• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Paul Thurrott: Xbox 720 is expensive: $500 or $300 for sub model, 5/21 Unveil

Meelow

Banned
1.6GHz x86 cores aren't emulating 3.2GHz PowerPC cores.

If they aren't including the 360 SOC in Durango then there won't be any BC..

That's why I am speculating only.

Aside from Nintendo, we won't be getting another Microsoft or Sony console until 2021 or 2022. If then...

Wii 3 = 2018
PS5 = 2019
X1080 = 2019

No way both Sony and Microsoft will let Nintendo have a 3 year start

B.O.O.M

That's off-topic. This thread is about his rumors, if I just threw in any "if" to try and make my point valid, there would be no worthwhile discussion,

Microsoft already moneyhatted Gears of War.

Would the gears xbox exclusivity a contract made early in it's life? I mean Epic will be letting go of a significant amount of revenue if they stick to the nextbox alone. MS will need to moneyhat big time (they do have the money I guess)

Boss Man

People have left behind whole franchises... Mario, Zelda, tc.

People have left behind whole families to move to different countries

Are you seriously suggesting that gamer scores are more important than Zelda, Mario, and family?
Uh, obviously I meant in the context of video games...

And I think that for many people, gamerscore is at least as big as franchises. Franchises can be replaced with other franchises. Losing your gamerscore (if you care a lot about it) is like years of work flushed down the drain.

I'm not saying no one will be able to give that up, I'm just acknowledging that there is indeed something to the argument that people are more tied to platforms right now than they had been before. I don't know how strong that effect will be, but I think it's interesting at least.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well first, Epic's partnership with MS was extremely successful. Second, Epic's logo wasn't present here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RiNGZMx2vhY#t=5227s pretty obvious really...

You don't think that is kind of a leap to say that Epic is developing something exclusive (especially given that Epic said Fortnite is the first project that will be released from them)?

It's entirely possible, but I thought there was some kind of announcement.

Didn't MS spend half a billion dollars to secure GTAIV DLC for 1 year?

No, they made a $50MM loan to Take Two.

AngryMoth

How do people expect the sub model will work? I often see people suggest that you would have to sign up for 3 years of live but that only totals $180 and I assume you'll have to end up paying more in the long run for a $299 model else why the hell would anyone ever buy the more expensive version.

AOC83

Banned
Where the 360 is the top-selling console for a few years now?

And don't be obtuse. Do you have sales numbers for the subscription model? And do you even know where it was (and wasn't) sold?

The NPD numbers didn´t show a significant increase and that is really all we need to know.
In fact they are even decreasing .

I think it's all conjecture based off of past history and the woeful state that the UE4 tech demos on PS4 were in. Unless it's a multiplatform game early in development, if they were working on PS4 hardware for a game they would have a lot more knowledge of its guts.

Great point, that demo looked terrible...and it seems they got the PS4 dev kits recently.

Sony should do a "jumping ship" promotion.

If you switch from a 360 and have at least 10K gamerpoints, here you go, a free year of plus.

Of just accept that gamerpoints mean fuck all and stopped having much meaning half way through the gen? There a gimmick. No one will care going next gen.

How do people expect the sub model will work? I often see people suggest that you would have to sign up for 3 years of live but that only totals $180 and I assume you'll have to end up paying more in the long run for a $299 model else why the hell would anyone ever buy the more expensive version.

I don't know how, but I do know MS will make it so that the $300 buyers end paying a lot more eventually. This is all a game.

Kusagari

I'm really curious to see what the subscription model would entail.

Like has been said, if it's just subscribing to Live then why wouldn't 99% of people just buy that version to begin with?

Dipswitch

I resigned myself one or two years ago to waiting at least a year before buying either of the new consoles. A $500 non subscription price just makes it that much easier to stomach.

Of course, they might blow me away with their proposed functionality and tempt a purchase. Only way I can possibly conceive them getting me off the fence day one is if they incorporate al la carte IPTV and DVR functionality into the device and that allows me to drop my regular cable service/DVR and save money that way. And even then it would still be a tough sale.

Donos

evilore do you see that? neogaf's body won't be ready for E3. It will be carnival of stupid and mayhem all around. This year is already great. *popcorn.gif"

Duxxy3

Sub model is $15 a month.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
If true:

Goddamn take out the fucking Kinect and EyeToy garbage out of your systems, Microsoft and Sony, the 1 1/2 genres that it isn't absolutely abominable for aren't worth the goddamn added price. It also makes me petrified of the next PS4 price.
Seriously. I don't want it, I'll rarely use it, and I don't want to pay for it.

You don't think that is kind of a leap to say that Epic is developing something exclusive (especially given that Epic said Fortnite is the first project that will be released from them)?

It's entirely possible, but I thought there was some kind of announcement.

I was talking about their new IP, the next AAA game by Epic, that will be exclusive for Durango. Fornite looks like a $10 downloadable game

Boss Man

The NPD numbers didn´t show a significant increase and that is really all we need to know.
That's not all we need to know at all. Not only is the situation different because you would have been 'buying into' an old device, but you'd have to account for the fact that sales were probably already decreasing. Maybe the subscription model made them decrease more slowly.

People seem to like subscription models the U.S. I think they'll eat it up for a fancy new console.

DesertFox

That's why I am speculating only.

Wii 3 = 2018
PS5 = 2019
X1080 = 2019

But shouldn't Nintendo release something in 2014 like "Wii: Us Tuu" to match the specs of the PS4/Durango?

Game Guru

Wasn't the lowest priced PS3 $499 at launch while the lowest priced 360 was $299?

Wow... Sony really might have this generation in the bag, since the only potential issue is the $299 subscription model... which they could easily counter by having a subscription model of their own for the PS4.

So you don't have sales numbers? And you don't care how limited it's availability is at retail? And you don't care that it was a clear test? And you don't care that the model has been incredibly successful in other spaces?

I'm not sure how to have a rational conversation with you.

Wii 3 = 2018
PS5 = 2019
X1080 = 2019

I think by that point PlayStation or/and Xbox will evolve to dedicated services rather than dedicated boxes. They're both already headed that direction.

A decade from now I only really see Nintendo still putting out a "console" as we know it, and looking like a dinosaur in the process. And even then it'll probably be a hybrid handheld thingy unifying their DS and Wii product lines into one.

bluehat9

They charge you the monthly rate, not the yearly rate.

indeed. Seems akin to buying a cell phone on contract vs unlocked. Normal consumers love their subsidies and will ignore/deal with consequences later.
That's exactly what this looks like. The $500 non-subsidized SKU makes the $300 plus subscription version seem like a no-brainer to most people. And 360 users are already conditioned to paying for Gold, so I think it could work out for Microsoft. I wonder how much profit the $500 SKU will make at launch. A $200 premium to be free of a subscription makes me think its a bit over the BOM costs.

i-Lo

Yikes, is it noticeably weaker, Matt?

Is this Matt person in the know?

There isn't an upside, but a billion dollar marketing campaign will try its best to ignore it.

Well if it's $300+subscription then all of a sudden a lot more people will initially line up. A friend of mine who works as a business analyst for a major retail firm said to me once that average consumers are of average to less than average intelligence who can be seduced by marketing, if it is done right.

Most people won't care about always online requirement until they don't run into problems themselves.

Sub models work because for many people it's simply a case of, 'here's a $500 product, and here's the same product for $300, how much do you want to pay?' - basically, the actual sub fees aren't as big a factor than the considerable discount you get on the day. It's just like opening a store card, you go into a store and pay $80 for some clothes, but you're offered a store card and a 20% discount on the day, so people think, 'oh I'm saving $16 right now? sign me up!' because the sub fees come in somewhere in the future. It's all about that impulse discount.

Raven77

So he can confirm that the system DOES require an online connection, costs $500, AND is not backwards compatible and then follows it up with saying nothing he has heard sounds negative???

Uh, that's a pretty big negative for anyone that actually UNDERSTANDS the ramifications of an always online requirement. It is also a big negative for backwards compatibility lovers.

I shudder to think what he WOULD consider negative..."to buy it you must sell your soul."...

So with Nintendo being the only one offering backwards compatibility (and paying the price for it), having an "always online" console for server side authentication pretty much means your games will be inaccessible once the following generation transition starts? Yeah, good luck with that, MS.

eot

Banned
I transcribed a bunch of this, but got bored. Here:

"The problem Microsoft has has nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo anymore, it's Roku and AppleTV. The market for hardcore video games, the market of people will always buy the next Gears of War game, the next Halo game, the next Call of Duty game, it's fairly finite. It's a decent market, yada yada yada, it's not the market for tablets, it's not the market for smartphones."

I hope for MS's own sake they don't think they can count on "core" (ugh) gamers gravitating to the xbox just out of habit.

Takuya

Banned
So? Same logic will still apply. Pay $15 a month after you buy the subsidized console. There is no reason they won't offer it at retail.

I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.

With the rumors of it having set-top box functionality, you'll be able to get it through your cable provider subsidized, or pay the subsidized fee upfront for an expensive $500~ retail model.

Sony should do a "jumping ship" promotion.

If you switch from a 360 and have at least 10K gamerpoints, here you go, a free year of plus.

Sony should do a "search and rescue" promotion, have Tretton, Yoshida and Cerny pulling people out of the water after jumping off the sinking xboat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Things are looking worse and worse for MS. $500 or $300 with sub? If all this is true, they could be shooting themselves in the foot even more.

My console of choice this gen was 360 but I don't have or worry about allegiances so switching to Sony looks more like a reality if the rumors are true. All I care about at this point is the Halo franchise, which drew me in this gen. I'd hate to that series die should the Next Xbox fail miserably.

Top Bottom