• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi) OT - A Perfectly Normal and Moe Slice Off Life Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruuppa

First episode until the last few minutes had convinced me to drop this like a hot rock.

Those last few minutes though.. Definitely worth watching.

Megu-nee is already dead, right? It's not just me, right?

Mortemis

Banned
man the first 20 minutes is definitely up there for most boring shit I've seen in a while, if it wasn't for everyone's reactions I wouldn't have put myself through that, I would've never even bothered or knew about it is more correct.

but man that twist, gonna check out the next ep just cuz of it. even knowing that a twist is coming doesn't prepare you

i didn't rewatch it, but yuki is the only one who even acknowledged her right? plus that comment she made about her not being noticeable... man

jediyoshi

Been hard following this show, have had to drop my usual channels of watching discussion cause of spoilers

SO MUCH HARDTACK

First episode until the last few minutes had convinced me to drop this like a hot rock.

Those last few minutes though.. Definitely worth watching.

Gotta be. I'm guessing they encourage yuki's delusion because it points her in the right direction. Now I'm wondering whether yuki was there when whatever went down with mugu-nee happened.

Heh, if it wasn't for this OT I wouldn't have given this anime a shot.

For the most part it's actually somewhat entertaining even if cliched at times. I do wonder how much of the manga the series will end up covering though.

I do wonder when Yuki will truly break and go crazy.

I thought it was pretty obvious from the get-go considering the club members' reactions to her are delayed.

Walpurgis

Banned
The first
20 minutes weren't so bad since it was just a typical first episode for a slice of life but the dog chasing kind of dragged for me. Looking back, there were a lot of clues and knowing what it was now, I have to say that it was really well done.
However, the final part was simply unpredictable. I watched this show because of this thread and knew that the show
had violence
but I did not see that coming at all. Like wtf. Just wow.
devestated.gif

The episodes that followed were great too, better than
High School of the Dead
. I really like how character focused the show is so far. The last show that I tried to watch simulcasted turned out to be shallow shit (Glasslip). It looks like I don't have to worry with this one.

JulianImp

The first
20 minutes weren't so bad since it was just a typical first episode for a slice of life but the dog chasing kind of dragged for me. Looking back, there were a lot of clues and knowing what it was now, I have to say that it was really well done.
However, the final part was simply unpredictable. I watched this show because of this thread and knew that the show
had violence
but I did not see that coming at all. Like wtf. Just wow.
devestated.gif

The episodes that followed were great too, better than
High School of the Dead
. I really like how character focused the show is so far. The last show that I tried to watch simulcasted turned out to be shallow shit (Glasslip). It looks like I don't have to worry with this one.

This is exactly what I felt.
At first it was like "Oh, so it's just another moe slice of life show" and planned on watching it rarely, like I tend to do with anything slice of life. Then the classroom was empty and the zombies showed up, and I was left saying "What?" over and over for the rest of the episode.

Glad to see people taking a chance with this show, since I think it definitely delivers.

MUnited83

For you.
I absolutely love all the little hints through out the first 20 minutes of the episode.
The reaction of the girl when she interrupted Yuki's Class for the first time
How she entered that other room non-challantly before Yuki pointed out to be polite to the class
The barricade of chairs (that was pretty weird at first lol)
The "Living Club" pun lol, coupled with the fact that the rules is that the members of it fucking live in the school is the biggest giveaway

RangerBAD

After episode 3
, I'm convinced Megu died at some point and she's just part of Yuki's delusion. That might have even been when Yuki broke. In episode 2 when Megu would just pop up out of nowhere... That was when I started to suspect. Other things like she doesn't really sleep in the same room as everyone else are clues too. It's just so fucking sad. :(

jediyoshi

I absolutely love all the little hints through out the first 20 minutes of the episode.
The reaction of the girl when she interrupted Yuki's Class for the first time
How she entered that other room non-challantly before Yuki pointed out to be polite to the class
The barricade of chairs (that was pretty weird at first lol)
The "Living Club" pun lol, coupled with the fact that the rules is that the members of it fucking live in the school is the biggest giveaway

Some other stuff
Occasional shots of broken windows
On the roof, all the 'people' on the field are slouched over
They all acknowledge garden club members in one shot, in the follow shot where they'd still be visible, they disappear
Chalkboard writing 'All is in the darkness in the past. Please don't throw me away. Help me.'

I'm convinced now, the show is legit. The art style doesn't even bother me anymore, the twist truly changed my perspective of the this show in a 180°. I'm getting Perfect Blue vibes from
Megu and the dog, I don't know whats real or not and I love it.

After slowly digesting the twist yesterday my mind was blown again thinking of all the
hints and the perspective of the classmate when she was with the MC. I'm talking Fight Club level mind blown here.

My face when I completely understood what was happening:
sheparddisbelief.gif

Some other stuff
Occasional shots of broken windows
On the roof, all the 'people' on the field are slouched over
They all acknowledge garden club members in one shot, in the follow shot where they'd still be visible, they disappear
Chalkboard writing 'All is in the darkness in the past. Please don't throw me away. Help me.'
Don't forget
The Grave in the Garden with Megu's ribbon tied to it

Stuart444

So I just finished the first episode.

I had spoiled myself a little on the
twist
after seeing this thread but didn't get time to watch it until now.

The build up and the clues was pretty good. I'm not usually one for watching
zombie anime but this one is very interesting to me.

Going to watch the next few episodes in a bit but I am liking this so far.

edited: added spoiler tags, I thought I had used them but turns out I didn't, sorry peeps :(

JulianImp

School-Live! - EP4
No more hints. Megu-nee
is already dead.
Seeing Yuki watch in awe as the stairs, main entrance and track were all undergoing repairs was okay-ish, but
I guess the author just can't overuse her point of view now that her tendency to delude herself to hell and back are well known by the audience.

I was expecting this episode to get to the road trip faster for pacing reasons (possibly using flashbacks later to show how things begun), but I guess they only meant EP4 as a set-up for the club members' meeting with Miki next episode. I bet she'll end up chasing afer Taroumaru and will come across the girls by chance, but not before
being led to her zombified friend by Taroumaru's nose

Now I'm really looking forward to Yuki and Miki's interactions, since based on what we know so far
Miki never got a chance to meet Megu-nee, which resulted in her awkwardness when around Yuki and her imaginary teacher.
I'm also interested in seeing how they'll manage to fit inside the car
if it doesn't have three seatbelts in the back seats, since given Yuki's concerns for "safety first" the rest would have to struggle to have her allow "Megu-nee" to not use a seatbelt so that Miki can use the other one at the back.
Then there's the fact that the car
shows up crashed during the ending, which isn't a good omen at all...

Gakkou Gurashi! 4

Felt weak. Kei and Miki are really genre blind. I get that
Kei really wanted to go outside, but Miki staying behind and letting her go all alone really sets up a death flag for Kei. At least if both of them went outside, the chances of them dying would be lower.

Curiously,
since they already have access to a vehicle, why doesn't Kurumi just drive them outside their town to find help? I mean Yuki has her delusions and all, but they could convince her otherwise. It just feels strange that they have a means to escape and yet they prefer to stay in school.

UberTag

School-Live! - EP4

I'm also interested in seeing how they'll manage to fit inside the car
if it doesn't have three seatbelts in the back seats, since given Yuki's concerns for "safety first" the rest would have to struggle to have her allow "Megu-nee" to not use a seatbelt so that Miki can use the other one at the back.
Actually they get around that issue in rather clever fashion in the manga so I imagine similar circumstances we'll apply here. (Spoilers from the manga below... beware.)

Next week's episode shares the same title as manga Chapter 11 so we'll undoubtedly get a similar recounting of events in flashback form (similar to this week)... with some Chapter 10 sprinkled in for color.

The quick explanation for that is...
Yuki is incapacitated from leading the rest of the girls to Miki's location and they're both pretty much laid out for the trek back to school
which takes place in Chapter 12.

Incidentally, the anime skipped over a rather important scene in Chapter 6 (
the sending up of the "We are Fine" balloon letters with directions to the school
) that I imagine will be revisited later. Not to mention they added both
Miki and Taromaru
to those in the OP so that's a safe assumption. In fact, I think the anime did this plot point better given that
Yuki should not have excluded Megu-nee from those notes so casually at that point

FYI, I don't expect the anime to cover territory beyond Chapter 30 unless it gets renewed. There's a really important sequence in Chapter 29 that both parallels and book ends the first episode of the anime that I feel is critically important but I suspect that's where the show will wrap things up (in hopes of a 2nd cour) unless it goes the anime original ending route (which I don't anticipate).

Gakkou Gurashi! 4

Curiously,
since they already have access to a vehicle, why doesn't Kurumi just drive them outside their town to find help? I mean Yuki has her delusions and all, but they could convince her otherwise. It just feels strange that they have a means to escape and yet they prefer to stay in school.
There are a number of reasons for this which I suspect will be the crux of focus for this series. The main one being that
they're still relying on being rescued and aren't mentally prepared to leave the school behind until circumstances beyond their control force them to act independently and chart a new course.
They call themselves the School Life Club, after all.

The other obvious point is that
the school is fortified, has a solar power grid, has a functioning garden, food stores and water supplies. You just don't give that up for no reason.

Another good episode this week.

That said, I do find it weird that
they seem to haven't bothered clearing out the school. One would think it would be safer if they closed the gate and spent a couple days working on slowly killing all the zombies

Another good episode this week.

That said, I do find it weird that
they seem to haven't bothered clearing out the school. One would think it would be safer if they closed the gate and spent a couple days working on slowly killing all the zombies

The only person in the group who can even deal a blow to the zombies does so with a blunt shovel. I doubt she'd be able to last long against literally hundreds of zombies even in their own school. Plus there's also the chance of her seeing someone she knew zombified and being reluctant to kill them, putting her at risk. Remember, these are schoolgirls with little to no combat/medical experience, one wrong move and the whole group dies.

Also one other thing I remembered from the episode being that apparently
the only reason Miki even bothers to look for Kei is because Taroumaru ran off near the end. What an awful friend she is.

FYI, I don't expect the anime to cover territory beyond Chapter 30 unless it gets renewed. There's a really important sequence in Chapter 29 that both parallels and book ends the first episode of the anime that I feel is critically important but I suspect that's where the show will wrap things up (in hopes of a 2nd cour) unless it goes the anime original ending route (which I don't anticipate).

I really hope the anime really picks up the pace. Gakkou doesn't seem to be the kind of show that may have a second season soon (I may be wrong but judging by the amount of responses on this forum, it doesn't appear to have enough popularity to garner a second season.) I really want to see a conclusion to this series.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
man I love me some slice of life pointless anime, but these reactions show there is more than meets the eye.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I really hope the anime really picks up the pace. Gakkou doesn't seem to be the kind of show that may have a second season soon (I may be wrong but judging by the amount of responses on this forum, it doesn't appear to have enough popularity to garner a second season.) I really want to see a conclusion to this series.
I had this fear right after I started watching the show (after ep. 3) and just decided to go read the manga. I'm tired of getting burned by anime that end after one season and never wrap up properly (or at all). I'll continue watching the anime because it's good, but as far as the story goes I'm gonna rely on the manga for that.

Ep 4

Miki backstory.

They're really expanding Taroumaru's role here. In the manga
he was only in one chapter as a plot device to show all mammals can be infected as well as humans.

JulianImp

man I love me some slice of life pointless anime, but these reactions show there is more than meets the eye.

Please read the thread title again.

Oh, and another thing, the official website, particularly the characters page, changes around 12am JST.

http://www.gakkougurashi.com/chara/index.html

Wow, that's really interesting.
It's kind of unsettling that many characters are facing backwards, and it almost makes me think that only Miki, her friend and the brunette girl from the club will turn out to be the only survivors.
Please, don't let Yuki, Kurumi, Megu-nee and Taroumaru turn around and show their zombified faces after a couple more episodes.

Hopefully the show gets a second season soon, because it's definitely one of the more interesting ones I've seen recently.

After listening to the OP over and over (It's really catchy!), I can't help but notice that they like to throw around シタイ a lot. Shitai could mean "want to", but since the official lyrics use Katakana instead of Hirangana, they most likely intend a double entendre,
the other meaning of Shitai (死体)being "Corpse". 

Then I read elsewhere, apparently the whole song is filled with double entendres.

Syapaaye from Youtube said:
First, shitai can mean "want to" or "dead body" (or even both)
Kousou can mean "go back" or "evacuation" or "public funeral" or "school funeral" (and probably all of them)
Suki can mean "like" or "spade/shovel" /laughs uncontrollably
Houka can mean "class dismissal" or "abandonment" with go meaning "after"
And many other double-entendres if you're stressful enough
And take a notice how the lyrics are sometimes in past tense. Like "we tried crying our voices out" or "I tried saying I like you"
I mentioned if you want to overthink it, so it's not an obligation to do so.

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3codw3/spoilers_gakkou_gurashi_episode_1_discussion/csxzd2x (Reddit link where I first got this from)

Someone else even made a
cruel
parody of the song that changes the words above into Kanji to make the song's intent clearer.

(The text below is all in Japanese)

死体から~死体なら~死体とき~死体でしょ~♪
遺書に☆灰!私達はここにいます~♪ここには夢がちゃんとある
腐鎌怒なら友達でしょ~♪(葬だっ!)好きって言ってみたい~♩(Die好き☆)
放火後なら当たり前のこと~♪
さあさ集まれこっそり帰るな
腐割胴だね~割胴しちゃうね~
遊んでるんじゃありません
ただいま~ってあの子が言うよ(おかえりー)
みんなでいればDie丈夫(うっ)
いつまでも 友達でいようね
死体から~死体なら~死体とき~死体でしょ~♪(Die好き☆)
私達は他の死んでる24時間はしゃいでる
屋上には真っ赤な太陽
かなり溶けてみたい(元気でーす!)
私達はここにいます~♪ここには夢がちゃんとある

Ep 4

Miki backstory.

They're really expanding Taroumaru's role here. In the manga
he was only in one chapter as a plot device to show all mammals can be infected as well as humans.

Guess the idea is for people to get really attached to him until he's inevitably killed off. Its going to be brutal. But to be honest I kinda hate the bastard, but the "he found his way home" bit really got me in the kokoro :(

So okay the Megu
is dead
but at least the dog is legit and we're also getting his little story with Miki which is cool. So far this anime has really grown on me from my moe hate to my 8/10 zombie filler while HOTD S2 happens.

I'm a little hesitant to post in this thread with all this manga spoilers but I hope this thread doesn't die like most of the one anime only threads.

JulianImp

After listening to the OP over and over (It's really catchy!), I can't help but notice that they like to throw around シタイ a lot. Shitai could mean "want to", but since the official lyrics use Katakana instead of Hirangana, they most likely intend a double entendre,
the other meaning of Shitai (死体)being "Corpse". 

Then I read elsewhere, apparently the whole song is filled with double entendres.

Someone else even made a
cruel
parody of the song that changes the words above into Kanji to make the song's intent clearer.

(The text below is all in Japanese)

死体から~死体なら~死体とき~死体でしょ~♪
遺書に☆灰!私達はここにいます~♪ここには夢がちゃんとある
放火後なら当たり前のこと~♪
さあさ集まれこっそり帰るな
腐割胴だね~割胴しちゃうね~
遊んでるんじゃありません
ただいま~ってあの子が言うよ(おかえりー)
みんなでいればDie丈夫(うっ)
いつまでも 友達でいようね
死体から~死体なら~死体とき~死体でしょ~♪(Die好き☆)
私達は他の死んでる24時間はしゃいでる
屋上には真っ赤な太陽
かなり溶けてみたい(元気でーす!)
私達はここにいます~♪ここには夢がちゃんとある

I... uh... 大好き...
DIE好き
f870dc819b6b0958018e020b5296749f.gif

Stuart444

So just caught up (watched ep 1 a few days ago, now caught up on the rest today).

;_; Episode 3 was depressing enough, episode 4 was just... ;_;.

That fucking ending. It feels like being kicked while I'm down with the sad song and the black and white credits. Just... ;_;

I'm not normally into depressing anime but I feel too attached now to not watch the rest of this. I'm so curious. Is it worldwide or is it limited to Japan or even just the area or what? Is Kei dead? (based on that character page above, I'm guessing not). What happened to Megu-nee and is that what caused Yuki to snap? Will we ever find out what fucking happened? So many questions.

I hate this thread for getting me into this.

JulianImp

So just caught up (watched ep 1 a few days ago, now caught up on the rest today).

;_; Episode 3 was depressing enough, episode 4 was just... ;_;.

That fucking ending. It feels like being kicked while I'm down with the sad song and the black and white credits. Just... ;_;

I'm not normally into depressing anime but I feel too attached now to not watch the rest of this. I'm so curious. Is it worldwide or is it limited to Japan or even just the area or what? Is Kei dead? (based on that character page above, I'm guessing not). What happened to Megu-nee and is that what caused Yuki to snap? Will we ever find out what fucking happened? So many questions.

I hate this thread for getting me into this.

More people need to become aware of this show. It manages to take overused anime and fiction tropes and use them in farily smart ways. The moe moe kyun~ style
is perfect for creating an amazing contrast between the cutesy fantasy that goes on in Yuki's mind and the dreadful reality of being the few remaining survivors of a zombie apocalypse
, and then
zombies aren't overused like in most works of fiction that feature them. They're scary and dangerous, but the show manages pay little attention to the zombies themselves, focusin in what happens to the survivors.

I'd love to see it all adapted to anime form, but I guess that depends on whether it's profitable enough. That's part of why I'm recommending School-Live! to others, since it's definitely my AotS based on what I've seen so far.

FluxWaveZ

Watched episodes 1-3, and I can't say I care much for this show.

From the OP, it was obvious that
the show would be pulling some sort of subversion. So, despite how unbearable most of episode 1 was, I powered through to see exactly what it was. As fully expected, it has a dark twist, but I didn't see it being a zombie apocalypse scenario with a delusional main protagonist, so that's a plus.

I'm not an expert of this genre or "moe," but after watching the first three episodes, I'm really finding the typical cute anime moe crap to be oh so painful.
Juxtaposing it with this dark twist serves nothing but to give a different kind of excuse for the usual cutesy stuff that I cannot stand. The moments where there is an active engagement and acknowledgement of the world they now live in are not nearly meaningful enough or frequent enough for this to work for me.

When it comes to
subverting expectations of a genre, I like it when it's a slow build up into an inevitability like School Days, when the subverted element informs the narrative directly like Madoka Magica or when it's "dark" in a way that feels impactful like Attack on Titan.

So far, I'm not getting any of that from "School-Live!" Maybe that changes once all of the introductory episodes are gone through, but I'm not impressed. I'm also someone who can easily look over a relatively dodgy execution if I love the concept—and I really like this concept—but it just seems like I'm watching the worst kind of slice-of-life,
guest starring zombies.

Also, the characters all look like they're 8-10 even though they're seemingly aged 16-2X.

the show would be pulling some sort of subversion. So, despite how unbearable most of episode 1 was, I powered through to see exactly what it was. As fully expected, it has a dark twist, but I didn't see it being a zombie apocalypse scenario with a delusional main protagonist, so that's a plus.

I'm not an expert of this genre or "moe," but after watching the first three episodes, I'm really finding the typical cute anime moe crap to be oh so painful.
Juxtaposing it with this dark twist serves nothing but to give a different kind of excuse for the usual cutesy stuff that I cannot stand. The moments where there is an active engagement and acknowledgement of the world they now live in are not nearly meaningful enough or frequent enough for this to work for me.

When it comes to
subverting expectations of a genre, I like it when it's a slow build up into an inevitability like School Days, when the subverted element informs the narrative directly like Madoka Magica or when it's "dark" in a way that feels impactful like Attack on Titan.

So far, I'm not getting any of that from "School-Live!" Maybe that changes once all of the introductory episodes are gone through, but I'm not impressed. I'm also someone who can easily look over a relatively dodgy execution if I love the concept—and I really like this concept—but it just seems like I'm watching the worst kind of slice-of-life,
guest starring zombies.

Also, the characters all look like they're 8-10 even though they're seemingly aged 16-2X.

At the very least, the manga gets far more
dire
than what we've seen in the anime so far.
There are pretty frequent shakeups that make returning to the status quo impossible.

FluxWaveZ

At the very least, the manga gets far more
dire
than what we've seen in the anime so far.
There are pretty frequent shakeups that make returning to the status quo impossible.

Good, that's what I'd be interested in. I imagine something like
a main character death would shake things up in a way that would shift the show more towards my tastes.

JulianImp

When it comes to

guest starring zombies.

Depends on how you interpret the concept, since to me it's
a story built around the mental breakdown of Yuki, wrapped in a zombie apocalypse setting and dressed as a generic moeblob slice-of-life story. I'd have to agree that the zombies are only being used as a plot catalyst so far, but using a cutesy style creates an interesting disconnect between the way things look and the way they really are in my opinion

If you care about world building, then EP4 has a bit which should get expanded a bit further next week.

Finally, I have to agree with the bolded. EP4 was particularily bad with that one scene with Miki, which instantly joined my "scenes that'd be disastrous for someone to walk in to" list.
And yes, that list includes most of Monogatari.

Luminaire

I...oh my.

I've already asked a few people to watch this, but its hard to pitch it to them without giving things away or making it seem suspicious.

Either way, good job with the OT. It caught my attention and something seemed...off. I'm glad I looked into this. Thank you.

Gakkou Gurashi 5

It's an alright episode, didn't do much for me frankly, but it was interesting seeing
Yuki's delusions breaking if only temporarily. It's only a matter of time before she completely loses it though.

That teddy bear's gonna haunt them all I tells ya. I just keep getting a bad vibe from it.
Keeping items that resemble a person close to you who is dead does not do well for a person's sanity

UberTag

Enjoyed today's episode quite a bit... it was actually the one to deviate the most from the original source material.

The title for Episode 6 is cribbed directly from manga Chapter 13 and should focus on
Miki's integration to the School Live club and how she adjusts to Yuki's neurosis (i.e. pretending everything is hunky dory, that Megu-nee's still alive, etc.)
It's one of my favorite story arcs in the manga and I look forward to seeing how it plays out in the anime.

FYI, the above is not a big spoiler. It's something you could logically surmise and we've already seen the aftermath of it due to the flashback nature of this current string of episodes. I'd love to talk about manga spoilers but this isn't the forum for it.

That said, I now fully understand why they introduced
Taromaru
into the anime right out of the gate in Episode 1.

Stuart444

That said, I now fully understand why they introduced
Taromaru
into the anime right out of the gate in Episode 1.

Can you explain that? Curious lol.

Also just watched the latest episode myself:

Not too much happened but it was a good ep and each ep seems to make me emotional now. ;_; especially seeing Yuki break and stuff. Though it was thanks to Yuki's delusion breaking (even just slightly) that they even saved Miki. Also that scene in what looked like a daycare of some sort was a bit sad when they were explaining what probably happened ;_;.

again, I appreciate this anime being brought to my attention with this thread but man, it makes me so emotional watching this ;_;

jonjonaug

Good, that's what I'd be interested in. I imagine something like
a main character death would shake things up in a way that would shift the show more towards my tastes.
It gets a lot better as it goes along. Expect the quality to pick up around episode 7 or so.

Ekid

Gakkou Gurashi 5

So we saw a glimpse of what happened to
Megu-nee
. Apparently she was
bitten on the arms

This show continue to deliver.

Sifl

Ok, I haven't clicked on a single spoiler or read a single comment of this thread other then the OP.

Despite the art style, this is a generic moe garbage anime, yes or no? I just have a feeling the reactions are trolls in the OP.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ok, I haven't clicked on a single spoiler or read a single comment of this thread other then the OP.

Despite the art style, this is a generic moe garbage anime, yes or no? I just have a feeling the reactions are trolls in the OP.

No.

-Horizon-

No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom