• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/shadowrun-hong-kong

edit: It's over. Went over just $1.2m, with every stretch goal reached, and to make it clear, as it's explained at the link and further below, this would have been made regardless of this KS campaign. The funding is for extra features, content and making it even better.

Setting said:
HONG KONG. A stable and prosperous port of call in a sea of chaos, warfare, and political turmoil. The Hong Kong Free Enterprise Zone is a land of contradictions - it is one of the most successful centers of business in the Sixth World, and home to one of the world’s most dangerous sprawl sites. A land of bright lights, gleaming towers, and restless spirits where life is cheap and everything is for sale.

The lure of a quick payday draws you from Seattle into the neon glow of Victoria Harbor… and into a corporate conspiracy nearly thirty years in the making. A terrifying threat looms on the horizon - a supernatural force that corrupts and consumes everything it touches. Dragged into the shadows of Kowloon City, you will need to forge new connections and gain "face" to survive.

Hong Kong contains fantastic elements for a new Shadowrun setting: an underworld of triads, tongs, and gangs to navigate, wild magic to harness, and bleeding edge cybertech to equip. Plus, Hong Kong’s culture is steeped in "guanxi" - a network of influence and relationships based upon a combination of social status, and prestige. All of these elements add up to a great new setting for running the shadows.

da6888b2d2680f2bff0160c8fc806bce_large.jpg

8be05432a0f206d84892262312c66161_large.jpg

Characters said:
b1703c671e65eacaf518df934a6b2e2d_large.jpg

Gobbet is an ork street shaman and a follower of Rat. Her devotion to her totem has granted her unique abilities to control the battlefield, trapping her enemies behind barriers of coruscating magic and herding them with clouds of blistering poison.

Territoriality Track: Focuses on battlefield control by buffing Gobbet’s barrier spells (increasing damage, increasing the number of tiles affected) and planting AOE damage spells, such as Toxic Fog. She also gains the ability to destroy or consume summoned spirits, eliminating threats from enemy shamans.

Spiritualist Track: This track focuses on improving Gobbet’s control over summoned spirits. She can reduce the chance that they slip out of her control, and even seize control of hostile spirits summoned by her enemies. Progressing down this track turns Gobbet into a versatile and powerful summoner.

3c3f61f95a49a4092924aa889d5c8d6d_large.jpg

Wu is a veteran security expert with years of sprawl-site combat experience. He has the muscle and the weaponry to either beat his targets into submission or to break them outright, depending on the demands of the situation.

Crowd Control Track: Focuses on a variety of non-lethal attacks that inflict stun (-AP) effects. Progressing down this track unlocks a shock baton, tear gas grenades, and zip ties to subdue stunned enemies.

Lethal Force Track: Focuses on inflicting lethal ranged damage. Progressing down this track gives Wu attack abilities such as Mercy Kill, which does additional damage and has a higher to-hit percentage on targets who are close to death.

95f1722580e7cb1025908e827fe5406b_large.jpg

Is0bel is a dwarf decker with the tools and the expertise to clear her own way to a target mainframe. Trained for combat by a cabal of hacktivists, she’s as deadly in meat-space as she is in the Matrix.

Espionage Track: Increases Is0bel’s decking skills and her Mark Target ability. Progressing down this tree unlocks new custom programs/abilities for use in the Matrix, as well as custom Expert System Programs (ESPs).

Sabotage Track: Is0bel carries a sniper rifle for meat-space skirmishes. Her arsenal also includes proximity mines that she can use to create traps for her enemies. This track increases and adds to the effects caused by these weapons, unlocking higher-yield explosives and Flechettes that strip armor from enemies.

Plus a stretch goal character, Racter, a human rigger.

849c9618e15cba6d4ae250a4858a60bc_large.jpg

With your generous support, we're adding Racter to your crew!

Racter is a highly specialized roboticist-turned-rigger who fights with the aid of “Koschei,” his custom walker-form drone. He also carries an engineering toolkit that he can use to repair Koschei and enhance its abilities during combat.

