• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That said, check out the posts about changing the NeoGAF logo. Get on that, yeah?

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.

hQP2pvK.jpg

The feels

I wanted to listen We Were Angels after seeing that. Seems kinda fitting in a way.

Drain You

Oh man...

Out of all of the (incredible) tribute images so far, this has hit me the hardest. Nintendo games exist in brightest parts of human imagination - they push the buttons at the epicenter of fun, slide through our brains bringing a trail of creative whimsy in their wake. Seeing a picture of Kirby crying, or Mario with his head bowed still takes me to those vibrant worlds - a sadder continent to be sure, but in those vibrant worlds nonetheless.

This image, though... this is brick and stone. Metal and mortar. This is real. An actual human of finite longevity, of failing flesh and blood, will soon be laid to rest. Another incarnation of the man can't be programmed, another Iwata asks can never be held, and another direct with him will never be filmed.

Iwata's final credits are here, the closing coda on one of the most genuine and beloved characters the game of life ever programmed. Sure, we can replay Iwata's greatest moments, but we'll never get another new level.

So thank you, Satoru Iwata. Thank you for your integrity, thank you for your prowess, and most of all - thank you for leading us through the few bright spots Earth still has to offer. </3

God damn, this post made me lose it. Beautiful post. Can't believe I'm tearing up over this.

If anybody feels like adding the ribbon to my avatar it would be appreciated.

Even after letting it sink in for a moment, my brain still can't process that he passed away. I'm really really sad since he was legit, one of my favorite persons in gaming. He was always smiling, had a good sense of humor and seem to enjoy what he was doing even through tough times like these past few years. Really going to miss seeing him in Nintendo Direct and Iwata Asks.....it won't be the same without him. :(

I just need to let this out, so please bear with me...

I STILL remember the day when my parents got the NES as our very first console, at our old, much smaller house. It was our grandparents who bought it, saying it is all the fad. My parents played it, but not as much as myself at 4 years old and my brother at 2. My brother beat Mario Bros 3 game at age 4, but I may be wrong.

After moving to new house, we finally have a larger space to play Track and Field, along with big floor pad, we would play on it all day and invite friends over...

Our BEST ever Christmas morning was in 1997 when we got a Nintendo 64 by a huge surprise, no Christmas have even came close... we played as brothers a lot... along with Mario Party, Zelda OoT, Mario 64, etc. Our dad used to play Mario Kart 64 with us everyday. Countless sleepover happened because of Nintendo 64.

We then bought a console with our own money for first time... which is Gamecube... then Wii, and finally Wii U. To this day, we STILL remain loyal to Nintendo, even at age 30 myself. I still play Mario and Zelda, even after friends telling me to try Playstation and Xbox games which I have NONE interest in. I always tell them back to try KartGAF and tell me that again. :p

Now... I owe this all to this man, Mr. Iwata. Thank you for creating wonderful memories for us, and providing the fun to today and future generations. I still will be playing Nintendo games with my future kids, and tell them all about my memories... Thank you.

Oh my God... This is horrible. I thought he looked pretty skinny after his surgery, but this is so unexpected. He really had vision, even if the market didn't share it.

RIP

I'm gonna admit something really cheesy here.

Whenever I would watch the Nintendo Directs and Iwata would wave goodbye, I'd always wave back. A silly little thing, but I enjoyed doing it.

I guess that won't be happening anymore :(

TheStig88

Can someone please make me a ribbon avatar? I can't make it myself because I'm traveling.

I just burst into tears and I don't even know what to do. I wasn't always on the same page as Iwata, but I always loved him and the company that he ran. This just hurts so much. I only just found out 10 min ago. Went from complete shock to just falling apart.

If I could at least pay my respects with a ribbon avatar, it would mean a lot. Thanks.
rbhpNQI.png

Shoot me a PM if the placement doesn't work for you.

Sad to hear the news this evening. I knew bile duct cancer is difficult to treat, but somehow I never thought much of it for him. He was always the face of Nintendo in one form or the other, so it is quite shocking and sad to happen so quickly. Thinking of him and his family and his family at Nintendo....

g23

European pre-madonna
RIP! Truly a huge blow to the industry. My prayers go out to his family.

I know it might be too early to ask, but who do you guys think will step up as his replacement?

Anteo

My god... that and the fact they put Balloon Trip as one of the games to beat during the World Championships...

I want to believe it's not true. Everything was just too sudden and that's why they dont have a replacement linet up already.

I want to believe....

cacildo

I'm gonna admit something really cheesy here.

Whenever I would watch the Nintendo Directs and Iwata would wave goodbye, I'd always wave back. A silly little thing, but I enjoyed doing it.

I guess that won't be happening anymore :(

That was great but now it's sad

I immediately asked the art team if they could come up with something upon hearing the news. That being said, the posts yelling and demanding a logo change have in some cases been extremely rude and inappropriate, and the current Pride logo was intended to run through July to celebrate marriage equality in the United States, which is an important sentiment in its own right. If the art team creates something we're happy with then a special memorial logo may be uploaded. Please remain calm and let us run the site on our own terms, and do no derail the thread around logo change talk, either way. Thanks.
Awesome.

This is going to leave a heavy hole in my heart, he was such an influence on my childhood, from Pokemon to Smash to Pikmin to Zelda. Such a legend in my influence. Just starting to hit me, this sudden news, totally thought he would fight it through, like Jobs....I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT, EVEN NOW...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If I were an artist, I would be drawing a picture of him and Yamauchi playing Go in heaven.
I'd also be cool with Iwata and Yamauchi playing Famicom, with Iwata looking all genki while Yamauchi looks at the controller puzzled.

Damn. :(

Iwata-san was so cool, he was probably the only CEO sorta guy I actually enjoyed listening to and reading the interviews etc. :( I actually believed he cared so much about Nintendo and the gamer. The extra effort in things like Iwata Asks showed he really cared about the game and making things fun instead of just money money money.

Thanks for bringing so much fun directly to us. :(

RIP. :(

Me too. His interviews with developers was Always interesting to me. It gave me a real appreciation for developers and Nintendo that much more. Was really a treat learning little bits of pieces of what goes on behind the scenes. Its hard to believe he has passed away. I can't think of Nintendo and not think of him and Miyamoto. He is and will be very truly missed. Gawd...

Just got back from the hospital as I broke my collarbone but I am numb at this news and feel no physical pain but teared up and am quite sad.

Loved Iwata, a gamer CEO in an industry lacking them.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
RIP Satoru Iwata. President of Nintendo. Legendary programmer. An executive who never forgot his lifelong passion. A CEO who took a paycut rather than lay off his staff. A man who bring joy to millions by understanding that video games are supposed to be about one thing - Fun.

Thank you for a childhood worth of smiles. They are worth the present shedding of tears.

As someone who grew up obsessed with Nintendo, but fell out of sync with them around the Gamecube era, I never "knew" Iwata the way I felt a connection with some one like Miyamoto. However, I started tuning in to the occasional Nintendo direct the last couple of years and I can say without a doubt, that Iwata's joy and enthusiasm was contagious. I never bothered to read about his past, or even his current position at Nintendo, but during those live streams and combing through the GAF reaction threads, there was always a sense this guy was special and genuine to the core.

To feel such a punch to the gut for a person you barely knew, speaks volumes to the quality of their character. 55 is too soon for anyone. For someone as dedicated as he was to making others happy, it is a fucking tragedy. RIP.

Incredibly sad news, came as a complete shock as I didn't know about his recent health troubles. Such a influential figure in the gaming industry. RIP Mr. Iwata.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It's probably been said already, but does anyone else find it really sad that the last thing we heard from him publicly outside of shareholders, was that he was sorry that he let us all down at E3?

This really breaks my heart :(

I've been tough on Iwata and Nintendo over the past few years, but it's been tough love because Nintendo is and will always be my favourite gaming company. I'm a Nintendo fan forever and I will never forget what Iwata did for Nintendo and gaming in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom