• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves Gameplay Launch Trailer

EDIT: already answered above, so ignore the below, since you're PC only.

Sign up for free 14 days Game Pass. Play the game for free. Cancel if you don't like it, or pay $10 a month thereafter to play free games monthly and cancel whenever you've had your fill.

I believe with game pass you can buy the games on there discounted

Iced Arcade

Kind of off topic: Just realized MS first party titles will definitely show lower than usual sales numbers due to these games being on game pass.

hiphopcr

Kind of off topic: Just realized MS first party titles will definitely show lower than usual sales numbers due to these games being on game pass.
If Game Pass is really the paradigm shift (tm) we think it is, we'll have to change our thinking when it comes to "sales".

On the upside, due to these games being on Game Pass the player base should be considerably larger.

YoshiMax

Nintendo fans are a special breed. Gotta love them.

Sure, but it's still $60 MSRP.
But yes, those interested in the game should probably take advantage of the Game Pass considering all the concerns about longevity. I know I will! Looking forward to finally playing it without any test limitations.

Yeah it's incredible. Makes me wish they would share the tech because water in other games is severely lacking in comparison (namely, FFXV which I have been playing over the past week).

They used the tech in Forza Horizon 3 and it’s apparently going to be implemented in PUBG

VAL0R

Banned
Yes, success metrics will have to take Game Pass into account going forward. My question is, will Game Pass exclusive titles be part of MS's strategy?

I’ve the launch day booked off... yarrrrr let’s do this!

Sometimes I forget I’m 33

Any GMT gaffers fancy teaming up?

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
GOAT I am hype as fuck!

I have wanted a true shared adventure game for so long. Not just PvE combat, not MMORPG, not wholly passive/creative like Minecraft, but shared adventures that get updated. This is the real deal. Basically a new genre, and perhaps the best genre of the future.

My gamertag is dicetrain hit me up.

Last edited:

CRAIG667

You can see some of that Post-Nintendo Rare polish at 00:23. They didn't even bother to animate the characters flying away from the explosion, and their character models just freeze.

Are you for real? I wish I could type some of the thoughts about you and your type.

If you're still wondering about what you can do in Sea Of Thieves, I recommend watching this video.

Looks great but I still have some concerns about the grind. Those hats for example are quite expensive and the gold rewards for treasure is rather low. Has it been confirmed there is no way to buy gold with real money (microtransactions)?

Sea of Thieves is an Xbox Play Anywhere title, also available on Game Pass. If you only play 2 new MS Play Anywhere titles a year the Game Pass value is there for you as a PC gamer.

$60/game x 2 annual MS PA games = $120
$10/month Game Pass fee x 12 months = $120 **

**With this option your Game Pass gets you access to not only the 2 MS PA games you might have purchased, but every MS PA title in the Game Pass library for $0.00 extra.

This is what i am going to do even though Game Pass is way less valuable on the PC compared to the Xbox but then again we don't have to pay for Xbox Live Gold. At first I pre-ordered this game but I got my money back once it was confirmed to be eligible on Game Pass on the PC and after seeing State of Decay 2. Even if Crackdown 3 shits the bed I figure I am still ahead by paying monthly. Plus there will be other games coming this year, hopefully Forza Horizon 4 or a new Fable.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Will probably get the game pass for Sea of Thieves as money is extremely tight right now. I love the game but just can't afford $60 right now. :(
Don't have an Xbox One but played the stress and beta tests of the game on my PC and it was amazing! When I get some extra money, I'll gladly
buy the PC version.

The only real downside I see to this game is although you can "go it alone" you're at a huge disadvantage against well manned bigger boats. Also, this is one game
where voice chat is essential IMO and often found myself leaving crews if nobody had a mic. You really need communication in the game for the ship sailing and
coordination and the limited pre-made chat options just don't cut it.

VAL0R

Banned
Will probably get the game pass for Sea of Thieves as money is extremely tight right now. I love the game but just can't afford $60 right now. :(
Don't have an Xbox One but played the stress and beta tests of the game on my PC and it was amazing! When I get some extra money, I'll gladly
buy the PC version.

The only real downside I see to this game is although you can "go it alone" you're at a huge disadvantage against well manned bigger boats. Also, this is one game
where voice chat is essential IMO and often found myself leaving crews if nobody had a mic. You really need communication in the game for the ship sailing and
coordination and the limited pre-made chat options just don't cut it.

Edit: Sorry I just quoted a block of text here, my phone was being really janky. Anyway, I have a headset/mic and am happy to play with anyone here. Gamertag: Va1or

Last edited:

AZCards

Game is going to be very shallow and hard to play with just yourself. Played enough of the beta and if there isn't any "new" content for live then people are going to be pretty disappointed. Not worth the price they are asking.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Game is going to be very shallow and hard to play with just yourself. Played enough of the beta and if there isn't any "new" content for live then people are going to be pretty disappointed. Not worth the price they are asking.

I kindly disagree AZ. I believe Rare has stated that they held back a bunch of content from the alpha, stress and beta tests. We got nowhere near the content that's in the full game. They've also gone over quite a bit of "end game" content/missions like becoming a "Legendary Pirate Captain", getting your own "Pirates Cove ie; base with customization options along with your ship.

Here's a couple really good videos that *should* ease your hesitation to jump in:

Eurogamer link: 6 Things that weren't in Beta/End Game

Force Gaming: Endgame

I swear I read somewhere that Rare is also considering "Raid" type encounters as well.

Spheyr

Banned
I'm not spending $60 to get sent to the brig every time I join a game, it was bad enough doing it for free during the beta

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm not spending $60 to get sent to the brig every time I join a game, it was bad enough doing it for free during the beta

I'm sure we will eventually get a NeoGAF "Thieves Guild" for fellow gaffers who have mics and actually want to play the game, have fun and not troll other players((at least their own teammates).

Unity2012

I need to find more XBL friends.
Add me😎

I've played SOT for over 30hrs. The concept of "creating our own adventures," is real in this game. I've played solo on a small ship and with friends in a big Galleon and it's just as fun either way. Solo or not, one always encounters other players or a few surprises. I can't wait to finally play the full game.

Last edited:

shpankey

not an idiot
I'm sure we will eventually get a NeoGAF "Thieves Guild" for fellow gaffers who have mics and actually want to play the game, have fun and not troll other players((at least their own teammates).
Someone make a thread for us and a list of gaf users.

When can we pre-load this thing on Game Pass? Have a feeling it'll be available only on launch day..most likely will pop up in Recently Added section.

AZCards

I kindly disagree AZ. I believe Rare has stated that they held back a bunch of content from the alpha, stress and beta tests. We got nowhere near the content that's in the full game. They've also gone over quite a bit of "end game" content/missions like becoming a "Legendary Pirate Captain", getting your own "Pirates Cove ie; base with customization options along with your ship.

Here's a couple really good videos that *should* ease your hesitation to jump in:

Eurogamer link: 6 Things that weren't in Beta/End Game

Force Gaming: Endgame

I swear I read somewhere that Rare is also considering "Raid" type encounters as well.

I'd love to be wrong about Sea of Thieves. Would be nice to get an actual good pirate game for once. But that video didn't show me anything worth while. I was actually hoping to make my own pirate, kind of sad that you're not able to.

Think I'll kindly pass on this game until it drops in price and more content comes out.

Calibos

Got my “Gamepass” ready and finally hyped for this...it will be a nice break from PubG for me...See you all at the bottom of the Sea!

Anyone know if the 30 day trial of Game Pass lets you live share? I heard the 14 day one does not. Would love to try this with my son and see if hes really into it before he goes back to Fortnite.

VAL0R

Banned
It's not like that is the only game they offer to play for $10 a month and 30 days is a long time to play a game. If this model is not for you then purchase it, problem solved.
30 days? MS stated they plan to archive at least their titles in there indefinitely.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

Will new Microsoft Studios titles cycle out of the Xbox Game Pass catalog?

New Microsoft Studios titles are added to Xbox Game Pass with the intention of them being a regular part of the ongoing catalog for Xbox Game Pass members.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So does this release at midnight tonight? I'm in the States: Michigan(Eastern time zone). Or will it be sometime later in the day on Tuesday? Thanks mates!

And lastly, I'm buying a $10 Xbox game pass for the PC version. Where do I put this code in? On the PC Xbox store? And will it let me "pre-load" the game? Again, Thanks!

Last edited:

Calibos

30 days? MS stated they plan to archive at least their titles in there indefinitely.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-game-pass

Will new Microsoft Studios titles cycle out of the Xbox Game Pass catalog?

New Microsoft Studios titles are added to Xbox Game Pass with the intention of them being a regular part of the ongoing catalog for Xbox Game Pass members.

I think "Louis Cyphre" meant you could get gamepass, play Sea of Thieves for 29.5 days and then cancel gamepass.

When are reviews for this bad boy hitting?

Probably towards the end of the week...the servers don't go live until 9pm or something like that so I would guess that sites like IGN will want to test the live gameplay before scoring.

So does this release at midnight tonight? I'm in the States: Michigan(Eastern time zone). Or will it be sometime later in the day on Tuesday? Thanks mates!

And lastly, I'm buying a $10 Xbox game pass for the PC version. Where do I put this code in? On the PC Xbox store? And will it let me "pre-load" the game? Again, Thanks!
There is no preload for Game Pass games, HOWEVER...

You can switch your region in Windows 10 settings to Australia and download and play the game right now.

sunnz

watching streams now and oh boy it is SO easy to spawn kill, especially if its a large 4 man team vs a 1/2 man team.

I can see people stop playing out of frustration.

Rest looks great though.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Ok I'm trying to switch time zones and used Australia time zone and restarted comp. When I clicked on the Xbox Windows 10 store it said the game wouldn't be released until 3pm Aussie time.

What am I doing wrong or did MS "patch" this?

Also, I bought a Xbox $10 game pass and redeemed it on the Windows 10 store under redeem code and it said my account was credited $9.99. Will the game be available once I get the time right or
am I doing something else wrong here? :(

It looks boring imo but to each their own. I guess if you have enough friends to play with it can be fun but what isn't fun with friends. I don't know.

Ok I'm trying to switch time zones and used Australia time zone and restarted comp. When I clicked on the Xbox Windows 10 store it said the game wouldn't be released until 3pm Aussie time.

What am I doing wrong or did MS "patch" this?

Also, I bought a Xbox $10 game pass and redeemed it on the Windows 10 store under redeem code and it said my account was credited $9.99. Will the game be available once I get the time right or
am I doing something else wrong here? :(
Switch your region, not your time zone. It's in another tab in the same settings page (Time & Language).

Last edited:
I bet this game will be amazingly fun and addictive to play and it definitely had that WoW feel to it but DAMN does this look like SHIT. Just because it will play like WoW, doesn't mean they had to make it look like launch WoW.

WaterAstro

watching streams now and oh boy it is SO easy to spawn kill, especially if its a large 4 man team vs a 1/2 man team.

I can see people stop playing out of frustration.

Rest looks great though.
Yeah, killing players is meaningless because they spawn so fast, and you just spawn camp them, so they are frustrated, and you feel frustrated because combat is so shallow.

I'm watching Lirik already complaining about this very thing since they are being streamsniped.

Edit: lol sodapoppin just said "Hey devs, this is stupid. Fix it."

Last edited:

louis89

I bet this game will be amazingly fun and addictive to play and it definitely had that WoW feel to it but DAMN does this look like SHIT. Just because it will play like WoW, doesn't mean they had to make it look like launch WoW.
I really don't get this complaint. For me it's one of the best looking games I've seen in a long time.

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t feel like resubbing to live. I should have a free month somewhere at least but do you need it? I only really have a bone x for gamespass but I’d try this out

WaterAstro

Just watching Lirik's stream. Seems like they're already getting bored since they've already played the beta for a few days.

I've been watching lirik yesterday and right now and I don't get appeal at all. And I hate artsyle, especially pirates look. I know it was supossed to be funny and comedic but to me it's off-putting. Water looks nice.

VAL0R

Banned
I love how whipping out an instrument and playing when you see a random pirate is a great way to say , "we cool, just passing through, don't kill me, k?" I climbed on a guy's ship and did this, then he joined in and I started dancing. My kids and I thought it was hilarious because neither one of us knew if we would be shooting each other at any second, but he kept playing and I kept dancing. He in-game texted me, "*wipes away tear*", lol. Then his ship sank and we parted company.

WaterAstro

Wow, looks like Lirik's crew has jumped shipped, and it hasn't even been 4 hours. They're playing an indie Bomberman copycat.

Top Bottom