• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - PS5 to have 650GB of usable storage

Run of the mill?

1TB Gen 3 is still $100+
1TB Gen 4 is closer to $200+
A final flash Gen 4 is easily going to be 250 dollars......and there wont be run of the mill final flash Gen 4s until Gen 5s are here.

Do yo know what Run of the mill means? "run of the mill new SSD " is what I said meaning what.. your average new -release SSD will hit those
specs a year after those drives are already available. Thats 100% expected.

MrFunSocks

Banned
That's like the other way of the rumor that RedGamingTech just reported on. PS5 has 1TB, explains that 1TB is not actually 1TB but slight more or whatever, and then 175 is taken up by the "OS" or something like that and the usable storage is 825GB. But this rumor says the it's actually 825GB with 175GB reversed for OS so actually only 650GB 🤔 Someone is off.

I'll wait on official numbers. I do enjoy the mini-meltdowns whenever a rumor like this pops up LOL
Didn’t Sony announce that it’s an 850GB drive or something around there? Pretty sure they never said 1TB.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn’t Sony announce that it’s an 850GB drive or something around there? Pretty sure they never said 1TB.
825 gb.

Sour fans are trying to spin it as 825 gb of usable space for gamers where the actual SSD storage is unknown since Sony doesn't want to disclose how much the OS uses.

So instead o saying it's 1 tb and 825 gb left for gamers, Sony is promoting PS5 right to the point..... 825gb for gamers.

Crazy spin.

Last edited:

Ellery

That’s not a thing though?

Well I have no insider information so I am just as in the dark as you, but there was a very early rumor (2-3 months ago or so) about a PS5 for like 600£ + with 2TB.
Might've been a fake listing or so, but I still hope for a bigger storage PS5 at launch.

825GB just doesn't seem that much to be honest in late 2020.

You're right, they did, that's not whats in dispute according to rumors. The rumor that RedGamingTech reported on is saying that they're displaying what's available, 825GB, they already removed the 175GB that is reserved for OS or whatever. Versus advertising 1TB but you get it it's 825 because they need the 175 for OS/Whatever . The rumor in this thread is stating that 825GB is the reported, before any of it is reserved for OS/whatever. There are two competing rumors right now. The latter is pretty much a standard practice. The usable storage amount is almost always less than what's advertised. I've seen people go ape shit over this kind of stuff.

Last edited:
The hell would the OS need 175GB for?

You lose 7% in formatting, which would be only 50GB of that.

A lot of new UNIX/POSIX filesystems actually use even less overhead.

What nobody has speculated about yet is- caching? Is that a possibility?
XBOX has been talking a lot about "velocity arch" and 100gb of "virtual ram"

I wonder if some portion of the PS5 disk is reserved so this can be tapped no matter
how much is installed on the system, a guarantee'd scratch space?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well I have no insider information so I am just as in the dark as you, but there was a very early rumor (2-3 months ago or so) about a PS5 for like 600£ + with 2TB.
Might've been a fake listing or so, but I still hope for a bigger storage PS5 at launch.

825GB just doesn't seem that much to be honest in late 2020.
I wouldn't trust any rumour, and even any real website listing with a weird config unless the console maker officially states it.

I remember seeing real listings for Xbox One X with a 2tb drive, but I don't think MS ever released one that big. Instead it was some third party reseller doing the 2tb themselves.

The Alien

Banned
Also thats not what the tweet says

It says 825gb isnt 1tb-175gb.

Then it says there will be just over 700gb usable space for the user.

He's saying its not starting at 1Tb with 175gb removed to get to 825gb. But rather it is starting at 825gb then 125gb removed for OS leaving 600gb for games, etc.

LordOfChaos

A lot of new UNIX/POSIX filesystems actually use even less overhead.

What nobody has speculated about yet is- caching? Is that a possibility?
XBOX has been talking a lot about "velocity arch" and 100gb of "virtual ram"

I wonder if some portion of the PS5 disk is reserved so this can be tapped no matter
how much is installed on the system, a guarantee'd scratch space?

Reasonable idea. Though if you can decompress and throw any texture or data into main RAM without any CPU load and with minimum latency already, do you need such a dedicated scratchpad, what would the difference be? Not sure.

Reasonable idea. Though if you can decompress and throw any texture or data into main RAM without any CPU load and with minimum latency already, do you need such a dedicated scratchpad, what would the difference be? Not sure.

Not even going to try to speculate. If Sony really is reserving so much space... it could only be for things like scratch space for patching,
apps, swap partition.... things like that . I wont even pretend to know for sure, but I know if its more than like 50gb its 100% not just the bare OS
and supporting libraries given we also just heard their OS memory footprint is like a couple gigs.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do yo know what Run of the mill means? "run of the mill new SSD " is what I said meaning what.. your average new -release SSD will hit those
specs a year after those drives are already available. Thats 100% expected.

Thats still not true because manufacturers will keep using the cheaper Phison E16 or SMI which are still considered premium controllers, even when the Phison E18 controller drops it wont be in run of the mill SSDs, it will be a super premium product

Run of the mill is a saying basically meaning generic or common not special.
A premium component is not going to be that the same year it is released.

anothertech

He's taking this from the 2GB memory requirement for the OS news.

He totally botched it though, as that has nothing to do with storage requirement.

TLDR: he knows jack shit lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thats still not true because manufacturers will keep using the cheaper Phison E16 or SMI which are still considered premium controllers, even when the Phison E18 controller drops it wont be in run of the mill SSDs, it will be a super premium product

Exactly.

The best hope for "run of the mill SSD" is that PS5 can work with PC SSDs of any speed. They won't.

It sounded like PS5 has to be a minimum 5.5gb/s in those Cerny slides. So the next "run of the mill" is assuming any PC SSD 5.5gb/s or faster will work. They won't.

Sony will have to clearly tell gmaers which work or don't either by being nitpicky with actual product codes, or doing it such a s way that a minimum stated metric works wonders.

Even with Xbox One and PS4, I believe the minimum spec is a USB 3.0 HDD and a certain minimum amount of storage gb. And it also maxes out at a certain amount too.

We'll have to wait and see what Sony's SSD compatible criteria is.

Last edited:

Yes. run of the mill means not special. You think after Christmas 2021 new release SSDs are going to be slower than 5.5gbps?
I am not saying some random budget SSDs wont exist, of course, but its not going to be anywhere near weird, special or exotic
to have a ~7gbps SSD on the market. If Sony says you need one about that speed, youll be able to choose from probably 50-100 models
across a dozen brands in various sizes. Arguing this is like being pissed at Sony for using a 2.5 inch drive in the PS3 because it was
a laptop drive and not as common as a 3.5 inch drive, .... a couple years later they were cheap and plentiful in sizes much larger
than what the system came with. This will be similar, especially with an entire market of millions of new potential buyers of such SSDs you
may even see these companies specifically go out of their way to mention its suitable for a PS5.

Chairman

Banned
2 gigs of ram for OS and 100+ gigs of SSD, it cant be just for quick resume games. I hope sony has something cool planned for the UI.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yes. run of the mill means not special. You think after Christmas 2021 new release SSDs are going to be slower than 5.5gbps?
I am not saying some random budget SSDs wont exist, of course, but its not going to be anywhere near weird, special or exotic
to have a ~7gbps SSD on the market. If Sony says you need one about that speed, youll be able to choose from probably 50-100 models
across a dozen brands in various sizes. Arguing this is like being pissed at Sony for using a 2.5 inch drive in the PS3 because it was
a laptop drive and not as common as a 3.5 inch drive, .... a couple years later they were cheap and plentiful in sizes much larger
than what the system came with. This will be similar, especially with an entire market of millions of new potential buyers of such SSDs you
may even see these companies specifically go out of their way to mention its suitable for a PS5.
You're assuming blanket compatibility based on any PC SSD at 5.5gb/s spec.

If it was that easy, Sony would have officially stated that from day one. They haven't.

Exactly.

The best hope for "run of the mill SSD" is that PS5 can work with PC SSDs of any speed. They won't.

It sounded like PS5 has to be a minimum 5.5gb/s in those Cerny slides. So the next "run of the mill" is assuming any PC SSD 5.5gb/s or faster will work. They won't.

Sony will have to clearly tell gmaers which work or don't either by being nitpicky with actual product codes, or doing it such a s way that a minimum stated metric works wonders.

Even with Xbox One and PS4, I believe the minimum spec is a USB 3.0 HDD and a certain minimum amount of storage gb. And it also maxes out at a certain amount too.

We'll have to wait and see what Sony's SSD compatible criteria is.

Cerny said basically anything will work as long as its about 7gbps to account for overhead, and its physical dimensions are such that it
fits in the system.

This is a far cry from Microsofts "buy the disk in the caddy we sell you" a lot like the early Xbox 360 MS branded drives that cost double what a bare disk cost for the plastic caddy.
The vita comes to mind as well, which people complain about often.

DonF

Gold Member
I have a 2 tb drive on my pro since launch. It's going to be weird going back to such a small drive

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cerny said basically anything will work as long as its about 7gbps to account for overhead, and its physical dimensions are such that it
fits in the system.

This is a far cry from Microsofts "buy the disk in the caddy we sell you" a lot like the early Xbox 360 MS branded drives that cost double what a bare disk cost for the plastic caddy.
The vita comes to mind as well, which people complain about often.
That's even worse. 7gb/s.

And as you said from Cerny "about 7gb/s". So even with your blanket speed assumption will work wonders, you don't even know if 7gb/s even qualifies.

You're assuming blanket compatibility based on any PC SSD at 5.5gb/s spec.

If it was that easy, Sony would have officially stated that from day one. They haven't.

I never assumed. Are you reading? It has to be 7gbps per Sony, he went into detail on what the needed specs are and
Since SONY cant control what other companies release, you wont have total blanket compatibility- But in general Sony is not
the one deciding what you buy, you're free to buy any compatible released product and put it inside your system just like with PS3 and PS4
there are 2.5 inch disks that were too THICK to fit into those systems too, but that didnt mean Sony was deciding what you could fit.
You cant put a 3.5 inch disk drive in a PS4 (unless you do a custom install with an external enclosure which you can do of course) .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I never assumed. Are you reading? It has to be 7gbps per Sony, he went into detail on what the needed specs are and
Since SONY cant control what other companies release, you wont have total blanket compatibility- But in general Sony is not
the one deciding what you buy, you're free to buy any compatible released product and put it inside your system just like with PS3 and PS4
there are 2.5 inch disks that were too THICK to fit into those systems too, but that didnt mean Sony was deciding what you could fit.
You cant put a 3.5 inch disk drive in a PS4 (unless you do a custom install with an external enclosure which you can do of course) .
If there' no blanket compatibility as some of us are saying , then what's with your "run of the mill SSD will work"?

That's even worse. 7gb/s.

And as you said from Cerny "about 7gb/s". So even with your blanket speed assumption will work wonders, you don't even know if 7gb/s even qualifies.

LOL youre grasping at straws. How is it worse?

Its a fast SSD in the unit, if you dont want to gimp your unit with some third party's slower component , you find one that will keep up with the PS5's storage.
There is literally nothing to complain about here. I never made an assumption... This is Mark Cerny's estimation of overhead requirement.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL youre grasping at straws. How is it worse?

Its a fast SSD in the unit, if you dont want to gimp your unit with some third party's slower component , you find one that will keep up with the PS5's storage.
There is literally nothing to complain about here. I never made an assumption... This is Mark Cerny's estimation of overhead requirement.
Sure you did. "Run of the mill".

Ok, when PS5 releases in November, we'll see how many "run of the mill PC SSDs" work at launch and even a year from now.

If there' no blanket compatibility as some of us are saying , then what's with your "run of the mill SSD will work"?

After December 2021, SSDs doing 7gbps will be common. Your standard run of the mill new release SSD ( meaning not one on black friday closeout that is a 2020 model )
will be fast enough. This "assumption" is based on the fact that you can get SSDs this year that are fast enough. If you think the market will begin to release slower SSDs
than what they release this year and its going to be hard to find an SSD that meets those requirements... please explain why.

Last edited:

reptilex

Banned
This is getting worse and worse...if it's true. It's the first time in...ever that none of my colleagues want to get or work on PS5.

Sure you did. "Run of the mill".

Ok, when PS5 releases in November, we'll see how many "run of the mill PC SSDs" work at launch and even a year from now.

Run of the mill means "Not special or exotic" basically. It doesnt mean "every". To say your run of the mill PC made in 2020 can run Fortnite doesnt mean a CHROMEBOOK will.
And it doesnt make the statement wrong.

MrS

Banned
I'd wait on Sony to talk about this..... there is a lot of FUD being spread due to how one-sided things are right now.

Just wait.
If the info is wrong, they should be out here squashing it and not allowing it to creative negative publicity. This could be cleared up with a tweet, so lets not get too defensive for Sony on this one my man.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Yes.
New SSDs are still coming out that are using the older controllers....and thats not going to change when the new expensive controllers hit the market in 2021.
The new controllers will be super premium.
Right now we dont even have run of the mill early gen4s.
You think by end of next year....run of the mill gen4s will be using the brand new fast controllers??
You say 100s of models and all that as if every manufacturer is making their own controllers.....there are actually alot fewer controller makers than you clearly think there are.....if the controller is expensive the whole SSD is going to be expensive, if you arent a company that has a premium tag you wont even bother trying to sell a super premium product in 2021.

Get real son.
Final Flash Gen 4 controllers are not going to be run of the mill anytime soon.

If the info is wrong, they should be out here squashing it and not allowing it to creative negative publicity. This could be cleared up with a tweet, so lets not get too defensive for Sony on this one my man.

Why bother when they'd need to do that every week

These things are inconsequential at the end of the day.

MrS

Banned
Why bother when they'd need to do that every week

These things are inconsequential at the end of the day.
When you're so secretive about your product, like Sony are being, people make up their own reality or fill in the gaps you've left from the info you've put out. That's exactly what's happening here and Sony only have themselves to blame. They could easily straighten this out and the secrecy is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Yes.
New SSDs are still coming out that are using the older controllers....and thats not going to change when the new expensive controllers hit the market in 2021.
The new controllers will be super premium.
Right now we dont even have run of the mill early gen4s.
You think by end of next year....run of the mill gen4s will be using the brand new fast controllers??
You say 100s of models and all that as if every manufacturer is making their own controllers.....there are actually alot fewer controller makers than you clearly think there are.....if the controller is expensive the whole SSD is going to be expensive, if you arent a company that has a premium tag you wont even bother trying to sell a super premium product in 2021.

Get real son.
Final Flash Gen 4 controllers are not going to be run of the mill anytime soon.

You're pissed about SOMETHING.
Im not new to this. I didnt say controller, I said options of brands to buy . If you think that ssds that will be compatible with the system will be rare... I feel sorry for you.
If you actually read my posts I said " Sony will test SSDs (per sony) but compatibility isnt limited to what they test, as they dont require some kind of whitelist or certification work.
Only that the specifications match. Do you challenge this?

I then said that it will be common to find an SSD whos rating will be high enough to match the speed requirement. Do you challenge this?

When did I mention price? Are fast SSDs cheap for PC but will cost extra for the PS5?
When did I say every / any?
When have I said anything that doesnt mirror or isnt implied by official information provided by Sony themselves? If so where and what?
Outside form factor and requirement of a heatsink as outlined by mark cerny, is there some special requirement that would make the
ssd not "run of the mill"? Does it have to be Sony branded? Does it have to be blessed by a priest? Does it have to be imported from Japan?

From what I can tell you'll be able to log onto NEWEGG or AMAZON and buy one, and they'll probably go out of their way to mention their SSD
works with the PS5 given the market for sales.

Top Bottom