• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves (XB1/PC) Gameplay Reveal - Xbox E3 2016

Leflus

I'm happy for Rare, I really am.... but I can't help but feel disappointed that the game seems to be so centered around multiplayer. : /

SpaceWolf

Banned
I assure you that we were not faking it. I understand how it may come across that way, but it wasn't. It was legitimate expressions from us having a blast with the game. It's seriously a lot of fun!

Oh wow, were you one of the guys in the video? If so, I apologize for my slightly sniffy comment. Glad you had fun :)

MarkusRJR

I'm happy for Rare, I really am.... but I can't help but feel disappointed that the game seems to be so centered around multiplayer. : /
Yeah, my friends aren't into gaming so I won't have anyone to play with. Probably won't be able to play it, and I'm a huge Rare fan. :(

I'm so hyped about this game. I hope there will be tons of content.

I assure you that we were not faking it. I understand how it may come across that way, but it wasn't. It was legitimate expressions from us having a blast with the game. It's seriously a lot of fun!

Ok. Seems I was wrong about the game then.

I maintain that this was not a good way to show off the game

Maybe this is why it felt off for me. I'm not really into multiplayer games and the vibe they were going for with this presentation was "look how fun this will be to play with your mates" which is not really for me.

DavidDesu

Will people quit the second you look like you're getting beaten during an attack??

(Like in Rocket League.. I've literally gone 1-0 down in the first ten seconds and my team mate has wanted to forefeit... fucking online..)

Havik

I can imagine if you are invited to visit the devs and play a game you are really looking forward too you are a little more hyped then usual :)

I liked what they showed but i wished they showed some more things to do in a shizzle reel or something

Kinsei

Banned
Will people quit the second you look like you're getting beaten during an attack??

(Like in Rocket League.. I've literally gone 1-0 down in the first ten seconds and my team mate has wanted to forefeit... fucking online..)

Well when they reloaded the game they would either A) be on the sinking ship or B) back in town having lost everything that was on the ship. I don't think people will pull the plug.

This looks and plays exactly like I hoped it would. Cannot wait to set sail on the open water and hunt for buried treasure with a few friends on board :)

Exile20

Just realized do we not have a release date?
Doesn't seem so and we got no real info except some random people playing the game. A whole year and we still know nothing much.

Would have love a a proper presentation explaining the main features.

I hope they are putting in good ways to communicate other than voice because this game will fail hard if voice chat is the only way to really communicate.

The fan reactions were super annoying to me in the video (I muted it), but I do believe they were genuine in the same way that Let's Play commentary is genuine in games like GTA Online. People play those games and film themselves for their reactions to moments in the game, it's not for me and I don't do that stuff, but some people really like it.
100% not staged and not hyped up for the cameras. Can't say more because nda.

Is this the only game in the whole conference that didn't have a date/year attached to it? Seems odd.

I mean even the 2017 stuff (Scalebound, State of Decay, etc.) said 2017.

Yeah, my friends aren't into gaming so I won't have anyone to play with. Probably won't be able to play it, and I'm a huge Rare fan. :(
Why not just play with other GAFers who will be just as excited for the game? I'm sure there will be plenty of us here all over that game when it comes out, myself included.

Raitaro

This and the first person view are what are deflating my hype. Will try to keep an open mind but so far it seems the farthest from a game made for my interests.

BTM

I actually liked how they presented the gameplay demo. Seeing real fans' excitement while they play the game for the first time is a lot better than listening to somebody read a script while walking through the game.

Sydle

It looks like so much fun.

You know what else I loved when your patching your boat all up after the fight. That was just so cool.

Same here. I love playing supporting/medic roles, so I could see myself doing a lot of the maintenance on the boat.

The way the competition selected players for the show-off may explain why it came off as forced. The kind of people that would willingly take part in a game's marketing for the publisher for free would certainly be the kind of people that would overreact a bit like this. Throw in the fact that some may have a Youtube channel they want to take off (so they deliberately or not try to appear more interesting/PewDiePie-like), and that some are probably Xbox diehard super-fans and it explains why it came off the way it did.

But I’m just cranky and too old for this shit at 27 yo. For the people who love PewDiePie and similar content creators this is probably just the way to sell it. I’m just out of touch.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Umm...really not feeling it but seems many do. Take out the mics, and the commentary - as most play sessions will play out and you're left with?

No Battletoads smh. Rare has been out of the game for too long and it shows.

TheExodu5

Banned
This is likely to be my game of the show.

I envision embarking with a crew of friends, fighting other ships on the sea, landing on islands, gathering materials for survival and ship upgrades. Maybe this is not what it is, but this sounds like a novel take on the survival genre, mixed in with some bridge commander.

Nosgotham

The way the competition selected players for the show-off may explain why it came off as forced. The kind of people that would willingly take part in a game's marketing for the publisher for free would certainly be the kind of people that would overreact a bit like this. Throw in the fact that some may have a Youtube channel they want to take off (so they deliberately or not try to appear more interesting/PewDiePie-like), and that some are probably Xbox diehard super-fans and it explains why it came off the way it did.

But I’m just cranky and too old for this shit at 27 yo. For the people who love PewDiePie and similar content creators this is probably just the way to sell it. I’m just out of touch.

it doesnt feel like an over reaction to me, you dont get amped while playing games? like if your ship was sinking, you wouldnt be freaking out? i would. they just edited in the parts that looked like they were having the most fun. im sure they werent overly excited the entire time they were playing it

id much rather see this than some scripted shit like The Division debut. bleh

daTRUballin

It looks like so much fun.

Same here. I love playing supporting/medic roles, so I could see myself doing a lot of the maintenance on the boat.

So I'm assuming you didn't win the contest then. :p

Umm...really not feeling it but seems many do. Take out the mics, and the commentary - as most play sessions will play out and you're left with?

No Battletoads smh. Rare has been out of the game for too long and it shows.

Agreed.

I mean, Sea of Thieves looks fine. It's just disappointing that it was the only game Rare had to show this year. I feel like they should've shown another game alongside SoT.

Some impressions in here:

http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/index.php?showtopic=12230&view=findpost&p=439122

For those of you that think it looks boring, re-watch the "cinematic" trailer they showed right before.

What you saw in the gameplay trailer was essentially a "lite" version of the game running in Unreal Engine.

We also got to play a prototype build that had way more features, of which you're likely going to love. We aren't allowed to talk about those as there's no guarantee what will or won't make it into the final game. But rest assured, there's way, WAY more to this game than what you saw in the gameplay trailer. Like I can't stress that enough - they allude to most of it in the cinematic trailer.

At first (despite the tailor being cool), I was disappointing because I thought they were gonna leave without showing any gameplay, but what came next was great!

While my judgement is still out on the game, I think that this was a brilliant way to show the game to make it more appealing to a mass audience (using the gamers and commentary).

But so far it looks like it could be a ton of fun to play.
I just hope I can find some friends to join along!

Canon

Banned
Looks boring. No buzz. I predict it will bomb hard.

Seriously, why this? Why follow Rare Replay with something no one asked for or wanted? Why not throw us a goddamn bone with at least 1 sequel to Banjo or Conker before moving onto some risky new IP -- and I don't mean risky in gameplay, I mean risky as in taking the chance anyone will care about this type of thing...

Well, whatever. Hopefully in a couple years.

BTM

Looks boring. No buzz. I predict it will bomb hard.

Seriously, why this? Why follow Rare Replay with something no one asked for or wanted? Why not throw us a goddamn bone with at least 1 sequel to Banjo or Conker before moving onto some risky new IP -- and I don't mean risky in gameplay, I mean risky as in taking the chance anyone will care about this type of thing...

Well, whatever. Hopefully in a couple years.

A lot of people want a game like this.

Lee

This wasn't on my radar before but I loved what I saw and will definitely pick this up. Just finished reading We, The Drowned so maybe that has something to do with it.

Shin-chan

Love the art style and the game looks really interesting and fresh.

I wish for myself it didn't have such a focus on multiplayer but I can see why it is for the game it's trying to be.

It's really unique and hopefully gains a lot of traction and a nice following.

Also put me in with those wishing it wasn't first person. Third person with avatar customisation is much more fun than when you can't see them at all.

Top Bottom