• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

ekim

This thread went viral on several news sites. Some linked this thread as source but some German sites just rewrite everything including totally wrong information and typos. Gaming journalism.

Karak

Really good suggestion. Basically thats all that would connect the first and second SKU; which means (if MS are sensible) it might not even be given what could be considered 'confusing branding'.

A Windows TV type born from the Xbox; will this come with the rumoured Xbox Surface?
One thing that strikes me is that MS could license this out; allowing TVs to build them in as well as other boxes.

This would actually be a good move and really fits the logic of the 720 being built based on Windows. If anything this allows MS to really properly move with tech away from the desktop where I feel Windows 8 has been a big failure.

In my head I'd had them developing two separate products just branding one 720.
This would also allow them to push the 720 tech forwards, they have other products to expand Xbox outside of pure gaming so their probably less price sensitive about it.

And is mostly the same as the rumors up to 2 years ago. Some of which Jeff alluded to. Its one of many good ideas.

It's a game console, not a movie or book. There's nothing to "spoil".

Whatever the case, MS seems to be getting a lot of chatter about their next console recently, all without any official announcement. That buzz can actually replace a reveal at a smaller conference, and still show for the first time at E3. Fake rumors (approved by MS to drum hype)? Or just a coincidence of multiple people speaking up mixed with official MS blog saying with the E3 countdown?

Either way, whatever is happening now is working. It's got the media and consumers buzzing without even revealing anything. So there can still be a gigaton at E3 all without saying anything official...with all that built up hype just from rumors and buzz amplifying the announcement. Sony is very quiet and doesn't seem to value this strategy, if it is one in the first place and not just coincidences.

jmood88

Raistlin

Gemüsepizza;46240195 said:
This is a possibility. BDXL drives are already out there, and they are cheap. The only problem here is that the BDA has not yet finalized the next Blu-ray standard for movies, which would include 4K and HFR@48/60fps as well as new codecs like h.265, so there is a possibility that this standard may not be compatible with existing BDXL drives, because they want to have even bigger capacities. But on the other hand, Sony is a member of the BDA, so they probably will make sure that the right technology is inside the PS4.
It really shouldn't be an issue. Assuming there actually is a new BD spec, it's going to use the same blue laser diode. Otherwise it's not a BD player. So a BDXL drive is what we can expect for the next movie standard. The only question is, what will the speed requirement be (current BD movies require BD-ROM 1.5x)?

Depending on what features the next media format uses, I'd expect somewhere between 4x and 8x speed depending on what features of Rec. 2020 they plan to support. Sony was obviously going to already be looking at that speed anyway in order to have sufficient bandwidth for the size of RAM they'll have in PS4. And again, BDXL drives of those speeds are already out there and cheap.

As far as codecs, that's handles on the CPU/GPU side, so it's not an issue. PS4 will have no problems decoding H.265.

The HDMI 2.0 spec is also not yet finished, which could be a problem, too.
That is really the only thing that's of concern. HDMI 2.0 was supposed to be finalized in Q4 2012, so there's obviously been a delay ... though rumors seem to point to it being really close. So it probably won't be a problem. I expect it to be in large-scale production and other products around the time PS4 is expected.

Even if it isn't though, that may not be damning. Full-speed HDMI 1.3/1.4 (which is available) has enough bandwidth for 4k (even higher bit-depths), so the only concern would be if the new BD spec includes support for features that are too intensive (say 4k48p or something).

Umm, no and no.

PS4 currently rumored at 1.8TF vs say something like 1.3 on Durango.

Then we have 8GB RAM vs probably 2-4GB, and differing types.

The differing CPU's.

And Durango GPU has custom hardware.

Far too early to say this or that. Even lherre recently said (about Durango and Orbis) "both are powerful".

And we certainly dont know the ram for OS usage is bogus (link?). You're just trading one rumor for another. I'll take mine any day, thanks.

Considering that the Xbox360 uses 32MB for the OS, I think that OS spec is probably bogus. I think the system will use something around 128MB or even less, which would suffice to implement more advanced OS functions. MS is the king of OS optimization.

And 8Gb of DDR3 would be disappointing, it would much better to have 4 GB of fast DDR5.

here's my theory on the "second" xbox.

Microsoft, when designing the new platform decided to have a dedicated chip for the os. The reason would be to allow an expansion of live services, backround downloading, no more leaving games to access the store, just pause and download, etc. (plus developers would love not having to deal with the overhead of the OS). This hardware was contracted out to a seperate firm then their "major" console deal with AMD. It was leaked, and a rumor started about it being a second set-top xbox. The scalability of it likely means that it's arm based (using the windows 8 arm os) and it's a chip designed so that they plan to use on tablets as well, with a core feature being the ability to stream, or use it in conjunction with the new xbox (like the smartglass stuff but far more intergration). This would allow for an xbox based tablet device(like a wii-u controller) to be released at a later date to inject sales into the console (similar to the kinect strategy), and since the design is already there, they would just wait for manufacturing costs to fall enough so it would be profitable.

hmm, good idea about that. it was tie up some loose ends with the second box rumour.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Considering that the Xbox360 uses 32MB for the OS, I think that OS spec is probably bogus. I think the system will use something around 128MB or even less, which would suffice to implement more advanced OS functions. MS is the king of OS optimization.

And 8Gb of DDR3 would be disappointing, it would much better to have 4 GB of fast DDR5.

nah they wont make the mistake of reserving too little this time around

Everything I've heard from reliable sources makes your series of guesses, particularly about total teraflops, impossible. Save for the DDR3 guess, which I'm worried might be true. Which would be incredibly stupid.

Thank you for the clarification... although you have also just spawned the "Aegies said it will have less than one teraflop" rumor which will in turn become "Yeah it's been confirmed at 0.5 teraflops from multiple sources".

If people are going to tout specific exact numbers as fact, they need to back it up with more than "Hey it's not my problem if you can't see that I'm right".

aegies

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62038 On the following slide under 2012 is the Xbox 361 and the features.

Slide48.jpg

On the following slide bottom right is why the Xbox 360 was thought by Microsoft to not meet the needs of XTV coming in 2013. No true 1080P.....The PS3 can do bullet point 2, 3 (except for HDMI pass-thru not needed with RVU except for the TV the DVR box is attached to which is generally the living room TV ) & 5, as a result there is not as much pressure on Sony to have the PS4 ready to support XTV which is coming SOON.

Slide4.jpg

The following slide speculates the PS4 will support XTV (HDMI pass-through) using Google TV and Microsoft will do something similar with Bing and also with HDMI pass-through.

Slide7.jpg

A overview of features stressing again, 1080P and full 3D to support XTV and video streaming apps as well as Xbox Live. ATSC 2.0 will go candidate status March 2013 and OTA 1080P and 3D will be possible. Only recent Smart TVs, the PS3 and some blu-ray players and set top boxes will allow you to view this. The Xbox 360 can not do this!

Slide8.jpg

As far as playing games there is little difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360 but for 1080P - XTV - true native 3D. Microsoft took shortcuts to reduce the price of the Xbox 360 that Sony thought necessary.

The Gigbit network port in the PS3 for instance is only going to be necessary in worst case multiple video stream situations that can occur in a home network with several different TVs all RVU streaming video from a DVR box or tuner head end, the Xbox 360 has a 100mbit not 1000mbit lan port. In hindsight we can see the PS3 design was more expensive for a reason.

All of this is outdated, and has been superceded in most cases.

i-Lo

Courtesy of Cyberpunk 2077 thread, I wonder whether we'd be getting very close to this (Consider the following containing a vid running this in real time on UE3.X. It's a WIP for some ME challenge) at even 720p:

Khm, khm small hint: See soft shadows her hair casts on the right side of her face.

When everyone started posting some face pics i might post some as well. Too bad no one ever reads UDK thread. :d

Video

More pics here

attachment.php

The guy reminds me Carth Onasi from KoTOR1:

carth4zur6.jpg

Oh god... I'm smitten by KoTOR... Halp!

HokieJoe

Yes you should check out PGR. Bizarre was a great studio. PGR2 (Xbox) is still one of my favorite games ever. I reallly miss the experiences I had with that game. 3 and 4 (360)
werent quite as good imo, but good nonetheless.

The way you guys talk about PGR makes me think I should check it out. Is it 60FPS?

No, just hoping.

HokieJoe

Just gimme all 10 tracks from PGR2 in exquisite detail and i'll be happy. Chicago, edinburgh, moscow, stockholm, and washington dc!

its on lucid game's website. wouldnt it be cool if lucid, ex-bizarre senior staff, are working on the long rumored PGR5?

thuway

Nope, I have other infos.

But it's also fair to note the number doesn't deviate from past (reasonable) rumors and expectations. So it should not be surprising.

There's going to be some who will forever ignore it in favor of speculation about 3TF 88xx's or whatever. That's fine.

Yep, this is the first day I really feel like I have a reasonably complete picture of Durango. January 9th...not too bad, or something.

Hey, I'm pretty pleased with the number. Quite honestly I was beginning to brace for a 768 gflop 6670 (as per ancient IGN rumors). While at once slightly disappointing, it's also not too bad.

1+tf is basically equivalent to a HD7770 at 1 ghz (1.28 TF). Though I'd guess the actual Durango GPU will reach it's number by more CU's coupled with a lower clock for heat and power reasons. Again, when viewed against current gen, it's not bad. Like I said, 8X at least.

Compared to my factory overclocked HD 4890 in my PC it's probably better. That has 800 SP's at 925 mhz. HD 7770 has 640 SPs at 1ghz. But SP for SP Southern Islands crushes it's predecessors.

Also my 4890 is ~900m transistors IIRC, while a 7770 is ~1.5B. Another way of looking at brute force.

You are 100% on the money. :)

Gorillaz

Sweetvar knew something imo. He posted something I think in the ps4 rumor thread and that shit was removed within seconds.

EDIT: It was one of the next gen threads he posted in and it was taken down quickly. We spent pages trying to backtrack to what it was too.

A PR mouthpiece/Viral marketer. IMO... ProElite and Specialguy are the only ones I would consider real.

oooh snap.

It will be interesting tho. When the dust settles, who was right in the end and who were just hypemen/PR.

thuway

What about Sweetvar?

He is the man who bust this bitch wide open. He just didn't have enough knowledge to interpret it. The specs posted by specialguy and proelite are aligning and make the most sense.

8 Jaguar Cores
1.3-1.5 TF GPU
8 GB of RAM with ESram

There's your Durango. I have no doubt about it. The real interesting part is the customizations to have it perform better in the real world.

Nope, I have other infos.

But it's also fair to note the number doesn't deviate from past (reasonable) rumors and expectations. So it should not be surprising.

There's going to be some who will forever ignore it in favor of speculation about 3TF 88xx's or whatever. That's fine.

Yep, this is the first day I really feel like I have a reasonably complete picture of Durango. January 9th...not too bad, or something.

Hey, I'm pretty pleased with the number. Quite honestly I was beginning to brace for a 768 gflop 6670 (as per ancient IGN rumors). While at once slightly disappointing, it's also not too bad.

1+tf is basically equivalent to a HD7770 at 1 ghz (1.28 TF)
. Though I'd guess the actual Durango GPU will reach it's number by more CU's coupled with a lower clock for heat and power reasons. Again, when viewed against current gen, it's not bad. Like I said, 8X at least.

Compared to my factory overclocked HD 4890 in my PC it's probably better. That has 800 SP's at 925 mhz. HD 7770 has 640 SPs at 1ghz. But SP for SP Southern Islands crushes it's predecessors.

Also my 4890 is ~900m transistors IIRC, while a 7770 is ~1.5B. Another way of looking at brute force.

Just in case anyone wanted to know the back history of this. bgassasin on b3d forums said his source gave him a 1+ tflop number for durango. For some odd reason, some people took this as a low 1.1-1.5 tflop number when BG even admitted it isn't so. It's simply a vague reference to the gpu being over 1tflop which doesn't tell us anything.

It's amazing that after all these months some people still are perpetuating this false cape verde- 1.1-1.5 tflop info for durango when it wasn't even a rumor in the first place.

He is the man who bust this bitch wide open. He just didn't have enough knowledge to interpret it. The specs posted by specialguy and proelite are aligning and make the most sense.

8 Jaguar Cores
1.3-1.5 TF GPU
8 GB of RAM with ESram

There's your Durango. I have no doubt about it. The real interesting part is the customizations to have it perform better in the real world.

That would be shit, to be honest. 360 had 0.25, so in the end that means 5 or 6 x the 360 after eight years... that´s not good.

But i stay positiv and still expect a 2+ TF GPU.

Reiko

Banned

8 Jaguar Cores
1.3-1.5 TF GPU
8 GB of RAM with ESram

I think we will still be surprised at the real specs. 2TF GPU, just by Epic's hint.

You are 100% on the money. :)

And you would know this how?

8 Jaguar Cores
1.3-1.5 TF GPU
8 GB of RAM with ESram

For a moment there it seemed like you knew more. Man don't do this, "100% on the money" shit when you don't know anything more than the rest of us here :(

edit: What's up with people pretending? I mean seriously wtf

Reiko

Banned
And you would know this how?

For a moment there it seemed like you knew more. Man don't do this, "100% on the money" shit when you don't know anything more than the rest of us here :(

Would anybody really quote about being 100% on the money... Without fear of being locked away by MS ninjas?

thuway

That would be shit, to be honest. 360 had 0.25, so in the end that means 5 or 6 x the 360 after eight years... that´s not good.

But i stay positiv and still expect a 2+ TF GPU.

No. This is a console environment with custom silicon. Stop reading the numbers. Custom like Xenos, means incredible things in smaller packages.

Gorillaz

MS ain't got no ninjas. They are American, CIA brother, they like to make things as public as morally possible.
image.php

Indeed oh snap. Pretty strange thought considering everything. But you can't really like everyone in the world.

Well this is Gaf. People take into consideration that there are a lot of PR/hype men of different companies (not just the big 3) that come through here. That's not saying anything to you or anyone else but, since there are many agendas at play for people and companies, everything is taken with a grain of salt.

thuway

If people won't lynch me, I have a very STRONG suspicion that you will see a facsimile of 7770 GHZ Edition inside your Durango. However, it will be custom sillicon, and modified to bits. You cannot compare apple to apples.

No. This is a console environment with custom silicon. Stop reading the numbers. Custom like Xenos, means incredible things in smaller packages.

If it´s good enough for you, nice for you. But it´s not good enough for me. And please stop with the "consoles use super duper parts that are much much better" fairy tale.

So, like i said, 1.3 - 1.5TF GPU would be shit after eight years.

Mindlog

If people won't lynch me, I have a very STRONG suspicion that you will see a facsimile of 7770 GHZ Edition inside your Durango. However, it will be custom sillicon, and modified to bits. You cannot compare apple to apples.
Weird change of tune from the 2.5+ or bust cheer-leading of old.

Proelite

If it´s good enough for you, nice for you. But it´s not good enough for me. And please stop with the "console use super duper parts that are much much better" fairy tale.

So, like i said, 1.3 - 1.5TF GPU would be shit after eight years.

I don't think the generation will last eight years. :D

thuway

If it´s good enough for you, nice for you. But it´s not good enough for me. And please stop with the "console use super duper parts that are much much better" fairy tale.

So, 1.3 - 1.5TF GPU would be shit after eight years.

I don't think you understand how things work. TF are not the only metric we judge graphic cards by btw. However, if you are going to focus on that number- prepare to be disappointed. You are forgetting other things people have posted earlier:

A) Custom silicon
B) Three different hardware addition to assist with graphic work (ES RAM being one)
C) 8 GB of RAM

I can't wait to watch the meltdowns as the months roll by.

Karak

Well this is Gaf. People take into consideration that there are a lot of PR/hype men of different companies (not just the big 3) that come through here. That's not saying anything to you or anyone else but, since there are many agendas at play for people and companies, everything is taken with a grain of salt.

I hear you. One of the reasons I waited so long, and through 2 of the earlier hints from him, before I even posted. I have seen how it swings back and forth. Just a bit fucking raw about it at times. Diss on stuff HATER. Share something Liar. Get it right MOUTHPIECE.

To me its just all games stuff. And I happen to be interested in them whomever makes the damn things:)

I don't think the generation will last eight years. :D
Agreed no way. Maybe 4 or so before things switch over to something else or the cloud for sure.

Top Bottom