• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

September 2010 NPD "Results" [Up3: Dead Rising 2, Metroid, Kingdom Hearts Numbers]

r.gun said:
The sustained sales seems to indicate to me that the install base isn't getting that much larger, it's just the same install base buying new 360's due to either an old defective one, or in the case of this year, wanting a newer, quiter, built-in-wifi slim.

Now lets compare total 360 software sales in Fall of 2007 to total 360 software sales in Fall of 2010.

It also added that Xbox 360 software sales were up 33 per cent to $85 million off the back of Halo: Reach, while Wii software sales fell 38 per cent to $55 million and PlayStation 3 sales dropped 14 per cent to $17 million. DS games sales were down 37 per cent to $31 million and PSP sales down 2 per cent. [Note: This only makes sense if he means that this is what they're up by instead of what they're equal to.]

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...e-in-september

Is this possible? That the Wii sells over 3x more software than PS3? And the 360 5 times? In the Move launch month?

Is this a typo?

WillyFive

SlipperySlope said:
Is this possible? That the Wii sells over 3x more software than PS3? And the 360 5 times? In the Move launch month?

Is this a typo?

Well, it's believable, at least.

Regardless of which games sell, Wii games do sell.

orion434

bill0527 said:
Nice knowing you junior.

What you just said is a banned meme in previous NPD threads.

Caused the downfall of many a stubborn sales-ager who just can't understand the concept of an attach rate.

Has there been a ban in this thread yet? It's not an NPD thread without bans...

Mrbob

SlipperySlope said:

Is this a typo?

I believe what he is trying to say is 360 software sales are up 85 million, wii down 55 million and PS3 down 17 million.

Halo Reach did way more than 85 million in business by itself.

SlipperySlope said:

Is this a typo?
that whole thing is suspect.

what's 3.3 million multiplied by $60?

edit: see above.

Tmac

Lagspike_exe said:
Sony isn't going to price cut now when they're exceeding their already high, 15m ww, expectations.

Considering the last price drop, its much sooner than later the next price drop.

They'll have to cut the price anytime now, so why not do it now and enjoy a real good boost for the holydays?

My bet it, sony will slash the price before holydays.

NeonZ

NeoUltima said:
Uh o. Nintendo in truble. Shoulda listened to Pachter and made Wii HD.

A stop gap mid gen system would have been the worst possible idea. It wouldn't solve the 3rd party software issues which crippled the Wii and would just split the user base.

PSGames

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Built-in WiFi, bigger hard drive and, yes, more reliable. The 360 sales in NA were decent even before the Slim (above the PS3 for the whole year), this just gave it an additional push.

Let's hope Microsofts understands this. Matching their competitor's features from now on is a must. Could you imagine if they ever made LIVE free? The sales from that would be astronomical :lol Will never happen though.

r.gun said:
The sustained sales seems to indicate to me that the install base isn't getting that much larger, it's just the same install base buying new 360's due to either an old defective one, or in the case of this year, wanting a newer, quiter, built-in-wifi slim.

Just because the userbase has expanded doesn't mean those new users would be interested in HALO.

Tmac said:
Considering the last price drop, its much sooner than later the next price drop.

They'll have to cut the price anytime now, so why not do it now and enjoy a real good boost for the holydays?

No they won't. Expectations are going to be met, they won't be shooting for 20m+ this FY. No need to deprive yourself from the additional revenue and most likely get in another shortage crisis, because Sony just barely eliminated the last one. I don't think they would be able to pull out 20m+ PS3s when they were aiming for 15m.

Mrbob

I don't see any reason for Sony to cut the price. They are hitting their own targets, and it isn't like the PS3 is selling poorly. 312K is a good number. No reason to cut price and lose 50 bucks on each unit sold when the system is still selling at a decent clip. Sales will only increase as the holiday comes and Sony is profiting off of every system sold for the first time.

Eternia

jcm said:
According to this post, September 2004 was:

XBX: 270,000
PS2: 250,000
GCN: 110,000

I can't vouch for the accuracy of his data, though.
If that data is close to being accurate, I'm really curious why people scoff at consoles only doing 300-400k per month when the once undisputed market leader ended up consistently selling similarly per non-holiday month a few years into its life cycle. Sure, the PS2 performed better at its peak and has larger bumps but that should be expected by the software they constantly pushed out.

Tmac said:

No, not now, they have GT5 to milk, but definitely next year.

PSGames said:
Could you imagine if they ever made LIVE free? The sales from that would be astronomical :lol

The revenue loss would also be astronomical. It wouldn't be in their best interest at all.

I don't think feature parity is that important, just look at what Wii was able to pull off prior to slowing down. Reliable hardware, on the other hand, is.

Road

SlipperySlope said:

Is this a typo?

