• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

itsgreen

I REALLY hope this is one of those things where it all sounds worse than it actually is.

But damn, these aren't positive things.

madmackem

Hell, I bet people won't jump because of Gamerscore (achievements).

I hope ms doesnt hold the same views, i bet sony thought they had this gen on lock after the success of ps1 and ps2. Things can change in a second in this business we have seen it alot in the past.

I wonder what's making it that expensive. Kinect 2?

The subscription model is a good idea though, even if it will end up being a ripoff. People are already used to buying phones on contract. I think it will work well for Microsoft in this case.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
what do you think? They already got two exclusives underway from Epic and Crytek, I guess they could money hat Activision (CoD)and R* (GTAV)

Where is the evidence that Epic is making an exclusive game? I've seen people (you?) say this before and I have not seen anything.

Takuya

Banned
There's an "if" in the sentence you bolded, friend. I'm saying IF it happens it'll very interesting.

That's off-topic. This thread is about his rumors, if I just threw in any "if" to try and make my point valid, there would be no worthwhile discussion,

Where is the evidence that Epic is making an exclusive game? I've seen people (you?) say this before and I have not seen anything.

Microsoft already moneyhatted Gears of War.

$500 seems way too high, even if Kinect 2 is included. $300 with the subscription model is pretty nuts too.

Everyone thought that $149 for Kinect was too high as well.

People seem to think that Microsoft is going to be aggressive on price, when everything they've done this past gen seems to suggest that they are going for profit margin.

Xbox 360 has been priced at roughly the same place for ages, Kinect was expensive. This is a company that will be looking towards next-gen to recoup on their Xbox investment.

Tookay

Can Someone explain to me how the subscription based model will look attractive 2-3 years from now? By then, you're locking yourself into a console for years with next next gen right around the corner...

Maybe they plan on releasing frequent revisions of the 720, or something, akin to a phone?

Or they plan on this gen lasting a long time.

Cartman86

Banned
Can Someone explain to me how the subscription based model will look attractive 2-3 years from now? By then, you're locking yourself into a console for years with next next gen right around the corner...

The Xbox1080 will not be out in 2-4 years. You will own the box when you purchase it for $300 then must pay for Live or whatever service for 2 years. If you decide to stop you pay a fee to cancel. You can sell the box if you want. At least this is how phones work. How does the 360 at Microsoft stores work?

Its really not attractive at all. In fact MS don't want people to think its some freebie because those people are not safe liabilities. Its a finance option for people without $500 in the bank and who have been paying for Live anyway.

Its a decent way to do things if done right; for certain people.
If your not planning to get Live every month; buy it through some other credit option available to you.

Generally I don't see it as a big thing; it probably means quicker sales to some people but overall I think a lot of the supposed 'generation winning' deal was just fanboys wanting to shout $99 in response to anything.

Its nice; but its not a significant issue.

AOC83

Banned
what do you think? They already got two exclusives underway from Epic and Crytek, I guess they could money hat Activision (CoD)and R* (GTAV)

No, not really. That would cost an insane amount of money and i doubt Sony would just sit there and do nothing.

That's off-topic. This thread is about his rumors, if I just threw in any "if" to try and make my point valid, there would be no worthwhile discussion

....what? What point am I trying to make valid? All I said was that it would make for an interesting situation to see if people would be less willing to jump ship or not.

Yeah

Gamerscore will have more sway than online DRM for a significant amount of people IMO.

Why would they care about achievements for games they can't play on the next system? Unless your literally talking about the number.... Then lol no way. People moved to different platforms and left a lot more important things behind then a high score.

No BC I could live with - I understand the technical and monetary reasons for companies not including it. I also have no idea how the architecture differs from 360 and what their future Xbox plans are. That being said though, MS's coffers are bigger than Sony's these days, so they could probably afford to take a loss on a hardware BC solution.

That price is horrendous although deep down i'm anticipating the PS4 will be in the same ball park, if not more (since Durango appears to be weaker on paper - but this also depends on if Kinect 2 will be bundled in the box and inflate the RRP).

Zero excuse for always online however - which is looking all but confirmed - and ultimately that's the reason why I will not be buying one this gen.

Boss Man

Why would they care about achievements for games they can't play on the next system? Unless your literally talking about the number.... Then lol no way. People moved to different platforms and left a lot more important things behind then a high score.
I don't think I agree with this. What more important things have been left behind? Achievements have become a big deal for a lot of people.

UberTag

Aside from Nintendo, we won't be getting another Microsoft or Sony console until 2021 or 2022. If then...

