• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves (XB1/PC) Gameplay Reveal - Xbox E3 2016

I really liked the gameplay and it looks like it could be really fun. Didn't really like the 'fan' aspect of the trailer, but ignoring that the tech looks really impressive and I really love the style and setting.

RoKKeR

Game looks really fun, love the style and attitude of it all. I just hope there is enough incentive to spend time in that world, rather than roaming around aimlessly in your ship.

Seems like it's still a ways off.

Would anyone who's played the game mind commenting on how well it would work with a boat of random players, with no mics?

Team-based games are awesome when you have a pre-made team...matchmaking and LFG can be a real pain and/or amazing - the variability can be very high - especially as the team size gets bigger.

Ricker

Game looks really fun, love the style and attitude of it all. I just hope there is enough incentive to spend time in that world, rather than roaming around aimlessly in your ship.

Seems like it's still a ways off.

Yeah,MMO take longer but it looks like a ton of fun,looking forward to it...we should get ''normal'' gameplay impressions all week from IGN and the like as well...

Tntnico

This game looks so so so great ! The gameplay demo was very cool ! Good to see Amir having fun with other Rare fans :D

My friends and I were laughing when looking at this. We can't wait to play this !

Looked sort of pointless to me. And having those actors paid to scream like they were having a blast was just too much for me.

You're free to believe what you want, but the game looks fun and I don't think they were actors. I don't have any warmth for the way MS has handled Rare, but this game looks like it could be really great and I'm glad they're getting the chance to stretch their legs with something new.

My fear of open water was probably going to keep me far away from this anyways. That scene after the ship sinks had me taking a break to breath.

The physics look amazing; I loved the bit when the ship was sinking.

I really like what I saw in the player-driven pace and teamwork necessary to operate and maintain the ship. Should be a fucking blast with a party of friends taking on other parties on the sea, which I assume will be a perfect setting to allow background matching and endless islands to explore. Only thing that sucks is that it's looking like 2017. Still, I do wish they showed off a little combat and island exploration, but I'm guessing Gamescom is the place for that and Crackdown 3 now.

egruntz

shelaughz
What's the incentive?

Like it'd be super fun to run a pirate crew with your friends...but I really hope the game is much more than all that we saw.

That said the battle segment looks awesome.

Show me more island exploration and looting...sense of progression...etc.

And then I'll be SUPER interested.

What's the incentive?

Like it'd be super fun to run a pirate crew with your friends...but I really hope the game is much more than all that we saw.

That said the battle segment looks awesome.

Show me more island exploration and looting...sense of progression...etc.

And then I'll be SUPER interested.

Well, successfully looting/stealing treasure and gold to spend in towns for cosmetic, ship, and gear upgrades, for one. Just like nearly every other game, but there's still room for them to stitch in vast mysteries to find more epic locations with bigger prizes and more challenge. I'm sure this game will feature more of a traditional structure to opt in with, but I assume that's left to be talked about and shown closer to release.

Can you even play this game solo (or with ai) , I very rarely coop but this does look like a cool pirate game .

Also does everyone get access to a pirate ship? Would live to know how that all works .

Love the idea of exploring underwater etc

Gestault

There's no guarantee of how this particular game ends up, but I sort of make a dismissive face when I see the "what's the point" complaint about the freeform game design they've shown. Recent industry success stories have proven how engaging multiplayer emergent/system-based games can be in the current landscape. A lot of people want well-made games in that style. I notice the same "concern" with No Man's Sky, and it kills me.

Can you even play this game solo (or with ai) , I very rarely coop but this does look like a cool pirate game .

Also does everyone get access to a pirate ship? Would live to know how that all works .

Love the idea of exploring underwater etc

If i remember correctly, they have said in the past yes you can play it solo, though we will have to see how that works with the ships

Exactly that. I was hoping for exploration on your own, quests, sailing, visiting little towns, talking to NPCs. Seems like it really won't be that at all. Which is such a shame cause i love the art style, looks great.

Too early to say none of that is in there. Watch the cinematic trailer again, because my understanding is everything in that is at least planned to be part of the game. They've already said you can go off on your own as well.

KodiakGT

It looks like the core ship mechanics are definitely fun, just a matter of if they can nail all the progression stuff to make it consistently rewarding.

Looked sort of pointless to me. And having those actors paid to scream like they were having a blast was just too much for me.

My fear of open water was probably going to keep me far away from this anyways. That scene after the ship sinks had me taking a break to breath.
Paid to scream...actors...lmao.

Some people sure make online forums laughable.

"Hey someone looks like they are having fun, musta been paid!"

Guess what? I played the game last night and me and 4 other random people were talking on the mic and laughing our asses off. I had a blast.

But hey, they must have slipped me $50 afterwards as I wiped the fake smile off my face.

alouette

Absolutely enjoyed the demo as shown at MS E3 briefing. Can you really be left behind on an island and "stay alive on your own", till you've been rescued? That would be pretty cool imho, as I've seen those things in space rpg only, till today.

Sea of Thieves looks like it has a lot of potential, but Ryan M. is not who you want to look towards for a fair and unbiased assessment of Xbox games. He really enjoyed Titanfall too.

This is Microsoft’s killer app. You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should. Sure, you’d have a good time with it on PC if you’ve got a capable rig, but your couch and the Xbox Live community will be the ecosystem it’s best enjoyed in. It likely won’t decimate Call of Duty’s market share anytime soon – particularly since it’s a platform exclusive – but once Titanfall releases this spring, I guarantee you that word will spread amongst the hardcore CoD community. “Have you seen Titanfall?” they’ll say. And little by little – or maybe in droves, who knows? – they will flock to Titanfall, and they will never go back. Not after this. Titanfall is the next great evolution of the twitch-action first-person shooter. Believe the hype.
Believe the hype. Indeed.

Sea of Thieves looks like it has a lot of potential, but Ryan M. is not who you want to look towards for a fair and unbiased assessment of Xbox games. He really enjoyed Titanfall too.

I mean all hyperbole of it spreading like wildfire aside, I think the general consensus is that people enjoyed Titanfall. Myself included.

The_Lump

Banned

Sorry to burst rebuild your bubble there fella, but they weren't actors...

They didn't tell us anything. Legit nothing. Not what to expect or how to react. We were lead into a booth with the game and as soon as the TV turned on the magic started.

This. Rare never at anytime told us how we should be reacting or anything. They put a controller in our hands, we waiting for their go ahead to start, and off we went on our pirating ways. The reactions were legit because we were seriusly having a blast playing the game.

Sometimes the world is a nice place full of fun things. Let yourself enjoy it once in a while.

Tawpgun

Easily my game of the conference.

While it would have been fun regardless, the built in Xbone clubs and LFG app will make this game really shine.

MLCodest

I'm really interested in this because it just looks fun. I didn't like the trailer at all, but the gameplay looks interesting and the game is beautiful.

Valahart

People ganging up on my comment as if payed actors are so uncommon to promote a game. Like, wth guys.

I'm already convinced there wasn't any of these shady strategies in this case, but excuse me for being a little skeptical at first. It just didn't seem to be as fun as they were expressing.

Raiden

Banned
The thought of you being stuck on a sinking ship trying to repair and fight your way to survival with other people sounds really exciting and fun! Will def check this out.

Chris1

Paid to scream...actors...lmao.

Some people sure make online forums laughable.

"Hey someone looks like they are having fun, musta been paid!"

Guess what? I played the game last night and me and 4 other random people were talking on the mic and laughing our asses off. I had a blast.

But hey, they must have slipped me $50 afterwards as I wiped the fake smile off my face.
Really cool you got to play it.

What was your expectations before hand & did it meet them or surpass? Since you're obviously a big Rare fan (your name) would love to hear further impressions from you!

Haven't seen a single person who played it say anything bad about it still, everything seems positive. I said it a few month ago this game smells of The Division all over again. Nobody really caring about it until the beta which makes it blow up, and so far it's looking that way.

Except for the 360 launch, Rare titles were always cheap on price. I remember getting Viva Pinata:TiP and Banjo Nuts and Bolts day one for $40.

Titanfall gave a boost to X1 sales so obviouisly lots of folks agreed with him. And are you seriously indicting him for liking Titfall?! That game is fantastic...

zorbsie

Wondering on the price too. 40 Canadian is a great price, but I want this digitally. Don't want to miss out on half priced game though.

The game reveal was great. Watched it with a bunch of friends. We all rolled our eyes when we heard the commentary. But after a few moments we were are smiling. By the end we were talking about how cool it would be to cruise around on our own ship.

Top Bottom