• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Jackson

Sklorenz said:
Insane as shit, no doubt, for the DS. I'm floored. Do items have a simple 1-5 rating on many aspects, though (not a bad thing)? Found it strange that a few balloons attached to a whale while including a fan would make it travel on a horizontal plane. Was this what was used to compensate for the DS' limitations and should we expect this sort of occasional compensation due to inadequate hardware? A small price to pay either way, no doubt.

Just wondering what to expect from the final product, if possible.

I don't think many would challenge me if I said it's the best DS has to offer. I could be wrong, I'm not going to say it with 100% certainty, because there's nearly 1000 commercial games and who knows how many homebrew. But you're not going to find many in the physics department that can compare.

Tobor

permutated said:
Folders, keywords, icons, there are plenty of ways to include the option for people who want it.

I like the art direction and the idea behind the game, just not the method in which you access the mechanics.

I think when I said it looks 'boring' it might have been taken out of context a bit and I should explain, the input method may take more time or become more monotonous than the usual folder/menu method. That's all I meant.

I hope you guys enjoy it, that's what matters. It looks very innovative, and I'm not speaking ill of the game at all, simply voicing my opinion about the menu system.

Peace :)

I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you're grasping the immensity of available objects. We are talking about more than ten thousand nouns. There is literally no way to segment that into folders or icons and have the player be able to access them in a reasonable amount of time. If you made 50 folders, you'd have more than 200 objects per folder. That's just not feasible to navigate.

Typing the name of the object is the only way to make this concept work with the current technology.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
permutated said:
Folders, keywords, icons, there are plenty of ways to include the option for people who want it.

I like the art direction and the idea behind the game, just not the method in which you access the mechanics.

I think when I said it looks 'boring' it might have been taken out of context a bit and I should explain, the input method may take more time or become more monotonous than the usual folder/menu method. That's all I meant.

I hope you guys enjoy it, that's what matters. It looks very innovative, and I'm not speaking ill of the game at all, simply voicing my opinion about the menu system.

The folder system would defeat the purpose of the game really. The point is imagination. If there was a folder system of tens of thousands words, you'd just look at everything for ideas instead of coming up with your own words. It'd also be be tedious to scroll through. It's much faster to type Cthulhu than searching through a folder system for it. Plus people would just choose the stuff closer in the folder system.

You don't just have to type, you can also write out the letters (typing is faster though).

I don't understand how a folder system or a little big planet type thing can even possibly be faster, less tedious, or less boring than just typing or writing the word. I'd shoot myself in the the face if I had to search for the word ketchup bottle when I could just type it out.

And I'd kill to have little big planet let me just type out what I wanted instead of having to find it every time I needed it (If the ps3 had an interface as fast as the ds touch screen that is).

Edit: And it's not "over 10,000" it's "tens of thousands" saying 10,000 would be like saying it's dozens, it is technically true, but really doesn't capture the ammount.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
permutated said:

What, do you want the game just to play 20 questions with you, then guess which item you want?

... Could we have a 20Q thing in place to summon items we can't remember what they are called? "I want that tallish thing that lets you get to greater heights by climbing on small platforms, now what was that called..."

Then again, it could be used to somewhat cheat the game and summon an object we need to solve a puzzle that we can't think of.

xfactor

Banned
permutated said:
I like Puzzle games, don't get me wrong, I just don't like the idea of having to type in every single thing I need to use.

Would be cooler if you could just say it, or draw it in, you know? Typing seems like...it's a game from the 90's I guess I don't know. Even LBP had a dropdown menu of all the little things you could add. I like that idea much better.

Again guys, just my opinion.

I don't want to summon a big cat when I really want to do is to summon a tiger =(

Scribblenauts is without a doubt my most anticipated game for any system at the moment. Back when games had extremely basic graphics you had to use your imagination to fill in the gaps - and this game looks like it recaptures that feeling, but in a totally different way. It isn't limited by the graphics, only by your imagination. I can't wait to see what kind of crazy domino effect-type reactions will be discovered.

I hope it receives the support it deserves. I've been thinking of lots of medical/biochemical words and visualizing how they'd be represented in the game. I'm pretty sure a lot of our time is just figuring out how (random object) could possibly be implemented.

jarosh

permutated said:

i just think you are COMPLETELY, ENTIRELY missing the point of this game. none of what you say makes any sense. whatsoever.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Jackson said:
I don't think many would challenge me if I said it's the best DS has to offer. I could be wrong, I'm not going to say it with 100% certainty, because there's nearly 1000 commercial games and who knows how many homebrew. But you're not going to find many in the physics department that can compare.
I like how it's decently late, you're a successful game developer, and you're spending you Tuesday night chatting with us retard GAFfers.

