• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai on Smash clone haters: "A lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

Typical Melee players... the hypocrisy in the Melee community is so bizarre. They hate clones, yet fail to realize that the only two characters used in Melee, Fox and Falco, are carbon-copy clones.

I just don't get it.

I find it hilarious that the "GRR I HATE MELEE FANS" crowd projects their argument into anything they possibly can, even statements like this that have absolutely nothing to do with Melee or its fans.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The thing for me is that I don't quite believe it doesn't increase manhours. In anything that is created, more time must go into it. And Sakurai has made a direct comparison of clones to "real characters" in the past. While development considerations obviously change over the course of a decade, this particular interview does not do much to remove the mentality that all these facsimile characters could be excised and instead a fully realized character would exist in their place.

That's a preferable situation to me. I'm not going to call Sakurai names like some folks do, but I'm going to have a difference of opinion and express it as appropriate. And I'm also going to call out nonsensical analogies and reasoning.

Clones take less manhours. That's the idea. They have a few extra hours so they added them.

See... Melee's "we could've added DeDeDe or 5 clones".

Monocle

Maybe Sakurai should have come up with better clones.

By "better clones" I mean anyone but Dark Pit. I doubt many fans would complain if Fierce Deity Link got the clone treatment.

NeonZ

The thing for me is that I don't quite believe it doesn't increase manhours. In anything that is created, more time must go into it. And Sakurai has made a direct comparison of clones to "real characters" in the past.

Was that "6 clones to 1 new charactercomparison" for Melee or just another legend? Does anyone have a source where that's mentioned?

Either way, in this case, at least two of them were costumes before being modified into separate characters, so it'd be even less work than the Melee clones that had models built just to be playable characters.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe Sakurai should have come up with better clones.

By "better clones" I mean anyone but Dark Pit. I doubt many fans would complain if Fierce Deity Link got the clone treatment.

But would he wield the Helix Blade with 2 hands and shoot energy beams?

Tegernako

Banned
I still can't tell the difference between marth and lucina and pit and dark pit
Lucina has a much superior aerial game as well as being more balanced overall. Marth is probably harder to master but in the end may be more rewarding due to potential damage output. His forward smash also kills faster I believe.

Dark Pit hits harder and is slightly slower and rewards a more aggressive playstyle.

When people were talking about 'Doc' in the leak... I was so excited because I thought they were talking about Doc Louis.

And I still think Doc Louis should be a slower Little Mac clone..

Imagine a much slower, heavier, but more evenly balanced little Mac.. ON A BIKE.

The "clones are dessert" comparison is flawed. I mean, unless after my cheeseburger my dessert was another cheeseburger only with swiss cheese and sesame seed buns, then it's totally accurate.
I can't hate on a free cheeseburger though.

I have mixed feelings about the clones to be honest. I understand wanting to add more characters while taking it easy on the dev team. But sometimes I still can't help but feel disappointed with how certain characters play the same as others when they had the potential to give the player a more unique experience.

Lucina was originally going to be an alt for Marth, and it shows. However, it makes sense to me that she plays like Marth considering she spent part of her game pretending to be him. I prefer Lucina as a character, so unfortunately for Marth I feel that there's no reason for me to ever play as him, since the differences between the two are too small to matter to me. He's just not special anymore.

Dark Pit is essentially a clone of Pit in the literal sense. Him being a clone of Pit as a fighter was predictable, especially since he was an alt color for Pit in Brawl before he even existed as a character. I haven't played these two back-to-back, but from what I can tell, the only differences between the them are their Neutral B, with Pit's arrows being easier to change direction than Dark Pit's, and their Final Smashes. I see why he's a clone, but it still bums me that he had to be that way. I think about all the different weapons that Uprising had to offer and can't help but imagine what could have been.

Other than that though, I'm normally fine with clones when I at least feel like I'm playing another character. Like Ganondorf's moves are based off of Captain Falcon's moves, there's no argument there. Yet enough has been done with him in both stats and aesthetics that it feels like Ganondorf has his own identity as a fighter. Well, sort of. I love playing Ganondorf, but I'm still in the camp that wishes they'd give him his own moveset, put Black Shadow in Smash, then give him Ganon's old moveset, but that's neither here nor there. I feel the same way with every other clone character that's been the series to date. It's just Lucina and Dark Pit that feel the most like a blatant copy-paste job. But I'm happy with the majority of the roster, so I see no reason to bitch.

Top Bottom