• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SemiAccurate: Nintendo NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra-based Soc

LeleSocho

Banned
That's what graphics APIs do, they make it so the same code runs on hardware form various manufacturers. The differences would be performance based but those are handled holistically because the specs will be different but whether AMD or Nvidia or MediaTek makes your GPU, it doesn't matter from a code standpoint.

Let's make a practical example.
Nintendo makes a GCN/Polaris based hw and a Maxwell based one and want them to share the same software (games) so have also made an API that fits both therefore making it higher level. GCN/Polaris has good async compute performance and Maxwell does not, developers at this point can't make async compute heavy tasks because it would destroy the Maxwell performance, you can do the opposite point by using cuda cores optimized code for Maxwell not working well on AMD's architecture.
This not only goes against a well thought product that embraces the "shared high optimized software" philosophy Nintendo seems to have embraced but also goes against the whole idea of why a console exist compared to a pc which is optimization or to use a term that was in a couple of years ago "code to the metal".

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's tough to not get hyped a out this news when you what the Shield handheld offers for sib 200 bucks. Shit I think for the first time that the handheld could really somehow pull off current gen games.

I hope this is true.

So, is SemiAccurate... well... accurate? Can they be believed?

Also, what would this mean for the console if this is for the handheld? Weird as fuck that the handheld would aim to be a powerhouse and not the console, but I guess expectations are so different. The handheld would never be expected to compete with XB1 and PS4.

But also if Nvidia is making the handheld GPU(?), wouldn't that conflict with AMD doing the chip on the console if they want that similar architecture? Or does that not matter?

DonMigs85

So, is SemiAccurate... well... accurate? Can they be believed?

Also, what would this mean for the console if this is for the handheld? Weird as fuck that the handheld would aim to be a powerhouse and not the console, but I guess expectations are so different. The handheld would never be expected to compete with XB1 and PS4.

But also if Nvidia is making the handheld GPU(?), wouldn't that conflict with AMD doing the chip on the console if they want that similar architecture? Or does that not matter?

If the console uses an x86 CPU after all, that would definitely complicate things. It would be laughable if the games ran in Java virtual machines like Android or something.

Schnozberry

What, but if the handheld is tegra, it wouldnt make sense for the home console to be polaris if they are suppossed to be a family of devices.

Home console would also be Nvidia would be my guess, perhaps with a performance target that is a multiple of the handheld (double, triple maybe?) for scaling purposes.

Somnid

Let's make a practical example.
Nintendo makes a GCN/Polaris based hw and a Maxwell based one and want them to share the same software (games) and have made an API that fits both therefore making it higher level. GCN/Polaris has good async compute performance and Maxwell does not, developers at this point can't make async compute heavy tasks because it would destroy the Maxwell performance you can do the opposite point by using cuda cores optimized code.
This not only goes against a well thought product that embraces the "shared high optimized software" philosophy Nintendo seems to have embraced but also goes against the whole idea a console exist compared to a pc which is optimization or to use a term that was in a couple of years ago "code to the metal".

Practically, you scale up, not down. If the crux of your engine is async compute then you have resigned that it's not going to perform well on any mobile SoC at the moment. This is a performance thing, not a vendor thing. Usually you have multiple compile targets in this scenario because the assets and other pieces of code might change based on the target's performance. 3rd parties have been doing this since forever.

Nanashrew

Banned
I still don't see 720p. Battery usage would go up with how much is needed to render. PS Vita uses a 540p screen and games still look sharp and very clear. Rendering less meant they could put the graphical capabilities elsewhere. Also for the Vita TV, it scales things up from 540p to 1080i smoothly because it scales well to 1080i/p.

I see the same with Nintendo's next handheld but this time in native 540p as the tech for dedicated handhelds has gone down to support it better.

Atomski

The article is available to subscribers only, however the gist of it is this:

• [*]Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.

[*]Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.

• SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.
  • Not mentioned which generation of Tegra or process node will be used or when the handheld is scheduled for release.
  • No mention of the home console, but we can speculate what that might be and who might provide the chipset for that one.

http://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/12/guess-whos-silicon-is-in-nintendos-nx/

First two lines make me wana call bullshit right away. This sounds like some console lover fan fiction.. Nividia is doing better than AMD even with them having console deals. Why would there be a "get a console deal or go home"? when that hasn't been going so well for the competition? Im surprised it dosnt say Nividia was "salty".

Just stinks of BS.

pastrami

On a 128-bit bus you could achieve over 100GB/s with LPDDR4 @ 1600mhz. It's not GDDR5 but it doesn't need to be in order to be competitive.

Uh, am I missing something? How do you get 100GB/s from 1600mhz * 2 * 128-bit bus? Because by my calculation that would be just 51GB/s. Using the fastest LPDDR4 available now you could get 136GB/s on a 256-bit bus by my calculations (2133mhz * 2 * 256 bit bus).

EDIT: Revised numbers a little.

LeleSocho

Banned
Practically, you scale up, not down. If the crux of your engine is async compute then you have resigned that it's not going to perform well on any mobile SoC at the moment.
It was an example -_-

This is a performance thing, not a vendor thing. Usually you have multiple compile targets in this scenario because the assets and other pieces of code might change based on the target's performance. 3rd parties have been doing this since forever.
Exactly it's a architecture/performance thing not a vendor one which is why you would understand why making multiple compile targets and making it harder for the developers to optimize their code for hardware that are supposed to behave well to each other is so unfit for what nintendo is trying to do.

DonMigs85

Uh, am I missing something? How do you get 100GB/s from 1600mhz * 2 * 128-bit bus? Because by my calculation that would be just 48GB/s. Using the fastest LPDDR4 available now you could get 128GB/s on a 256-bit bus by my calculations (2133mhz * 2 * 256 bit bus).

Yeah, Xbox One gets 64GB/s on 2133MHz DDR3, 128-bit bus too

DonMigs85

I still don't see 720p. Battery usage would go up with how much is needed to render. PS Vita uses a 540p screen and games still look sharp and very clear. Rendering less meant they could put the graphical capabilities elsewhere. Also for the Vita TV, it scales things up from 540p to 1080i smoothly because it scales well to 1080i/p.

I see the same with Nintendo's next handheld but this time in native 540p as the tech for dedicated handhelds has gone down to support it better.

Heck we might get 800x480 going from 400x240 on 3DS

Schnozberry

Uh, am I missing something? How do you get 100GB/s from 1600mhz * 2 * 128-bit bus? Because by my calculation that would be just 48GB/s. Using the fastest LPDDR4 available now you could get 128GB/s on a 256-bit bus by my calculations (2133mhz * 2 * 256 bit bus).

You're correct. I was operating on bad information.

Arkam

Why would Nvidia made a deal at a loss?

Really depends what they mean by a "loss" if they just mean NET Loss it could still be very good for Nvida as a continual revenue source. Yea in they end they will not have made any money. But each quarter they will have revenue to be used to make money when a better investment does present its self.

But who knows (sides people making the deal)

Having a powerful Nintendo handheld that has a shared library with It's console brother, meaning all first party titles are playable on the handheld, would be like a dream come true.

Deadbeat

Banned
First two lines make me wana call bullshit right away. This sounds like some console lover fan fiction.. Nividia is doing better than AMD even with them having console deals. Why would there be a "get a console deal or go home"? when that hasn't been going so well for the competition? Im surprised it dosnt say Nividia was "salty".

Just stinks of BS.
The first line itself has already been ridiculed on this forum for the longest time.

WadeitOut

Having a powerful Nintendo handheld that has a shared library with It's console brother, meaning all first party titles are playable on the handheld, would be like a dream come true.

This is basically what I've wanted since Vita. To be able to take a non gimped version of the game with me on the go.

Now they just need a Pokemon game that can visually scale up to 1080p so you can also play it on your TV without being stabbed by jaggies.

Nanashrew

Banned

Just stinks of BS.

But let's turn this around. Why wouldn't Nvidia want to be everywhere?

Schnauzer

I don't know why, but I'm starting to get hyped for a Nintendo portable. I haven't been hyped for a portable device since the PSP.

bachikarn

Just stinks of BS.

I don't think it is that implausible. Some times executives are extremely competitive and they don't want to just concede future business to AMD forever.

Suddenly the codename "NX" would make more sense. NVidia X1.

But that's just me throwing some funny ideas in there...
TheTwilightZoneLogo.png

I wished these topics got more post. There's some great information and discussion here. It doesn't always have to be doom and gloom that sells.

antonz

I wished these topics got more post. There's some great information and discussion here. It doesn't always have to be doom and gloom that sells.

The reality is while Gaf is a game enthusiast website the majority of the posters have almost no tech comprehension. So its easier for them to run around screaming doom.

I mean half the posts in the other thread consists of basically "omg arm. its terrible and Nintendo am doomed." Nevermind the fact ARM CPU can be vastly superior to whats in the PS4/XBO

ThisGuy

So their next handheld will be a wii u? It just needs two thumb sticks and good software (lol they always deliver imo). So just two thumb sticks, fingers crossed.

Nanashrew

Banned
The reality is while Gaf is a game enthusiast website the majority of the posters have almost no tech comprehension. So its easier for them to run around screaming doom.

I mean half the posts in the other thread consists of basically "omg arm. its terrible and Nintendo am doomed." Nevermind the fact ARM CPU can be vastly superior to whats in the PS4/XBO

I also think many forget that they've been playing on ARM since the GBA and third parties have no issue with it. And with more standardized parts and ARM used just about everywhere these days, most if not all engines support ARM. There's little issue with engine support these days so long as the system is capable of supporting it.

For the handheld, I feel like they might try to get mobile UE4 support as Japan is moving more and more towards UE4 and Unity, so it makes sense for them.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
With this the 1280x720 hopes and dreams for the handheld might not be out of reach. Nvidia can deliver.

And the leak is all Nintendo's fault for keeping us all thirsty for a console/handheld that comes out within a year.

DonMigs85

Really depends what they mean by a "loss" if they just mean NET Loss it could still be very good for Nvida as a continual revenue source. Yea in they end they will not have made any money. But each quarter they will have revenue to be used to make money when a better investment does present its self.

But who knows (sides people making the deal)

It's a bit like that Atom deal Intel made with Chinese companies before.
Too bad Atom is dead now though.

Nanashrew

Banned
Why would nVidia not want too take a deal where theres razor thin profit margins so much so that AMD is still bleeding left, right, and center?

Probably not to always concede to AMD, I guess. But it might not even too bad since they're raking in so much that they could likely make the return back in other areas.

Astral Dog

And knowing Nintendo it's probably only gonna have a 720p screen at best, further reducing bandwidth demands.

it could even be lower (like the Vita) and still an enourmous jump in IQ from 3DS while freeing more bandwidth/resources for other purposes than Wii U, that sounds cool.

JJD

Just stinks of BS.

I hope the rumor is true just for the meltdowns. It would be epic.

Vena

it could even be lower (like the Vita) and still an enourmous jump in IQ from 3DS while freeing more bandwidth/resources for other purposes than Wii U, that sounds cool.

Vita can't even manage to run its games at native, anything would be better than that nonsense.

960x540, just below the Vita's odd 960x544 resolution (obviously meant to be 4x the PSP's 480x272... why again was it this?) would be very ideal.

720p on a small screen seems silly honestly, and the trade-off of allowing more graphical detail in games and maybe other extra features would be worth it.

I would think the screen will be smaller than the Vita's, and I find the resolution when native to be just fine on that.

Not to mention, even if Nintendo handhelds never see this (to my knowledge), if they went 720p, I have a feeling some will go non-native resolution like a lot of Vita games and honestly that looks much worse than a native lower resolution. 540p by now feels like it'd be a piece of cake for devs to have native resolution games.

And, games built for a prettier 540p handheld than a less pretty 720p handheld, would be a much better start for an NX console port in 1080p.

DonMigs85

960x540, just below the Vita's odd 960x544 resolution (obviously meant to be 4x the PSP's 480x272... why again was it this?) would be very ideal.

720p on a small screen seems silly honestly, and the trade-off of allowing more graphical detail in games and maybe other extra features would be worth it.

I would think the screen will be smaller than the Vita's, and I find the resolution when native to be just fine on that.

Not to mention, even if Nintendo handhelds never see this (to my knowledge), if they went 720p, I have a feeling some will go non-native resolution like a lot of Vita games and honestly that looks much worse than a native lower resolution. 540p by now feels like it'd be a piece of cake for devs to have native resolution games.

If it ends up backwards compatible with 3DS, I think 800x480 is really quite likely

Kathian

Banned
Should be pointed out the 3DS was using Nvidea tech as well. We'll see if they improve their relations to make it to market this time!

Are we back to NX being a hybrid?

Top Bottom