• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SemiAccurate: Nintendo NX handheld to use Nvidia Tegra-based Soc

If it ends up backwards compatible with 3DS, I think 800x480 is really quite likely

I've thought the same before, but I actually think Nintendo might just ditch BC from now on. It allows more to buy the previous systems, the BC would otherwise hold back the new system, and it gives incentive to buy remasters.

Also I kind of see the New 3DS as a definitive 3DS so that you pretty much get the best possible 3DS experience on it, to make up for no BC on the NX handheld.

Nemecyst

Really depends what they mean by a "loss" if they just mean NET Loss it could still be very good for Nvida as a continual revenue source. Yea in they end they will not have made any money. But each quarter they will have revenue to be used to make money when a better investment does present its self.

But who knows (sides people making the deal)

Does this rumor match up to anything you've seen or heard?

DonMigs85

I've thought the same before, but I actually think Nintendo might just ditch BC from now on. It allows more to buy the previous systems, the BC would otherwise hold back the new system, and it gives incentive to buy remasters.

Also I kind of see the New 3DS as a definitive 3DS so that you pretty much get the best possible 3DS experience on it, to make up for no BC on the NX handheld.

Actually that's what I think too, if NX really doesn't have 3DS BC or dual screens I'll probably upgrade my regular 3DS to a New 3DS.

Vena

Modern games scale to different resolutions easily on PC. 720p handheld and and 1080p wouldn't be a lot of work.

720p is a waste of battery power as it requires twice the pixel drive, and it does not provide an easily scaled multiplier to 1080p unless the screen is in a strange aspect ratio (540p is 1/4th of 1080p at standard 16:9, this is a happy scalable figure). Unless the handheld has a 7" screen, the pixels will be below the Rayleigh Criterion at 540p and arms reach.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Vita's was pretty good for what it was and shat all over the 3ds battery for whatever reason. You could play P4G for longer than you could play a damn DS game on 3ds for whatever stupid reason.

I was thinking this too. Maybe because it wasnt an almost decade old chip trying to run current level games. That and the Vita had a higher screen res shoulda meant worse battery life vs the 3DS.

The specs of the 3DS were wow in a bad way.

Vita standby time was nice too. 3DS surprised me here n there with standby times but the Vita was more consistent.

Peru

So, is SemiAccurate... well... accurate? Can they be believed?

Also, what would this mean for the console if this is for the handheld? Weird as fuck that the handheld would aim to be a powerhouse and not the console, but I guess expectations are so different. The handheld would never be expected to compete with XB1 and PS4.

But also if Nvidia is making the handheld GPU(?), wouldn't that conflict with AMD doing the chip on the console if they want that similar architecture? Or does that not matter?

Powerful handheld current gen console has been the speculation/wish of some of us who cling yo the idea that the nx will offer all the Nintendo games for both form factors.

I'm just glad we finally hear some concrete handheld rumours.

Well, if true that doesn't seem to help 3rd party support and it's kinda sad news for the home console derivative, but I am totally in a handheld with 10-20x the power of my Vita.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Vita's was pretty good for what it was and shat all over the 3ds battery for whatever reason. You could play P4G for longer than you could play a damn DS game on 3ds for whatever stupid reason.

How long can P4G be played? I've been playing a DS game on my n3DS XL (in pixel perfect mode if that matters) and I've been surprised at how long I've been able to play. Maybe the n3DS changed something with how DS games are handled or there's just a big battery difference between 3DS and n3DS XL, but I'd be very impressed if Vita could actually play a Vita game that long. I also play with WiFi off, but I figure most people do if they're trying to extend battery life for games that don't have online modes.

I'm hoping NX battery life is an improvement or no worse than n3DS XL, but I haven't heard of any crazy battery developments. Perhaps getting rid of the second screen would help.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Vena, they don't need it to scale nicely. You're most likely not going to plug in a handheld at 540p to your TV.

Edit: and thanks Antonz, I realized my mistake almost right away. I wasn't fast enough :p

DonMigs85

How long can P4G be played? I've been playing a DS game on my n3DS XL (in pixel perfect mode if that matters) and I've been surprised at how long I've been able to play. Maybe the n3DS changed something with how DS games are handled or there's just a big battery difference between 3DS and n3DS XL, but I'd be very impressed if Vita could actually play a Vita game that long.

n3DS might be using a smaller manufacturing node perhaps, or other tweaks were made.

beril

720p is a waste of battery power as it requires twice the pixel drive, and it does not provide an easily scaled multiplier to 1080p unless the screen is in a strange aspect ratio (540p is 1/4th of 1080p at standard 16:9, this is a happy scalable figure). Unless the handheld has a 7" screen, the pixels will be below the Rayleigh Criterion at 540p and arms reach.

720p is a waste yes. But there is really little to no benefit from having even scaling to 1080p. The speculation is that games are supposed to be easily ported or natively support both console/handheld; not that a console would run portable games upscaled.
Even then, even scaling mostly matters for pixel art. It could be 480p, 640p or any number. 480p would make more sense for nicely upscaled 3DS games

rekameohs

Banned

Nintendo might be able to whip up a 3DS emulator too, with a handheld as powerful as the rumors suggest.

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, if true that doesn't seem to help 3rd party support and it's kinda sad news for the home console derivative, but I am totally in a handheld with 10-20x the power of my Vita.

I'd say if it's powerful enough, it will support more modern engines. Many like UE4 can support consoles, PC, and mobile. We may not get much in the way of big western publisher support on handhelds but it does open more doors to others, especially indies.

I love how willingly people buy this stuff. Both this and Emilys rumours.

This Sounds more like a Fanboy wet Dream, and Emilys like a cynical Circle jerk.

I guess speculations are fun

antonz

This Sounds more like a Fanboy wet Dream, and Emilys like a cynical Circle jerk.

Nvidia has already tried before to get in with Nintendo on handhelds before so not that odd they might try again. The big difference now is Nvidia can actually deliver on performance/power. Tegra 2 was a disaster for that and Nintendo was forced to drop it.

Nintendo is reaching a power level where they need a good mobile GPU for a handheld. There are not exactly a million options out there. They almost have to go with Nvidia

mhayze

This is the Pascal-based Tegra architecture for Nvidia Drive PX2

Probably not outdated either, unlike Tegra Parker that was based on Maxwell. Nvidia could probably "Nv-Custom" anything they want for Nintendo, almost as easily as AMD does semi-custom.

Anyway, it would be extremely interesting if Nvidia got the Nintendo handheld GPU deal and AMD got the Nintendo home console GPU deal.

Or Nvidia got both. Or this is all BS. Or Nvidia lost *again* and AMD is getting everything.

or Imagination Technologies swooped in with PowerVR and steals a deal or every deal. I think they're in every iOS device ever made, not to mention some of the other mobiles

Very unlikely to have an AMD-Nvidia split on the portable vs home console. The ARM SOCs from each are very different - and the GPU architectures are even more different. If the NX has a distributed computation architecture as speculated, or even applying common sense this seems unlikely. If x86 is ruled out, I just can't imagine it being an AMD deal, Nvidia is far far ahead in the ARM SOC game for something like a console.

sfried

Which begs the question: Why do we even post these rumor threads?
Cartridge as media format. Doomed.

Region Free. Fake as fuck.
I'm starting to think GAF just wants to believe what they want to believe.

Nvidia has already tried before to get in with Nintendo on handhelds before so not that odd they might try again. The big difference now is Nvidia can actually deliver on performance/power. Tegra 2 was a disaster for that and Nintendo was forced to drop it.

Nintendo is reaching a power level where they need a good mobile GPU for a handheld. There are not exactly a million options out there. They almost have to go with Nvidia
Whenever you think something is too logical you probably should be wary as it's Probe to confirmation bias. This goes for both positive and negative rumours.

NVIDIA would have to really get out of their way to be able to provide hardware with a price that Nintendo would be willing to pay.
Nvidia always sells at Premium and seen how the Handheld Market is shrinking I am not inclined to believe that they'd be willing to cut their margins for a foothold in a shrinking Market.
That's why I call this BS

sfried

I still find it hard to beleive nVidia still wants to be part of the console manufacturer race, abeit even if they won't be exactly joining the console spectrum of things.

I like this NX thread alot more than that other one..

Interesting enough, I don't recall anyone mentioning Nvidia as an possible option for the NX up until now. It would be cool to see Nintendo and Nvidia reconciling after the 3DS issue.

roytheone

Finally some handheld rumors! And they sound very promising! I wonder if the handheld will be able to run Zelda U natively, what I know about Tegra points to it being at least on par with the wiiU power wise, and with the lower res required thanks to a smaller screen, I could see it being possible.

wildfire

Banned
The OP doesn't make entirely clear whether the author of the SemiAccurate article is speculating on any of these points, or if some of the details are effectively confirmed by outside sources. Seems a little pointless to make a judgment without knowing how much confidence the author has in this information.

Their news is behind a paywall. A paywall that costs $100 for verified students and $1000 for everyone else yearly. They aren't going to bring up news they don't have confidence in.

I like this NX thread alot more than that other one..

Interesting enough, I don't recall anyone mentioning Nvidia as an possible option for the NX up until now. It would be cool to see Nintendo and Nvidia reconciling after the 3DS issue.
Unless NVIDIA stopped being NVIDIA or Nintendo stopped caring about Profit margins on Hardware this rumours is completely ludicrous.

AgeEighty

People tend to think of these companies behaving toward each other the way individual people do, falling in love or getting angry and nursing grudges, but that's not really the way it is. Especially in a case like this where the number of companies that Nintendo could partner with for something like this is pretty limited.

sfried

Unless NVIDIA stopped being NVIDIA or Nintendo stopped caring about Profit margins on Hardware this rumours is completely ludicrous.
It's the idea of them stooping so low to take losses is what I find ridiculous. That and Nintendo would probably want to have 3DS backwards compatibility of some sort.

audio_delay

Neo Member
NVIDIA would have to really get out of their way to be able to provide hardware with a price that Nintendo would be willing to pay.
Nvidia always sells at Premium and seen how the Handheld Market is shrinking I am not inclined to believe that they'd be willing to cut their margins for a foothold in a shrinking Market.
That's why I call this BS

But there is a difference this time. Nvidia has its own console and handheld shield products. Maybe they realsied that they have been overcharging their partners in the past.
But saying that, nvidia have been builing the shield brand over the last few year, i cannot see them doing any deals with any of the console makers.

Very interesting stuff.All taken with a pinch of salt of course,but nice to hear the first proper rumour regarding the handheld,and if true of course,sounds pretty powerful

spekkeh

Banned
People tend to think of these companies behaving toward each other the way individual people do, falling in love or getting angry and nursing grudges, but that's not really the way it is. Especially in a case like this where the number of companies that Nintendo could partner with for something like this is pretty limited.
I don't know how much you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it.

What I'm saying is, Nvidia had to publicly apologize, or kiss their business goodbye.

It's the idea of them stooping so low to take losses is what I find ridiculous. That and Nintendo would probably want to have 3DS backwards compatibility of some sort.

Nvidia uses ARMs too, though being BC with the PICA200 GPU in the 3DS could be an issue with any vendor.

sfried

But there is a difference this time. Nvidia has its own console and handheld shield products. Maybe they realsied that they have been overcharging their partners in the past.
But saying that, nvidia have been builing the shield brand over the last few year, i cannot see them doing any deals with any of the console makers.

That still doesn't make sense, considering SHEILD is still being supported on the market.

sfried

Nvidia uses ARMs too, though being BC with the PICA200 GPU in the 3DS could be an issue with any vendor.
Like I mentioned, that part had some specific PICA200 chip instructions, and not to mention emulating those fixed shader performance levels.

I still find it hard to beleive nVidia still wants to be part of the console manufacturer race, abeit even if they won't be exactly joining the console spectrum of things.

Errr....

shields.jpg

MuchoMalo

Banned
First two lines make me wana call bullshit right away. This sounds like some console lover fan fiction.. Nividia is doing better than AMD even with them having console deals. Why would there be a "get a console deal or go home"? when that hasn't been going so well for the competition? Im surprised it dosnt say Nividia was "salty".

Just stinks of BS.

Yeah, about that... It should be noted that the person who runs this website is notorious for being an AMD fanboy. It's possible that what's been posted here is just him speculating. And I don't just mean the bolded part; I mean the entire topic.

Yeah, about that... It should be noted that the person who runs this website is notorious for being an AMD fanboy. It's possible that what's been posted here is just him speculating. And I don't just mean the bolded part; I mean the entire topic.
A pure speculating article inside a pay wall would be lame.

In either case, that should be easy to clear up. They may clarify that if someone contacts them.

The_Lump

Banned
...what if Emily was inadvertently talking about the handheld, not the console? That's why her source is saying "closer the XBone than PS4" and conforming it definitely ain't using Polaris ;)

Monster handheld confirmed.

MuchoMalo

Banned
A pure speculating article inside a pay wall would be lame.

In either case, that should be easy to clear up. They may clarify that if someone contacts them.

He usually paywalls stuff like this, while news is free. So yeah, I'm gonna go with speculation here.

Chobel

Though Nvidia downplayed console margins, their pride was hurt by the loss in console contracts. All the talk about "focusing on Shield" was a cover for the fact that MS and Sony had soured on them and would not enter negotiations.
Nvidia team was told to get a console win or "go home." Enter Nintendo, who apparently made off very well in this deal. This to the point that SemiAccurate questions whether this is a "win" at all for Nvidia.
SA has heard that Nvidia are promising software, support, and the whole shebang at a very low cost. According to one source, Nvidia may even be taking a loss on this deal.

Calling bullshit on this.

Top Bottom