• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) VGLeaks: Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in 2017 and coming to PC in 2018

Mzo

I'd buy the shit out of the OG collection if it was consistent and had the original NES versions of 1, 2, and 3. We'll see.

Can't see the anniversary collection happening. All those games when SE could release them solo and charge more?

Not only that, VII already got an individual release....

The more I think about it, the less sense this rumor makes. Why would they release two huge remasters (XII and XIII) in the same year as a remake AND a collection? People will be fatigued.

They should stagger XIII's release to 2018.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Yeah I kind of assumed the first part of the remake was coming Holiday 2017. I don't see why that's shocking or anything..wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed too of course.

If the remake is going to release so soon, I'm scared for the quality.

Why? It's been in development since 2014, has aspects outsourced by groups solely dedicated to certain parts (so no bottle-necking, in theory), it's being broken into parts, and is using an extremely dev-friendly engine.

That said, I still think these rumors are hot air and I stick with my prediction of the first part of FFVII:RE releasing in 2018. A playable demo to commemorate the 20 Year Anniversary of VII seems more likely.
I think S-E will have some fun releases/announcements for us next year, but a collection with nine games for one price? Maybe it'll be some limited edition thing with an astronomical price, but S-E missing out on an opportunity to sell all of these (or at least break them up into generational trilogies) for $20-$30 a pop would seem uncharacteristically charitable for them.

I'd love to be wrong and all of these things happen, but yeah... I remain skeptical.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, right. I'll be amazed if they can get XII HD in a timely manner. This is SE after all.

giphy.gif

I don't believe the collection rumor at all, not because it would be hard for them to port these games but because it would be far more profitable to sell each game at $10-20, which they are already doing on PC and mobile.

This would mean that just so people can play two versions of each game, they will have to make sure both the NES/SNES and mobile versions are running properly. Especially with the new translations, it's just too much work for nothing, because very little people will care that they can play two versions of the same game.
Also, this would mean they have to port FFVIII over, which I don't think is that simple of a task, since they already had to put some work into FFVII's port, and a FFVIII port would also require a music patch (if it was good, at least).
FFIX is in Unity and already has some code for a Vita version, but that too would require extra coding work for a PS4 version.
Even if all of this was outsourced, that would require money that Square-Enix can get far more easily by selling each of these games at $10-20. The advantage gained by selling the compilation disc at full price could be good, but it would turn into a huge disadvantage for them as soon as it drops in price.

I do think FFVIIr part 1 is coming in 2017 or early 2018 though, but that doesn't make this rumor any more credible.

It's nonsense. Even moreso if it's including the mobile versions of FVII-IX, which aren't small games. There's no way they'll come on a Vita game card which maxes out at 4GB, and Squarenix have already shown themselves quick to avoid paying for pricier game cards. FFX required a separate download of FFX-2 on Vita, and World of Final Fantasy didn't include voices on-card.

Maybe if it had a limited print run with a high price point (say, $300), but that doesn't really seem like a product designed for everyone to celebrate the anniversary.

Scrawnton

Yeah, right. I'll be amazed if they can get XII HD in a timely manner. This is SE after all.

giphy.gif

I bet that games done and sitting on a shelf already. It's just positioning at this point. They're not gonna release it against FF15 or the DQ8 remake (which is January).

No Switch? Even not with a mobile version?
SE's CEO or at least one of the higher ups has stated that they want their old games to be available to as many people that have never gotten to play them as possible as long as it made sense for them. They wanted as many games possible to be available on PS4, Steam and mobile where they've done quite good. They didn't bring up the Switch at all in the last financial briefing as well IIRC. Unless Switch sells more than XB1 really quickly expect only 2016+ games on it.

BreakAtmo

Ff7 remake is the next mainline.

Ehh, mainline games don't get outsourced to CyberConnect2 and other studios. It's a massive project, possibly 'on-par' with a mainline title in terms of budget and importance (and with even larger scale), but I don't think S-E consider in mainline or plan on delaying FFXVI until the Remake is complete.

Not weirder than Assassin Creed games having multiple studios involved for each to get them out quickly and build their worlds.

Ubisoft is not Square-Enix. S-E has, as far as I know, never outsourced a mainline FF. They have nothing to do with each other.

MAtgS

SE's CEO or at least one of the higher ups has stated that they want their old games to be available to as many people that have never gotten to play them as possible as long as it made sense for them. They wanted as many games possible to be available on PS4, Steam and mobile where they've done quite good. They didn't bring up the Switch at all in the last financial briefing as well IIRC. Unless Switch sells more than XB1 really quickly expect only 2016+ games on it.

Not a good sign if Switch can't even get games that were originally on NES/SNES.

Wollan

So you're telling me I will be playing Final Fantasy VII Remake, Spider-Man & God of War on my PS4 Pro next fall.

That Crystal Complete Edition sounds insane if true.
FF7R on PC before FF XV??
A remake, a remaster, KH 2.8 all within the same year? A lot of these rumors sound far fetched haha. Sounds like bs.

muteki

By QoL I hope you mean speed up time and no random battles because the cheats can die. I can't believe they trivialized 7 and 9 like that.

Yeah, I never used those in 7. Just a resolution bump and speed tweaks is all I need.

And it isn't like I can't achieve the equivalent cheats in the original 8 with some educated junctioning anyway.

Scrawnton

That Crystal Complete Edition sounds insane if true.
FF7R on PC before FF XV??
A remake, a remaster, KH 2.8 all within the same year? A lot of these rumors sound far fetched haha. Sounds like bs.
The funny thing is the market is there on PS4 right now and there're, we're, hungry. If all the rumors are true, I'd buy all of it day one.

tsundoku

Gackt's fault >:/

I think the party leaving Junon on the boat or some time around there is a more realistic end point, but Midgar makes sense for one game.

Imagine if the cutaway for the credit roll was the Midgar Zolom scene?

Please, its 20'16, Midgardsormr not "Zolom"

5amshift

Banned
i think i dont believe this rumor

too good to be true

Believe it ;)

What VGLeaks left out was that this collection will be bundled into the 30th anniversary collection. Remember the 25th anniversary collection? The $500 one? Yeah. This plus more.

Start saving now, cause preorders will be fun :)

This is some lame bullshit. Aren't Vita cards 4gb? FF7 is around 1.2gb, FF8 around 1.8gb. Add on FF9 and where's the room for the rest of those games on a Vita cart?

Scrawnton

This is some lame bullshit. Aren't Vita cards 4gb? FF7 is around 1.2gb, FF8 around 1.8gb. Add on FF9 and where's the room for the rest of those games on a Vita cart?
What's more curious is why does Vita even need the collection in the first place? You can already play all of these games on vita. Only FF7 can be played on PS4.

Has Kagari heard anything about any of this? She has sources at Square.
Probably either laughing her head off at the rumors or staying FAR AWAY from this thread cause she knows something.

Or she just doesn't care because there is no hard evidence unless it's announced. Either way it's up in the air for now.

Still really want the collection and XIII trilogy even though I JUST bought all three of them during Black Friday...

horkrux

Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card.

giphy.gif

HvySky

Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card.

No way in hell this is true, but I'd buy the shit out of it.

OrionX

By QoL I hope you mean speed up time and no random battles because the cheats can die. I can't believe they trivialized 7 and 9 like that.

Anything that adds options for the player is good imo. It's like having an easy mode, and it's optional.

The only one I used was the speed one. I don't think I could ever play the game without it now. I'd love to have that for VIII and IX on my PS4.

alemmon

The collection (as nice as it would be) really makes no sense, when you sell each game for 15-20 bucks and add trophies to each. FFVII sold a ton and I have no doubt the rest would too if they sold them and spaced them out over time.

I'd be really surprised if this were the case. 2017 is fairly obviously going to be KH3's year as far as Square-Enix Japan is concerned (plus FFXV DLC, and a bunch of teamsters). As far as formerly-Eidos Square-Enix is concerned, I'm thinking Deus Ex DLC and maybe a new Tomb Raider or Thief (or maybe they'll skip 2017).

Top Bottom