• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.
new update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1708664
----------------------------------------------------

Update #87 Oct 19 2016

Happy Anniversary, Backers!

This month marks the 3rd year since we embarked on this epic adventure together! The game is almost done, but the fun doesn't end there! We still have plenty of post-launch content to develop, which will be loaded with fun surprises and brand new gameplay styles for you to explore and enjoy. We haven’t gone into a ton of detail about this, but we will once the game is live! We hope you have a ton of fun at launch, and look forward to some really amazing features which will continue to redefine the game with each content update.

Status Report:

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is still in testing. We’re clearing out bugs on Wii U, PS4, XB1, Win Steam PC, and Vita, and this is happening quickly and making excellent progress. However, since we haven’t submitted the game to Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft yet, that means we still don’t have a reliable release date. We’ll submit as soon as we have a clean, polished version for all platforms. For now, we’re telling our partners (Xseed, GameStop, Amazon, etc.) to look for a 4th quarter release. Because of this, you’ll see dates posted “in the wild” that range from November 1 to December 15, but none of these is an official release date. When we pass First Party Submissions, the date will become real and we’ll let you know the moment we do.

More Product Features Revealed!

If you’ve been following our updates since the beginning, you know that we’ve been very up front about what we’re not being up front about. That’s because we’ve wanted to keep some content a surprise. Now it’s time to reveal some of the features you’ll get when the game launches! Don’t worry... this is still spoiler free!

New Game Plus!
We’ve added a bonus mode which will unlock when you clear the game for the first time! Speed runners and sequence breakers – this feature is for you. Expect some kind of treat for completing the game quickly!

Transformations!
The game contains five chapters, two of which were stretch goals. As with all previous games, this means 1 transformation per chapter for a total of FIVE, right? NO! This time, Shantae will transform into a whopping 10 forms - 11 if you include the Tinkerbat Form. A few of these forms are very unusual... hmm.

Magical Attacks and Upgrades.
We’ve added upgrades for many of the most popular Shantae powers from the past. Storm Puff, Bubble Shield, Pike Ball, and Fireball are back. But this time you can upgrade all of them through multiple stages, with some devastatingly powerful final forms. For example, you can upgrade Pikeball into the “SCIMITAR”, which will cut any foe down to size in seconds. There are other upgrades too, but we’ll let you find those for yourself!

9E4WtCb.png

GIGA WRENCH and Warp Dance!
New to Half-Genie Hero is the Warp Dance. Get this dance, and you can zip around the stages within a given world with ease. To travel between worlds, you can catch a ride on Giga Wrench! Whenever you need a lift, blow Sky’s Bird-Whistle for a quick lift!

Expanded Art Gallery:
As planned, the Scuttle Town Art Gallery will house the 50+ images created by Backers. Now we’ve expanded that feature to include additional artwork created by our concept artists, animators, and friends at Inti Creates. Look for over 100 pieces of original artwork to unlock! If you unlock all of the images, you might get a special reward from the Mayor.

Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse at retail!

For fans who like physical versions of games, this month is loaded! First, our friends at Rising Star Games are set to launch a new version of Pirate’s Curse for Nintendo 3DS. This version contains a never-before-seen mini game “Super Shantae Nab!!” which will allow players to accrue Gems in Scuttle Town via a special arcade cabinet. It's out in North America today and will be releasing in Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Middle East on Oct 21st. Exciting!

Shantae at LIMITED RUN GAMES

Next, Limited Run Games will be launching Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse, and Shantae: Risky’s Revenge for PS4. Both games include an exclusive reversible cover, region free. It will be available at 10AM Eastern Time on Friday, October 28th. A second batch will be available on the same day at 6PM ET. These are limited to only 6,000 copies worldwide. You’ve been warned! Watch their website for more details!

That’s all the update for now! Believe it or not, we still have even more surprises waiting to be revealed! Look for that, and more launch details in our next update!

Just got the physical 3DS version today and will be doing my best to secure both physical PS4 copies. Man I'm getting obsessed with this series. Half-Genie Hero can't come soon enough.

Bladenic

10 transformations? That seems needlessly excessive. The only good Shantae game was the one where there were no transformations anyway. Hope they're not going overboard for the sake of it.

Cheerilee

10 transformations? That seems needlessly excessive. The only good Shantae game was the one where there were no transformations anyway. Hope they're not going overboard for the sake of it.

IIRC, they said that there are more transformations in the game than Shantae can hold at any given time, and that the transformations unlock certain things in the game (branching pathways, hidden bonuses, whatever), so your experience through the game changes based on which transformations you choose to keep.

Cheerilee

I thought this game got picked up by a publisher and was getting a physical release. Why is it going through Limited Run?

Shantae 4 (the Kickstarter one) was picked up by Xseed for a physical release.

The PS4 ports of Shantae 2&3 (based on the PC ports of the Nintendo DS/3DS games) are getting a limited physical release through Limited Run Games.

Conan-san

Oh, so that whole "ten weeks for testing and bug squashing" was some sort of nebulous floaty number conjured out of their arses and the release date is that eversowonderful super future date of "When it's ready".

I see how it is.

And I respect that.

That being said, there is not one table that will remain unfliped before nights end.

So I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the Vita version of Half-Genie Hero will NOT be PSTV compatible. So those who were planning to play this game on their PSTV, sorry bruh.

Aw. Thankfully it is releasing on pretty much every other modern platform.
Yeah. Although their reasoning is odd. They state that since the PSTV is no longer supported by Sony, it would not make sense for them to put the resources towards it. Which is weird since practically every Vita game released this year is PSTV compatible.

Yeah. Although their reasoning is odd. They state that since the PSTV is no longer supported by Sony, it would not make sense for them to put the resources towards it. Which is weird since practically every Vita game released this year is PSTV compatible.

Maybe there's an undisclosed "secret" touchscreen function in the game? I know you can use a controller to emulate touchscreen controls on the PSTV, but it's really not ideal in most cases.

I know it sucks, but for me, personally, I might eventually get the Vita version at some point, particularly for portability. I've got the PS4 version for console version.

Maybe there's an undisclosed "secret" touchscreen function in the game? I know you can use a controller to emulate touchscreen controls on the PSTV, but it's really not ideal in most cases.

I know it sucks, but for me, personally, I might eventually get the Vita version at some point, particularly for portability. I've got the PS4 version for console version.
Oh it's not a deal breaker for me. I just got a Vita so it's not gonna affect me negatively. My base version will be the PS4 anyways since I backed it on that platform for the DLC and backer rewards. I just wanted to let people who only had the PSTV know about it before they decide.

You might be right about the secret touchscreen stuff though! Kind of like Uncharted Golden Abyss.

Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't this game promised for PS3 and 360 as well but got those versions canceled before launch?

Im asking because after Igarashi's Bloodstained got a one year delay(to 2018) he's considering dropping the WiiU version in favor of a Switch version but he hasnt made a decision yet. I agree releasing a niche WiiU game in 2018 makes zero business sense other than for the tiny minority of kickstarter backers who will still only have a WiiU in 2018.

If Shantae did drop the PS360 version, how did they handle it? Was there a lot of backlash? How did backers reacted?

Cheerilee

Correct me if Im wrong but wasn't this game promised for PS3 and 360 as well but got those versions canceled before launch?

Im asking because after Igarashi's Bloodstained got a one year delay(to 2018) he's considering dropping the WiiU version in favor of a Switch version but he hasnt made a decision yet. I agree releasing a niche WiiU game in 2018 makes zero business sense other than for the tiny minority of kickstarter backers who will still only have a WiiU in 2018.

If Shantae did drop the PS360 version, how did they handle it? Was there a lot of backlash? How did backers reacted?

Yep, the Kickstarter was run saying that PS360 would be options (along with PS4/Vita/Xbone/WiiU/Steam), and that you could choose which version you wanted later. PS360 was likely going to be a lot of people's first choice at the time.

Several years later, Wayforward sent out a survey asking people to nail down which version they wanted, and since it has been so long, a vast amount of support seemed to have switched from PS360 to PS4/Xbone.

Wayforward sent out an email saying that PS360 are actually kind of difficult/expensive platforms to port to (unlike PS4/Xbone), so they're considering delaying the PS360 versions, that way they're free to make the game and get it launched relatively soon (still very delayed), and then worry about the porting afterward. They also gave people the option of changing their platform.

After the suggestion of a PS360 delay and being given the option to change platforms, apparently about ~1% of backers (or about 200 people) still had an interest in Shantae on PS360, so Wayforward decided to cancel, not delay, the PS360 versions. They asked anyone affected to contact customer support and they probably gave refunds to people who couldn't be convinced to wait until they eventually upgrade their console or PC.

I haven't heard a peep of complaint, but I mostly hang around on NeoGaf. After a quick googling, I saw one guy complaining for the sake of complaining.

Probably going to get more complaints from cancelling a WiiU version, because Nintendo fans are die hard. Also, PS4/Xbone were very real when Wayforward cancelled PS360, but Switch is still something of a mystery.

tornjaw

Yep, the Kickstarter was run saying that PS360 would be options (along with PS4/Vita/Xbone/WiiU/Steam), and that you could choose which version you wanted later. PS360 was likely going to be a lot of people's first choice at the time.

Several years later, Wayforward sent out a survey asking people to nail down which version they wanted, and since it has been so long, a vast amount of support seemed to have switched from PS360 to PS4/Xbone.

Wayforward sent out an email saying that PS360 are actually kind of difficult/expensive platforms to port to (unlike PS4/Xbone), so they're considering delaying the PS360 versions, that way they're free to make the game and get it launched relatively soon (still very delayed), and then worry about the porting afterward. They also gave people the option of changing their platform.

After the suggestion of a PS360 delay and being given the option to change platforms, apparently about ~1% of backers (or about 200 people) still had an interest in Shantae on PS360, so Wayforward decided to cancel, not delay, the PS360 versions. They asked anyone affected to contact customer support and they probably gave refunds to people who couldn't be convinced to wait until they eventually upgrade their console or PC.

I haven't heard a peep of complaint, but I mostly hang around on NeoGaf. After a quick googling, I saw one guy complaining for the sake of complaining.

Probably going to get more complaints from cancelling a WiiU version, because Nintendo fans are die hard. Also, PS4/Xbone were very real when Wayforward cancelled PS360, but Switch is still something of a mystery.

This comment bothers me.
In before 'found the guy complaining'
I didn't back with the intent of PS3 or Xbox 360 versions but this is what bugs me about these types of comments: the above poster said that approximately 200 people were interested in the PS3/Xbox 360 platforms. At the lowest tier you could get the game ($12) that is a total of $2,400. Now, it's highly unlike that every single one of those backers was an Early Adopter and got the game for the lowest price and/or that they only chose the lowest tiers. So the $2,400 is the absolute lowest amount of money that Way Forward would have received from that demographic.

Per the Kickstarter, each additional stretch goal was $100,000 apart, so how much of any of those stretch goals was made by that group of people that wanted PS3/Xbox 360, we will never know. But the point is their contribution added to the overall campaign. Each backer was another person to show publishers that this game was something that people wanted and while they did get a publisher for limited platforms, (PS3/Xbox 360 not being one of them) numbers matter.

It may be an unpopular opinion, but they asked for people's money in return for a the platform of the backer's choice (within the choices presented) they may have offered returns after the fact, but like I said, they already received the benefits of those people and had their money for X amount of time, interest free, and the backer may get nothing in return for it. Being offered anything less than what they promised is absolutely worth "complaining" about.

Cheerilee

I didn't back with the intent of PS3 or Xbox 360 versions but...
Being offered anything less than what they promised is absolutely worth "complaining" about.

That's exactly what I saw. Somebody making a purely academic argument against cancelling the PS360 versions. Not anybody with actual real concerns.

I don't even know if Wayforward did give anyone any refunds. Maybe some people complained (to Wayforward's customer service line) about not being able to play on PS4/Xbone because they don't intend to get PS4/Xbone until after a few price drops, and Wayforward asked them to consider the potential delay of the PS360 versions, and offered to give them a free Steam key to tide them over until they're ready to jump on the PS4/Xbone train. Maybe Wayforward bribed them into acceptance with Mighty Switch Force keys. I dunno. I just haven't seen anyone upset by the loss of PS360.

That's exactly what I saw. Somebody making a purely academic argument against cancelling the PS360 versions. Not anybody with actual real concerns.

I don't even know if Wayforward did give anyone any refunds. Maybe some people complained (to Wayforward's customer service line) about not being able to play on PS4/Xbone because they don't intend to get PS4/Xbone until after a few price drops, and Wayforward asked them to consider the potential delay of the PS360 versions, and offered to give them a free Steam key to tide them over until they're ready to jump on the PS4/Xbone train. Maybe Wayforward bribed them into acceptance with Mighty Switch Force keys. I dunno. I just haven't seen anyone upset by the loss of PS360.
I saw one person on Siliconera bashing the heck out of Wayforward because of the PS3/360 versions being cancelled.

tornjaw

You are quite the condescending one. It is an actual concern to me, because I have already backed games and had platforms promised to me, only to later be cancelled.

After months and months (a least once over a year) of waiting only to be told at the finish line that they wouldn't deliver what was promised, but I could have my money back. I took their word and in exchange for it, I was a part of funding their project. It's not an academic reason, it happens constantly, if they can't or won't keep promises they make they shouldn't make them or should overcompensate for those promises they can't fulfill.

You are quite the condescending one. It is an actual concern to me, because I have already backed games and had platforms promised to me, only to later be cancelled.

After months and months (a least once over a year) of waiting only to be told at the finish line that they wouldn't deliver what was promised, but I could have my money back. I took their word and in exchange for it, I was a part of funding their project. It's not an academic reason, it happens constantly, if they can't or won't keep promises they make they shouldn't make them or should overcompensate for those promises they can't fulfill.

This is a different case, I think. I remember seeing the email and thinking "man, that's shitty" but they showed the numbers and how incredibly low they were for those platforms and while it sucks, it makes sense from a development standpoint. Were the numbers higher they very likely would have kept it going with a possible delay.

"We’ve been working through the remaining list of Backers who have no other means of enjoying the game, and are working with them one-on-one to make sure they’re taken care of in light of their very long wait for this product." - update 86

That says a lot because they're very good to their fanbase. I'd be shocked if anyone didn't get a refund if asking for one. Do the PS360-only folks have a right to be upset? Absolutely. Was it a hard decision to make? I'll bet it was. Would they make the same decision again if they had to? Probably.

The pessimistic/nihilistic/sarcastic part of me, of course, says that backing a Kickstarter is always a bad thing to go as it's a gamble. It seems like a lot of projects simply don't get completed or get delayed, mostly without malicious intent. Others, like MN9, turn out to be fairly terrible and, to some, not worth the money/time. I backed this one because I trust Wayforward to not make a terrible entry to their flagship series. I didn't back MN9 because I didn't see anything from it that honestly enticed me, and I'm a huge fan of the MM series.

The pessimistic/nihilistic/sarcastic part of me, of course, says that backing a Kickstarter is always a bad thing to go as it's a gamble. It seems like a lot of projects simply don't get completed or get delayed, mostly without malicious intent. Others, like MN9, turn out to be fairly terrible and, to some, not worth the money/time.
I agree with this mentality. Though I also need to give credit where credit is due. If it weren't for the KickStarter backers, this new Shantae game may never have seen the light of the day.

Cheerilee

In this case, it's academic. You're arguing in defense of people who may or may not even exist, because something similar happened to you somewhere else.

Plans change. When Shantae was announced in 2013 it was targeting "HD systems", which in the language of the day meant PS360, usually also Steam, specifically not Wii, but it did support that new-fangled Wii U system (or is it a controller add-on?), and they included support for the almost-launched PS4 and Xbone because why not.

I don't believe Wayforward anticipated how much support would have fallen away from PS360 and towards PS4/Xbone (in part because they didn't anticipate that the game would take this long). If you had asked me in 2013 which console I wanted it on, I would've said Wii U and would have said that anyone predicting I would get it on PS4 was crazy, and yet I went for digital-Steam and physical-PS4.

The Wii U crashed and burned four months after Shantae's kickstarter launched, but Wayforward stuck to their pro-Nintendo guns and pushed on for the people who bought a Wii U, and as a result my finger was hovering over the "buy physical Wii U version" on Amazon.

I said that cancelling the Wii U version of Bloodstained would be a harder sell than cancelling the PS360 versions of Shantae, because there seems to be very little attachment to PS360 at this point, and a very simple upgrade path to PS4/Xbone (and the Wii U is somewhat different on both counts). Everybody's doing it, with a few variations (hello Japan). And if the PS360 ports add a few more months to Shantae's timeline, that just edges more and more people closer to PS4/Xbone.

It's not as if Wayforward can't make PS360 versions, it's that they've become a bad idea (plans change because the world changes). Porting to PS360 for only 200 people (roughly 100 people per-port) is a terrible financial decision. And money doesn't grow on trees. Wayforward has promised to fold those savings into making more free DLC for the game. You don't need to be self-centered to see that's a much better use of the money, it's a case so extreme that it should be obvious to anyone (expect for people who are arguing the issue on principle).

A refund for these people (the worst case scenario) is not a bad fate by Kickstarter standards. Every project has risks. There were plenty of people in the Mighty No 9 thread who wished they could have refunds.

I agree with this mentality. Though I also need to give credit where credit is due. If it weren't for the KickStarter backers, this new Shantae game may never have seen the light of the day.

Totally agree. This project has a reasonably larger scope than their past games. they've always operated on making their games with smaller budgets and coming out the other end with quality (Sigma Star Saga notwithstanding, but there was some supposed massive interference with the publisher, there) and very few, if any, bugs.

Frankly, every time I play a new Wayforward game I feel like I'm playing a game back in the cartridge days if only because they almost never get patches, because they almost never need patches. Hell, I've actually been wanting them to do a new 2D Ninja Gaiden game for a while because I feel like they'd nail it more than almost any developer.

Conan-san

Do you guys remember when this had a definitive release date and was coming out in September?

Yeah those were the days.

Good ol days were they.

Do you guys remember when this had a definitive release date and was coming out in September?

Yeah those were the days.

Good ol days were they.
I mean, they're working on it and everything. Yeah it was long and it has to be delayed but it's better than not having anything ready or just running away with the money.

Conan-san

How much of a delay is it no?
19th Oct Uptdate said:
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is still in testing. We’re clearing out bugs on Wii U, PS4, XB1, Win Steam PC, and Vita, and this is happening quickly and making excellent progress. However, since we haven’t submitted the game to Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft yet, that means we still don’t have a reliable release date. We’ll submit as soon as we have a clean, polished version for all platforms. For now, we’re telling our partners (Xseed, GameStop, Amazon, etc.) to look for a 4th quarter release. Because of this, you’ll see dates posted “in the wild” that range from November 1 to December 15, but none of these is an official release date. When we pass First Party Submissions, the date will become real and we’ll let you know the moment we do.
It's pantsman! Which one is top and which one is bottom, you'll never know!

Play Owlboy in the meantime, that only took 9 years :p
Go play Fed Force.

In this case, it's academic. You're arguing in defense of people who may or may not even exist, because something similar happened to you somewhere else.

Plans change. When Shantae was announced in 2013 it was targeting "HD systems", which in the language of the day meant PS360, usually also Steam, specifically not Wii, but it did support that new-fangled Wii U system (or is it a controller add-on?), and they included support for the almost-launched PS4 and Xbone because why not.

I don't believe Wayforward anticipated how much support would have fallen away from PS360 and towards PS4/Xbone (in part because they didn't anticipate that the game would take this long). If you had asked me in 2013 which console I wanted it on, I would've said Wii U and would have said that anyone predicting I would get it on PS4 was crazy, and yet I went for digital-Steam and physical-PS4.

The Wii U crashed and burned four months after Shantae's kickstarter launched, but Wayforward stuck to their pro-Nintendo guns and pushed on for the people who bought a Wii U, and as a result my finger was hovering over the "buy physical Wii U version" on Amazon.

I said that cancelling the Wii U version of Bloodstained would be a harder sell than cancelling the PS360 versions of Shantae, because there seems to be very little attachment to PS360 at this point, and a very simple upgrade path to PS4/Xbone (and the Wii U is somewhat different on both counts). Everybody's doing it, with a few variations (hello Japan). And if the PS360 ports add a few more months to Shantae's timeline, that just edges more and more people closer to PS4/Xbone.

It's not as if Wayforward can't make PS360 versions, it's that they've become a bad idea (plans change because the world changes). Porting to PS360 for only 200 people (roughly 100 people per-port) is a terrible financial decision. And money doesn't grow on trees. Wayforward has promised to fold those savings into making more free DLC for the game. You don't need to be self-centered to see that's a much better use of the money, it's a case so extreme that it should be obvious to anyone (expect for people who are arguing the issue on principle).

A refund for these people (the worst case scenario) is not a bad fate by Kickstarter standards. Every project has risks. There were plenty of people in the Mighty No 9 thread who wished they could have refunds.
That sounds very reasonable to me. I'm not a backer for Shantae but after reading how shit went down I'm confident Wayforward did the right thing here. Making a port for two decade old consoles that a couple hundred people want makes zero fucking sense. As long as those who can't make the jump are offered a refund I don't see any trespassing. You mention a good example with MN9 where many wished they could've gotten a refund.

As for Bloodstained this gives me hope they can work it out. I'm a firm believer that Iga should drop the WiiU version in favor of a Switch one. But in order to avoid backlash he should wait until the Switch has been on the market for at least a few months so many Nintendo die hards that only owned a WiiU already made the jump (and by then the switch wouldn't be such a mystery like it is right now).

Not only am I sure the amount of Bloodstained backers that wanted the WiiU version are a minority but the amount of those guys who ONLY own a WiiU and wouldn't be willing to change their version to either a PS4, XB1, Steam, GOG, Vita or even the Switch should be a tiny tiny minority. Offer refunds to those and call it a day.

Bloodstained was announced in 2015 with a 2017 launch date. I always thought it was dumb to announce a WiiU version this late but at least it still made some sense. But now that it was delayed to 2018, a full year after the switch comes out and arguably two years since the WiiU stopped mattering at all, it just doesn't make any goddamn sense.

I'm happy to learn Shantae went through something similar and were able to come out unscathed by doing the right thing. Hopefully Igarashi can do the same with his game and dropping the WiiU version which his agent has gone on record recently stating he's certain it would make Iga, and I quote, "loose money".

Drop it like a bad habit!

dan2026

Am I the only one who thinks the art style looked better in the previous game?

It doesn't look bad in this, just not as good somehow.

HotHamBoy

Do you mean the key art or the actual in-game sprites and backgrounds?

I think this is the best the series has looked to-date. Not that the pixel art in the last game wasn't fantastic.

Psxphile

Gonna need to clarify if you mean general character design or the switch from lo-res pixel art to, uh, whatever it is we're supposed to classify what Half-Genie uses.

Cheerilee

8BLxxEi.gif
qstTPQa.gif

I love the oldschool pixel art, but the new high-def animations are beautiful. It's all good.

I think the character art hit it's peak with the third game (Pirate's Curse), but for this one (Half Genie Hero) the sprite art is the character art. I think (as character art) it loses to Pirate's Curse, but it was built first-and-foremost to work as sprite art, so it's kind of an unfair comparison.

I was just thinking about this game and how much I'm looking forward to it. Was hoping to be able to play it around now. Has it been radio silence since the October KS update? Do we have a definitive release date yet or has one not been announced?

Surely this is releasing soon for the holiday season? Anyone have any info?

Cheerilee

I was just thinking about this game and how much I'm looking forward to it. Was hoping to be able to play it around now. Has it been radio silence since the October KS update? Do we have a definitive release date yet or has one not been announced?

Surely this is releasing soon for the holiday season? Anyone have any info?

Nothing since the Kickstarter update, which isn't really long enough to qualify as radio silence.

- They're fixing the last bugs and will be finished when they're finished.
- Once they're finished they get to submit the final version of the game to Sony/MS/Nintendo/Valve, and as soon as they do that they're going to have an exact date for the release, which they'll announce right away.
- They told their retail partners "Probably October/November/December?" and anything anyone says that's more specific than that is just a made-up placeholder date.

Nothing since the Kickstarter update, which isn't really long enough to qualify as radio silence.

- They're fixing the last bugs and will be finished when they're finished.
- Once they're finished they get to submit the final version of the game to Sony/MS/Nintendo/Valve, and as soon as they do that they're going to have an exact date for the release, which they'll announce right away.
- They told their retail partners "Probably October/November/December?" and anything anyone says that's more specific than that is just a made-up placeholder date.

Ah okay. Thanks man. Appreciate the update and insight. Just super excited and pumped for the game!

Ferr986

8BLxxEi.gif
qstTPQa.gif

I love the oldschool pixel art, but the new high-def animations are beautiful. It's all good.

I think the character art hit it's peak with the third game (Pirate's Curse), but for this one (Half Genie Hero) the sprite art is the character art. I think (as character art) it loses to Pirate's Curse, but it was built first-and-foremost to work as sprite art, so it's kind of an unfair comparison.

Pirare curse art was anime, so it depends if you like anime aesthetics.

I like Half Genie more, more cutesy.

Psxphile

Pirare curse art was anime, so it depends if you like anime aesthetics.

I like Half Genie more, more cutesy.

You can thank Inti-creates' Kou for those "anime" leanings.

And then thank them again because they'll be providing promotional artwork for Half-Genie Hero as well.

TQwnwWZ.png

LZcufNC.png

Shredderi

The new sprites and animations look beautiful but the tiles (ground etc) being 3D are a definite downgrade compared to the pixel art tiles. The new hand drawn sprites just don't gel as well with 3D assets as well.

Ferr986

You can thank Inti-creates' Kou for those "anime" leanings.

And then thank them again because they'll be providing promotional artwork for Half-Genie Hero as well.

TQwnwWZ.png

LZcufNC.png

Seems like they're using the game style, instead of PC more animeish style. I like it.

ckohler

The only thing that bugs me having seen the E3 demo is that the character art in the cut scenes is small and limited to the corners of the screen unlike Pirates Curse where they were huge and as tall as the screen.

If you've got great looking vector art, make that stuff huge and flaunt it!

dan2026

Do you mean the key art or the actual in-game sprites and backgrounds?

I think this is the best the series has looked to-date. Not that the pixel art in the last game wasn't fantastic.

I mean the key art I guess.

The in game art looks great, just the key art for the characters looks a step down from the previous game.

Psxphile

The only thing that bugs me having seen the E3 demo is that the character art in the cut scenes is small and limited to the corners of the screen unlike Pirates Curse where they were huge and as tall as the screen.

If you've got great looking vector art, make that stuff huge and flaunt it!

Huh. Do we have any shots of that in the wild? I don't think I've seen what the HGH cutscenes look like.

EDIT: found a video of the demo in question. Doesn't seem so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHCQNBX3h7U

The bust artwork was big in Pirate's Curse (Risky's Revenge too, as I recall) because it was developed with a low-resolution handheld in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom