• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) VGLeaks: Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in 2017 and coming to PC in 2018

MilkBeard

I would buy them all, honestly.
I always expected some kind of compilation for the 30th anniversary and they even released this video: http://youtu.be/ZnCEhPOuwgU a few months ago.
Anyway, I'm definitely expecting Dissidia on PS4. And maybe FF7R part 1.

Interesting. While this video doesn't confirm anything, I suppose some kind of FF collection is believable. The last one though, didn't it only release in Japan? I suppose now if they make it all on one PS4 disc, they could easily release it worldwide.

Why would it be weird? Square Enix clearly loves Steam and they already have a bunch of Final Fantasy games on Steam.

They even remade IV The After Years specifically for Steam.

Lol, didn't they repeatedly delay the FFVII PC Port on PS4? However, they've somehow managed to port the entire sub-HD series in time for the 30th Anniversary.

The PS4 port came out right after the gameplay reveal of the Remake, I wouldn't be surprised if they delayed it just because they wanted it to come out right after that. I doubt it actually took long to bring the game to PS4 and it would probably also take very little time to port all of those games to PS4.
2018 for XV on PC seems really long unless they're building it from the ground for it

I could see 2018 if they're waiting for all of the DLC before releasing it on PC.

Reminds me that the 25th anniversary wasn't that... eventful. We only got Theatrhythm for the year, yeah?

Also a 3-volume Memorial Ultimania (where we got a screenshot of FFVII SNES from):

hzR1ql.jpg

But yeah, not many new games...

JP

That Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection sounds amazing, would absolutely love it to be true.

Maybe if I dream hard enough, agree not to have any Christmas presents this year and promise to behave better from now on? Please?

Nothing here is exactly super unbelieveable. Having a collection of 9 retro games for 30th anniversary isn't something groundbreaking, XIII collection was always gonna happen.

The only one that I'm a lil sceptical about is VIIR next year considering how little we have seen. But then again it might be only the Midgar portion anyway, who knows about the lenght.

Xadjim

Banned
2018 for XV on PC seems really long unless they're building it from the ground for it

Probably just marketing thing. They want to keep milking console gamers like me for a while with dlc before releasing it on pc.

Consoles sale AAA stuff much better than PC

Probably just marketing thing. They want to keep milking console gamers like me for a while with dlc before releasing it on pc.

Consoles sale AAA stuff much better than PC

Depends. Milking console gamers means nothing. It's like claiming these are two overlapping audiences and that a PC version means less revenue from consoles.

Nzyme32

this sounds like way too much for one year... especially that ff collection

also ffxv pc in 2018? why

Something something Xbox Scorpio power of DX12 something something, Steam after that something something

Update: something something nah fam just got confused like with Nier Automata, we'll try and work out what's happening.

Lol, didn't they repeatedly delay the FFVII PC Port on PS4? However, they've somehow managed to port the entire sub-HD series in time for the 30th Anniversary.
It was delayed once, from Spring 2015 to December 2015. However they also released a mobile version of the game in that time.

If it's real then they would have been working on it for a while now. And they would have all of 2017 to do so as well.

They could also outsource it so other companies do the work so it doesn't impede on any other Business Divisions.

Xadjim

Banned
Depends. Milking console gamers means nothing. It's like claiming these are two overlapping audiences and that a PC version means less revenue from consoles.

I mean I would be considered a overlapping audience. Square Enix exclusives are pretty much the only thing that keeps me on consoles.

crimilde

Banned
The fact that this thread is still open is giving me more hope than I dared to feel when first seeing it. How awesome would be 2017 if we're actually getting all this? My god.

hank_tree

I assume Square were at least intending to release FF7R (part one) in 2017 as it's the 20th anniversary of FF7.

Who knows if they'll make it if not?

MilkBeard

I would be okay with VIIR Part I being only the Midgar section if Midgar was a fully developed city that you could explore to some extend, with some extra optional events/scenes added.

Anyone who knows anything about how games are developed cannot say this for certain. The more accurate rumour would be that Square is targeting 2017 for these things. For all we know it could be an easy target or a really aggressive one that they could easily miss. I'm betting on the latter.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Anyone hoping they release the Final Fantasy 7 remake a lot later? 2017 seems a bit too earlier for me, even for the first part. They haven't really been working on it for that long :/

DKHF

Anyone hoping they release the Final Fantasy 7 remake a lot later? 2017 seems a bit too earlier for me, even for the first part. They haven't really been working on it for that long :/
They've been working on it since at least mid-2014 so three and a half years doesn't seem too short for part 1.

They've been working on it since at least mid-2014 so three and a half years doesn't seem too short for part 1.

Yup, FFXV had 4-5 years and that time also included them having to make the engine.
VII remake has had an engine from the start, they have a game to base it on (though they are probably expanding certain things massively) and they are probably even going to be reusing as many assets as possible from FFXV, mainly enemy models. 3 and a half years for part 1 sounds fine to me.

Deadly

2018 would sound plausible for a PC FFXV. Gives time for all the DLC to be released and then a goty type rerelease on all platforms.

GunBR

I'm #TeamFake on this one

But, if it was true, release the collection on Vita would make sense because of the japanese market

dracula_x

SpaceWolf

Banned
I would be okay with VIIR Part I being only the Midgar section if Midgar was a fully developed city that you could explore to some extend, with some extra optional events/scenes added.

The whole appeal of the Midgar section for many fans though, is the fact that once you finally manage to escape the city...you quickly realize it was basically an extended tutorial section that has prepared for you venturing out into this infinitely larger and more complex world. Fans of the game often talk about that incredible feeling they got when they stepped out onto the world map for the first time, where it slowly dawned on them that the story was literally only just beginning. It does so much to establish the vastness of the world, as well as to evoke a kind of yearning for exploration that becomes vital to the player throughout the rest of the adventure.

Final_Fantasy_VII_(PSX)_048.png

In my opinion, if you literally transformed the Midgar prologue into a fully fledged, entirely separate installment as opposed to the rest of the game, it would not only disrupt the flow of the game at quite a fundamental level, it would almost kind of miss the point of why the Midgar section was chosen to serve as the prologue for the original game in the first place. It would ruin what made Midgar work so well, from both a narrative and gameplay perspective.

TannerDemoz

XIII collection will be controversial... but I do know it will pretty up very nicely. 4K mode on PS4 Pro, please.

It's a shame because I feel like new fans of Final Fantasy thanks to 15 are gonna buy it and be really underwhelmed/confused

God bless their souls if they make it as far as XIII-3

RiggyRob

That 30th Anniversary collection on PS4 and the Steam Season Pass including War of the Lions (never played) and Chrono Trigger sound amazing to me.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone saying too good to be true... ya'll already forgot about the E3 of all dreams.

Not saying I particularly believe VG leaks or anything, but just, after all why the fuck not ?

The whole appeal of the Midgar section for many fans though, is the fact that once you finally manage to escape the city...you quickly realize it was basically an extended tutorial section that has prepared for you venturing out into this infinitely larger and more complex world. Fans of the game often talk about that incredible feeling they got when they stepped out onto the world map for the first time, where it slowly dawned on them that the story was literally only just beginning. It does so much to establish the vastness of the world, as well as to evoke a kind of yearning for exploration that becomes vital to the player throughout the rest of the adventure.

In my opinion, if you literally transformed the Midgar prologue into a fully fledged, entirely separate installment as opposed to the rest of the game, it would not only disrupt the flow of the game at quite a fundamental level, it would almost kind of miss the point of why the Midgar section was chosen to serve as the prologue for the original game in the first place. It would ruin what made Midgar work so well, from both a narrative and gameplay perspective.
I don't think so. Midgar's story is perfect for a first part, assuming the massively expanded it. There is so much potential in a Midgar expanded to be an entire game.
I think the perfect split points for the game are

Part 1: Ends at the end of Midgar, but with a more dramatic boss at the end, maybe a new Jenova boss?

Part 2: Ends after Aerith's death.

Part 3: The rest of the game.

Assuming they are going for more parts than 2 there isn't really a way to cut it up more neatly than that I think.

MAtgS

A pity there's nothing about Switch versions. Can't imagine Nintendo NDAs are so severe that someone would leak all this & still be mum about any of it coming to NS, so I guess it's not getting them :(

0_o are the contents of those Ultimanias in japanese only or JPN/ENG?

JPN only 😢😢

I don't think so. Midgar's story is perfect for a first part, assuming the massively expanded it. There is so much potential in a Midgar expanded to be an entire game.
I think the perfect split points for the game are

Part 1: Ends at the end of Midgar, but with a more dramatic boss at the end, maybe a new Jenova boss?

Part 2: Ends after Aerith's death.

Part 3: The rest of the game.

Assuming they are going for more parts than 2 there isn't really a way to cut it up more neatly than that I think.

Rufus as the final boss of Part I is fine to me. Then the bike chase as the final set piece (interactive of course).

JPN only 😢😢

Rufus as the final boss of Part I is fine to me. Then the bike chase as the final set piece (interactive of course).

The Rufus fight is a cool moment, but that's not really final boss material. Maybe give him a mech or something part way through the fight.

BreakAtmo

This. Even a twice-the-size Midgar wouldn't be close to a full-length FF game the way they've said each part would be (16-20 hours at most instead of 30-50), and it would absolutely screw with the pacing. My personal bet is that we'll get 3 expanded parts, with the first covering the first continent (so everything up until they leave Junon). Not only would it fit much better content-wise and keep that feeling of stepping out of Midgar into the larger world, you also wouldn't need to make a new epic end-of-game boss (a Midgar-only Part 1 would have to either end with Motor Ball or something new, while the end of Junon comes pre-packaged with the first official fight with Jenova).

Philippo

I'm good with this.

Zodiac Age in Spring, Dissidia PS4 and FF Anniversary Collection in Summer, FFXIII Trilogy in September, FFVIIR Ep1 in November and a first CGI announcement trailer for FFXVI at The Game Awards/PSX in December.

Sounds good and i hope it's true!

Top Bottom