TANKFARM

If most of these rumors are true, I would wager that Microsoft has lined up agreements with cable/internet providers to use their hardware.

sono

I really do not understand the need to be always online to work. For that + $500 they need to make me clearly understand the upside to consider it.

Thinking about this literally gives me a stress headache!

I don't think I agree with this. What more important things have been left behind? Achievements have become a big deal for a lot of people.

People have left behind whole franchises... Mario, Zelda, tc.

People have left behind whole families to move to different countries

Are you seriously suggesting that gamer scores are more important than Zelda, Mario, and family?

salromano

I transcribed a bunch of this, but got bored. Here:

"The next Xbox is code-named Durango. And we have talked for a while about this notion that there might be another version of the Xbox that was just aimed at entertainment—a non-gaming device. That device was code-named 'Yumo' and they're not making it. They may make one in the future, but it's not happening this year.

"So the new Xbox that comes out this year will just be the Xbox. And I mentioned before they're also going to sell a new Xbox 360 code-named 'Stingray' that will be $99. And you might look at that as two things: backwards compatibility, obviously, suggesting—I don't actually know this for a fact, but based on the fact that they're making one—I don't think that the new Xbox will play 360 games. But that I don't actually know, that I'm guessing. But, the other one is that, $99, that's a real coo price. And so we know that the Xbox 360 does Netflix, Hulu Plus, yada yada yada, and you can make the argument that's kind of a low cost entertainment device, too.

"Durango is going to be expensive [laughs], you know $500, $300 for the subscription, that kind of thing, but you know, Blu-ray, blah blah blah, but the thing that interest me, going back and looking at some of the stuff I got a long time ago, it actually says 'must be internet-connected to use' in the notes. And that's all I have, but it does say that.

[Is that a bad thing?]

"I don't know because I don't know what it means. You know, when you look at some of the stories that were coming out this week about, you know, I saw a headline that said something like 'Next Xbox could be okay without an internet connection for as long as 3 minutes' or something like that. I don't even know what that means, so for me, Xbox 360 is almost entirely an online experience. Most of the games I play are multiplayer, where you're playing against other people online. Or you're using it as an entertainment device when you're connected to a service like Netflix or Xbox video, so that is an internet-connected device. In this phrase, it says 'must be internet-connected to use', you know, that suggests that you can't even boot into the UI and play—I don't know, I don't know, I don't have one.

"Originally, they were going to announce this thing in April—April 24—now they're going to announce it May 21. We know there are events occuring this year where we're going to learn more about Durango.

[And it's a fourth quarter release, right?]

"Early November, yeah. E3 is going to occur. BUILD is going to occur in San Francisco in June when they're going to talk about the developer story because it's a Windows 8 device. It's going to have the same, or basically the same, developer tools and developer APIs and all that kind of stuff. So I think there's a lot information to come, but I look at all this stuff that I've seen about Durango and I think, 'it's all positive.' I don't really see any bad news here at all. Like to me, everything I've seen about this is really positive. It's amazing to me that, based on like no information at all, everyone is like freaking out about everything. Aside from this online thing, by the way, the number one question I've gotten from people is, 'What does it look like?' Who gives a shit what it looks like?

"I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? No, but you've seen literally nothing from Microsoft.

[I don't think that's even a possibility considering how many people use Xbox LIVE... You're not going to have this mass Xbox audience jumping to Sony.]

"The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I think it's all conjecture based off of past history and the woeful state that the UE4 tech demos on PS4 were in. Unless it's a multiplatform game early in development, if they were working on PS4 hardware for a game they would have a lot more knowledge of its guts.

Yikes! Microsoft really is providing a great "Jump Out" point for 360 owners, aren't they? :/

No, not really. That would cost an insane amount of money and i doubt Sony would just sit there and do nothing.
They'll just do what they always do in cases like that, moneyhat dlc and make sure they have the "best version". And Sony likely won't/can't do anything about it.

I assume the ps4 would be at that price. Highly doubt it would be 399 like people keep hoping for some reason. Just cant see it at 399 maybe 449 for basic model.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony should do a "jumping ship" promotion.

If you switch from a 360 and have at least 10K gamerpoints, here you go, a free year of plus.

Tookay

I really do not understand the need to be always online to work. For that + $500 they need to make me clearly understand the upside to consider it.

Thinking about this literally gives me a stress headache!

There isn't an upside, but a billion dollar marketing campaign will try its best to make you forget it.

Top Bottom