• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

It might be time to take some deep breaths and relax a little.

It's best to realize that release dates for projects like these are always pretty fluid.

Cheerilee

Wasn't MN9 delayed a lot too? Not sure what you're arguing here.

I think it's mostly "A delayed game is eventually good, but a bad game is bad forever."

A lack of bug fixing won't kill Half-Genie Hero, and extra bug fixing wouldn't have saved Mighty No 9, but I'm glad that Wayforward took the delays that they took with Half-Genie Hero (delays have a really good success rate at fixing the things that can be fixed by delays, although some games like Mighty No 9 have deeper issues), and I'm glad that Wayforward is taking the time they need for bug fixing, rather than trying to patch up their broken timeline at the expense of time that was previously allocated for bug fixing, or assigning some arbitrary new time limit to the bug fixing and being forced to push the game out the door with known bugs.

The game will be done when the game is done, and Wayforward is giving the game the best chance they can give it to have it be work that they can be proud of.

The bulk of the delays apparently came from the expanded scope of the game anyways.

The wait is a little frustrating but hopefully the game's still on track for this year. I've searched for news and the game is still Q4 2016 which presumably and hopefully means before Christmas. Excited to play it and will be keeping a keen eye on this thread and NeoGAF in general for news.

If you're reading this WayForward an update on your progress would be awesome.

Cheerilee

Not sure if this is legit as it could just be a placeholder but Amazon has the date listed as December 13 here. Hope we get some official news soon!

That's a placeholder. Amazon has been saying that date for a long time now, and in the latest update Wayforward said that they told retailers "probably October/November/December", and said that retailers pencilled in all sorts of placeholder dates. Wayforward warned us that none of them are real. Apparently, as soon as Wayforward knows anything solid about when the game is going to launch, they're going to push another update for the backers.

That's a placeholder. Amazon has been saying that date for a long time now, and in the latest update Wayforward said that they told retailers "probably October/November/December", and said that retailers pencilled in all sorts of placeholder dates. Wayforward warned us that none of them are real. Apparently, as soon as Wayforward knows anything solid about when the game is going to launch, they're going to push another update for the backers.

Ah okay awesome! Thank you for the insight. I'll keep an eye on their Kickstarter page then.

Come on guys it will be released. Just need to wait a bit more. Pretty sure it's going to be released by the end of this year though. But if not, then okay.

Why no Xbox One physical copy of this? I was going to buy it until I found out all other versions had physical except for Xbox One version. Skipping.

Cheerilee

Why no Xbox One physical copy of this? I was going to buy it until I found out all other versions had physical except for Xbox One version. Skipping.

Microsoft doesn't allow small print runs. Take that crap to digital or GTFO. Limited Run Games ran into the same problem. Microsoft doesn't have time for small fry.

Nintendo and Sony do allow small print runs.

Just got an update for the game. It's officially done and is being set for release soon! Just going through verification right now but backers will hopefully get it early.

Wayforward said:
We’re excited beyond human comprehension to tell you the news... Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is done! Did you hear that correctly?! We know, right? It’s crazy! Wow!!!

What an incredible experience this has been! As you know, this was a very long development cycle, and we’re grateful for your support and patience. This project was always about working together to create a product that was shaped by fans, for fans, and now that work is complete! Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!
Choosing a Release Date!
The game has been submitted to Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, and Steam, and digital storefronts are being created. Because this is a global release, we’re working with teams in each territory to establish a unified release date. We’ll let you know the INSTANT we find out when the game will be live! And this probably goes without saying, but of course we’ll do everything in our power to get the game released to backers early.
LAST CALL!
This is the LAST CALL for platform changes! If you’re thinking about changing which platform you want your download code for, here’s what you need to know:
If for whatever reason you’ve never made a selection, immediate action is required! (Contact support@wayforward.com)
You have until Nov 29th (one week!) to make your final selection.
If you do not choose a platform by Nov 29th, your reward will automatically be set to Steam for Windows PC.
Once again, this is locked down on Nov 29th! Last chance, final warning, speak now or forever hold your peace!

We’re excited and hope you are, too! It’s almost time to play Shantae: Half-Genie Hero! Thanks! See you next update!

Microsoft doesn't allow small print runs. Take that crap to digital or GTFO. Limited Run Games ran into the same problem. Microsoft doesn't have time for small fry.

Nintendo and Sony do allow small print runs.

