• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter - $100k; already in dev, mid-2015 release, PC only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megauap

I was about to play Shadowrun: Returns but I have a question. Is the campaign of Returns included in Dragonfall or what is exactly Dragonfall? I thought it was an expansion but now is standalone :S

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I was about to play Shadowrun: Returns but I have a question. Is the campaign of Returns included in Dragonfall or what is exactly Dragonfall? I thought it was an expansion but now is standalone :S

Started as an expansion, but it is a standalone campaign that can be played without Shadowrun Returns.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Kickstarter is now just a place to preorder a game with your money up front.

If that money is being used to make the game better before it releases and I play it, I don't necessarily have a problem with that. I doubt Divinity would have been as polished and good as it ended up being without the additional development time that Kickstarter funding granted it.

Also, when did Kickstarter ditch Amazon payments? I swear I just used it last week when I backed Into the Stars.

Fjordson

They're separate.

Dragonfall is almost universally considered to be much, much better. I mean I think both are worth playing, but if you're limited on time at all then Dragonfall is the better game. Just something to keep in mind.

Dunbar

Well, they answered the question a few people raised in the last thread about why the studio would have to go back to the Kickstarter well again considering they'd just crowdfunded their last game. I was going to back it regardless, but it's nice to hear that they were fully funding the game internally and the Kickstarter is just to add extras.

Miker

I just finished Dragonfall yesterday, which was great, as everybody else has been saying. There's still a lot of room for improvement, though, especially with regards to combat and more ways to resolve situations besides combat.

I'm liking the "Enhanced player controls" in the stretch goals, which is honestly something that I would expect to already be in the game, but I'll take it anyway.

Kieli

Kickstarter is now just a place to preorder a game with your money up front.

I have utterly no problems with this. Sure, it may go against the spirit of kickstarting, but consumers back what they feel they will get their return on.

Sendero

The writting in Dragonfall was quite improved from the original, so I of course expect the same for S:HK, since they won't be messing that much with the engine this time.

*new Tech, Magic, Weapons, Consumables, Creatures, and Enemies
*item swapping between party members
*A player-initiated turn-mode toggle so you can position your team before you enter combat
*Spread-range indicator for shotguns and sweeping melee attacks.

Those changes are a must. Animated transitions sound awesome.
Not feeling the companion's designs though. Still, I'm ready.

Megauap

They're separate.

Dragonfall is almost universally considered to be much, much better. I mean I think both are worth playing, but if you're limited on time at all then Dragonfall is the better game. Just something to keep in mind.

Not limited in time but I wanted to know if it was worth playing the first one before going into Dragonfall. Anyway I only have the original game for the moment so I will begin with it.
Thanks!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Not limited in time but I wanted to know if it was worth playing the first one before going into Dragonfall. Anyway I only have the original game for the moment so I will begin with it.
Thanks!

Nooooooooo!

Stop! Dead Man's Switch is a horrible, terrible game. Dragonfall is about like, 5 bucks and is fantastic. If you play DMS, you may not want to go on to Dragonfall. Don't do it bro!

They are almost at $40K, this should hit its initial goal within the first day if this keeps up. The new artwork looks great and it is nice seeing this series progress. Dragonfall was great. It is also nice to see that they are pushing reasonable funding goals for this one, as they already have the framework for the game down.

I still think they should try and go for a voice acting stretch goal for this one.

5taquitos

Nooooooooo!

Stop! Dead Man's Switch is a horrible, terrible game. Dragonfall is about like, 5 bucks and is fantastic. If you play DMS, you may not want to go on to Dragonfall. Don't do it bro!

It's not that bad, especially now that you can save anywhere. Obviously DF is a better game, but DMS still has some great writing and art.

Fjordson

I have a feeling that funding those mechanics changes is the real goal of this Kickstarter.
Yep, pretty much. Expanding on what they did with the first two campaigns.

The one higher up stretch goal I hope they can reach is the rigger character. Really liked all four crew members in Dragonfall.

Lomax

This seems... very reasonable. I was a little concerned when they first announced it but what they are doing makes sense. I doubt I'll back it since money is a lot tighter for me than it was during the first Kickstarter, and since it's clearly going to get made anyway (and hit several of the goals). But I do look forward to picking it up down the line.

I still wish Kickstarter projects were more obligated to release sales figures, it's clear the first game did well, and they were part of the kick it forward project as I recall. More transparency would probably make people feel more comfortable backing return projects like this.

kiyoaki

They've already reached more than 1/3 of the minimum sum, haha. It's nice to see some love for this game.

I backed this at the $75 level for now. I usually only go for the lower support tiers on Kickstarter, but with Shadowrun I know that a) the team can and will deliver and b) I'll want the whole digital package. I really liked the e-book companion that came with Deadman's Switch, felt it added much to the characters and the story, and was kind of bummed that they didn't do something similar for the overall much more interesting Berlin campaign. With SR Hong Kong, the game, the sourcebook, the art book, the soundtrack, the posters and the novel should be roughly enough to hold me in a Sixth World state of bliss from this summer until the end of the year.

I hope they reach all additional funding goals and add some more. Improving the interface is important, but there's a lot of other small things about the combat that could be bolstered. A stealth option would perhaps be my first pick. Then, astral space.

marrec

Banned
It's not that bad, especially now that you can save anywhere. Obviously DF is a better game, but DMS still has some great writing and art.

Vanilla Shadowrun (DMS) is actually really good and totally worth playing. The retroactive reaction to it has always struck me as weird.

Sendero

It's certainly not terrible, but the gameplay is identical. And with so many games around, I would also recommend to go directly for Dragonfall, if just to avoid getting burned out.

Adnor

Banned
Can someone give me 150 bucks? TIA.

Now seriously, I need to play Dragonfall, its been on my backlog for a while but I didn't have time to play a big RPG last year. Now that I have time and my graphic card is dead I think I'll put in the top of my backlog.

I still wish Kickstarter projects were more obligated to release sales figures, it's clear the first game did well, and they were part of the kick it forward project as I recall. More transparency would probably make people feel more comfortable backing return projects like this.

You're not always legally able to release sales figures to the public though since you've gotta get permission from everybody involved.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

It's shite, mate. Good for an iOS game, bad for anything else. And complete shite for an RPG.

They fixed literally everything bad with Dragonfall and it has the same art and superior writing. It's not a knock on Harebrained, as DMS was their first foray AND they went back in and fixed the parts that sucked the most and then fixed it even more with Dragonfall. DMS is Devil May Cry 2, Dragonfall is like, all of the best parts of Devil May Cry supercut into one awesome game. And it gives you fucking candy.

Raytow

Iszp64c.gif
Tablet versions were kind of ass specially DF, so I'm glad they are ditching them.

I wish them luck. I'll be there on release.

One question: with the mention of Seattle, does anyone know if they're saying the HK campaign is a continuation of the Seattle campaign's adventures? (i.e., using the same character?)

You'll only truly enjoy it if you play Dead Man's Switch before playing Dragonfall/DDC. If anyone wishes to play them both that's how they should approach it.

Dragonfall is categorically superior to DMS, even with the tweaks DMS has received over time.

Labadal

This will be funded today. The question is what kind of stretch goals they will have beyond 300k. (I think they will do a LOT more than the initial goal.)

Is Dragonfall really that good?

Yes. It fixes every issue one could have with Shadowrun Returns, vastly improving on the combat encounters and storytelling. It goes from feeling like a phoned-in mobile port in Shadowrun Returns to feeling like a legitimate classic in Dragonfall.

I haven't played much of the Director's Cut, but I imagine that makes it even better. (Not having to buy Shadowrun Returns is reason enough.)

I played through DMS and Dragonfall for the first time earlier this month so this is welcome news! While I liked parts of DMS a lot, Dragonfall was a huge step up. I would recommend both really.
I kinda hope they add the option to name my saves, sometimes that would have been handy. Either way I reckon I'll be backing this one.

Kalor

I haven't finished Dead Man's Switch yet but Hong Kong is a great setting for the campaign. I should try to finish both campaigns before then.

Sendero

One question: with the mention of Seattle, does anyone know if they're saying the HK campaign is a continuation of the Seattle campaign's adventures? (i.e., using the same character?)
No, it's a fresh campaign. The FAQ at the bottom of the kickstarter explains why.. basically for balancing and story reasons.

Having said that, I do think it's time they start to add more detailed references to previous titles in the story. Make the world more interconnected somehow.
Is Dragonfall really that good?
If you like RPGs, using tactical combat, good writting, and nice atmosphere. Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom