• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Microsoft preparing Xbox App and GamePass for Nintendo Switch

Not sure how reliable this is but it actually seems kind of in line with what Microsoft has been saying regarding the expansion of its GamePass service. MS also seems to want to bring xCloud to Switch which it showed some time ago running Forza on mobile phones.

Now clearly, take this with a gigantic heap of salt for the time being, but it doesn't seem too crazy to be honest.

If true, is Microsoft not handing away a bit too much to competing platforms (although Nintendo isn't quite a DIRECT competitor, but not far off either)? Or is it actually a positive for Microsoft in terms of exposure to an audience that might otherwise not be too receptive towards them?

Update:
Game Informer validates the rumor:

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...ging-game-pass-and-published-titles-to-switch

"According to a report from outlet Direct Feed Games, an outlet that has a strong track record for rumors especially centering around Nintendo, Microsoft and Nintendo are about to get together in a big way in the near future. "

"In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year. "

Last edited:

dorkimoe

If this somehow worked...this would be the greatest thing ever....not even kidding.. That being said I dont believe it for a minute

Last edited:

DrNeroCF

After the Google streaming beta I'm starting to believe that a streaming service could actually work on the Switch. Would rather stream fro a PC, though (which MS might actually be in a good position to provide).

Biggest limiting factor would be Nintendo's garbage wifi chip on the Switch.

Solo Act

After seeing the Trials demo running on Switch, only the lightest games on Game Pass can run as they are on Nintendo's hardware. XCloud is another matter, but has arguably more technological hurdles. Nintendo implores people to connect a LAN cable to reduce lag in Smash. How much more would that apply to game streaming?

I'll sit down in the Team Fake camp for now.

After the Google streaming beta I'm starting to believe that a streaming service could actually work on the Switch. Would rather stream fro a PC, though (which MS might actually be in a good position to provide).

Biggest limiting factor would be Nintendo's garbage wifi chip on the Switch.

Well, for the record, Capcom does have Resident Evil 7 running on there via streaming. It's been Japan only but it has been shown to work, so there's that.

Doesn't seem crazy at all to me, but the huge asterisk here is that it is only conpatible with xCloud. So unless you have awesome internet, it loses its purpose.

With that said, it makes sense; nintendo suddenly gets access to third party titles that are keeping a lot of people from getting the switch, and microsoft gets revenue from gamepass subscribers. Sony is MS's only real threat

Caayn

I'm not interested in the xCloud but Inhome streaming to the Switch would be pretty cool to have.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
A lot of opportunities with these 2 potentially coming together (cross-play aside), so many doors that could open up for both them.

DrNeroCF

Well, for the record, Capcom does have Resident Evil 7 running on there via streaming. It's been Japan only but it has been shown to work, so there's that.

Yeah, weird how it's Japan only and only one game.

What really bugs me is how many YouTubers who aren't in Japan tried streaming it across the ocean then bashed it for not working great.

Calibos

Xbox as a platform, not just a plastic box...that’s what MS has been saying with their messaging. Takes them out of the plastic box race...which is exactly what they need.

Excited to see where this could go if true.

JLB

Banned
Of course, it makes sense and eventually will happen. And this is independant of Xbox as ecosystem (hw+sw) is doing in the market. The old good know "hardware is not profitable -or barely´-" was always truth. The thing is that the technology to realize this vision (GP, PS Now, Nintendo whatever) is just emerging / consolidating.

zenspider

Yeah, weird how it's Japan only and only one game.

What really bugs me is how many YouTubers who aren't in Japan tried streaming it across the ocean then bashed it for not working great.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is available for Switch in Japan as well.

There's your answer to cross play. Just play online with each other via cloud services. Monetising cross play.

I imagine Nintendo and Microsoft are working on non compete grounds. Meaning no huge home push from Nintendo and no handheld concerns for Microsoft. The enemy of the enemy is by friend...

Im not sure what Nintendo gains from handing over their ecosystem. Cloud streamed games that Nintendo has gotten already anyway, and would be sold by not them so they wouldn't even be the ones profiting? Why does Nintendo care about that when they can just make smash ultimate 2 and sell another 15 million.

PSN alone generates more revenue than Xbox or Nintendo. That is what Nintendo would be surrendering.

This reeks of desperation. Spencer needs to buy a new deodorant because we can smell it from all the way over here at Sony HQ.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
This reeks of desperation. Spencer needs to buy a new deodorant because we can smell it from all the way over here at Sony HQ.

The constant press releases, news articles, interviews, and steady stream of leaks makes you wonder. Literally, its like every day there is a silly article or leak or something. (its like a repeat of 2013) Its like marketing budget went insane.

Sony is over there going.... "we don't have much to talk about but... you want to take a long look at a game we've spent some time on (Days Gone), hopefully you like it."

Last edited:

Sparda

Banned
Great oppurtunity if this happen. But i don't know if Nintendo want to give money to microsoft... usually they make their own way.

Even if it were selling well, Microsoft will still venture beyond consoles.
Only because they have to though. How quickly everyone forgets that not so long ago you had to have a Gold sub to watch Netflix or use an internet browser, and Microsoft aggressively refused crossplay. Do you really think Microsoft would have abandoned their love of walled gardens if the Xbone was selling like the PS4?

Edit: the parallels here are really funny because let us also not forget that Portal 2 on the PS3 supported Steam.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But - Game Pass isn't a "streaming" service, it lets you download games to your Xbox or PC and play them. Still interesting, just confusing brand messaging.

Halo0629

I wonder how you would be able to run really demanding xbox games without frying your switch? I bet gamepass on switch would mostly be streaming only.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Would love gamepass shame nintendo switch wifi chip is pretty much ass.
It is not even funny how bad it is.
Hoping their hardware revision will fix this poop.

JimboJones

MS published games on Nintendo handheld isn't unprecedented so there is that.
I'd give it a go if the reports are good.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
MS published games on Nintendo handheld isn't unprecedented so there is that.
I'd give it a go if the reports are good.

That would make a lot more sense. Games Ori, Minecraft, Super Lucky Tale, etc I could see doing well on the Switch, with some sort of integration with Game Pass so that if you subscribe you can download and play those games for free on the Switch.

Also, several games that are currently part of Game Pass are available on the Switch already: stuff like The Walking Dead, ARK Survival Evolved, Rocket League, DOOM, Terraria, Kingdom Two Crowns, Snake Pass, etc.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets see them offer streaming on Xbox and PC before jumping to Switch as a target platform!

12Dannu123

Only because they have to though. How quickly everyone forgets that not so long ago you had to have a Gold sub to watch Netflix or use an internet browser, and Microsoft aggressively refused crossplay. Do you really think Microsoft would have abandoned their love of walled gardens if the Xbone was selling like the PS4?

Edit: the parallels here are really funny because let us also not forget that Portal 2 on the PS3 supported Steam.

Yes probably because Google and Amazon are coming into the streaming market, a platform agnostic service that can be played anywhere. Microsoft even if it were selling well will extend that lead beyond consoles, because those companies are much more massive and have much more resources compared to Sony.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Wasn't there a rumor everything on gsmepass will be able to be streamed at some point? This would coincide with that.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Nintendo should let Microsoft take care of the online services for the Switch.

They could benefit greatly from it, as the responsability would no longer be in their hands. It would be a pretty bold move, but worth it. Would make everything better.. for everybody.

Last edited:
Master Chief for Smash Fighter Pass

Come onnnnnnn

That would be legendary. I would honestly buy a switch and smash just to play him and Joker
kttcolidamn

Top Bottom