May the gods of retail shower you with well-deserved sales figures.

Firestorm

Yeah, seeing everything in your folder would totally ruin the magic of the game. Not to mention people are going to just pick the first thing they see that would likely work. It would be like seeing the man behind the curtain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When you've got a library of tens of thousands of items, and a game built entirely around summoning your imagination, a drop down list would totally kill the game.

Suggesting it just shows the point was missed entirely, in my opinion.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
EatChildren said:
When you've got a library of tens of thousands of items, and a game built entirely around summoning your imagination, a drop down list would totally kill the game.

But, hey! Scrolling between tens of thousands of objects would be easier and quicker than just typing the one you want!
No, not really.

EatChildren said:

So wait...you're saying a drop down menu would work alot better?

Awesome idea! Props.

I get it already, a whole page devoted to people rallying against me is quite enough. :p

Dacvak said:
I like how it's decently late, you're a successful game developer, and you're spending you Tuesday night chatting with us retard GAFfers.

May the gods of retail shower you with well-deserved sales figures.
That is pretty damn awesome.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
permutated said:
I get it already, a whole page devoted to people rallying against me is quite enough. :p

By my count, we still have 33 posts to go before we accomplish that goal.

To veer off course for a second, I really like the idea of typing in random shit and seeing what the spell check suggests. That's going to be my way of exploring places my imagination wouldn't allow.

I think it's time for me to just admit that I was wrong, completely wrong and just move on with it.

My bad, you guys are right. Typing things in with such an extensive list is a much better idea than what I suggested.

Yes Boss!

This game does look rather boring. I'd like to see more info about the acutal game...if it goes beyond the simple write-to-create mechanic. I did put a preorder in at Amazon because I enjoyed Lock's Quest, though.

From a joy.stiq interview of Jackson in February:

joy.stiq said:
Have any items turned out to have emergent uses in-game that you didn't expect?

Oh, all the time. Last week someone gave a bazooka to an elephant, who picked it up with its trunk, and then Maxwell threw a rock at the elephant to see what would happen. Of course the elephant got upset and started shooting randomly to defend itself. It wasn't very accurate - it's an elephant using its trunk to shoot a bazooka after all. But after all those explosions Maxwell didn't survive the ordeal. Still it was pretty funny though.
I'm gonna arm slugs with knives and Maxwell with salt. To the death. Puzzles can wait.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ShockingAlberto said:
If you post the words that didn't work, I'm sure they'll make it in to the final game.
I wish I had remembered to write down the words that didn't work. Oh well...

Sklorenz said:
This is my only *minor* concern, which is forgivable for a game so ambitious.
Again, I understand the limitations, but it is annoying when you can't use a staircase to reach the second floor of a house. I assume a large portion of the game will consist of creating items that don't -quite- work to solve the puzzle, requiring additional guesswork to find the write combination. It's not really a complaint, mind you, but it is a bit of an annoyance due to the fact that the game is creating items for you on the fly.

Oh, one other mild complaint -- the "use" actions seem a bit awkward. It is probably due to my inexperience with the game, but it seemed a tad clunky at times when I was trying to attach/link items to characters... that and a catapult should REALLY be able to launch a variety of things. Grrr... I wanted to launch cats -- that makes sense, right?

Interesting game. Now I'm trying to remember who won in the T-Rex vs. Dragon battle.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
DavidDayton said:
I wish I had remembered to write down the words that didn't work. Oh well...

Again, I understand the limitations, but it is annoying when you can't use a staircase to reach the second floor of a house. I assume a large portion of the game will consist of creating items that don't -quite- work to solve the puzzle, requiring additional guesswork to find the write combination. It's not really a complaint, mind you, but it is a bit of an annoyance due to the fact that the game is creating items for you on the fly.

I don't know if it'll be a large portion, just remember items are fixed, so summoning things that require specific dimensions might not always get you what you want. Or summon a growth ray and make that fucker bigger... (I wonder if that'd work actually...)

DavidDayton said:
Oh, one other mild complaint -- the "use" actions seem a bit awkward. It is probably due to my inexperience with the game, but it seemed a tad clunky at times when I was trying to attach/link items to characters... that and a catapult should REALLY be able to launch a variety of things. Grrr... I wanted to launch cats -- that makes sense, right?

I'd like it to launch anything too... but you better tie the cat down, I doubt it would stay on a catapult for long.

:Motorbass said:
But the ponit is to use your imagination and not to select something you see that could work. You have to think of your own. And I believe it is indeed faster to write something down than to scroll through a list of 100 Dinosaurs.

Bah, like you'd ever need any dinosaur other than T-Rex.

permutated said:
But the ponit is to use your imagination and not to select something you see that could work. You have to think of your own. And I believe it is indeed faster to write something down than to scroll through a list of 100 Dinosaurs.

edit; well argh, I missed this last page, sry permutated :]

EatChildren said:

Exactly. In every other puzzle adventure game, you are presented with an environment puzzle, and provied with a limited set of abilities and inventory, and you say "ok, somehow I know I have to use what's here to solve this". Its very orchestrated.

The beauty of this game is that you have to think about how to solve the puzzle without having the answer somewhere in your inventory. You have to dream it up.

My only concern is whether they can make such an open-ended game challenging.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Graphics Horse said:
You got a problem with quadraped dinosaurs? :/

You must've missed all my posts in previous Scribblenauts topics when I begged Jackson for a Styracosaurus in the game.

It's fine. I'm not a well-known GAFfer. I'm not hurt. Much. :( For the record, Triceratops is my favourite dinosaur.

Ramenman

permutated said:

To me the input method is what makes the game.

If you have a drop-down menu or anything list-like, the game is basically giving you ideas, you have the items before your eyes and you only have to say "I'll try that" or "no thanks".

Not having a list of what you can use requires you to actually think about the items, that's never seen before.

But yeah, peace.

Edit : oops, looks like my point was made in just about every post on this page :p

DavidDayton said:
Again, I understand the limitations, but it is annoying when you can't use a staircase to reach the second floor of a house.

How about you spawn a second staircase and glue them together to make it go higher ?

Blizzard

Banned
Ramenman said:
How about you spawn a second staircase and glue them together to make it go higher ?
Something like this, or stacking staircases (not sure if you can mirror them horizontally) was going to be be my ideal solution. Jackson may be able to claim catapaults only shoot rocks, but NeoGAF will band together and demand staircases that are at LEAST one story high! :lol

I'm split as to whether it would be great information-gathering for a sequel, horrible invasion of privacy, or just plain embarrasing for it to transmit a list of failed attempts to spawn items to 5TH Cell.

Mike M

Nick N
FoxHimself said:
The stairs doesn't reach the second floor? That's quite an oversight :lol

Well technically the puzzle was to get the cat off the *roof* of a house.

Don't know of any staircases in any houses that go up the roof (Though you could probably spawn two stair cases and stack the second one on some boxes to make a continuous staircase)

VAIL

Mike M said:
Well technically the puzzle was to get the cat off the *roof* of a house.

Don't know of any staircases in any houses that go up the roof (Though you could probably spawn two stair cases and stack the second one on some boxes to make a continuous staircase)

Or type "Stairway to Heaven"

b.e.r.g

35227i9.jpg
:lol

Is that Conan?

Mike M

Nick N
Vitet said:
Guys, you want a cat-launching catapult?

Rock + glue + cat

It's easy

Depends on whether or not the game treats the rock in the catapult as an independent object, or as a bullet being fired from a gun or something.

Though if you wrote "bullet" I'm sure one would appear for you to glue stuff to, so who knows.

Blizzard

Banned
Vitet said:
Guys, you want a cat-launching catapult?

Rock + glue + cat

It's easy
That wily Jackson will get us yet, though. I'm guessing the rocks will just be infinite "ammo" for a catapault weapon, just like a bazooka presumably has infinite appearing rockets without you having to write "bazooka round".

*edit* Beaten by 2 minutes, yargh. :D

GDGF

Soothsayer
Tobor said:
I'm not trying to be mean, but I don't think you're grasping the immensity of available objects. We are talking about more than ten thousand nouns.

Actually we're talking about tens of thousands of nouns! But you're right. Anything besides the current interface would be clunky and damn near impossible.

Edit: Nevermind, that was hours ago :lol

I was floored by the concept of this game when I first heard about it on some random podcast months ago, but I kinda forgot about it. I looked at some E3 impressions and decided I needed to know more... I found this thread and got to Post 217. Jesus Christ.

I've ordered two copies from Amazon; one will be a gift, obviously. I'm telling everybody I know that plays DS games about this thing. I hope this game finds incredible success and leads to more awesome stuff for/from 5th Cell. I haven't been this excited for a game in who knows how long.

Top Bottom