• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves (XB1/PC) Gameplay Reveal - Xbox E3 2016

JaggedSac

Watched the giant bomb stream of this a little earlier and the Sea of Thieves part didn't come off early as bad as watching it live. Game looks fantastic and can't wait to find out the moment to moment flow.

Durock

They didn't tell us anything. Legit nothing. Not what to expect or how to react. We were lead into a booth with the game and as soon as the TV turned on the magic started.

This. Rare never at anytime told us how we should be reacting or anything. They put a controller in our hands, we waiting for their go ahead to start, and off we went on our pirating ways. The reactions were legit because we were seriusly having a blast playing the game.

I thought the reactions were hilarious. Just good ol fun experiencing a game for the first time. I would have reacted just the same as some of them. I want to see more non human enemies, though.

CCIE

Banned
Hate that this is first person view... and it doesn't seem to have much structure. Will be interesting to see how it does in the market

Valahart

Alright, good to know. Didn't know some of them were gaffers.

I'm not sorry for doubting the legitimacy of the reactions because you know, marketing, so I'm gonna say I even got a little upset how people acted like I was a douche for it.

SOR5

Just saw a bit more

Damn, this looks good, nice to see Rares efforts go into something productive again

Playing it again right now and I swear it looks even better than when we played 3 weeks ago! Wow! Lots of people playing with huge smiles on their face.

Xumbrega

Banned
Have we seen these artworks?

sot_port_overcast.jpg

sot_port_night.jpg

Yeah, I'm in love with this game. I don't know what it is, but I just want to buy it and go sail the sea.

I'm in need of some good pirate game.

glaurung

This was the biggest letdown of the MS press conference for me. The extended "frozen time" trailer was obnoxious and the game play in the end looked dull. Simply hammering shots at the enemies, no real feedback or interaction.

Must be an early video thing.

Did not really expected it to be like this. Was hoping for a RPG style game with quests and hand to hand combat as well and exploration. But right now it seems really focused on teamplay?

Mathieran

Banned
I thought this looked pretty, and the team based play looks like it could be fun if that's your kinda thing. It looks like there might not be much to offer for solo players though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
At work so watched it at work. Would love a game like this but more in depth and SP akin to the Wild Hunt. Or..

hqdefault.jpg

Osahi

Easy highlight of MS's E3 conference for me. Looks incredibly charming and fun.

I just wonder if it will be something for me, as I'm more of a singleplayer guy. To have the same kind of fun and teamwork you'll need to play with friends (mine don't really game, or have a PS4 + it is hard to meet up online, with work, kids, etc). Nobody talks to strangers these days online...

I hope this has a solid singleplayer part too, and easy ways to work together online without the need of headsets. Then Rare finally has a winner again.

Chris1

Did not really expected it to be like this. Was hoping for a RPG style game with quests and hand to hand combat as well and exploration. But right now it seems really focused on teamplay?
The big focus on teamplay is a major turn off for me.

I don't know what I expected..but it wasn't this. Hope they do a beta.

Seems to be garnering pretty positive feedback from those that have played it. I just need to see some gameplay of random people playing it.

Too soon to say that Rare are back?

They expect you to act like a pirate crew? Every player doing a job?

There will be a lot of sunken ships right at the coastline!

This game looks interesting and I'd love to have a while to play it and see what it's all about. I'm a little concerned that it may rely too heavily on teamwork and people playing online alone (requiring to find other players) will suffer the consequences. Online teamwork with strangers is always hit-and-miss haha

Still, the game looks great and I'm curious about it. If/when I pick up an Xbox One, Sea of Thieves is high on the list of games I'd buy.

jem0208

There's some depressingly negative people in here. I thought it looked absolutely fantastic. I love the art style, it looks gorgeous.

Peltz

This. Rare never at anytime told us how we should be reacting or anything. They put a controller in our hands, we waiting for their go ahead to start, and off we went on our pirating ways. The reactions were legit because we were seriusly having a blast playing the game.

Sounds like a fun game :)

Seems to be garnering pretty positive feedback from those that have played it. I just need to see some gameplay of random people playing it.

That's my only concern (I had the same for Fable Legends) - I don't want my gaming fun to be contingent on randoms.

Depends how it's priced though. e.g. Rocket League I normally only play with friends and it's brilliant, no reason why SoT shouldn't be the same (other than the amount of time needed for a few rounds of RL vs SoT - very different genres of course).

Vintage

Looks nice and fun, but..

..it looks just like a copy of Guns of Icarus/ Blackwake? I was expecting something original after the first reveal

I think it looks great and fun, but I wanted to see some land action, as well as some adventures beyond ship battles considering we already knew about that part.

Still looked great though. Day 1 buy for me. Just want to see more of it. Lets go Gamescom!

The big focus on teamplay is a major turn off for me.

I don't know what I expected..but it wasn't this. Hope they do a beta.

Exactly that. I was hoping for exploration on your own, quests, sailing, visiting little towns, talking to NPCs. Seems like it really won't be that at all. Which is such a shame cause i love the art style, looks great.

Chris1

Exactly that. I was hoping for exploration on your own, quests, sailing, visiting little towns, talking to NPCs. Seems like it really won't be that at all. Which is such a shame cause i love the art style, looks great.

Yep we're the exact same.

Regardless I'm gonna buy it anyways, to support Rare not making Kinect games and I don't think it looks terrible(I think it looks good, I just don't think it's for me)...It's just not what I thought it'd be. Maybe they'll tell us more about quests/missions and exploring. Or hopefully give us a beta cause I'd love to try it out.

There's some depressingly negative people in here. I thought it looked absolutely fantastic. I love the art style, it looks gorgeous.

Looks great to me.

The biggest hurdle for me is that my group of friends who would play this isn't enough to crew a ship.

I'm wondering how they will handle that, if there will be matchmaking or what.

yooo this looks fun. I feel like the community will be pretty silent on PC though :(

if there's a GAF group for this game I'm totally down. I've been begging for a pirate rpg like this for so long.

Is this game not crossplay though? In the 'Play Anywhere' trailer the woman is playing Sea Of Thieves on her living room Xbox, then she switches to playing with keyboard and mouse in her office and says something like 'Hey guys, I'm back'.

They didn't tell us anything. Legit nothing. Not what to expect or how to react. We were lead into a booth with the game and as soon as the TV turned on the magic started.

I loved your reactions it truly looked like you were all having a blast.
Can't wait to play this game.

Did we get a release date?

Trup1aya

It's always been billed as a shared-world experience like the Division or destiny... I imagine it will have quests, NPC's and such, and one can play alone, but it will be better with friends. What's a pirate without his crew.

Top Bottom