What's your problem? Last I checked XSEED is also publishing physical copies and they do larger print runs than Limited Run Games. So if you don't like what I have to say how about you ignore my post or GTFO.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I suspect the issues with MS may go beyond the simple impediment of higher-than-average minimum print runs.

I also imagine they (XSEED) selected platfroms based on backer and fan demand, so it's entirely possible that they felt XB1 was more of a gamble than the platforms they ultimately chose to go with.

Eusis

What's your problem? Last I checked XSEED is also publishing physical copies and they do larger print runs than Limited Run Games. So if you don't like what I have to say how about you ignore my post or GTFO.
I don't THINK the post was meant to be negative, just highlighting Microsoft's attitude. And it is a frustrating attitude, it didn't hit just Limited Run Games but bigger outfits like Aksys who as I recall would end up skipping an Xbox 360 release over this. And despite having trailed I'm guessing Microsoft is going to stay stubborn on this (and it has made me a bit weary about if Microsoft's role is larger than Sony's in the arms race of rising development costs, but they're hardly innocent of bullshit requirements.)

Wereroku

Last we heard XBO minimum runs were in the 50k range. I doubt Xseed is printing that many copies on any of the platforms. Why punish the devs for MS's shit?

Eusis

Wondering if I should switch from Wii U to PS$.

I haven't used the former in a while.
I think it's locked in now. Well, you can probably email and get it sorted out, but it's not a smooth process now unless I"m missing something.

And admittedly I kinda want to go PC now rather than PS4.

Cheerilee

I don't THINK the post was meant to be negative, just highlighting Microsoft's attitude.
Yeah. I was paraphrasing Microsoft's attitude.

Shantae is small-time on Xbox One (either because Shantae is not popular on Xbox or because Microsoft has a flawed definition of "popular", and I suspect the latter because other publishers have complained about this recently regarding Microsoft). So Microsoft thinks Shantae is trash. Shantae is allowed on digital, but it's not deserving of Microsoft's time to allow releasing it in physical.

I most definitely wasn't calling Shantae "crap" or telling you (Unreal Champ) to "GTFO".

Your post seemed to imply that you were disappointed that Wayforward/Xseed were treating Xbox One owners as second-class citizens, and I wanted to point out that it's Microsoft that's telling you to buy digital, or to take your business to Nintendo/Sony, or to just not play the game. Wayforward went out of their way to support Xbox (digitally), and I'm sure Xseed tried to do the same (physically).

Know what? Fuck it. I have the $25 backer pledge to get my PS4 digital copy and soundtrack, but I'm going to preorder the Vita version physically as well.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'm glad it's finally complete, was getting worried it would be pushed back to 2017.

There's every chance it will get pushed back to 2017, they're only just now sending the game for certification and there's no guarantee it'll get through on the first try or that it'll get processed quickly.

Eusis

Know what? Fuck it. I have the $25 backer pledge to get my PS4 digital copy and soundtrack, but I'm going to preorder the Vita version physically as well.
I have to admit, part of why I picked PS4 was in case I got a digital copy of Vita with it, but given the XSEED deal I doubt we'll see cross buy. Certainly they haven't talked about it before now like they did with MN09 (and of course the game actually will fucking exist on Vita within a reasonable time frame unlike MN09.)

marmoka

Banned
192332_700b.jpg

I really hope they port this to the Switch. I'm buying it either on PC or Wii U, but I'd love to double-dip for the Switch's launch window.

Thank God for the update! Was wondering what WayForward were up to. Hard at work on finishing the game it seems. This is pretty much my most anticipated release this year so it's lovely to see the game is coming in the very near future. Not long now.

Anxiously awaiting the release date! Hope the game's on track for December.

Yeah. I was paraphrasing Microsoft's attitude.

Shantae is small-time on Xbox One (either because Shantae is not popular on Xbox or because Microsoft has a flawed definition of "popular", and I suspect the latter because other publishers have complained about this recently regarding Microsoft). So Microsoft thinks Shantae is trash. Shantae is allowed on digital, but it's not deserving of Microsoft's time to allow releasing it in physical.

I most definitely wasn't calling Shantae "crap" or telling you (Unreal Champ) to "GTFO".

Your post seemed to imply that you were disappointed that Wayforward/Xseed were treating Xbox One owners as second-class citizens, and I wanted to point out that it's Microsoft that's telling you to buy digital, or to take your business to Nintendo/Sony, or to just not play the game. Wayforward went out of their way to support Xbox (digitally), and I'm sure Xseed tried to do the same (physically).

It came off as you being hostile to me for no apparent reason, my apologies for the misunderstanding then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom