• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) VGLeaks: Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in 2017 and coming to PC in 2018

I think we'll see Cissnei, for example, but I'm not sure there's a better way to expand Midgar short of simply expanding the plot there. The alternative is to open considerable chunks of the city up but keep the critical path as short as it is in the original game... and to be honest, if FFVII-R Episode I is indeed just Midgar, that's what I'd anticipate. A great deal of optional content and a critical path that's a few hours in length.

For the record, while I agree that thematically it's a terrific stopping point, I don't agree (at least not without further details) that it's where Episode I ought to end. I'm not a big fan of padding Midgar that much and I don't entirely trust the team to try adding more "relevant" content instead (or have much luck with it if they did). I'd prefer the following approach:

Episode I:
Open region #1: Midgar
Open region #2: The eastern continent

Expand upon Junon and especially the cargo ship level to feel like a suitably high-quality narrative stopping point.

Episode II:
Open region #1: The central continent
Open region #2: The western continent

Integrate Wutai into the critical path. The Tiny Bronco can auto-sail across the sea to the western continent on command, but players are given full control of it through the central continent's expanded river routes and of course the buggy as the Regalia 2.0. Conclude with a relatively linear opening stretch for the northern continent which can be expanded into a full-scale open region for the third game. City of the Ancients as final dungeon.

Episode III:
Open region #1: The northern continent
Open world: everything, via airship

By this point, the groundwork has been laid for quite a bit of the game's world space, and when OG "Disc 2" kicks into its second half story-wise, players can traverse the entire planet because Nomura's team has spent a very, very long time getting it right and making Unreal Engine play along with their madness. The sole exception here is that Midgar would be reduced to a linear path. Critical path ends where the original game ended.

Maybe we will finally learn Cissnei's real name.

Listonosh

god damn... im keeping my expectations in check, and gonna say this is probably false, but if it's true, Day fucking one

Beth Cyra

Lightning has more personality than Cloud (yes even with Advent Children included... or excluded).

And FFVII is my favorite game of all time (XIII is maybe top 50-100) - it's just true.
It's not just true at all.

Very debate able if you think so. With the way Cloud is in VII, CCA, and grieves for his son and himself in Advent it's not at all possible to make a blanket statement like that.

watdaeff4

I'm not holding breath but would be sublime if all this is true.

TBH I'll be happy if just the thread title was accurate

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Ōkami;226077608 said:
Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX wouldn't fit on a single vita card, even if they were the original PS1 versions.

Why not? The cardtrages could go up to like 16gb I thought.

AgeEighty

Ōkami;226077608 said:
Final Fantasy VII, VIII & IX wouldn't fit on a single vita card, even if they were the original PS1 versions.

All three games were on CD-ROM and thus were less than a gigabyte in size each. The ports are another matter, though.

That collection seems too much like fan wish fulfillment to be true, though I'd love it if it were.

Caffeine

I think the rumor is bullshit.

I can see 1-2,xii coming to steam in 2017, xv in 2018 steam sounds about right I would assume consoles would need goty edition to release first anyway in the fall of 2017.

on the console side I just cant see all of that happening 2017 is already packed. xv and xiv are both getting additional content. dissidia ps4 is supposedly on its way. xii zodiac age, kh 2.8, kh 1.5-2.5.

I dont even see FF7R part 1 or Kh3 making 2017. I do see 8 and 9 also getting ps4 releases throughout 2017.

All three games were on CD-ROM and thus were less than a gigabyte in size each. The ports are another matter, though.

That collection seems too much like fan wish fulfillment to be true, though I'd love it if it were.

All 3 games were also on 3-4 discs each. None of them are less than a gigabyte in size (FF7 - 1.3gb, FF8 - 1.8gb, FF9 - 1.5gb), and even if they worked some compression magic, they wouldn't get them to be anywhere close to that without sacrificing quality somewhere.

aadiboy

Lol, they aren't releasing a 1-9 collection, it's more likely they would release them separately to milk as much cash out of each title as they can.

The stuff in the OP seemed reasonable enough. Then I went to the source and read about the Famicom versions of FFII and FFIII getting official translations in 2017 and actually laughed out loud. If SE actually bothers to do that I will eat my childhood copy of SNES Final Fantasy II.

In my wildest dreams the first six games get a Sega Ages treatment for their own 30th. Hell just actually give it to M2. Start off with the original next year... Famicom, MSX, Wonderswan, PSX, GBA, and PSP versions. Dual language. Dig deep into the vaults and find old development materials, just make the definitive digital museum that these games deserve. Hell, do it with DQ too. "Square Enix Legends Masterpiece Collection: Volume I: Final Fantasy." I'll pay $80 for each one.

In this cruel, callous reality, the most I expect from SE to "celebrate" is a Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Steam port using the Dimensions engine. For $20.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The FF collection is seriously too good to be true. How much would SQX charge for that? Assuming it's 50€ on Vita, they'd get less than 6€ per game (ignoring royalties and the retailer's margin). That's probably less than they get even selling them on a phone.

That being said: I would buy that on Vita.

Regginator

Chrono Trigger on Steam? Yes, please. Might have been a good call of me not buying the insanely overpriced DS version.

I haven't looked through this whole thread yet, but has anyone posted this?
Haven't seen this video before even though it was uploaded on September 30th but it was still really nice.

I did think it was interesting that for I, II, and IV they use the new logos instead of the old ones. I mean IV in general doesn't use the Golbez logo unless you're talking about the DS Remake.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Didn't they say they wanted all the mainline games available on PS4?
it's been ages since then so this could be it

mrlion

Lightning has more personality than Cloud (yes even with Advent Children included... or excluded).

And FFVII is my favorite game of all time (XIII is maybe top 50-100) - it's just true.

Huh? lol that's not true at all. Lightning at no personality whatsoever.

friz898

What's the latest, i.e. current consensus?

I use that script to hide threads after I'm done with them and I haven't hid this one yet, because I'm waiting for it to be debunked/title-change/closed etc...but it hasn't happen yet.

So... no updates? Are we still at a "Sounds to good to be true // lol for believing // omg-if-true" point? I read the first 3-4 pages on day 1.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card.

Thought it could be real until I read this. They've been doing random but still completely separate releases on every platform, I seriously doubt they're going to devalue them now. They didn't release a I&II collection on PSP.

The only way this is real is if they charge like $200 for it.

Well part of the rumor is the FFXIII trilogy coming to PS4

That's a good point. I guess I just don't believe that collection rumor due to so many flaws in the Vita part of the rumor, ie no space on the card, the games generally already being available on the system for a while now. Had they passed it off as a PS4 only thing I'd be more inclined to believe them.

I don't see the insane collections, but I expect next year to be a "Final Fantasy" year, with XV finally off their shoulders, they can just start pouring out the ports and remasters for a celebration of the franchise.

7roject28

Which versions for the Anniversary Edition? Also that many games together? So it's gonna have midi music then won't it?

Foffy

Banned
Haven't seen this video before even though it was uploaded on September 30th but it was still really nice.

I did think it was interesting that for I, II, and IV they use the new logos instead of the old ones. I mean IV in general doesn't use the Golbez logo unless you're talking about the DS Remake.

To my knowledge, the DS remake is the current 'canon' version, as certain additional events in that title are referenced in The After Years.

I assume the logo is to imply that, but they'd just show the old game it's the original.

I don't believe in the 30th anniversary collection. Those early FF games are too good to be bundled like that for a business.

Also the random Chrono Trigger mention surrounded by a history of Final Fantasy games makes it weird.

Still hoping for a PC release of FFXV. How can a "leaked" date for FF7 remake already have an estimate and FFXV not?

ZenTzen

I gully expect he FF7 remake to encompass all the events from midgar to the ship ride to costa del sol, it would be to little content otherwise, even with the expanded content they are gonna implement, like the Avalanche members stuff, and without the events that happens in the eastern continent the game wouldnt feel complete in a matter of speaking, think about it, its outside of midgar that we get the first flashback and later in the ship where we first see sephiroth outside of a flashback qnd get Jenova as a boss

Arkeband

Banned
I'd buy the 1-9 collection if they removed the cheat codes mapped to face buttons. They can keep the speed up options, but cheating is too far.

jimmypython

i would by that collection !

but here are the things I want the most for next year:

1. FFXII Zodiac Age
2. FF8 and 9 on PS4
3. FFXV complete version
4. Dissidia FF ps4
5. FF7r part1
6. FFXVI announcement trailer

Top Bottom