• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Settle this debate chicken burger or chicken sandwich?

Cracklox

Seeing this thread on the front page makes for the last day or two make me feel like a chicken somethingarather for dinner later

Sure, I'll agree to that. Other things do factor into it.

In most cases however, if you're putting fillings into a burger bun, you're making a burger or a roll, not a sandwich. Sandwich is most commonly used in regards to regular sliced bread or submarine style long rolls.

In my experience of course. Other Aussies might have different things to say.

Nah man. I gotcha. Was reading through that exchange and agreed with everything you said. Weird that the the unwritten rules of what constitutes a burger seem different here

akira28

So basically Europeans and the UK and parts of Asia have sandwich trauma syndrome. they associate bad things, flimsy, poorly made things with the word sandwich.

They don't have a strong sandwich heritage.

Falk

that puzzling face
So basically Europeans and the UK and parts of Asia have sandwich trauma syndrome. they associate bad things, flimsy, poorly made things with the word sandwich.

They don't have a strong sandwich heritage.

Thanks to Capcom I think the world at large associates sandwich with being flattened by moving wall traps.

edit: derp, it was a descending ceiling trap

akira28

they made people think its ok to eat meat they find hidden inside of the walls of Dracula's castle. no parts of that sound good or safe, yet here we are.

I guess if your choices are 'keep whipping zombies' or 'eat this magic meat'. sometimes you need a break.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to Capcom I think the world at large associates sandwich with being flattened by moving wall traps.

edit: derp, it was a descending ceiling trap
A ceiling is just a wall above you though.
Typically parallel to the floor, but not always. It certainly doesn't matter what kind of bread it's on.

Apt101

It's a burger if it's ground chicken. I usually make turkey burgers, but sometimes I used chicken,

If it's in a breaded patty or grilled / whatever breast, then it's a sandwich (EDIT: also sliced deli meat or shredded).

That's how I differentiate.

Sky Chief

Chicken sandwich

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Chicken burger

gggergeg.jpg

Incorrect

mcfizzle4

If it has burger buns it's a burger regardless of whats in between.
BRB, I'm going to go enjoy my cheeseburger, which is just burger buns and a slice of cheese.

That's the craziest definition of burger I've ever heard. I agree with if it's ground meat it's a burger, otherwise it's a sandwich.

hirokazu

Yup, they're burgers in Mexico. When we think of chicken sandwich, we think of... a plain bread sandwich. Not sure about here in Japan, though :0 EDIT: Fish and chicken burgers in Japan, according to the McD's JP website.
Indeed, I said let’s just settle on the fact that we call it a burger while you call it a sandwich, but they keep insisting only the American way is correct, as Americans are wont to do. Americans who’ve never travelled the world can suck it.

Sure, I'll agree to that. Other things do factor into it.

In most cases however, if you're putting fillings into a burger bun, you're making a burger or a roll, not a sandwich. Sandwich is most commonly used in regards to regular sliced bread or submarine style long rolls.

In my experience of course. Other Aussies might have different things to say.
You’re absolutely correct.

Korey

Indeed, I said let’s just settle on the fact that we call it a burger while you call it a sandwich, but they keep insisting only the American way is correct, as Americans are wont to do. Americans who’ve never travelled the world can suck it.

You’re absolutely correct.

We've been through this. So you, as an Australian, would call this burger?

vxdkyRA.jpg

GAF settle this debate is it a chicken burger or a chicken sandwich? I have a friend who calls them chicken burgers. I'm team chicken sandwich but then I think about it and Im ok with salmon burgers and veggie burgers but calling a chicken sandwich a chicken burger just seems inherently wrong to me for some reason.

A sandwich is like a steak or a chicken nugget, a hamburger is like a meatloaf.

Rule of thumb is, if it's a solid piece of material, either slice(s) from a larger piece of material or a breaded patty, it's a sandwich.

If it is made of a patty formed of unbreaded ground material, it's a burger (the name coming from hamburger, aka mince in the UK).

azyless

vxdkyRA.jpg
I'm not australian but this looks like regular bread and not buns, so no I wouldn't call it a burger. There are previous examples in this thread that I'd call burgers though. Probably not very good ones but burgers nonetheless.

Peagles

I'm not telling you not to call X or Y, X or Y based on your local jargon. I'm telling you why other people might refer to X or Y a different way based on their local jargon.

Unless you think US should e.g. go shooting freedom missiles into Australia to bring the Good News(tm) on the correct way to use the term 'burger' vs 'sandwich' to all upstanding Australian citizens, that's just how it's going to be referred to Australians.

Me? I've traveled enough to know that when I order fast food just going with what locals are familiar with terminology-wise is the least headache. When I want chicken between a bun or bread in the US à la carte at Maccas in USA, I say chicken sandwich à la carte. Because saying burger gets you extremely confused looks. When In Australia or SEA I say chicken burger à la carte, because sandwich evokes the image of struggle sandwich. Simple.

fast food has nothing to do with my hair loss. honest

edit: Another really colloquial example - in south Japan/Okinawa, generally when people use 'meat' in English it refers to pork, as opposed to seafood and often as opposed to chicken or beef. I'm not going to waste time mansplaining every time a chef or proprietor politely speaking to a customer in English using the term 'meat' that it's used differently elsewhere.

So much this. Shit, I'm not even well travelled but it's not exactly hard to discover that people use different terms in different places. The insistence from some that only one way of speaking is correct is quite frankly bizarre.

When I find differences I'm all like "Okay cool that's different to how we say it", usually just thinking it to myself, but I see a lot of other people like "No no no you're wrong, it's not that it's this, I've never heard anyone say that, I don't understand you", it's weird lol.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So much this. Shit, I'm not even well travelled but it's not exactly hard to discover that people use different terms in different places. The insistence from some that only one way of speaking is correct is quite frankly bizarre.

When I find differences I'm all like "Okay cool that's different to how we say it", usually just thinking it to myself, but I see a lot of other people like "No no no you're wrong, it's not that it's this, I've never heard anyone say that, I don't understand you", it's weird lol.

This time it's not about Americans always wanting be right. Hamburger denotes a patty of some kind of ground meat. If it's a chicken breast between 2 hamburger buns the buns don't make it a burger the fact that the meat is not ground makes it a sandwich. Also hamburgers are not breaded like crispy chicken sandwiches.

hirokazu

vxdkyRA.jpg
No, but why do you keep insisting that the rest of the world call it the same as you? It’s clear we have our own rules for what a burger is and I’ve said from my second post in here you can keep calling it a chicken sandwich if you want. The ones posted below you are weird burgers, but burgers. Yours is not. Just leave us be, LOL.

That’s clearly a croissant burger to me.

But what about in America? I mean, it has a beef patty, but also ham and bacon? Is it a sandwich because of the ham and bacon? Or is it a burger because of the beef patty?

Falk

that puzzling face
That's clearly a croissant burger to me.

the crossaint isn't grounded and then made into a patty (with no breading) tho

edit: just had a thought

if a burger refers to a ground patty

and a sandwich refers to a meal where two pieces of bread (buns or otherwise) is used to hold something

can we just call all of these burger sandwiches

except if it's a piece of chicken meat which we'll call piece of chicken between two pieces of bread

edit2: if i stack three slices of bread is it a bread sandwich? (not a burger)

nded

But what about in America? I mean, it has a beef patty, but also ham and bacon? Is it a sandwich because of the ham and bacon? Or is it a burger because of the beef patty?

That's a seasoned pork sausage patty. If the patty was prepared more like hamburger meat (as in a rougher grind with no added fat and much less seasoning) I would consider it to be in the burger family.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
No, but why do you keep insisting that the rest of the world call it the same as you? It’s clear we have our own rules for what a burger is and I’ve said from my second post in here you can keep calling it a chicken sandwich if you want. The ones posted below you are weird burgers, but burgers. Yours is not. Just leave us be, LOL.

You're not being consistent with your definition that is the issue.

if it was a chicken patty with ground chicken made to look like what a hamburger patty is like with a similar consistency, and no breading, then sure, it'd be a chicken burger.

i've literally never seen this though, so sandwich.

if it's a chicken burger, why we still got steak sandwiches?

Falk

that puzzling face
This time it's not about Americans always wanting be right.

Alright, serious response time:

Hamburger denotes a patty of some kind of ground meat. If it's a chicken breast between 2 hamburger buns the buns don't make it a burger the fact that the meat is not ground makes it a sandwich. Also hamburgers are not breaded like crispy chicken sandwiches.

You're basically arguing one colloquial terminology usage (a widely used one at that, don't get me wrong) for another (just as widely used)

If you wanted to get down to the actual semantics, let's first distill the meanings of the two words 'burger' and 'sandwich' to what they actually mean:

Burger

Oxford

A flat round cake of minced beef that is fried or grilled and typically served in a bread roll; a hamburger.
Merriam-Webster (redirected to hamburger)

a : ground beef
b : a patty of ground beef
Wikipedia

A hamburger or burger is a sandwich consisting of one or more cooked patties of ground meat, usually beef, placed inside a sliced bread roll or bun. The patty may be pan fried, barbecued, or flame broiled. Hamburgers are often served with cheese, lettuce, tomato, bacon, onion, pickles, or chiles; condiments such as mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, or "special sauce"; and are frequently placed on sesame seed buns. A hamburger topped with a slice of cheese is called cheeseburger.[1]

It bears mentioning (just to avoid confusion here) that 'hamburger' and 'burger' mean virtually the same thing, where 'ham' was most likely ditched partially as a natural contraction for ease of use, and partially to avoid confusion as to the type of meat used, since the term derives more from "Hamburg" than it does "Ham".

Sandwich

Oxford

An item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with a filling between them, eaten as a light meal.
Merriam-Webster

a : two or more slices of bread or a split roll having a filling in between
b : one slice of bread covered with food

Wikipedia

A sandwich is a food typically consisting of vegetables, sliced cheese or meat, placed on or between slices of bread, or more generally any dish wherein two or more pieces of bread serve as a container or wrapper for another food type.[1][2][3] The sandwich began as a portable finger food in the Western world, though over time it has become prevalent worldwide.

Now let's identify two different viewpoints in this thread, pulled from two of the better articulated yet contrary posts that large groups of people are likely to agree with.

AMERICA

I think being breaded is what makes it not a burger. A burger patty can't be breaded.

Updated rules:

Chicken sandwich: a piece of chicken in between bread/buns. May be breaded.

Chicken burger: the chicken is grounded and formed into an unbreaded patty, just like beef.

You will almost never encounter a chicken burger.​

AUSTRALIA

In Australia, the type of bread is what distinguishes a sandwich from a burger. Two slices of regular bread make it a sandwich. A traditional burger bun makes it a burger.

HOLD UP, BEAR WITH FALK HERE:

With those two examples now on the table, I'd like to point out that the very premise of this thread is flawed to begin with, as:

- a 'burger' generally refers to the patty or filling BUT has colloquially come to refer to a type of sandwich which is the most popular way it's served, to the point the specific type of bread this menu item comes with is referred to as 'burger buns'

- a 'sandwich' generally refers to a configuration of food where two pieces of bread (or bun, in the case of subway) contain a type of filling, strictly speaking INCLUSIVE of burger buns, BUT has colloquially come to refer to flat slices as opposed to burger buns, again due to popular menu items

You can't ask in absolute terms if something is one or the other when the definitions aren't even mutually exclusive to begin with.

