• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) VGLeaks: Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in 2017 and coming to PC in 2018

FFXIII Remasters are a safe bet, but 2017 still sounds too early for FFVII:R unless the episodes are a lot smaller than initially suggested.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. If they stretch this more than 3, maybe 4 episodes it will grind my gears. I do want to play it, though, so will probably deal with whatever.

Weird that square is outsourcing a mainline final fantasy then...

16 will come within five years I bet.

Ehh, mainline games don't get outsourced to CyberConnect2 and other studios. It's a massive project, possibly 'on-par' with a mainline title in terms of budget and importance (and with even larger scale), but I don't think S-E consider in mainline or plan on delaying FFXVI until the Remake is complete.

Ubisoft is not Square-Enix. S-E has, as far as I know, never outsourced a mainline FF. They have nothing to do with each other.

Well... the PSX FF games (FFVII, VIII, and IX) had outsourcing assistance through each of their development. As far as I remember, much of the pre-rendered backgrounds (and I think even overworld development) were outsourced in order to cut down development time.
I think people are looking at the outsourcing by CC2 as something far heavier than it really is. Make no mistake, S-E is still putting their in-house muscle behind this remake. CC2 is doing a lot of heavy lifting, but VII:RE, as far as I know, isn't going to be 'a CyberConnect2 game' like, say, Silent Hill Homecoming was 'a Double Helix game'.

ZeroX03

Banned
Rumor makes no sense.

SE likes to heavily stagger their ports/remasters, XIII Collection is believable but they won't rush it out. XV PC is likely, but again, they space things out.

That anniversary collection would not be cheap. And would not be on Vita. Don't believe it at all.

VIIR in 2017? Another company, I would say yes. They were probably originally targeting 2017. But I don't see them making it.

Seems like nonsense to get fans thirsty.

Don't balee these rumours. Specially the collection, it's complete bs.

I expect to see 8 and 9 on the PSN, a XIII collection(meh) and with a lot of luck(based U4) the FF7-I.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
FFXIII Remasters are a safe bet, but 2017 still sounds too early for FFVII:R unless the episodes are a lot smaller than initially suggested.

FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns will carry over well because all cut-scenes in those games are in-engine outside the intro and outro CGIs.

But FFXIII had just about every cutscene has a video file, so that might not turn out too hot .. and if they use the PC version as the base, it'll be pretty bad video quality wise.

ghibli99

Looks completely plausible to me!

I forgot that FF7R is episodic...

if this is true it would totally explain why XV was an unfinished mess
I don't think it's even anecdotal that most people disagree with this statement. Personally speaking however, it's the best FF I've played since 10.

Ishida

Banned
Is this the current narrative by people that don't like XV? That it's a 'mess'?

I'm 27 hours in (doing a lot of side stuff) and it's absolutely fantastic thus far. It has exceeded my expectations.

Some people just cannot deal with the great reviews the game got. :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh yeah I do expect VIII and IX on PS4 at some point. IX for mobile and PC isn't just going to stay there. IX didn't seem to do too well on Steam.

But again SE takes it slow and steady with how they (re)release FF titles. Surprised WoFF and XV were so close, although I guess delays flipped the order.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I'm 27 hours in (doing a lot of side stuff) and it's absolutely fantastic thus far. It has exceeded my expectations.

Ishida isn't wrong, but for the record, a lot of that sentiment stems from aspects further into the game.

Ishida

Banned
I will make a bold prediction

Final Fantasy 7 R is nothing more than FFXV's open world map...with a new skin.

Episodically, it works like FFXV where parts of the world open up which each subsequent episode released.

That is, if the game is open world at all. I fear it may be menu-based exploration.

Episodically, it works like FFXV where parts of the world open up which each subsequent episode released.

I mean.... would that even work considering the games are developed on two completely different engines? For example, XV is Luminous, while VII:RE is Unreal 4?

Ishida isn't wrong, but for the record, a lot of that sentiment stems from aspects further into the game.

Then I guess this conversation (at least with me involved) will TO BE CONTINUED, as I'm only in Chapter 6. :p

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

I honestly think that's what most everyone is expecting. Although, it is not just a reskin, seeing as it is using a different engine and all. But yeah.

DKHF

From what I saw of the thread, she pointed out that VGLeaks incorrectly leaked that Sam would be the focus of Uncharted 4's DLC.
They didn't leak the Sam story themselves (Jaffameister did), VGLeaks just reported on it.

Not saying I believe this report, just correcting.

Garlador

Well, they did a collection for the 25th...
Final-Fantasy-25th-Anniversary-Ultimate-Box-mit-fast-allen-Teilen-8-540x303.jpg

... It was really expensive though and hinged on the PS3's backwards compatibility I think.

dickroach

that's my opinion. dunno about anyone else. its a short (for an FF) super linear game with a poorly thought out story that has 40 hours of optional fetch quests

OrionX

I think VII-R1 will make 2017.

I've learned nothing from the past and choose to remain eternally optimistic!! :)

On your memory card, yes.

The post you're quoting and the rumour itself is saying all those games would be on a game card.

Still. I don't see that as a problem. 1-6 is all 2D which doesn't take much space plus 7,8 and 9. All those 9 games are still less GB than maybe FFX alone.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I'd buy the shit out of the OG collection if it was consistent and had the original NES versions of 1, 2, and 3. We'll see.

Yeah. I dream of a classic collection with actual consistency. I don't want PSP versions of I+II, DS version of III+IV and shitty mobile versions of V+VI. Ideally, they'd remake III, V, and VI to match the style of the PSP remakes so we can have definitive 2D versions of the classics. Options to toggle graphics modes like Halo Anniversary would be awesome but I wouldn't expect it.

I doubt this collection is real anyway. I would more expect multiple collections for each era, all charging full price. Maybe a special edition that bundles all 3 for more than triple the price.

Garlador

I wish the PSP remake of IV had the gameplay of the DS remake.

As a piece of history, I like the original FFIV a lot and the PSP remake is a great remake in that regard.

... But I also think I prefer the 3D graphics, redone soundtrack, and extra gameplay and quests of the DS game too.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks completely plausible to me!

I forgot that FF7R is episodic...

I don't think it's even anecdotal that most people disagree with this statement. Personally speaking however, it's the best FF I've played since 10.
I second this, reminds me of FFVIII which is a good thing as I rate that the highest, even the magic reminds me of draw points
kinda disappointing that you start with the whole party and no one else joins.
Would be nice to have other characters like Luna join and more Summons

yurinka

I don't believe this rumor, sounds like a fan wishlist.

2017 sounds too early for FFVII remake episode one, but I think it's possible we can get a demo for E3/Gamescom/TGS/PSX during 2017.

Regarding the collection, it's a gazillion games on it. I'm pretty sure they would sell them separatly, or maybe in bundles with 3 games each.

As a piece of history, I like the original FFIV a lot and the PSP remake is a great remake in that regard.

... But I also think I prefer the 3D graphics, redone soundtrack, and extra gameplay and quests of the DS game too.

What do you like about the polygonal graphics of the DS game?

Saphirax

Still. I don't see that as a problem. 1-6 is all 2D which doesn't take much space plus 7,8 and 9. All those 9 games are still less GB than maybe FFX alone.

They aren't. FF8 alone is 1.8gb on PSN. FF9 is 1.5 and FF7 is 1.3. FFX is around 3.3gb on the Vita. Vita carts are only 4gb and out of that only 3.4gb is usable.

Cynar

Nah. Most are really positive about it. There are a few out there with negative opinions but SE did a pretty good job with XV.

I actually really like the redone script in the DS version. Was sad when I found out that the PSP version uses the GBA script.

The game being a 'mess'? Far from it.

The story being a 'mess'? Yes. This is why the spoilers thread is overly negative compared to the OT.

Foffy

Banned
I don't think so. Midgar's story is perfect for a first part, assuming the massively expanded it. There is so much potential in a Midgar expanded to be an entire game.
I think the perfect split points for the game are

Part 1: Ends at the end of Midgar, but with a more dramatic boss at the end, maybe a new Jenova boss?

Part 2: Ends after Aerith's death.

Part 3: The rest of the game.

Assuming they are going for more parts than 2 there isn't really a way to cut it up more neatly than that I think.

Was Jenova ever fought in Midgar? I haven't played VII in nearly a decade, so I don't remember.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Was Jenova ever fought in Midgar? I haven't played VII in nearly a decade, so I don't remember.

Nope.

JENOVA Birth: Cargo Ship
JENOVA Life: City of the Ancients
JENOVA Death: Whirlwind Maze
JENOVA Synthesis: Northern Crater

Im I the only one can see FF7R happening in 2017 due to its developing time.
Yes, you are the only one.

2017 won't happen for Remake Part 1. They have barely showed anything from the game aside from the introduction with rushed up gameplay, that likely won't even be in the final game.

Foffy

Banned
Nope.

JENOVA Birth: Cargo Ship
JENOVA Life: City of the Ancients
JENOVA Death: Whirlwind Maze
JENOVA Synthesis: Northern Crater

Hmm. Unless there was a cut JENOVA battle, I don't think they should be adding new fights to such a story-centric boss. I mean, are we even certain we're getting all of the enemies from the original game like that house robot? :p

Perhaps they can use Before Crisis and Crisis Core to help expand Midgar with scenarios featuring the characters that appeared in those games but not VII? I think that would flow better, as Midgar is focused more upon Shinra and thus the Turks.

Eylos

Banned
Hmm. Unless there was a cut JENOVA battle, I don't think they should be adding new fights to such a story-centric boss. I mean, are we even certain we're getting all of the enemies from the original game like that house robot? :p

Perhaps they can use Before Crisis and Crisis Core to help expand Midgar with scenarios featuring the characters that appeared in those games but not VII? I think that would flow better, as Midgar is focused more upon Shinra and thus the Turks.

I want so hard to play before crisis =(

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I mean, are we even certain we're getting all of the enemies from the original game like that house robot? :p

Hell House is one of the "best"
quotations intended
video game monsters of all time. I sure hope we see it again. ;_;

I think we'll see Cissnei, for example, but I'm not sure there's a better way to expand Midgar short of simply expanding the plot there. The alternative is to open considerable chunks of the city up but keep the critical path as short as it is in the original game... and to be honest, if FFVII-R Episode I is indeed just Midgar, that's what I'd anticipate. A great deal of optional content and a critical path that's a few hours in length.

For the record, while I agree that thematically it's a terrific stopping point, I don't agree (at least not without further details) that it's where Episode I ought to end. I'm not a big fan of padding Midgar that much and I don't entirely trust the team to try adding more "relevant" content instead (or have much luck with it if they did). I'd prefer the following approach:

Episode I:
Open region #1: Midgar
Open region #2: The eastern continent

Expand upon Junon and especially the cargo ship level to feel like a suitably high-quality narrative stopping point.

Episode II:
Open region #1: The central continent
Open region #2: The western continent

Integrate Wutai into the critical path. The Tiny Bronco can auto-sail across the sea to the western continent on command, but players are given full control of it through the central continent's expanded river routes and of course the buggy as the Regalia 2.0. Conclude with a relatively linear opening stretch for the northern continent which can be expanded into a full-scale open region for the third game. City of the Ancients as final dungeon.

Episode III:
Open region #1: The northern continent
Open world: everything, via airship

By this point, the groundwork has been laid for quite a bit of the game's world space, and when OG "Disc 2" kicks into its second half story-wise, players can traverse the entire planet because Nomura's team has spent a very, very long time getting it right and making Unreal Engine play along with their madness. The sole exception here is that Midgar would be reduced to a linear path. Critical path ends where the original game ended.

Foffy

Banned
I want so hard to play before crisis =(

I would not be surprised to help market FFVIIR that they release a remake of Before Crisis for mobile. If XV got two tie-in games, I'm sure VIIR will have some too, and they already have a base for one.

a916

That Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection sounds amazing. I'm in.

Put a platinum for completing each title.

Top Bottom