• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle this debate chicken burger or chicken sandwich?

RM8

gtezmgN_d.jpg
Yup, they're burgers in Mexico. When we think of chicken sandwich, we think of... a plain bread sandwich. Not sure about here in Japan, though :0 EDIT: Fish and chicken burgers in Japan, according to the McD's JP website.

PaulloDEC

In Australia, the type of bread is what distinguishes a sandwich from a burger. Two slices of regular bread make it a sandwich. A traditional burger bun makes it a burger.

Zero315

Banned
Came to say this. McChicken? Technically a chicken burger. Wendy's spicy chicken? That's called a "thank you sir may I have another?"
You'd still be wrong. Processed chicken and ground chicken are not the same thing. Plus it's breaded and deep fried, burgers are not breaded and deep fried.

Ground chicken in patty form prepared as one would a burger (I.E. not breaded and deep fried) is a burger. Anything else is a sandwich.

Fuuuuck I could go either way. I think sandwich wins though. Unless the chicken burger doesn't have a breaded chicken patty but grilled chicken breast instead. At that point I don't know. 😣

PaulloDEC

So in Australia, you would consider this a burger?

67d7b1bdbb65822219a461a0a86b9268.jpg

The shape of the bun there verges more into sub territory IMO. I'd probably call that a sub or a submarine sandwich personally.

Generally speaking the burger rule applies to round rather than oval buns in my experience.

Korey

The shape of the bun there verges more into sub territory IMO. I'd probably call that a sub or a submarine sandwich personally.

Generally speaking the burger rule applies to round rather than oval buns in my experience.

Ok, updated the image. How about this?

You, an Australian, would call this a burger?

vxdkyRA.jpg

PaulloDEC

Ok, updated the image. How about this?

You, an Australian, would call this a burger?

vxdkyRA.jpg

I'd say that's either a pretty sad burger or a pretty nice ham and cheese roll.

I suspect the minimal ingredients and the presence of thinly sliced meat might push it into the roll category for a lot of people.

Korey

I'd say that's either a pretty sad burger or a pretty nice ham and cheese roll.

I suspect the minimal ingredients and the presence of thinly sliced meat might push it into the roll category for a lot of people.

So you agree that the shape of the bread isn't what distinguishes a burger from a sandwich then.

Korey

Hilariously enough your example of the McDonalds menu item... is grounded patty in most (if not all, never seen otherwise called specifically McChicken Sandwich) territories. As in, literally what you're calling a chicken burger in your post.

5F7xV2n.png

Source: I've eaten likely 1,300 of them in my lifetime.

I think being breaded is what makes it not a burger. A burger patty can't be breaded.

Updated rules:

Chicken sandwich: a piece of chicken in between bread/buns. May be breaded.

Chicken burger: the chicken is grounded and formed into an unbreaded patty, just like beef.

You will almost never encounter a chicken burger.​

PaulloDEC

So you agree that the shape of the bread isn't what distinguishes a burger from a sandwich then.

Sure, I'll agree to that. Other things do factor into it.

In most cases however, if you're putting fillings into a burger bun, you're making a burger or a roll, not a sandwich. Sandwich is most commonly used in regards to regular sliced bread or submarine style long rolls.

In my experience of course. Other Aussies might have different things to say.

WaterAstro

There are four elements a hamburger must have:

The buns, the patty, the sauce... and-

PICKLES!

Their sharp smell and sourness is what makes the meat's flavor stand out.
Pickles are the hidden main ingredient!!!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
GAF settle this debate is it a chicken burger or a chicken sandwich? I have a friend who calls them chicken burgers. I'm team chicken sandwich but then I think about it and Im ok with salmon burgers and veggie burgers but calling a chicken sandwich a chicken burger just seems inherently wrong to me for some reason.

Two different things. A chicken burger is ground chicken cooked like a burger. A chicken sandwich is a sandwich with a filet of chicken breast in it. Both exist and are right depending on the usage.

Falk

that puzzling face
I mean if tipping threads are any indication no one's going to come to any consensus here since basically everyone from US is going to insist the rest of the world sees it their way because they've never seen it done any other way growing up, so that's how it has to be.

akira28

corporations invented the chicken burger as a sales and advertisement tool. 'chicken sandwiches' are boring, burgers are exciting and American and popular, rock and roll, beatles, Elvis Presley, etc. so lets call it a burger, even though it isn't anything close to an actual hamburger.

and for god's sake don't let the americans find out, they could ruin everything.

Meier

I had only very, very rarely heard the term chicken burger until the Chicken Connoisseur videos. A chicken burger in the US is when you grind up chicken and basically make it into a burger patty.. but he seems to call any sort of chicken sandwich including traditional breaded chicken a burger which is obviously not one in the same. Chicken sandwich for most any sort of chicken..sandwich.

Cheerilee

Hamburger = Ground Beef (from Hamburg).

Hamburger between two buns = Hamburger Sandwich.

People got lazy and started calling that a Hamburger.

Then they got even lazier and started calling it a 'burger. Then just Burger.

Now we have this weird thing where Ham Burger = Beef, while Turkey Burger = Turkey. It makes no sense.

I would say that if you're using Chicken as a substitute for Beef in what is pretty much just a Burger, then you're allowed to call it a Chicken Burger, if you want. Or you can call it a Chicken Sandwich. Whatever. It's not like anybody ever set down any rules for this, and we got to where we are by ignoring convention and calling things whatever we wanted to call them.

There are four elements a hamburger must have:

The buns, the patty, the sauce... and-

PICKLES!

Their sharp smell and sourness is what makes the meat's flavor stand out.
Pickles are the hidden main ingredient!!!

Pickles are trash and you should feel bad. Pickles are irrelevant in producing a world class burger and you know it.

nded

I mean if tipping threads are any indication no one's going to come to any consensus here since basically everyone from US is going to insist the rest of the world sees it their way because they've never seen it done any other way growing up, so that's how it has to be.

The American definition is the most straightforward though. A hamburger sandwich is called that because it's a sandwich that contains hamburger. The hamburger bun is not the sole defining feature of a burger any more than a hot dog bun is for a hot dog. I can put a chicken tender in a hot dog bun, but that shit ain't a chicken dog.

TIL GAF thinks if you put anything in a bun it becomes a burger.

so like, if I place a hamburger patty on toasted white bread it's now a... hamburger sandwich?

iamblades

It was invented here, so we get naming rights, as it should be.

Besides, why the fuck would we classify things based on the bread type when the existence of the burger predates the bun. The bun created a subcategory of burgers. Also, the best burgers I've had haven't been on buns. If had burgers on bagels, kaiser rolls, texas toast, sourdough bread, etc. They were all still burgers

Falk

that puzzling face
The American definition is the most straightforward though. A hamburger sandwich is called that because it's a sandwich that contains hamburger. The hamburger bun is not the sole defining feature of a burger any more than a hot dog bun is for a hot dog. I can put a chicken tender in a hot dog bun, but that shit ain't a chicken dog.

It was invented here, so we get naming rights, as it should be.

Besides, why the fuck would we classify things based on the bread type when the existence of the burger predates the bun. The bun created a subcategory of burgers. Also, the best burgers I've had haven't been on buns. If had burgers on bagels, kaiser rolls, texas toast, sourdough bread, etc. They were all still burgers

I'm not telling you not to call X or Y, X or Y based on your local jargon. I'm telling you why other people might refer to X or Y a different way based on their local jargon.

Unless you think US should e.g. go shooting freedom missiles into Australia to bring the Good News(tm) on the correct way to use the term 'burger' vs 'sandwich' to all upstanding Australian citizens, that's just how it's going to be referred to Australians.

Me? I've traveled enough to know that when I order fast food just going with what locals are familiar with terminology-wise is the least headache. When I want chicken between a bun or bread in the US à la carte at Maccas in USA, I say chicken sandwich à la carte. Because saying burger gets you extremely confused looks. When In Australia or SEA I say chicken burger à la carte, because sandwich evokes the image of struggle sandwich. Simple.

fast food has nothing to do with my hair loss. honest

edit: Another really colloquial example - in south Japan/Okinawa, generally when people use 'meat' in English it refers to pork, as opposed to seafood and often as opposed to chicken or beef. I'm not going to waste time mansplaining every time a chef or proprietor politely speaking to a customer in English using the term 'meat' that it's used differently elsewhere.

If it's a ground up chicken patty, I'm willing to call it a chicken burger. If it's a fried or grilled piece of chicken on a bun it's a chicken sandwich.

nded

I'm not telling you not to call X or Y, X or Y based on your local jargon. I'm telling you why other people might refer to X or Y a different way based on their local jargon.

Unless you think US should e.g. go shooting freedom missiles into Australia to bring the Good News(tm) on the correct way to use the term 'burger' vs 'sandwich' to all upstanding Australian citizens, that's just how it's going to be referred to Australians.

Me? I've traveled enough to know that when I order fast food just going with what locals are familiar with terminology-wise is the least headache. When I want chicken between a bun or bread in the US à la carte at Maccas in USA, I say chicken sandwich à la carte. Because saying burger gets you extremely confused looks. When In Australia or SEA I say chicken burger à la carte, because sandwich evokes the image of struggle sandwich. Simple.

fast food has nothing to do with my hair loss. honest

edit: Another really colloquial example - in south Japan/Okinawa, generally when people use 'meat' in English it refers to pork, as opposed to seafood and often as opposed to chicken or beef. I'm not going to waste time mansplaining every time a chef or proprietor politely speaking to a customer in English using the term 'meat' that it's used differently elsewhere.

Yes, I understand that language is an evolving thing and loan words will lose context and change meaning as they move through different languages and cultures. Normally it is of no consequence to me how Australians choose to categorize their sandwiches, but this is an internet thread about specific sandwich classification and imma rep American Burger Rules.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yes, I understand that language is an evolving thing and loan words will lose context and change meaning as they move through different languages and cultures. Normally it is of no consequence to me how Australians choose to categorize their sandwiches, but this is an internet thread about specific sandwich classification and imma rep American Burger Rules.

im not sure if we're gonna overcome the difference in latency here so i suggest having regional dedicated servers for the sequel with IP restrictions

Top Bottom