The problem with the American way of looking at it is, you can't define a sandwich by its filling. It's the two pieces of bread that makes something a sandwich
or the ceiling and floor that makes a Jill sandwich
. Strictly speaking, all burgers are sandwiches, but it's generally come to be accepted in America that sandwich means a more specific thing than its actual original definition. Changing the type of filling should not change the definition of the configuration of food (filling between two pieces of bread) Hence, colloquial jargon.

The problem with the Australian way of looking at it is, you can't define a burger by the type of bread used, even a specific type of bread known as a 'burger bun' is now generally known as a 'burger bun'. A burger is ground meat (very generally beef) made into a patty. Technically we can stretch this out to a 'chicken burger' meaning the chicken version of that, or chicken meat ground into a patty - (incidentally, strictly speaking there really is no bearing on it being breaded/processed or not that disqualifies a patty from being a patty). Changing the type of bread used should not change the definition of the patty, whether burger or otherwise.

Hence, a menu item by the strictest English definitions can both be a Chicken Burger AND a Chicken Sandwich at the same time, i.e. a chicken burger sandwich. Or one. Or neither. And like I said in my first serious post in the thread, it really boils down to what menu items people are used to seeing where they come from, and the name plastered next to the picture.

So coming back to this:

This time it's not about Americans always wanting be right.

Sorry, it absolutely is.

Now sit down.

Burger is specifically ground meat/vegetables pressed into a patty shape.

A chicken breast on a bun is a chicken sandwich.

A piece of steak on a bun would be a steak sandwich.

I thought sandwich was higher in heirarchy of food classification and that burger is just a type of sandwich. So what's the point of even making the comparison? Isn't the true question what constitutes as a burger sandwich? /CriticalFood

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I thought sandwich was higher in heirarchy of food classification and that burger is just a type of sandwich. So what's the point of even making the comparison? Isn't the true question what constitutes as a burger sandwich? /CriticalFood

This. A hamburger is a phenotype of the genus Sandwich.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Alright, serious response time:

You're basically arguing one colloquial terminology usage (a widely used one at that, don't get me wrong) for another (just as widely used)

If you wanted to get down to the actual semantics, let's first distill the meanings of the two words 'burger' and 'sandwich' to what they actually mean:

Burger

It bears mentioning (just to avoid confusion here) that 'hamburger' and 'burger' mean virtually the same thing, where 'ham' was most likely ditched partially as a natural contraction for ease of use, and partially to avoid confusion as to the type of meat used, since the term derives more from "Hamburg" than it does "Ham".

Sandwich

Now let's identify two different viewpoints in this thread, pulled from two of the better articulated yet contrary posts that large groups of people are likely to agree with.

AMERICA

AUSTRALIA

HOLD UP, BEAR WITH FALK HERE:

With those two examples now on the table, I'd like to point out that the very premise of this thread is flawed to begin with, as:

- a 'burger' generally refers to the patty or filling BUT has colloquially come to refer to a type of sandwich which is the most popular way it's served, to the point the specific type of bread this menu item comes with is referred to as 'burger buns'

- a 'sandwich' generally refers to a configuration of food where two pieces of bread (or bun, in the case of subway) contain a type of filling, strictly speaking INCLUSIVE of burger buns, BUT has colloquially come to refer to flat slices as opposed to burger buns, again due to popular menu items

You can't ask in absolute terms if something is one or the other when the definitions aren't even mutually exclusive to begin with.

The problem with the American way of looking at it is, you can't define a sandwich by its filling. It's the two pieces of bread that makes something a sandwich
or the ceiling and floor that makes a Jill sandwich
. Strictly speaking, all burgers are sandwiches, but it's generally come to be accepted in America that sandwich means a more specific thing than its actual original definition. Changing the type of filling should not change the definition of the configuration of food (filling between two pieces of bread) Hence, colloquial jargon.

The problem with the Australian way of looking at it is, you can't define a burger by the type of bread used, even a specific type of bread known as a 'burger bun' is now generally known as a 'burger bun'. A burger is ground meat (very generally beef) made into a patty. Technically we can stretch this out to a 'chicken burger' meaning the chicken version of that, or chicken meat ground into a patty - (incidentally, strictly speaking there really is no bearing on it being breaded/processed or not that disqualifies a patty from being a patty). Changing the type of bread used should not change the definition of the patty, whether burger or otherwise.

Hence, a menu item by the strictest English definitions can both be a Chicken Burger AND a Chicken Sandwich at the same time, i.e. a chicken burger sandwich. Or one. Or neither. And like I said in my first serious post in the thread, it really boils down to what menu items people are used to seeing where they come from, and the name plastered next to the picture.

So coming back to this:

Sorry, it absolutely is.

Now sit down.

I disagree.

99Luffy

Banned
No, you can absolutely eat a ground patty on sandwich bread and it's still a burger.
I dont tthink anyone sells those?
I mean, sometimes when Im real lazy ill wrap a hot dog with a sandwich bun but it would just be 'a hotdog when I didnt have any hot dog buns.'

Sandwich = sandwich buns

abundant

I dont tthink anyone sells those?
I mean, sometimes when Im real lazy ill wrap a hot dog with a sandwich bun but it would just be 'a hotdog when I didnt have any hot dog buns.'

Sandwich = sandwich buns

There's still some old school burger joints across America that put burgers on regular bread.

In fact, America's first burger joint Louis' Lunch still uses regular bread, just like they did back in 1895.

Peagles

This time it's not about Americans always wanting be right. Hamburger denotes a patty of some kind of ground meat. If it's a chicken breast between 2 hamburger buns the buns don't make it a burger the fact that the meat is not ground makes it a sandwich. Also hamburgers are not breaded like crispy chicken sandwiches.

Yeh this is a perfect example of what I was talking about, lol. Such insistence, so weird!

Different people from different places say different things. It's really not that hard to grasp.

Fun fact, where I live we don't use hamburger to refer to ground meat, we call that mince, and if we mean the patty we just say patty. If you say hamburger here it'd be taken to mean the burger as a whole, not just the meat. The more you know!

A hot dog is also a sandwich. A pizza is an open faced sandwich.

Doesn't matter if it's two slices from one loaf or a mini loaf aka bun sliced in half.

They are all sandwiches. If you want to make a distinction there are two ways.

The modern Hamburg steak method of ground meat into patty or the original which is a fillet. Both are needed to be cooked.

If it is cured meat then it is probably a not a burger style sandwich.

If you go the bread route you come into a sticky conundrum, because If I suddenly put my dick in a bun it doesn't necessafily turn into a cock burger, it's more like a subway foot long sandwich.

So there are two ways and one is more accurate than the other but can be used at the same time. If you wasnt to denote whether a certain chicken sandwich, since they are all sandwiches classifies as a burger style sandwich then maybe it's the grill or fry method that helps it on its way. The bread part can help but it is secondary to distinction from using sousvide chicken breast shredded and mixed with kewpie mayo or cured chicken sliced like ham.

You can make a Hamburg steak and finish it by dunking it into a Panko crumb. The breading does not denounce that it is a burger.

Now how about my sousvide Hamburg steaks at 54 degrees Celsius finished on a grill and torched? It is still a burger because of the way it was finished and not the way it was started.

Similarly, a chicken thigh fillet sousvide at 74 degrees Celsius or a chicken breast sousvide at 63 degrees Celsius and then crumbled and deepfried for one minute or uncrumbed and finished on grill pan is still a burger from the way it is finished.

However sliced or shredded sousvide chicken as is, is basically steamed or boiled chicken and therefore if put in bread will now enter the sandwich territory and is great with a smashed avocado and lettuce filling.

Thus, the bread is not the most important part of determining a burger, it is the way the meat has been finished and not how it started that denotes a burger. Deep fry, or panfry or grill or bbq flame grill or torch that that meat and it's a burger. A burger sandwich.

Top Bottom