Here is what is more likely for revenue for Sep. (he forgot the PS2, but it doesn't alter the 360/Wii/PS3 numbers):

Marcos said:
by my calculator

360: 342m
wii: 90m
PS3: 104m

en 2009:

360: 257m
wii: 145m
PS3: 123m

DS from 83m to 52m

all adds 342+90+104+52 = 588

total is 614 so PSP it counts 26m

LCfiner

Eternia said:
If that data is close to being accurate, I'm really curious why people scoff at consoles only doing 300-400k per month when the once undisputed market leader ended up consistently selling similarly per non-holiday month a few years into its life cycle. Sure, the PS2 performed better at its peak and has larger bumps but that should be expected by the software they constantly pushed out.

expectations change as the industry grows year over year

fernoca

r.gun said:
Yes!
See guys, I told ya that all those Xbox 360 sales are from people buying Xbox 360s all over again. Oh! and buying second copies of Modern Warfare 2 to go with it. Because we all know that when consoles break, you need to replace the entire library of games as well.

Some of your guys' business concepts are scary. To have a knee-jerk reaction to good 360 month would be the complete opposite of what Sony is aiming for. Sony can not respond to the 360's month(that included the release of the biggest exclusive of the year, momentum from the slim and preparation for Kinect) with a price drop.

The PS3 is in a good position right now. The $299 price point is equal to the comparable 360 SKU, PS Move appears to be a relative success, the holiday season is on the way which will bring increased sales, it is outselling the Wii for the second time ever, and Gran Turismo 5 is on the near horizon.

To drop the price now would be a complete blunder in everything Sony has worked to do in the past year. The games department is finally turning a profit with the prices their systems are at now. Because of the $299 price, Sony is actually making a profit on every PS3 that is sold which is something they really need to try and offset the hits they were taking in the first few years of the PS3.

And like mentioned above, with the holiday season coming, a boost in sales is inevitable which will add even more to their revenues, and to cut the price right now before the boost that will already be seen would just be missing out on all the money that will be flowing in.

Sony is no longer in this generation to 'beat Microsoft', they are staying in this console cycle so they can make a profit and get back on even ground for the next generation of systems. Sony learned its financial lesson with the launch of the PS3, and now they are just recovering from it and some of you are saying they should drop the price again to a point where they would be losing money on every system again...that would be utterly absurd.

apana

Lone_Prodigy said:
I agree: E3 was great for the hardcore crowd (3DS, Donkey Kong, Kirby) but was scant on casual-friendly titles short of Wii Party. Is Nintendo going to bank on their existing titles and Wii Party for the holiday season? They could advertise the heck out of DK and Kirby, but I don't see them having the same legs as NSMB/Mario Kart/etc.

Having Metroid chart in the Top 10 could be a positive sign for Wii hardcore games though. Epic Mickey and Goldeneye could sell surprisingly well.

I dont understand people's definitions of hardcore vs. casual. Just based on history, Donkey Kong was probably the best choice they could have made for the holidays. Also I dont think metroid other m is doing as well as metroid prime corruption.

r.gun said:
or in the case of this year, wanting a newer, quiter, built-in-wifi slim.

And when you buy a new slim, you encase your old 360 in carbonite and drop it in the Sarlaac pit, ensuring that the install base does not grow.

kswiston

Out of curiosity, does anyone have updated LTD totals for the three current gen consoles? How about LTD totals for PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube through Sept 2005? I would like to see how much the industry grew so far this gen.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I regret to say that there will probably not be a chart this afternoon. Unless things change, I have nothing new to add.

So Nintendo have managed to go from running away with the lead every month to dead last? The Wii's fall has been almost as dramatic as its rise, and surely the greatest ever precedent of how to kill momentum for a platform. A lot of it has to do with lack of decent third party support but the lack of third party support is a direct consequence of Nintendo's decisions, so they're not getting off the hook that easily.

The evidence of the need to launch Wii 2 and soon just continues to build. Holidays 2011, nailed on.

r.gun said:

Oh no you didn't :lol

apana

brain_stew said:
So Nintendo have managed to go from running away with the lead every month to dead last? The Wii's fall has been almost as dramatic as its rise, and surely the greatest ever precedent of how to kill momentum for a platform. A lot of it has to do with lack of decent third party support but the lack of third party support is a direct consequence of Nintendo's decisions, so they're not getting off the hook that easily.

The evidence of the need to launch Wii 2 and soon just continues to build. Holidays 2011, nailed on.

That's going a bit overboard, the Wii may still reach close to 18 million by the end of the year. I dont think that's a dramatic decline over 2009. I agree about the third party part, no matter how you slice it that's Nintendo's responsibility.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
r.gun said:
There is one in every thread...:lol

TheOddOne

Alx said:
A Disney kinect game ? My bet is on a Fantasia - Sorcerer Mickey game

(not really, but it could be a good mini-game...)
Who knows :p I guess we will hear more about those projects in 2011 and hopefully they will say who's developing it.

RedStep

r.gun said:

You are astute, and your logic is sound.

Clearly this also indicates that half of the install base actually sold their Xboxes between 3 and ODST (obviously unsatisfied with their purchases), repurchasing them for Reach.

This explains both the lowered ODST software sales and recent increase in hardware sales. The circle is complete.

Edit: Good point above; they may not have been sold (that would have led to more ODST sales). I now am confident that the hardware was lying broken, inoperable for those years.

TheOddOne

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
No, not now, they have GT5 to milk, but definitely next year.
ehyq28.jpg

Celine

brain_stew said:

Yes, but without those decisions Nintendo would never had the smashing success enjoyed by the Wii.
Their last console was a sort of oddball in which they believed ( enough to release ) and paid off immensely.

I like how one bad month for Nintendo basically boils down to "Nintendo is done" to most people.

For all we know, Wii Party could cause the Wii to get back to ridiculous numbers again. It's very difficult to come right out and say "OMG WII IS DEAD" from 1 bad month of sales.

Remember, Metroid was also the only major release of the month, and Metroid certainly doesn't sell systems as well as Wii Party and Donkey Kong have the potential to do.

3rd party sales are also not a problem for the Wii. Those still stay at the same level, if not higher than the other two systems. As far as I know, within the last 6 months, the Wii has actually sold the most third party titles, and pretty much always has since it was released.

I really think the lull in software, on top of Move's launch, caused a bad month for Nintendo. Overall, I see Nintendo having a strong, but somewhat weaker than last year holiday, with Wii Party and DK as front running system sellers. They could even pull a surprise NOA release of Super Mario All Stars and the red Wii, which will sell some Wiis.

balladofwindfishes said:
I like how one bad month for Nintendo basically boils down to "Nintendo is done" to most people.

For all we know, Wii Party could cause the Wii to get back to ridiculous numbers again. It's very difficult to come right out and say "OMG WII IS DEAD" from 1 bad month of sales.

Remember, Metroid was also the only major release of the month, and Metroid certainly doesn't sell systems as well as Wii Party and Donkey Kong have the potential to do.

3rd party sales are also not a problem for the Wii. Those still stay at the same level, if not higher than the other two systems. As far as I know, within the last 6 months, the Wii has actually sold the most third party titles, and pretty much always has since it was released.

I really think the lull in software, on top of Move's launch, caused a bad month for Nintendo. Overall, I see Nintendo having a strong, but somewhat weaker than last year holiday, with Wii Party and DK as front running system sellers. They could even pull a surprise NOA release of Super Mario All Stars and the red Wii, which will sell some Wiis.

3.8 million December is really all you needed to say. <3 (corrected)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
balladofwindfishes said:

Kirby will probably do better than DK.

szaromir

Banned
balladofwindfishes said:
It's not one month, it's a trend. Wii should have terrific Christmas though, it's still the console with the most E-rated content on it.

Kagari said:
Kirby will probably do better than DK.
Maybe in Japan, but I don't see it in the US.

Donkey Kong as a character is more well known than Kirby. And Epic Yarn does not make itself look appropriate for anyone over 8 (even if it is a really great game).

Edit: Why do I type Yawn instead of Yarn every time :/

brain_stew said:

I think they're comfortable right now. It's not like the gobs and gobs of money they made in the last 5 years goes away because they're selling last this holiday.

Plus, 3DS monies are on the horizon. A very, very green horizon, I might add.

Who knows, nintendo might just be sitting it out lately to give 3rd parties a chance to sell. And they are still selling more copies of NSMB Wii monthly than many new HD releases.

Owzers

Wii's sales always looked like a house of cards. Every month you'd see the same games in the top ten and no new releases. Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart. They dominated the charts for like a year and Wii dominated hardware sales. Now look at the top ten. Anything? Wii Party could be huge or just Wii Music level success...charts in the first month then slowly continues to sell a good amount, but nothing that will keep hardware on top.

Now that PS3 and 360 have slimmer/cheaper/better systems out and pretty much every "core" game in existence is on those systems along with PC while the Wii gets basically nothing outside of Nintendo games, Wii SHOULD be the lowest selling console. I think the burden is too great on Nintendo to produce a "hit " game every 3 or 4 months, and 3rd parties don't really give a damn about Wii's motion controller to help them out.

If i were Disney i'd start working on a PS3 Epic Mickey with move support, if they haven't already.

Celine

balladofwindfishes said:

Ridiculous numbers ( I'm talking about the 700K+ every month from March 2008 to March 2009 that Wii achieved ) won't come back.
Wii is definitely on a decline path.
Said that Wii is the most over achieving console ever ( tied with NES maybe ) if you consider how was the expectations back before 2006.

Top Bottom