• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumor) VGLeaks: Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing in 2017 and coming to PC in 2018

Well, there is the mech at the end of the road...

That's a random robot though, I mean as part of the Rufus fight on the rooftop.
In fact, to make it flow better as the end of the game I think they should remove the robot from the end of the highway section and just expand the Rufus fight on the rooftop.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know what's surprising?

We still don't have Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus HD Remaster.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Gackt's fault >:/

I think the party leaving Junon on the boat or some time around there is a more realistic end point, but Midgar makes sense for one game.

Imagine if the cutaway for the credit roll was the Midgar Zolom scene?

Dirge of Cerberus isn't surprising.
I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Crisis Core remaster after whatever FFVII Remake part has the reveal about Zack and Cloud.

Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card.

Yo, the first 9 FF games on a single card for Vita?

That would be a-maz-ing. This is the thing I care about and it's not even in the title. Everyone else cares about FFVIIR, all I care about is the Vita!

thelastword

Banned
Anyone who knows anything about how games are developed cannot say this for certain. The more accurate rumour would be that Square is targeting 2017 for these things. For all we know it could be an easy target or a really aggressive one that they could easily miss. I'm betting on the latter.
They didn't start working on these yesterday you know.

Lets break it down....

1.) All the FF1-9 are pretty much already available on PS3/Vita. Shifting them over to the PS4 as one package is no huge undertaking. They already have a way of trophy patching these old games, perhaps some form of emulation may be on the cards for these. So it's not like these games are being remastered or remade.

2.) FF13, 13-2 and lighting returns are available on PC, porting them over to the consoles is not that hard and probably started long ago as well, this is a project that could be completed in 3-6 months at best.

3.) FF12 Zodiac has been in development for a long time, the remaster remake, we've heard rumors about it years ago, so 2017 seems quite plausible too.

4.) FF7 Remake may take the most time on that list, maybe late 2017, but it's been in dev for more than a minute, I imagine they're pretty far along and should be wrapping things up mid to 3/4 into 2017.

All what I've said refers to the console versions and releases however, not any particular plans for PC in 2018 ....

Honestly I see a massive trailer happening for FF7R for the anniversary than the first installment. And lets all be serious. While we don't want SE to take their sweet time we dont want them to rush this.

And with all on their plate. The Remasters, The KH Demos and FF7R we shluldnt be expecting FF7 before 2018.

So while I want it to be true. Im calling bullshit on everything except the FFXIII trilogy unfortunately.

Chirotera

Banned
It would be pretty awesome to own every mainline FF game (not counting the MMOs) on the same system so I'm hoping this rumor is true (and I hope they manage to include War of the Lion for PS4 too... I'd buy that so fast).

And FFXV, for some reason, is making me nostalgic for FFXIII - even though I pretty much hated FFXIII. I did enjoy FFXIII-2 though... so that collection would appeal to me, too.

Either way I'm taking this all with a huge grain of salt. That stuff makes way too much sense for Square Enix to follow through on.

MilkBeard

The whole appeal of the Midgar section for many fans though, is the fact that once you finally manage to escape the city...you quickly realize it was basically an extended tutorial section that has prepared for you venturing out into this infinitely larger and more complex world. Fans of the game often talk about that incredible feeling they got when they stepped out onto the world map for the first time, where it slowly dawned on them that the story was literally only just beginning. It does so much to establish the vastness of the world, as well as to evoke a kind of yearning for exploration that becomes vital to the player throughout the rest of the adventure.

Final_Fantasy_VII_(PSX)_048.png

In my opinion, if you literally transformed the Midgar prologue into a fully fledged, entirely separate installment as opposed to the rest of the game, it would not only disrupt the flow of the game at quite a fundamental level, it would almost kind of miss the point of why the Midgar section was chosen to serve as the prologue for the original game in the first place. It would ruin what made Midgar work so well, from both a narrative and gameplay perspective.

The flow of the game is going to be disrupted no matter where they stop it. The finale at the end of Midgar is probably one of the best places to end a part of the game, if you are going to segment it into sections.

I understand that some people felt the opening of the bigger world was great, but the game being in parts is going to offend people wanting a different experience. My own experience was not of that--I liked Midgar a lot and wish that they had expanded upon that city.

Another good section to end may be when they get to Nibelheim. It really depends. They will have to have a boss battle somewhere. They will probably end up changing a lot to fit it into three separate experiences. This is why the ending of Midgar section makes so much sense as the end of Part I.

MilkBeard

That's a random robot though, I mean as part of the Rufus fight on the rooftop.
In fact, to make it flow better as the end of the game I think they should remove the robot from the end of the highway section and just expand the Rufus fight on the rooftop.
They could reorganize the fight so that the robot is there. They could also make the Rufus fight actually more than just a simple fight--it could be a really difficult battle, along with the robot fight in the elevators. But really, they could develop a new side character that dies at the end of the Midgar Arc, and that could be a final battle somewhere where the final robot battle happens.

If the classic games are the iOS ports with the shitty art style, I am going to be so pissed. I'm actually not buying it if that's the case.

They could reorganize the fight so that the robot is there. They could also make the Rufus fight actually more than just a simple fight--it could be a really difficult battle, along with the robot fight in the elevators. But really, they could develop a new side character that dies at the end of the Midgar Arc, and that could be a final battle somewhere where the final robot battle happens.

Rufus' helicopter is probably going to be part of the fight. And they're probably going to "Advent Children-ize" the shit out of the battle to make use of the set piece instead of characters just standing on two elevators. Especially since the battle system is going to be more action-y.

Philippo

Gackt's fault >:/

I think the party leaving Junon on the boat or some time around there is a more realistic end point, but Midgar makes sense for one game.

Imagine if the cutaway for the credit roll was the Midgar Zolom scene?

YES PLEASE!

The perfect and also reasonable endings for Part I would be either leaving Midgar or right before entering the Mythril Caves in front of the Midgar Zolom.

Or maybe have the game finish on when you leave Midgar, but then have the Midgar Zolom scene during the credits roll like a IN THE NEXT EPISODE

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Can't bear the thought of playing through XIII with English audio again so dual audio please.
Also, VII remake to launch on 7/7.

Depending on the quality of the voicework, I'm kinda hoping dual audio will be available for FFVIR.

With regards to the rumour, I don't see them having the first part ready next year. FFVIIR (the first part) is something we're going to be seeing in development for years and years, I'm afraid. Maybe a demo next year.

I do hope that compilation of Final Fantasy I-IX is true. I'm still skeptical about the remake. I could be wrong, though. Correct me if I'm wrong, but diidn't Square start the remake before the FFVII remaster got announced?

GunBR

If the classic games are the iOS ports with the shitty art style, I am going to be so pissed. I'm actually not buying it if that's the case.
They released the mobile versions on Steam

If the collection is true, will definitely be a port of the mobile versions

wrowa

These companies (especially in Japan) always fear the devaluation of their classics, so I'm not sure if this is something SE would like to do, but I'm confident that such a collection would make a lot more money than releasing all games individually.

Quite a few of these games - FF1 to 3 in particular - have almost no market appeal outside of being historically interesting and even FFV and FFIV likely aren't very interesting to most people. In the end, people would buy it for their one or two favorite games, but by bundling everything SE would make an appealing package that feels like a great deal even if most people would pay less by just buying the few games they are actually interested in.

It's kinda similar to the NES Mini where people are suddenly kinda interested in games they individually would never have bought. Value perception is key.

Anyone hoping they release the Final Fantasy 7 remake a lot later? 2017 seems a bit too earlier for me, even for the first part. They haven't really been working on it for that long :/

CyberConnect2 are developing FF7R. They have a great track record of well made and timely releases, and assuming the game was already in development for a year (which is likely true given the quality of the first gameplay trailer), a 2-3 year dev time for what is essentially going to be the Midgar section of Disc 1 is pretty reasonable.

I'm good with this.

Zodiac Age in Spring, Dissidia PS4 and FF Anniversary Collection in Summer, FFVIIR Ep1 in Fall and a first CGI announcement trailer for FFXVI at The Game Awards/PSX in December.

Sounds good and i hope it's true!

My ideal timeline has FFVIIR coming earlier than December, because I want to slot Kingdom Hearts 3 in there :p

January - Kingdom Hearts II.8
March - Kingdom Hearts I.5 + II.5
April / May - Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
June - Final Fantasy XIV Stormblood
July - September - Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1
November / December - Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Edition (bank in on that nostalgia just in time for Christmas), Kingdom Hearts 3, FFVIIR Part 2 trailer at PSX

Only thing I can't figure out how to slot in there is the XIII trilogy.

Whompa02

No chance.

FF15 has DLC to release in the next 6 months/year.

FF14 has content to release.

Kingdom Hearts and FF7r are in development.

No chance in hell that all this is going to move at a steady pace within the year.

MilkBeard

Rufus' helicopter is probably going to be part of the fight. And they're probably going to "Advent Children-ize" the shit out of the battle to make use of the set piece instead of characters just standing on two elevators. Especially since the battle system is going to be more action-y.
Yes that's true. It will probably be a set piece boss, where you are running away and get trapped and have to fight, with some dynamic cutscenes. I could imagine something like a modern Dollet chase scene with action-packed battles.

No chance.

No chance in hell that all this is going to move at a steady pace within the year.

I would imagine the ports would be outsourced. They also wouldn't exactly be difficult ports.

Sillverrr

I don't normally comment on rumour, but FFVII remake next year sounds like b/s. Unless they're going to release it episodically*, then *maybe* at the tail-end of the year. For the first half they already have FFXV DLC, FFXII on PS4, and Kingdom Hearts stuff. I'd expect a media blitz in the vein of FFXV, and it's been quiet since the announcement.

Who the hell knows these days though. Japan has been nailing it lately and next year is looking fantastic already - bring it on.

