• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle this debate chicken burger or chicken sandwich?

gamma

arbys-turkey-sandwiches.png

Look at all these burgers

220px-Frankenstein%27s_monster_%28Boris_Karloff%29.jpg

Man or monster?

The burger in burger stands for hamburger. As in beef. As in not chicken.

fake news

Don't listen to the heretics. We call them chicken sandwiches here.

The burger in burger stands for hamburger. As in beef. As in not chicken.
Yeah this is what I have seen everywhere here in US and this is what I believe.
Beef=Burger.

BTW what's a McChicken? Burger or a Sandwich?

Just to be clear though, there are chicken burgers (and turkey burgers, and ostrich burgers, etc), but they are specifically ground up meat just like a hamburger is ground up beef.

Korey

Yeah this is what I have seen everywhere here in US and this is what I believe.
Beef=Burger.

BTW what's a McChicken? Burger or a Sandwich?
6317593141_73a31d6505_b.jpg

Chicken sandwich: a piece of chicken in between bread/buns. Often breaded.

Chicken burger: the chicken is grounded and formed into a patty, just like beef.

You will almost never encounter a chicken burger.

Chicken burger: the chicken is grounded and formed into a patty, just like beef.

Mcchicken sandwich is just the name of that particular chicken burger

Pizza

Unless the chicken is ground and formed into a patty, sandwich.

This is how I handle it.

For example, the Chicken Sandwich menu item at Wendy's is a fried chicken breast, whereas the dollar menu version is more like a patty-shaped nugget. I'd say the big sandwich is undoubtedly a sandwich, but you could make a case for the dollar menu version being a burger due to the fact that it's ground chicken.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hilariously enough your example of the McDonalds menu item... is grounded patty in most (if not all, never seen otherwise called specifically McChicken Sandwich) territories. As in, literally what you're calling a chicken burger in your post.

5F7xV2n.png

Source: I've eaten likely 1,300 of them in my lifetime.

It's probably a regional thing, but I don't think "chicken burger" is used as a name of a food item anywhere in the US.

A McChicken is essentially a giant nugget, which is essentially the definition of a "burger" that we normally would use (ground meat between buns). I still wouldn't ever call it a "chicken burger" though. It's a chicken sandwich.

Turkey burger, sure.
Salmon burger, yup.

Never have even heard chicken burger except for this thread.

Eusis

A chicken burger to me implies ground chicken.

A chicken sandwich implies a breast fillet.
One and done. If it's not ground up or something akin to being ground up (like those veggie patties) it's not a burger, it's a sandwich.

Hell, they're BOTH sandwiches, but burger's a further clarification. Like how dogs and cats are mammals, but you don't go calling cats dogs just because they're both common household pets.

EDIT: With that said the fact it usually IS processed chicken is probably the biggest weak point here. It's not really prepared like a burger otherwise though, and this still means you wouldn't call a fillet sandwich a burger.

akira28

well a turkey burger is made from ground turkey. So if the chicken is ground up into a hamburger patty, then yes it becomes a chicken burger. Otherwise its a chicken sandwich, local colloquial uses notwithstanding.

now if australians want to call their chicken sandwiches chicken burgers fine no one cares. I liked when they called them chooks, but hey what the fuck ever, right?

hirokazu

well a turkey burger is made from ground turkey. So if the chicken is ground up into a hamburger patty, then yes it becomes a chicken burger. Otherwise its a chicken sandwich, local colloquial uses notwithstanding.

now if australians want to call their chicken sandwiches chicken burgers fine no one cares. I liked when they called them chooks, but hey what the fuck ever, right?
Likewise, your American nomenclature means nothing to us. We'd never grind up good turkey meat when making a turkey burger. I think that should settle it.

akira28

lol well when you take regular turkey meat, in America, and put it in between some bread it becomes a turkey sandwich. That's the rules from the Earl of Sandwich himself. He didn't call his beef sandwich a burger, did he? When we, in America, put things between bread or in a bun, it doesn't automatically, in America, or anywhere else, become a burger.

But you can call them whatever you like.

vikki

Called them burgers as a kid when they'd serve them at school. Now I call them a sandwich if it's just grilled chicken or a piece of fried chicken. If it's ground chicken made into a patty, then I'd call it a burger. It really doesn't matter though.

nded

"Hamburger" refers to how the meat is prepared, not the kind of bun used.

Soldiers in Vietnam didn't call it Hamburger Hill because bullet riddled corpses look like sesame seed buns.

Korey

Likewise, your American nomenclature means nothing to us. We'd never grind up good turkey meat when making a turkey burger. I think that should settle it.
Well then you'd be making a sandwich.

Slapping meat in between two buns isn't what makes it a burger.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I looked at this and thought chicken sandwich and hamburger hamburgers.

but you could also talk about pork e.g. Pork burgers

So that leaves
Hamburger
Chicken burger

You can't add "ham" to it.

I guess it's another one of those "soda" or "pop" ordeals.

Chicken sandwiches aren't really shaped like burgers.

The bun doesn't matter. I've eaten a hot dog in a hamburger bun but nobody would say I ate a hot dog burger.

A burger is ground meat. Not finely minced or form pressed into a shape and battered.

If it was ground chicken, it's a burger. Same as beef. Same as salmon, etc. Anything else is a sandwich. All are sandwiches, but only some are burgers.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

I've of course heard of hamburgers with beef, as well as turkey burgers. Can't recall hearing of fish burgers or chicken burgers - always heard those called sandwiches. Also with ham - ironically I suppose everything with it between two slices of bread I've always heard called a ham sandwich and not a ham burger.

Top Bottom