• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: Official Review Thread

-MD-

You know what's hilarious is between me and a buddy we had somethin like 60-70 hours in the game (coop and solo) and we never once saw a Kraken.

Alx

Apparently the Kraken only attacks galleons. I haven't seen it either (played 95% solo).

Havoc2049

Apparently the Kraken only attacks galleons. I haven't seen it either (played 95% solo).

Ya, the Kraken only attacks galleons. I'm between level 25-30 with each faction and have put a significant amount of time into SOT. I play about 50% of the time on galleons and I've fought the Kraken about 10 times or so. I've defeated it every time except for once. The time we lost, it was right after we finished a long battle with another ship and we were low on supplies and ran out of planks and cannon balls to fight the Kraken off. We actually had a decent amount of treasure on board as well, which kinda sucked. Lol

I'm enjoying SOT, but I don't think it's a good streaming game and is better suited for YouTube. Sea of Thieves is like Elite Dangerous lite. Like Elite Dangerous, it may be fun to watch an epic battle, but in between ship battles, fighting the Kraken and Skull Fort battles, the majority of the time is spent traveling and completing mundane (sometimes interesting) tasks for money, with the risk of a high stakes encounter always present.

Last edited:
There are bodiless Krakens though lol.

More quality posts. You have never played the game and hate it. That's fine, nobody is trying to change your mind. Why are you in here trying to change others' opinion of the game? What does this add to the discussion and why the hell isn't this garbage moderated?

Anyways, did the OT ever get made?

I wouldn't want to play this game solo or with randos (unless I got really lucky and found a group that talked and were fun) but having a blast playing with sons/friends. That social interaction makes or breaks the game for me. For me right now, it's about a 6.5 (out of 10 where on my scale 5 is average). I'm still early in the game, but they need to get the content flowing.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

More quality posts. You have never played the game and hate it. That's fine, nobody is trying to change your mind. Why are you in here trying to change others' opinion of the game? What does this add to the discussion and why the hell isn't this garbage moderated?

Anyways, did the OT ever get made?
It is a quality post because it's a fact.

And I encourage you to make the OT because THIS particular thread is about critiquing the game. You won't see me there, but, unfortunately, none of you seem to be interested in making one in the first place.

Yes it doesn't have a body. How does that harm the game? What other games save processing power by hiding unseen elements and how does that affect you? Why does it matter to you since you haven't played it and clearly don't plan on playing it.

Oh I'm sure you'll chime in on an OT also. You seem to enjoy detailed "critiques" of games you have neither played or wish to discuss with an open mind. I have been lectured to about adding my voice "in earnest" on this site in order to add to a discussion, meanwhile this bullshit carries on.

I have no problem with low review scores for this game. To me so much of what makes the experience is who you play with and how they play the game with you. But when someone who hasn't played the game continues to give their "critiques" over and over without adding anything to the discussion one would think it would be moderated at some point.

So how many hours of gameplay have you watched so I can compare it to how many hours I have played?

WaterAstro

Yes it doesn't have a body. How does that harm the game? What other games save processing power by hiding unseen elements and how does that affect you? Why does it matter to you since you haven't played it and clearly don't plan on playing it.

Oh I'm sure you'll chime in on an OT also. You seem to enjoy detailed "critiques" of games you have neither played or wish to discuss with an open mind. I have been lectured to about adding my voice "in earnest" on this site in order to add to a discussion, meanwhile this bullshit carries on.

I have no problem with low review scores for this game. To me so much of what makes the experience is who you play with and how they play the game with you. But when someone who hasn't played the game continues to give their "critiques" over and over without adding anything to the discussion one would think it would be moderated at some point.

So how many hours of gameplay have you watched so I can compare it to how many hours I have played?
When you see bugs like that, the suspense of disbelief is gone. It takes you out of the moment and becomes a complete turn off.
This applies to any game with any bug. Clipping issues, animation problems, anything.

I stopped watching it pretty much when the streamers stopped being interested, but I watched probably 60-80 hours between Lirik and Summit, mostly the betas, and the couple of days they put into launch.

VAL0R

Banned
When you see bugs like that, the suspense of disbelief is gone. It takes you out of the moment and becomes a complete turn off.
This applies to any game with any bug. Clipping issues, animation problems, anything.

I stopped watching it pretty much when the streamers stopped being interested, but I watched probably 60-80 hours between Lirik and Summit, mostly the betas, and the couple of days they put into launch.

You watched 60-80 hours of streaming SoT, yet you hate it so much you can't stop posting about it!? LOL! That's insane. You are a enigma wrapped in a mystery my friend.

WaterAstro

You watched 60-80 hours of streaming SoT, yet you hate it so much you can't stop posting about it!? LOL! That's insane. You are a enigma wrapped in a mystery my friend.
People watch streams for the streamer, so it was a temporary flavour of the week where all the variety streamers were playing it.

You clearly don't know what DLC means when you first challenged me about microtransactions.

You never said you justified that the game is worth $60, well I never said that you did. I said you should because you're obviously going to defend this sinking ship. I'm focused on making sure people don't get ripped off by reading your review and thinking it has "potential", because the idea of reviewing a game based on potential is absurd. It's also hilarious that you chose to make a "real, official review thread", and you only posted four while the other three are mine. Scared that more reviews are shredding this game apart?

This is purely childish at this point. Calling it a sinking ship, also suggesting before Rare has no integrity and unlike the developer behind No Man's Sky, that they won't be supporting the title and how it's all about money. You couldn't be more wrong and your trolling behavior is now beyond persistent.

https://www.pcgamer.com/sea-of-thieves-update/

Coming in early May, the first big content update, called The Hungering Deep, will add 'a new AI threat' to the world, as well as 'a number of new mechanics' and some unique rewards. The event sounds similar to the kraken, in that it can "bring crews together" and may require them to work together.

After that, Rare plans to release two more content updates this summer, and then three more before the end of the year. The first summer update is Cursed Sails, which will add a new ship type, and the second is Forsaken Shores, which will add a 'perilous part of the world to explore.' Both will also include new 'mechanics,' new events, and new rewards. All of these updates will be free.

Rare also says it's planning to run weekly events.

You see, Rare is supporting this game. Rare is engaging with the community. Rare is giving us updates. That's a far cry from what we saw from that other game just after launch. If you have a beef with Microsoft take it somewhere else because there really is no other explanation why you care so much about this title.

WaterAstro

This is purely childish at this point. Calling it a sinking ship, also suggesting before Rare has no integrity and unlike the developer behind No Man's Sky, that they won't be supporting the title and how it's all about money. You couldn't be more wrong and your trolling behavior is now beyond persistent.

https://www.pcgamer.com/sea-of-thieves-update/

Coming in early May, the first big content update, called The Hungering Deep, will add 'a new AI threat' to the world, as well as 'a number of new mechanics' and some unique rewards. The event sounds similar to the kraken, in that it can "bring crews together" and may require them to work together.

After that, Rare plans to release two more content updates this summer, and then three more before the end of the year. The first summer update is Cursed Sails, which will add a new ship type, and the second is Forsaken Shores, which will add a 'perilous part of the world to explore.' Both will also include new 'mechanics,' new events, and new rewards. All of these updates will be free.

Rare also says it's planning to run weekly events.

You see, Rare is supporting this game. Rare is engaging with the community. Rare is giving us updates. That's a far cry from what we saw from that other game just after launch. If you have a beef with Microsoft take it somewhere else because there really is no other explanation why you care so much about this title.
Yes... you quoted me from a week ago before they announced this update. If you actually followed everything that I've said about the game, I've consistently said they need content as soon as possible, ahead of their previously scheduled "3-month post-launch update".

This is a good thing for them to try and address their issues, but until we see what the updates are in the game instead of two people talking (because as Crowbcat pointed out, they've said a lot of bs), everyone should remain skeptical. They certainly haven't proven themselves with the launch.

And what other game? If you're talking about No Man's Sky, that game has gotten so many updated, couple of new game modes that completely change the game, that it's literally a different game than it was at launch, and I really liked No Man's Sky at launch in the first place.

Yes... you quoted me from a week ago before they announced this update. If you actually followed everything that I've said about the game, I've consistently said they need content as soon as possible, ahead of their previously scheduled "3-month post-launch update".

This is a good thing for them to try and address their issues, but until we see what the updates are in the game instead of two people talking (because as Crowbcat pointed out, they've said a lot of bs), everyone should remain skeptical. They certainly haven't proven themselves with the launch.

And what other game? If you're talking about No Man's Sky, that game has gotten so many updated, couple of new game modes that completely change the game, that it's literally a different game than it was at launch, and I really liked No Man's Sky at launch in the first place.

Everyone should remain skeptical? Again, who the hell are you to tell anyone anything. Some people are actually enjoying the game now and you already gave them no benefit of the doubt long ago because you clearly implied Rare had no integrity.

"Unfortunately, that's not how corporations work. They worry about money more than their players. If the game doesn't do well, Microsoft won't be interested in continuing support for it.
They'll put a skeleton crew on it and ride out the game in its current state. No Man's Sky is indie, and they have integrity, so they supported their game despite the negativity at launch. "

That's what you said before and now you want EVERYONE to remain skeptical. Yes your comment was a week ago and here we are one whole eternity of a week later and low and behold they have updates coming for free. Did they go into hiding like Hello Games did FOR MONTHS? So why are you so quick to write off Rare and so quick to think they are going to drop support? Oh that's right, because you never had any faith in the title before and you certainly have no faith in it now. Yet you're glued to the game like they owe you something even though you never invested anything but your endless amounts of free time here try desperately to turn everyone away.

I will say it again, if your problem with the game is it's linked to Microsoft then take your baggage somewhere else because there is no other reason anyone would be this adamant about a title they seem to have no interest in to keep talking about.

WaterAstro

Everyone should remain skeptical? Again, who the hell are you to tell anyone anything. Some people are actually enjoying the game now and you already gave them no benefit of the doubt long ago because you clearly implied Rare had no integrity.

"Unfortunately, that's not how corporations work. They worry about money more than their players. If the game doesn't do well, Microsoft won't be interested in continuing support for it.
They'll put a skeleton crew on it and ride out the game in its current state. No Man's Sky is indie, and they have integrity, so they supported their game despite the negativity at launch. "

That's what you said before and now you want EVERYONE to remain skeptical. Yes your comment was a week ago and here we are one whole eternity of a week later and low and behold they have updates coming for free. Did they go into hiding like Hello Games did FOR MONTHS? So why are you so quick to write off Rare and so quick to think they are going to drop support? Oh that's right, because you never had any faith in the title before and you certainly have no faith in it now. Yet you're glued to the game like they owe you something even though you never invested anything but your endless amounts of free time here try desperately to turn everyone away.

I will say it again, if your problem with the game is it's linked to Microsoft then take your baggage somewhere else because there is no other reason anyone would be this adamant about a title they seem to have no interest in to keep talking about.
Everyone should remain skeptical because a lot of people felt like they got ripped off. Did you not actually read reviews or watch feedback? We don't owe a game company anything until they deliver, and Rare hasn't delivered. Rare hasn't even made a non-Kinect game (KI doesn't count as its developed by other studios). This is their first legitimate big release since a decade ago with Banjo-Kazooie, and for me and many other people, they fell flat on their face with this launch.

Tell me, what exactly did Rare show you that made you put so much faith in them? All you're doing is just talking about me and nothing good about the game like a lot of people in this thread who hasn't actually defended against any criticisms put on this game.

To reiterate (timestamped when played):

Inb4 Angry Joe's opinion doesn't matter.

Depends on the person. Doesnt mean anything to me.

In terms of what they showed me to put so much faith in them...they showed me the same as everyone else plus 300+hrs of the game under my belt. Never expected to anything close to Witcher sized content. I knew what I was getting into, fantastic base with room to grow at a steady pace (currently avg 1 large content drop every two months with weekly events in between) some people just seem to buy games blind...which I mean you do you, just dont go saying you were hurt when you didnt even know what it was you were getting into.

WaterAstro

Depends on the person. Doesnt mean anything to me.

In terms of what they showed me to put so much faith in them...they showed me the same as everyone else plus 300+hrs of the game under my belt. Never expected to anything close to Witcher sized content. I knew what I was getting into, fantastic base with room to grow at a steady pace (currently avg 1 large content drop every two months with weekly events in between) some people just seem to buy games blind...which I mean you do you, just dont go saying you were hurt when you didnt even know what it was you were getting into.
Haha, well I knew what people were getting into, so that's why I haven't bought the game. I didn't get ripped off.

What I'm doing in this thread is informing people of what they can expect by showing them player and reviewer feedback. I'm reiterating what they are saying, which is exactly the same analysis I have of the game by watching streams.

If you enjoy endlessly grinding three different quests, then good for you. You have to admit that it's not for everyone as top streamers have shown to be tired of the game after a day. Also, the player base is largely dependent on Game Pass, and probably the 14-day game pass trial. Hard to say if there is a fantastic base at this point now that the trial period has ended. We certainly won't know how many players are still playing.

Haha, well I knew what people were getting into, so that's why I haven't bought the game. I didn't get ripped off.

What I'm doing in this thread is informing people of what they can expect by showing them player and reviewer feedback. I'm reiterating what they are saying, which is exactly the same analysis I have of the game by watching streams.

If you enjoy endlessly grinding three different quests, then good for you. You have to admit that it's not for everyone as top streamers have shown to be tired of the game after a day. Also, the player base is largely dependent on Game Pass, and probably the 14-day game pass trial. Hard to say if there is a fantastic base at this point now that the trial period has ended. We certainly won't know how many players are still playing.

What I meant as base was the groundwork for the game itself and nothing to do with other players.

A lot of those 300hrs was back when all we had was "gold hoarders" (thats not even what they were called lol), guns and 1 ship. The moment to moment gameplay and the fun players make together is the highlight for me. Hell honestly that alpha would have been my goty with the amount of fun I had.

Now its out and im sitting at 300+hrs played with 31/30/27 and wanting to play more but my god the backlog needs to be killed and GoW comes out next week so its going to be put on hold for now. Probably go back after that which hopefully is in time for the update next month. This game was never for everyone and never will be even when the last update in its life cycle drops. Totally love the comparison of Sea of Thieves to a DD style board game instead of a "Assassins Creed" if you will.

WaterAstro

What I meant as base was the groundwork for the game itself and nothing to do with other players.

A lot of those 300hrs was back when all we had was "gold hoarders" (thats not even what they were called lol), guns and 1 ship. The moment to moment gameplay and the fun players make together is the highlight for me. Hell honestly that alpha would have been my goty with the amount of fun I had.

Now its out and im sitting at 300+hrs played with 31/30/27 and wanting to play more but my god the backlog needs to be killed and GoW comes out next week so its going to be put on hold for now. Probably go back after that which hopefully is in time for the update next month. This game was never for everyone and never will be even when the last update in its life cycle drops. Totally love the comparison of Sea of Thieves to a DD style board game instead of a "Assassins Creed" if you will.
The base is... okay. The ship combat is pretty good, but the player combat is very shallow. You're just kind of strafing to dodge shots, and whoever gets hits in first will win. There's also the problem of not enough penalty for death, so you just keep coming back to attack. I watched a stream where they were attacked by the same crew four times after sinking their ship over and over while they were doing the skeleton horde event. There's no penalty for the people who lost, so they can keep coming back since they spawn at the nearest outpost.

The lack of content aside, the game still has some fundamental design issues, but it's not too bad. I compare it more to DayZ where the fun comes from random PVP events. They should really add more features to support PVP, like capturing other players, and making walk the plank actually a thing.

Everyone should remain skeptical because a lot of people felt like they got ripped off. Did you not actually read reviews or watch feedback? We don't owe a game company anything until they deliver, and Rare hasn't delivered. Rare hasn't even made a non-Kinect game (KI doesn't count as its developed by other studios). This is their first legitimate big release since a decade ago with Banjo-Kazooie, and for me and many other people, they fell flat on their face with this launch.

Tell me, what exactly did Rare show you that made you put so much faith in them? All you're doing is just talking about me and nothing good about the game like a lot of people in this thread who hasn't actually defended against any criticisms put on this game.

See, we have actual reviewers out there, we don't need you to tell us since you never played the game. They have credit, you don't. It's as simple as that. Does Angry Joe go to the forums every day and go into every thread like you do? That's the difference, you are going out of your way repeating yourself. At what point do you admit you're going overboard here? What I am doing is informing you that Rare is not taking the same approach as Hello Games did. They are not going into hiding, they are not avoiding interviews. Rare is staying engaged but you don't want to admit that.

I am happy this game is getting flack and real reviewers out there that have some credit like Angry Joe let it be known Rare can do better. That's a stark contrast to your trolling efforts. See, they can offer constructive criticism and they don't want the game to fail, they just want a better game. No Man's Sky got better but you are unwilling to give Rare the same leeway, almost as though it's become personal with you and it shows because you won't pull yourself away. Angry Joe is likely playing something else, so what's your problem?

BionicRoo

Sea of Thieves is about to get bigger! Rare reveals updates that offer new enemies, ships and places to explore: https://news.microsoft.com/en-gb/20...ies-ships-and-places-to-explore-rare-reveals/

3375975-sea-of-thieves-storm-art.jpg

VAL0R

Banned
Pro Tip: Assign key equipment to the controller!

My set-up:
d-pad up: spyglass
d-pad down: shovel
d-pad left: compass
d-pad right: emote (dance, etc.)
Click right thumbstick: banana (now I can grab bananas instantly in the heat of combat without messing with a clunky wheel select)

The only function I lost was the text dialogue wheel, which I don't use because I have a headset.

Havoc2049

That is a sweet set-up, will have to check it out. I've been using bumper jumper, so I can hop around and circle strafe like a crazy man in hand to hand combat.

I recently hit legend and level 6 in Athena, addicted would be the word to describe it. God of war and far cry 5 are still unopened since launch! I’m equal parts buzzing and worried for hungering deep next Tuesday. this game has broken as a result of every patch since launch, I still don’t have faith in rare to deliver content without setting fire to everything yet :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom