• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Forkball

Good video. Nice to see a new level. Pretty funny how they killed the shark too. I cannot wait for this game. Why do we have to wait until Fall? Jackson I will pay $50 for an unfinished version right now. Whaddya say?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Iksenpets said:
What I really want to see is Maxwell wielding a tractor beam to lift the whale.

That would totally work (and would be extra cool if you combined the tractor beam with a flying saucer), and if that would work, one could imagine him using a boat with a harpoon gun. I wonder if you get achievements for non violent solutions :lol

I don't think I'm going to get that achievement.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
On the beached whale one, has anyone tried Rope + Anvil + Catapault yet? That would be hilarious if it actually worked.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SovanJedi said:
On the beached whale one, has anyone tried Rope + Anvil + Catapault yet? That would be hilarious if it actually worked.

how about chain + glue + space shuttle.

(yeah, wouldn't land him in the water, but I'm still curious as to what would happen :lol)

EL Beefo

GDGF said:

(yeah, wouldn't land him in the water, but I'm still curious as to what would happen :lol)

2cnh0km.jpg

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Looks like it'll be a seriously fun game. I may just give this to my niece as a present (I'm no DS owner myself).

When's it supposed to come out in EU?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm glad the shark level has been shown, as it gives me more of an idea of how some of the puzzles will play out. Everything we've seen so far has been really simple an 'easy', understandably, and I was wondering how they would do puzzles that couldn't just be easily solved by 'wrecking up the place', so to speak.

The shark level shows a bit more depth on how some of the puzzles will play out, and the kind of thinking required.

Awesome.

jepense

GDGF said:

Why wouldn't it - you can fly the shuttle yourself you know.

CTLance

I wonder if you can build a lever(age), slip it beneath the whale and then drop something heavy, like another whale for example, on the other side to catapult it into the water - and if doing so will clear the level or not. I mean, there will still be one whale on the beach. It just won't be the one that was initially there...

GDGF

Soothsayer
jepense said:
Why wouldn't it - you can fly the shuttle yourself you know.

Oh really? That's cool!

I was just assuming that it flew offscreen and you had to restart the level :lol

CTLance said:
I wonder if you can build a lever(age), slip it beneath the whale and then drop something heavy, like another whale for example, on the other side to catapult it into the water - and if doing so will clear the level or not. I mean, there will still be one whale on the beach. It just won't be the one that was initially there...

You can call that solution 'Sacrificial Whale' :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
CTLance said:

Use a third whale to throw the second whale into the sea with the first whale - easy!

Oh I hope someone does a .gif of people spawning whales on opposite ends of the seesaw for all infinity once the game releases. 'Send more whales!'

If you could spawn a Switcher you could pretty easily beat every single stage with just an item and the Switcher.

Hmm I wonder what the most useful object will be throughout the game... What object alone will be able to clear most stages?

rass

Nickovic said:
What about tying a rope around the whale and then tying the other end to two whales and dragging it in.
what about getting waterskiis and having all 3 whales drag you into a tsunami? i want this game so bad

Jackson said:
NEW VIDEO GET! (See I was right! A vid DID drop today!)

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/25149

Enjoy. :D

Tagging this for later, but I did just want to say that I should have never doubted you, Mr. Jackson!

In all seriousness, this whole affair has really taken me by shock. 5th Cell is really going to blindside people from all angles when this gets released. A helpful, dedicated developer? Check. An amazing, ground breaking game? Check. A history of great games? Check.

This game is going to put Pickle's Toys-er, I mean, 5th Cell, on the map!

spoon!

I am so trying to summon that Kraken thing that guy spawned in one of those videos and see if it'll grab the whale and bring it into the water. to eat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm going to make a tower of whales glued together on a slight lean so the tower topples over into the water.

That will teach the stupid fucking beached whale.

Zeliard

They should add Calvin's transmogrifier to the game as an auto-solve feature. If you're stumped, you can transmogrify the item you're trying to use into something that would work.

For all the ongoing attempts to stump the dictionary, it bodes well that 5th Cell is busy entering internet memes and taking messageboard requests. Clearly they are just scrounging for missed words at this point, months before release.

Mike M

Nick N
CTLance said:

Why not just spawn a whale and drop it in the water and see what happens? Heh.

Mike M said:
Why not just spawn a whale and drop it in the water and see what happens? Heh.

Heh, I wonder how many puzzles could be "solved" by this sort of lateral thinking.

"Land this man on the moon!"

"Hmm..."

*Spawns Moon, Glue, and Man*

"Starite Get!"

Twig

Banned
FoxHimself said:
Jackson, do you have a "Dyson Sphere" in the game? If so, that would probably be the biggest single item, right?
Oh man that would be awesome. Summon the sun and then that and then plug it into a disco ball and the greatest dance party ever begins.

Unison

I know you can summon the Sun. Nintendo Power talks about that, saying you could use it (or a wooden stake, or holy water) to kill a vampire.

Tntnnbltn

Heh. I was looking around the internet for unusual words to forward to Jackson. I ended up at a site that actually listed the full version of my GAF username. It was a mind=blown breaking down the fourth wall kind of moment.

The word is tintinnabulation, an adjective. :(

Edit: Fuck yeah! Take that, Scribblenauts.

tintinnabulum (n.)
1. A small, tinkling bell

ITA84

Tntnnbltn said:
Heh. I was looking around the internet for unusual words to forward to Jackson. I ended up at a site that actually listed the full version of my GAF username. It was a mind=blown breaking down the fourth wall kind of moment.

The word is tintinnabulation, an adjective. :(

Edit: Fuck yeah! Take that, Scribblenauts.

tintinnabulum (n.)
1. A small, tinkling bell

It was also a Relic in Final Fantasy VI; I wonder if it restores health, provided it's put in the game.

Apoc29

So let me get this straight...

You can summon guns, flamethrowers, explosives...you can even KILL GOD...

...but NO alcohol.

Mike M

Nick N
Also of note in the new video is that "Crate" spawned the same object as "Box" seen in a previous video. But what of "Cardboard Box?" WHAT OF CARDBOARD BOX?

Zeliard

Apoc29 said:
So let me get this straight...

You can summon guns, flamethrowers, explosives...you can even KILL GOD...

...but NO alcohol.

So you can't kill God with a flamethrower while in a drunken rage?

Top Bottom