• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Bah2WbK.gif

And here’s Shantae sporting her jammies! This is an example of our newly refined animation system which uses a combination of traditional hand drawn animation and custom created “Spine” rigs. Pretty dang awesome.

Is this not the same as what they used in Ducktales Remastered and the playable alpha? Something new then? Interesting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The animation is amazing, but why is it 2D again??

...because WayForward is a studio that built its reputation on 2D art/animation and they have a ton of expertise in that field? Trust me, you don't want to play a Shantae game with 3D character models, especially not one made for $1m.

DrArchon

I'm super glad that this is 2D and high quality. After everything to do with Might Number 9 (which I still believe will play well, but yeah...), it's great to see a project I backed look like what was advertised.

First day results: Headset is winning be a landslide and the pit crew costume seems to be between C and D.

How about yes.
She has some cute jammies, no?

I'm super glad that this is 2D and high quality. After everything to do with Might Number 9 (which I still believe will play well, but yeah...), it's great to see a project I backed look like what was advertised.

Agree with you there. Looking forward to the new level and tweaked old ones.

Garlador

Bah2WbK.gif

And here’s Shantae sporting her jammies! This is an example of our newly refined animation system which uses a combination of traditional hand drawn animation and custom created “Spine” rigs. Pretty dang awesome.

This is what I wanted Mighty No. 9 to be....

Parfait

Bah2WbK.gif

kSV4sBr.gif

Realtalk: this animation is super smooth, I'm lovin it.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1385247

Update #77 Oct 19 2015 Backer Enemy #3 Revealed!

Happy Monday, Backers!

We’ve got an exciting update for you today, which includes our vote results, and backer build info! But before we go there, let’s take a look at a brand new foe, guaranteed to make you reconsider your life choices!

Check out this new enemy from Backer Ronald! Its official name is Cyclops Omicron Aquatis, but you can call it Omicron for short. These pesky enemies can be found on land or under the sea. The mischievous little starfish monsters will stick to any hero that wanders too close, limiting their movement until shaken loose! Speed Runners, beware and be aware! Thanks to Backer Ronald for this sticky new addition to the Shantae universe! We look forward to slaughtering Omicrons by the dozens.

Backer Build This Week!

We’re almost done updating the Backer Build! If you’re a part of that reward tier, you’ll be able to enjoy another sample of the game, with new tunes, enemies, and a brand new environment! If you got the E3 Backer Build a few months back, the same demo will automatically update via Steam (unless you’ve disabled auto-updates, in which case you’ll need to check your Steam preferences). If you never received the E3 Backer Build and are going to get the game for the first time, please see the instructions in Update #71. Enjoy the game!

Vote Results!

The votes have been tallied, and we have a winner! You collectively chose the headset and sporty looking outfit shown here! Nice job! When Rottytops and friends go undercover to unmask the magic carpet thief, you’ll see Rottytops in this outfit during the cinematic! It was a close call -- so if for some reason outfit 4D is unable to perform its duties due to illness or injury, outfit 4C will take its place.

Indivisible

Have you heard of Indivisible? The new game from our friends over at Lab Zero and 505 Games.

Indivisible is inspired by classics like Valkyrie Profile and Super Metroid, but with the unique character, world, and gameplay depth Lab Zero is known for, and will feature a stunning soundtrack by legendary Japanese game music composer, Hiroki Kikuta.

If you like what you see, head on over and help them out!

See you next update!!

Cheerilee

this game looks great but i have yet to play a shantae, are amy of the older games available on the ps4 and what are they like?

Shantae 1 was physically available for the GameBoy Color. It hasn't been ported or remade.

Shantae 2 was made for digital download on the DSi, and Shantae 3 was digital on the 3DS. They've been ported a couple of times, like to Steam and iOS.

Shantae 4 is the Kickstarter one, which is going to be available on a bunch of platforms.

I would suggest getting Shantae 2&3 on Steam, if you can get a good D-pad working with your PC (I'm using a wired Xbone controller).
http://store.steampowered.com/app/277890/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/345820/

Zubz

Banned
Shantae 1 was physically available for the GameBoy Color. It hasn't been ported or remade.

Actually, it was ported to the 3DS last year. It's not on Steam or iOS, but if you want the original trilogy on one system, it's totally possible.

And we were so close to the best design. Just needed the hat...

NEW UPDATE
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1390029
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update #78 Oct 22 2015 Early Access Time -Round 2!

It's that time again! If you backed the game at the EARLY ACCESS Reward Tier, your Backer Demo is ready!

It's playable through Steam, just like last time. If you have the previous backer build, it will automatically update with the new content (unless you have auto-updates disabled in your Steam settings). If you never got the E3 Backer Demo, please check out Update #71 and follow the steps to get started.

As always we'll be checking our WayForums and Support email (support@wayforward.com) in case you have comments or need help getting started. We love hearing your feedback, and you can post your thoughts here. Have fun, and see you next update!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm, the dance animation takes a bit too long considering how often you have to transform there.

I'm just holding it down to watch it play out. You can hold down the dance button for as long as you want. You only really need to hold it for 1 second.

Thanks for streaming, from what I've watched, I loved the Art/Animation, but game play, mechanics, level design and pacing seems to be much more solid on Pirate Curse. Definitely wish I backed Shantae instead of MN9.

It's still pretty early. It already looks and feels a bit better than the previous build.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is Guardian still streaming this? I wanna catch some of it.

Nah, sorry. There was actually only one additional level, however they adjusted the previous levels a little, if I remember them correctly. So parts of them feel a little different or have different attack patterns/placement.

Youtube apparently auto archives, though- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRAn71I2L3o

I played through all the levels again, though the game crashed twice.

Psxphile

I downloaded the new build and played through all the levels again, as well as the new one. If the level layouts/enemies were changed in any way, I didn't really notice except for the slide level which seemed easier and shorter than I remember.

I liked that the new stage was a callback to the first Shantae's intro level, cannonballs carrying Tinkerbats and all. Too bad it didn't include another transformation to try out.

Psxphile

Another update and a new backer-created enemy design:

RRrEp32.png

Introducing "Ikki", a brand new backer-designed enemy by Roger C! This mischievous specter loves to hide in treasure chests to surprise unsuspecting heroes in search of goodies. Once an Ikki has been released, it can turn invisible! When it re-materializes to fling ghostly goo, that’s your chance to strike! Thanks Roger -- we love Ikki and can’t wait to get her in the game!

R.I.P. Swapnote

EDIT: ah, creator revealed on /v/ that he based the design on Swapnote's Nikki in remembrance of her "passing" in 2013, lol

And shared these:

Roger C said:
See, originally, this was supposed to be a true mimic. It'd pull Shantae in when she went to whip the chest.
Matt tried to take that a step further, and we came up with things like, Risky would emerge unharmed and with all the gems, or Bolo would emerge with lipstick on his face and one Heart healed. Programming couldn't handle that, though, so, ghost it is.

woopWOOP

That's one smooth 'n cute idle animation.

Oh, turns out I backed the $45 tier of this project. Kind of ignored most of the Shantae news/threads so I could go in fresh and then I completely forgot about the early access, ha.

Guess I'll give the round 2 beta a spin tomorrow!

Beat me to it.
Here. The whole update just to be consistent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #79 Oct 31 2015
Happy Halloween!

Ding Dong! Trick or Treat!

Oh look, you’re all dressed up like Shantae Backers! Isn’t that adorable! Wait here on the porch while we go and get some treats! Don’t go anywhere!

- (rustle rustle) -
Treat! A new Backer Enemy!

Introducing "Ikki", a brand new backer-designed enemy by Roger C! This mischievous specter loves to hide in treasure chests to surprise unsuspecting heroes in search of goodies. Once an Ikki has been released, it can turn invisible! When it re-materializes to fling ghostly goo, that’s your chance to strike! Thanks Roger -- we love Ikki and can’t wait to get her in the game!

- (rustle rustle) -
Trick! A shameless plug!

If you’ve got an iOS or Android device, you can get the brand new, re-envisioned WayForward horror game LIT for FREE (like, actually free)! It debuted on WiiWare back in 2009, and was published by Square Enix in Japan. This new version features adorable redesigns of Jake and Rachael, and fits right in your goodie bag next to your foil-wrapped nickels. The links are below. Don’t overindulge!

App Store http://bit.ly/iOSLIT

Google Play http://bit.ly/AndLIT

- (rustle rustle) -
Treat! Creepy Crawly Concepts!
The fifth chapter of the game contains our most scariest enemies and locations... maybe even a zombie or two (or three!). Above are some first looks at this new area. Enjoy!

- (rustle rustle) -
Treat! “Afraid of Everything”!
The talent behind some of our most terrifying games have gotten together to make a book of horror stories for all ages. Check it out! We’re sure that you, and that person standing behind you, will love it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/104418452/afraid-of-everything-horror-stories-for-all-ages

One more thing...

- (rustle rustle) -

Here, have some fruit! Don't make that face. It's good. It won't rot your teeth. Now go on, skedaddle.
See you next time!

...And don't get a tummy ache!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1390081

If you’ve got an iOS or Android device, you can get the brand new, re-envisioned WayForward horror game LIT for FREE (like, actually free)! It debuted on WiiWare back in 2009, and was published by Square Enix in Japan. This new version features adorable redesigns of Jake and Rachael, and fits right in your goodie bag next to your foil-wrapped nickels. The links are below. Don’t overindulge!

App Store http://bit.ly/iOSLIT

Google Play http://bit.ly/AndLIT

Ooh I loved Lit! What a terrible downgrade in art style though :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom