• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

itxaka

Defeatist
Xbox 360: 483,989 Units (Up 37% Year Over Year)
DS: 403,000 Units (Down 23% Year Over Year)
New! PS3: 312,000 Units (Down 37% Year Over Year)
Wii: 254,000 Units (Down 45% Year Over Year)

Coincidence? I think NOT!

The tide is turning, it starts today in the US!

Something something.

So now being serious. WTF is wrong with the ps3? Is there something I missed? A 40% down YoY is quite a lot. Was last year the Slim launch or something?

itxaka said:
Coincidence? I think NOT!

The tide is turning, it starts today in the US!

Something something.

So now being serious. WTF is wrong with the ps3? Is there something I missed? A 40% down YoY is quite a lot. Was last year the Slim launch or something?
Yes as well as price drop to $299.

Curufinwe

MS including wireless in the new 360 was what finally made me get one just last month. A wired internet connection was not practical in my house, and there was no way I was going to pay for the overpriced adapter.

I only got a PS3 in September last year when the Slim was released. Dell was selling them for only $255 for a short while.

knitoe

dolemite said:
And a little something called Halo Reach.
You miss the 3 months before Reach.

Anyway, Microsft as proven all the people, including me, wrong in saying they need a price drop after Sony had theirs.

seady

With Gran Turismo delayed, does Sony even have a single exclusive game for this holiday? No Killzone, no LBP, no nothing.

shwimpy

seady said:
With Gran Turismo delayed, does Sony even have a single exclusive game for this holiday? No Killzone, no LBP, no nothing.

GT5. There's no way it gets pushed to next year... riiiiight Sony?!

Just release it in December where game releases are completely barren.

Zoe

seady said:

Supposedly GT is still coming this holiday.

Majine

Banned
Wii outsold by 360 this year in the US, outsold by PS3 this year in Japan. Hope this soon triggers new Nintendo console reveal. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

seady

The Faceless Master said:
they have that fight club game for Move.

Not counting the Moves because no one cares, the last exclusive PS3 game was God of War 3 and Yakuza 3 back in March. And now there is nothing this holiday. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. And people are saying the Wii has no games.

Corto

seady said:

It won't make any ripples as far as hardware sales go but Sly Collection is coming out.

itxaka

Defeatist
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
It's the bestselling home console for the fourth month in a row, though.

Slim factor doing wonders.

Maybe the slim erased all the "80% failure rate" rumors of the 360? Becasue is not like the slim is really much slimmer or different than the normal one.

Majine said:
Hope this soon triggers new Nintendo console reveal. Can't wait to see where they go from here.

Pretty much. I'm very interested to see where they go with the next console. I have a feeling that they are going to turn a 180 with their next console, which means they probably won't. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure I get the calls for a PS3 price cut. Well, I suppose it depends on your expectations for it, but as it is right now it's had a fairly 'normal' September and still enjoying a significant boost compared to pre-slim/299 numbers. If they've decent global demand, if they're confident of meeting their target for the year, I'm not sure why they'd cut price. They probably simply wouldn't have the stock to take advantage of that.

Next year is time enough for a price cut.

itxaka said:
Slim factor doing wonders.

Maybe the slim erased all the "80% failure rate" rumors of the 360? Becasue is not like the slim is really much slimmer or different than the normal one.

Built-in WiFi, bigger hard drive and, yes, more reliable. The 360 sales in NA were decent even before the Slim (above the PS3 for the whole year), this just gave it an additional push.

gcubed

knitoe said:
Micheal Pachter estimated 300K for Move. Unless, Europe sold 5X more (1.5 mil), Sony did lump Move, Nav, and probably Eye into one number. Without solid figures, Sony back to their old self again.

in what world would you think they would lump sales of the eye into the number? In what world would people be buying standalone eyes? Or are you trying to say a bundle counts as 2 because it has one eye and one move controller? because that would be stupid

m.i.s.

Banned
apana said:
Metroid went in a strange direction, I'm not too surprised that people didnt respond. This would have been the perfect time for a classic 2d Metroid, but Nintendo got careless.

After seeing launches (or about to launch) of NSMB Wii, DKCR, Kirby Wii, Super Mario All-Stars Wii I would have to agree.

Would've been perfect to see, say, Zero Mission on Wii expanded in the same way NSMB Wii was from the DS version.

In a month that sees a major Halo release, is 483k all that impressive when you add in the momentum that the slim has already given it?

What were the 360's numbers when Halo 3 released?

EDIT: And even ODST's month..

gcubed

Patriotsbball5460 said:
In a month that sees a major Halo release, is 483k all that impressive when you add in the momentum that the slim has already given it?

What were the 360's numbers when Halo 3 released?

Considering its what? the 3rd halo release on the platform, i'd say it is. There has to be a point of diminishing returns on a franchise's system selling power

seady

MirageDwarf said:
GH:WoR - 86,000 on all platforms. :lol

At this point, Activision is pretty much banking the ignorance of retailers and dumb businesses out there who still think Guitar Hero is the "biggest thing" in gaming. Because I still see a ton of giant-sized bundles in many stores that no one buys.

I don't know if the retailers can return their stock, or what the return fee is from Activision, but I assume this is mostly how Activision get their money earned from Guitar Hero :lol

You have to wonder who, at this point, will still buy these bundles if they didn't care to play it in the last 5 years, or would buy it if they care about the series but owned the instruments already.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Built-in WiFi, bigger hard drive and, yes, more reliable. The 360 sales in NA were decent even before the Slim (above the PS3 for the whole year), this just gave it an additional push.
Shitload quieter too... which will be the reason I eventually upgrade to one. :lol

Marcos

by my calculator

360: 342m
wii: 90m
PS3: 104m

en 2009:

360: 257m
wii: 145m
PS3: 123m

DS from 83m to 52m

all adds 342+90+104+52 = 588

total is 614 so PSP it counts 26m

knitoe

gcubed said:
in what world would you think they would lump sales of the eye into the number? In what world would people be buying standalone eyes? Or are you trying to say a bundle counts as 2 because it has one eye and one move controller? because that would be stupid
The number of people buying just the Eye only are probably tiny, but it does add to the number if they are included. As to Sony adding individual parts in bundles, we don't know without Sony giving us real numbers, but something is going on. Find it hard to believe Europe moved 5X more than NA.

Okay, so...

September 2007:

360: 527.8k
Halo 3: 3.3 million

September 2009:

360: 352.6k
Halo: ODST: 1.52 million

September 2010:

360: 483.9k
Halo: Reach: 3.3 million

I am actually pretty surprised about the sustained sales between Halo 3 and Reach. Even though there is a much larger install base, 3.3 million is still nothing to scoff at

knitoe said:
The number of people buying just the Eye only are probably tiny, but it does add to the number if they are included. As to Sony adding individual parts in bundles, we don't know without Sony giving us real numbers, but something is going on. Find it hard to believe Europe moved 5X more than NA.

Europe was the life behind the Eye Toy. They are much bigger on the "social and casual" experiences than here. Sony has had a lot of success with Singstar and Buzz! over there while the reception in the US was much more stagnant. I dont find it extremely hard to believe those numbers just because the umbrella of SCEE is so large and covers so many regions

dolemite

Kagari said:
GT5 has likely been moved to December.
kaz_hirai_laughing.jpg

r.gun

Neo Member
Patriotsbball5460 said:
Okay, so...

September 2007:

360: 527.8k
Halo 3: 3.3 million

September 2009:

360: 352.6k
Halo: ODST: 1.52 million

September 2010:

360: 483.9k
Halo: Reach: 3.3 million

Okay, so I am actually pretty surprised about the sustained sales between Halo 3 and Reach. Even though there is a much larger install base, 3.3 million is still nothing to scoff at

The sustained sales seems to indicate to me that the install base isn't getting that much larger, it's just the same install base buying new 360's due to either an old defective one, or in the case of this year, wanting a newer, quiter, built-in-wifi slim.

r.gun said:
The sustained sales seems to indicate to me that the install base isn't getting that much larger, it's just the same install base buying new 360's due to either an old defective one, or in the case of this year, wanting a newer, quiter, built-in-wifi slim.
:lol Comedy gold.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wait just catching up with todays news, did Guitar Hero really only sell 85K on ALL platforms? Wow, that's incredible. What a fall from glory, goddamn.

bill0527

r.gun said:

Nice knowing you junior.

What you just said is a banned meme in previous NPD threads.

Caused the downfall of many a stubborn sales-ager who just can't understand the concept of an attach rate.

Kaijima said:
To be honest I was wondering what was up with Nintendo when the only expanded audience and/or bridge game announced at E3 was Wii Party. Half of me wonders if Nintendo has effectively given up on regaining any momentum with the Wii and is now buckling in for the rest of its lifespan, concentrating on 3DS, etc etc.

Wii Party is IMHO a very weak expanded audience title; it's not attention grabbing to the average joe like Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, or even Wii Music. I'm not sure if Donkey Kong Country Returns can really be a bridge game like Mario Kart and NSMB Wii. Nintendo has had great trouble with the Wii trying to figure out how to follow up on its success. They have an expanded audience hungry for content but have largely failed to deliver. (I still think the real downfall of the Wii in the mindspace of the general public began when they flubbed turning Animal Crossing into a monster bridge title. There was the Wii's MMORPG for the expanded audience and they merely repackaged the GC version with a few extras.)

I agree: E3 was great for the hardcore crowd (3DS, Donkey Kong, Kirby) but was scant on casual-friendly titles short of Wii Party. Is Nintendo going to bank on their existing titles and Wii Party for the holiday season? They could advertise the heck out of DK and Kirby, but I don't see them having the same legs as NSMB/Mario Kart/etc.

Having Metroid chart in the Top 10 could be a positive sign for Wii hardcore games though. Epic Mickey and Goldeneye could sell surprisingly well.

Jonsoncao

Banned
r.gun said:

finally NPD thread delivers! :lol

Top Bottom