Mangler Track: Makes Koschei into a melee-ranged wrecking machine. Progressing down this track unlocks movement boosts for the drone and bolts close combat weapons onto its chassis, such as rotary saws and clawed feet. These attachments unlock new close combat attacks for the drone.

Predator Track: Turns Koschei into a walking artillery piece. Progressing down this track bolts new ranged weapons to the drone, such as an auto-shotgun or a grenade launcher.

0e25ee0e48c447c4ef09ab2614d07cd7_large.jpg

With your generous support, we're also adding Gaichu to your crew! And don't forget, now that Racter and Gaichu are unlocked, their COLLECTIBLE FIGURES have been added to THE TALISMONGER Reward Level!

Thanks to his elite Red Samurai training, Gaichû has access to close combat abilities that are inaccessible to other characters. These take the form of stance-based katana attacks that flow together in sequence, each of which has its own unique animation.

Red Samurai Track: A mixture of offense and defense. Includes additional sword attacks, such as a coup de grace that can be used to dispatch stunned targets. Gaichû also gains self-buffs that can temporarily boost his armor, or give him the effects of cover when standing in the open.

Ghoul Track: HMHVV infection has its advantages. This track includes a bite attack that inflicts damage and heals Gaichû, and claw and spit attacks that inflict damage and cause debuffs on enemies.

Platform said:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong is being developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems only. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets. This focus allows us to have higher-fidelity visuals, larger map sizes, and more stuff on screen.

Why KS? said:
Because we want to do more.

We're totally committed to making Shadowrun: Hong Kong and we're already several months into development. The project is budgeted, fully staffed, and on-schedule for a mid-2015 release. We also have a story we're really excited about. At our current budget, it's going to be 12+ hours long and at the quality level of Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut.

But this is Harebrained Schemes and, as always, we have more ideas than we have budget.

That's where you come in.

By backing the project, you'll increase our production budget and get more features, more improvements, and more game. Take a look at the funding goals below to see all the stuff we want to add.

Now, we could always talk to traditional publishing partners, but we’re pretty independent-minded around here and we only want to serve one master - our audience.

We're gonna ship a great game and it can be even greater with your help. Our last adventure together was a blast and we think the results speak for themselves. So help co-fund our third Shadowrun game, Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and let's make the best Shadowrun game yet!

Funding goals said:
07a6b123f282deab8fc6c530b63c7c39_large.jpg

8bb79cabdc63f55c7d77036a20ceff50_large.jpg

• $100,000 - Enhanced Player Controls! In addition to all the new Tech, Magic, Weapons, Consumables, Creatures, and Enemies we're already planning, if we reach our initial funding goal, we’ll add a bunch of interface upgrades. These include the ability to decide which team member picks up an item in free-move mode, item swapping between party members, a player-initiated turn-mode toggle so you can position your team before you enter combat, and a spread-range indicator for shotguns and sweeping melee attacks.
  • $150,000 - Animatic Scene Transitions! These are short animated slide shows with voice narration that play at key points in the story - the opening, end of Act 1, end of Act 2, and at the end.
  • $200,000 - Racter joins your team of runners! Racter is a Russian rigger with a wry smile who relates better to his custom drone than he does to people. We'll tell you about Racter's unique gameplay abilities and player-influenced upgrade paths when we get closer to unlocking him.
  • $250,000 - More Animatic endings! If we hit this goal, we'll be able to create multiple animatic endings for the story to reflect the choices you make in the game.
  • $300,000 - Gobbet's personal side mission! Dive deep into the backstory of your team's resident Rat shaman. Gobbet's absurdist philosophy and impulsive nature have led her on a twisting path through life. In her personal mission, you'll get the chance to walk that path with her and see for yourself where Rat takes you.
  • $350,000 - More better sound! We can only describe smells (for now) but we can definitely improve on our audio. Dynamic combat music will ebb and flow as a battle progresses, providing more atmosphere and tension. Enhanced Ambient Sound is a catch-phrase for lots of technical babble about making your play environment sound more real and less repetitive.
  • $400,000 - Gaichu joins your team of runners! Gaichu was a member of the Renraku Corporation's elite Red Samurai security force. Infected with the Human Meta-Human Vampiric Virus (HMHVV) on a mission gone wrong, he was forced to abandon his pure-human unit as the virus slowly twisted him into a ghoul. Now a shadowrunner, Gaichu could prove a valuable ally, but his loyalty comes at a price…
  • $450,000 - Enhanced Cyber! If this goal is reached, we'll add a new skill to our character creation system that enhances a character's cyberware and unlocks the ability to install powerful new cybernetic enhancements. This system will further differentiate characters with 'ware from their flesh and blood counterparts. We'll also add cyberweapons that you can install into your characters' arm slots, complete with new animations and visual effects.
  • $500,000 - Is0bel's personal side mission! Born to immigrant parents of Somali descent, Is0bel has experienced life in the slums of Kowloon first-hand. Escaping at a young age, she retreated into the cold perfection of the Matrix, but her family still languishes in the depths of the sprawl. Her personal mission will take her back to a place that she barely escaped from - and you'll come along for the ride.
  • $550,000 - Expanded magic! If we hit this funding goal, we’ll add new gameplay options and equipment for magic-using characters. Shamans will gain the ability to summon Shrine Spirits at specific locations in the Hong Kong environment. These great-form spirits are far more powerful than their mundane counterparts, can’t break away from your control, but are limited in duration. Hermetic mages and physical adepts will gain access to Foci - enchanted weapons and objects that can boost a spellcaster’s magical power or allow an adept to deliver devastating magical attacks.
  • $600,000 - Gaichu’s personal side mission! When Gaichu became infected with HMHVV, the Red Samurai code that he'd sworn to demanded that he take his own life. Instead, he took to the shadows, dishonoring himself and the rest of his team in the process. In Gaichu's personal mission, you will square off against a squad of highly-trained warriors who will stop at nothing to destroy their old teammate... and you alongside him.
  • $700,000 - Revamped Matrix: Art and Gameplay! If we hit this goal, we'll add more people to the team to revise the look, feel, and gameplay of the Matrix. We want the Matrix to feel more like you're traveling in the digital world. We also want to add new types of Intrusion Countermeasures and new ways of interacting with them so that decking feels more like an illegal entry into someone's system.
  • $1,000,000 - Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign! We have our plans set for the story we want to tell in Shadowrun: Hong Kong, but if we hit this funding goal, we’ll create an ADDITIONAL 4-5 hour Hong Kong Mini-Campaign that takes place AFTER the story ends. The Mini-Campaign will allow you to IMPORT your high-karma Hong Kong character for a challenge only a prime runner could accept. The Shadows of Hong Kong Mini-Campaign will come out sometime before the end of 2015 and will be FREE to Backers at the $15 pledge level and up.

Rewards said:

Denton

I want to back this, but I haven't even gotten around to Dragonfall yet, and I hear everywhere how brilliant it is, even from people at work. Gonna pitch-in if the backing is slow.

epmode

Harebrained impressed the hell out of me with Dragonfall. They have tons of potential.

So yeah, I'm backing this too.

Dragonfall was amazing. I missed the initial kickstarter so I'm throwing at least $15 at this. I just hope it being PC only means my poor laptop can run it as decently as I could Dragonfall.

Fjordson

Dragonfall was amazing, so this was a no-brainer for me.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is being developed for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems only. We have elected to focus all our efforts on PC in order to deliver the best game we can without the current processing and memory limitations of tablets. This focus allows us to have higher-fidelity visuals, larger map sizes, and more stuff on screen.

Excellent news. Also couple smallish images:

da6888b2d2680f2bff0160c8fc806bce_large.jpg

Corpekata

Banned
The details at the 100k goal are very nice. Really annoying that you couldn't have party members pick up items or easily trade in the other games.

Miletius

Backed. Dragonfall was great and I'm glad to hear they are going ambitious with Hong Kong. Also mid 2015 means that we don't have to worry about a long turn around time with this one.

Durante

Also, PC only, I guess tablet sales weren't too amazing.

Anyway, I'm really glad to see that since it should allow them to get rid of many campaign limitations.

PC only is nice as well as some of the interface/control enhancements they're talking about.
Dragonfall was a nice step up from DMS, and what I've seen of the DC (have it but haven't dove in too far yet) looks great.
Hopefully this time they can make a true cRPG and not a cRPG-lite like I felt the original SR was.
Regardless I'm far too broke to back this time around. Sorry HBS, I'll have to buy it upon release. :(

Peff

Iszp64c.gif

I love this series. I own all the previous stuff but I can't help but think they will eventually repackage them all on the PS4 or Xbox One at some point.

wrowa

Seeing that the base version of the Hong Kong expansion would be 12 hours long without Kickstarter support... How long does it take to play through Dragonfall's Director's Cut? I bought that during the Steam sale, but haven't played it yet as I thought that it'd likely take more time than I can spare at the moment. However, if it's also in the 10 to 20 hours range I could actually play it...

rybrad

Really glad to hear they are dropping the tablet support. You could see how much of the original campaign was designed around that and it really suffered because of it.
Seeing that the base version of the Hong Kong expansion would be 12 hours long without Kickstarter support... How long does it take to play through Dragonfall's Director's Cut? I bought that during the Steam sale, but haven't played it yet as I thought that it'd likely take more time than I can spare at the moment. However, if it's also in the 10 to 20 hours range I could actually play it...
I have only played the original Dragonfall and not the DC yet but it should fit into the range you mentioned so play it already!

Fjordson

I like that every reward tier gets the soundtracks for all three Shadowrun games. There's some great music in Returns and Dragonfall.

You could probably the finish the main story in that time.

I did pretty much every mission in the game and it took me about 23 hours total.

Nester

I put in $60 on the original Kickstarter because I needed that Doc Wagon ID card.

Now I really need a Shadowrun Messenger bag.

Not half an hour after coming up and it's already 1/5 of the goal. I think it's pretty clear how much people liked Dragonfall, including me. Considering how much I love the game, this might be the first kickstarter I back.

epmode

Also, PC only, I guess tablet sales weren't too amazing.

They really need to revamp the UI to stamp out the questionable tablet-friendly elements.

I tried Dragonfall on my Air 2, BTW. It's stuck at 30 FPS and there's no way to zoom out.

Will be interesting to watch this Kickstarter as an example of a Kickstarter that doesn't really seem to need to happen but is from a group that delivered well on their last Kickstarter. I'm guessing it'll have no trouble getting past their initial goal, but will fall far short of the $1.8 mil that their last Kickstarter got. "Help us make a 3rd game that's like the last two good games we made" is a much less compelling story than "Help us revive a beloved franchise."

duckroll

I'm glad to see that it's not a Kickstarter for funding the development of the campaign itself, but rather to expand on it. Definitely gives more confidence in it being more polished and less in danger of running out of budget or whatever. Dragonfall was really awesome, so I have no qualms about backing this.

AColdDay

Fucking loved Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall. This is literally the only way these games are going to get made, so I have no problems pledging. I manned up and pledged at the 75 dollar tier.

Durante

Fucking loved Dead Man's Switch and Dragonfall. This is literally the only way these games are going to get made, so I have no problems pledging. I manned up and pledged at the 75 dollar tier.
Actually, right there in the pitch they literally say that it would get made even without the KS ;)

Of course, that doesn't prevent me from throwing money at it.

cirrhosis

At the rate it's going, this will probably be funded by tomorrow evening at the latest, possibly tomorrow morning.

Will fund when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom