• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae Half Genie Hero E3 Trailer

Cheerilee

looks nice... didnt see any mention of pc at the end... will it be in steam also?

It's being published digitally by Wayforward on Steam, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft's download systems. Basically everything. Even PS3 and X360. Probably Nintendo NX too, eventually.

And then Wayforward hooked up a deal for XSEED to sell physical versions of the game on PS4/Wii U/Vita.

XSEED was apparently involved in making this trailer.

dity

So glad I backed this back in the day. Can't wait to get my digital copy reward when the game releases. Love the whole franchise, this is gonna be awesome.

fhqwhgads

Whoa, the boss at 1:03 really caught me by surprise. I thought all the characters were around the same size.

Was the footage sped up? I don't remember moves being that fast in previous videos. Looking good, regardless.
Looks like it to me, which is fine since they showed off so much new footage, seems like they sped it up so they could cram as much as they could in the trailer.

I am loving the boss battles in this game, the older games had huge bosses as well (Final boss in the original was pretty damn impressive for GBC) but here they're taking full advantage of the scope they can pull off. Really excited.

dity

Looks like it to me, which is fine since they showed off so much new footage, seems like they sped it up so they could cram as much as they could in the trailer.

I am loving the boss battles in this game, the older games had huge bosses as well (Final boss in the original was pretty damn impressive for GBC) but here they're taking full advantage of the scope they can pull off. Really excited.

I figured it was all sped up too.

1upsuper

Wasn't a fan of Risky's Revenge so I stopped following Shantae after that. However, this one is looking pretty good. Aesthetically it's come a long way since the second game in the series.

1upsuper

You skipped Pirate's Curse? That's unfortunate.

Was it widely considered better than RR? I just felt like the level design in RR was kinda mediocre and overall the game just felt a bit bland. This one just looks livelier and full of the charm RR aspired to but just couldn't reach, IMO.

This looks great. Pirate's Curse is probably my top game of 2014. I wasn't sold on the shift in art direction at first but it's really come into its own.

Liethe

Wow.

I am a big fan of the pixel art in the previous Shantae games but I gotta admit this is looking really great too. Mainly the huge sprites. Still not super crazy about the 2D on 3D backgrounds thing but it's easily forgivable.

XgF3k2TdR4qlO.gif

jsWDfcQJPFI08.gif

FSP20D4hAEeCQ.gif

Bm8Jgwgw3yWoE.gif

Was it widely considered better than RR? I just felt like the level design in RR was kinda mediocre and overall the game just felt a bit bland. This one just looks livelier and full of the charm RR aspired to but just couldn't reach, IMO.

Pirate's Curse is way better than Risky's Revenge. RR is an incomplete game. It's like 1/3 of a game.

marmoka

Banned
I played Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, my first Shantae game, because a friend had a download code and he already owned the game. I didn't expect much but the game was amazing.

I'm getting this DAY 1. I hope this game has a great soundtrack like its predecessor had as well.

Now I completely understand why people asked Shantae for Smash Bros, she really has a lot of potential.

Redhood

Wow! This game was not on my radar. It looks amazing. Thanks to XSEED for the physical Vita. This will probably fill the rayman hole in my heart.

Blues1990

This game is running on the same engine that powered Ducktales: Remastered, right? That game looked fantastic, and the same goes with 1/2 Genie Hero.

I hope that the art book will be released in some capacity (outside the kickstarter campaign), as I missed out on it and I would love to have the development artwork on hand for reference.

redlemon

That looks amazing. I've enjoyed playing Pirate Curse from the humble bundle a while back so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for this.

I think it looks great and will buy but why do we need damage values on the enemies? It's not as if this is an open world RPG where combat is a choice and therefore I can pick and choose encounters based on risk (which is oft revealed by damage). On Shantae, what is the player supposed to do with a damage value? Provided you dealt damage, your only option is to hit it again. If there's some sort of critical hit systems for weak points I could understand, but those are better introduced with other visual mechanics such as flashes of colour etc.

To some degree, I feel it sullies the artstyle.

Not that I agree with the decision from an aesthetic perspective, but from a gameplay perspective it allows for upgrades and damage boosts to have immediate and noticeable visual feedback on how effective they are. They did it in Pirate's Curse and it worked fine there.

woopWOOP

If the trailer is sped up then I hope there's a Turbo mode, because watching it gives me a bit of a rush and I like it

Celine

I share your same sentiment for RR but PC is better game in every aspects.
PC is a good game although not a masterpiece.

Ferr986

This looks damn nice. Better than Bloodstrained and Mighty nº9 IMO.

Pirate Curse is one of those games that I'm always thinking about buying it but never get around to do it.

I still need to go back and finish Risky's Revenge. I've been waiting for Pirates Curse to get super cheap. I backed this game though, so I'll have it on release.

DrArchon

So glad I backed this. I almost didn't because I just spent money on backing MN9 at the time, and I'm lucky I changed my mind because this is looking phenomenal.

Sciz

Looking good there, WF.

Assuming they kickstart the next one as well, I'm curious to see how much better it does than HGH's. The franchise has picked up a lot of goodwill since then off the back of Pirate's Curse, and presumably won't be in direct competition with something like MN9.

I didn't donate during the Kickstater because I didn't even know what this game was back then but now I have played them all and pre-ordered both PS4 amd Vita versions. I just hope that the platforming is more challenging on this game like it was at the end of Pirate's Curse because the other games tend to be easy.

Top Bottom