• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PS5 to have 650GB of usable storage

Are people acting surprised that the advertised storage amount isn't actually available to the consumer? I don't think I've ever bought an HDD or SSD that didn't have some part of it's capacity set aside for other things. Yes it's an odd number but the way they designed their SSD means it works best that way, otherwise it would have to be double the size and that'd be too expensive.

skneogaf

It really should only be used for exclusive games if you're someone like me who tends to buy everything so any other non pc games I will have on my future series x and the rest pc.

Although if the series x is able give me a nice vrr 4k 120hz 4.4.4 10bit dolby atmos experience then I may be using the xbox series x for everything but playstation exclusives.

This is coming from that Ironman twitter account and I don’t be a word of it. That account’s track record has been garbage.

Last edited:
if more resources are dedicated to the operating system them before then I would hope it's a much smoother running operating system. That's a bonus to me and since I have no problem limiting myself to one or two games at a time this isn't going to really matter to me.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
This is one part of next gen I am not looking forward to.

Both consoles are going to have issues with storage. Those little proprietary Xbox expansion cards are going be expensive and upgrading the PS5 SSD will be both expensive and frustrating for the average user trying to sort through which ones work and which ones don't.

Curious to see what the failure rates are on both Xbox +PS drives with constant reads/writes as people juggle installs.

Sounds pretty suspect to me, however if true I would imagine it has more to do with reserving space to use the SSD as ram (they mentioned this didn't they?) than allocating all that space for the OS

Allandor

Well actually it should be less if the OS reserves 175GB. The PS5 has 768GiB (825GB ... the 1000 & 1024 thing ;) ). If the OS reserves 175GiB than just 593 GiB are available. If the OS reserve space is given in GB the OS than 605 GiB are available for games.

Codes 208

That was expected. How much was it said to have initially? like 860gb or so? The OS always takes a huge chunk out of that

edit: ah, so 825. Strange they went with such an odd number rather than a full terabyte, not that that would make too drastic of a difference

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Better bulk up the bank account to add on a PC verified SSD that works on PS5.

How much does a super fast PC one with similar speed cost? $300+???

And if you do buy a high end Samsung PC SSD, can you add it to the internal SSD via a port? Or do you have to swap out the internal SSD for a new one?

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No they said their SSDs were fast, and you couldnt get one in a store yet- but that youd use an off the shelf
SSD that meets their minimum speed requirements and their controller in the consoles will treat it like
the "special" SSD inside- making it functionally identical.
Big if true

Better bulk up the bank account to add on a PC verified SSD that works on PS5.

How much does a super fast PC one with similar speed cost? $300+???

And if you do buy a high end Samsung PC SSD, can you add it to the internal SSD via a port? Or do you have to swap out the internal SSD for a new one?
Or you wait a year to expand and its like 100 bucks...

Sleepwalker

Ya.

It has to be verified as compatible, where Cerny seemed to hint it has to be at least 5.5gb/s like the PS5 SSD.

So what PS5 gamers have to do is find PC SSDs that are not only that fast, but also verified as compatible.

Who knows how many PC SSDs at launch will even qualify.

This. Basically they have to be "sony certified"

Allandor

That’s a lot of OS . Personally I think it‘s pure BS .
Not really. I think they also reserve space vor overprovisioning so the SSD doesn't write itself dead.
I expect the same amount (if not more) reserved for the OS on the Xbox Series x.

Last edited:
It kind of makes sense that it reserves a lot of storage when it has a quick resume feature like Series X. You need to save the game state that is in the RAM somewhere, so if we have 14GB of usable RAM and we can save 5 games that's 70GB that needs to be reserved, then the other shit the OS takes up and I can see the whole OS reserving over 100GB.

But that quick resume thing should be customizable to reduce the size it reserves, or we should be able to deactivate it completely.

This. Basically they have to be "sony certified"

No, they will test and recommend drives, but essentially it will work like previous Sony consoles, you'll use one of any off-the-shelf drive.
No certification required but they WILL test and let people know what they know 100% works.... Im sure early on that will be useful info but
in a year or two drives that are even faster than required will be a dime a dozen.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's probably going to be enough for all those good exlusive games per gen. If TLoU 2 is anything to go by.

Last edited:
Ya.

It has to be verified as compatible, where Cerny seemed to hint it has to be at least 5.5gb/s like the PS5 SSD.

So what PS5 gamers have to do is find PC SSDs that are not only that fast, but also verified as compatible.

Who knows how many PC SSDs at launch will even qualify.

No... Nothing needs to be verified. They will test some drives so people know, early on, whats fast enough.
There isnt a "Whitelist" of drives. You need to find the SSD that meets the requirements and they'll recommend some
they know for sure are. It will only be an issue for a while until your run of the mill new SSD is that speed, a year maybe.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No... Nothing needs to be verified. They will test some drives so people know, early on, whats fast enough.
There isnt a "Whitelist" of drives. You need to find the SSD that meets the requirements and they'll recommend some
they know for sure are. It will only be an issue for a while until your run of the mill new SSD is that speed, a year maybe.
In other words, Sony will dictate to gamers which PC SSDs work and which ones don't.

Last edited:
In other words, Sony will dictate to gamers which PC SSDs work and which ones don't.

Nope. LOL. They'll let you know which companies are making a drive as fast as the storage in their console so you can
buy one, or you can shop for one with the correct speed and it 'll work assuming the manufactures claims are true... its not Sonys fault if you
buy a drive they didnt test and its not fast enough to work.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It kind of makes sense that it reserves a lot of storage when it has a quick resume feature like Series X. You need to save the game state that is in the RAM somewhere, so if we have 14GB of usable RAM and we can save 5 games that's 70GB that needs to be reserved, then the other shit the OS takes up and I can see the whole OS reserving over 100GB.

But that quick resume thing should be customizable to reduce the size it reserves, or we should be able to deactivate it completely.
Current consoles eat up around 100+ gb of space already, so if it's 175, that's not out of scope.

It just looks bad for PS5 when the starting number is only 825 to begin with (were talking going back in time as all recent Xbox and PS4s are 1tb) and it will finalize at a certain lower number after the OS.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Ps5 won't let you play Ps5 games with externals just Ps4 (some) games because they don't have the POWER of Sony's proprietary ssd!

That's not counter to what I posted. Near line storage isn't a new concept. Keep active games on the SSD. Keep unused games on near line storage that can be moved back to active storage when needed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Run of the mill?

1TB Gen 3 is still $100+
1TB Gen 4 is closer to $200+
A final flash Gen 4 is easily going to be 250 dollars......and there wont be run of the mill final flash Gen 4s until Gen 5s are here.

Top Bottom