*Edit: Ok, thanks for pointing out my mistake. I'm not a big fan of episodic, but this makes the rumour far more believable.

wrowa

I don't normally comment on rumour, but FFVII remake next year sounds like b/s. Unless they're going to release it episodically, then *maybe* at the tail-end of the year. For the first half they already have FFXV DLC, FFXII on PS4, and Kingdom Hearts stuff. I'd expect a media blitz in the vein of FFXV, and it's been quiet since the announcement.

Who the hell knows these days though. Japan has been nailing it lately and next year is looking fantastic already - bring it on.

FFVII is already confirmed to be an episodic release.

No chance.

I would imagine the ports would be outsourced. They also wouldn't exactly be difficult ports.

I can understand Stormblood maybe being released away from other Final Fantasy titles as MMO's are big and time consuming, but would the release of FFXV DLC actually hinder other releases? I wouldn't think so but a few posts in here believe the DLC should be released and given room to itself.

I don't normally comment on rumour, but FFVII remake next year sounds like b/s. Unless they're going to release it episodically, then *maybe* at the tail-end of the year. For the first half they already have FFXV DLC, FFXII on PS4, and Kingdom Hearts stuff. I'd expect a media blitz in the vein of FFXV, and it's been quiet since the announcement.

It is episodic.

MilkBeard

Considering that most of FF VIIR's development is outsourced and the project will be split into several episodes, I can easily see the first episode coming sooner than we all think. However, 2017 may be a stretch with all the other releases.

We will find out probably at E3 which game will be further into development and thus releasing sooner: FF VIIR or KH III.

Considering that most of FF VIIR's development is outsourced and the project will be split into several episodes, I can easily see the first episode coming sooner than we all think. However, 2017 may be a stretch with all the other releases.

We will find out probably at E3 which game will be further into development and thus releasing sooner: FF VIIR or KH III.

What if they're both at far into development and the 15th anniversary of Kingdom Hearts is used to announce unexpected Final Fantasy characters to celebrate it's 30th anniversary and they both come out next year? :O

#pipedream

Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card.

Yes, they are going to fit 9 Final Fantasy games on a single 4GB PS Vita game card.

Mikey Jr.

Hopefully the SNES games don't have that butt fucking ugly mobile sprites. Those are such an eyesore.

Hopefully they spruce them up like the psp remakes. Those were gorgeous.

Byvar

I don't believe the collection rumor at all, not because it would be hard for them to port these games but because it would be far more profitable to sell each game at $10-20, which they are already doing on PC and mobile.
This compilation will include Final Fantasy I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII and IX and it will be released on PS4 and PS Vita in a single disc/card. It will include two versions of Final Fantasy I to VI: original versions from NES/SNES and modern ports (mostly mobile ports). FF VII to XI will be based only in newest ports. Final Fantasy II and III from NES will receive an official English translation (first time).
This would mean that just so people can play two versions of each game, they will have to make sure both the NES/SNES and mobile versions are running properly. Especially with the new translations, it's just too much work for nothing, because very little people will care that they can play two versions of the same game.
Also, this would mean they have to port FFVIII over, which I don't think is that simple of a task, since they already had to put some work into FFVII's port, and a FFVIII port would also require a music patch (if it was good, at least).
FFIX is in Unity and already has some code for a Vita version, but that too would require extra coding work for a PS4 version.
Even if all of this was outsourced, that would require money that Square-Enix can get far more easily by selling each of these games at $10-20. The advantage gained by selling the compilation disc at full price could be good, but it would turn into a huge disadvantage for them as soon as it drops in price.

I do think FFVIIr part 1 is coming in 2017 or early 2018 though, but that doesn't make this rumor any more credible.

This all sounds too good to be true. I hope at least some of the stuff is though. Would be nice having that FF compilation. Also, with KH 3 also being developed by Nomura and co. which one is taking priority? Were the team working on them both at the same time or did they focus on the FF 7 Remake first episode/game first? If I remember correctly KH 3 was announced first to be in development the same E3 when versus XIII got switched over to XV. That was in 2013 and the FF 7 reveal came two years later at E3 2015.

KupoNut

I hope they hurry up Final Fantasy XVI. There shouldn't be a 5 year wait between mainline Final Fantasy games anymore.

This all sounds too good to be true. I hope at least some of the stuff is though. Would be nice having that FF compilation. Also, with KH 3 also being developed by Nomura and co. which one is taking priority? Were the team working on them both at the same time or did they focus on the FF 7 Remake first episode/game first? If I remember correctly KH 3 was announced first to be in development the same E3 when versus XIII got switched over to XV. That was in 2013 and the FF 7 reveal came two years later at E3 2015.

There's two different teams working on those games. The Osaka branch of Square Enix is developing Kingdom Hearts 3 (they developed Birth by Sleep, Dream Drop Distance, the HD ReMIX's, and II.8) while Final Fantasy VII Remake is mostly being outsourced to CyberConnect while it's also being worked on internally in Square Enix.

In the case of Nomura being director of both, he has input into a lot of Kingdom Hearts 3 however the day to day operations of the game are being looked after by Co-Director Tai Yasue who would no doubt give progress reports to Nomura. Because of this I believe it's safe-ish to assume Nomura is spending his days getting messy with Final Fantasy VII Remake.

Top Bottom