• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (PS3/4/Vita/360/XB1/WiiU/PC) Kickstarter [800K/400K Funded]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubz

Banned
I don't know why we have a ghost version of Nikki as an enemy in Shantae, and her design's not really congruent with the others outside of being another "cute monster girl" enemy, but I'll take it!

I'm happy to see LIT back but it really is a bit of a downgrade...

Yeah. I love how gross it looked, and even if it was only sort of memorable in its own right, it really stood out among the rest of WayForward's games. Giving it a cutesy artstyle ala the Mighty Series/Shantae just robs LIT of that aesthetic. Still, it was a fun game, so I'm glad it's back!

R.I.P. Swapnote

EDIT: ah, creator revealed on /v/ that he based the design on Swapnote's Nikki in remembrance of her "passing" in 2013, lol

And shared these:

Roger C said:
See, originally, this was supposed to be a true mimic. It'd pull Shantae in when she went to whip the chest.
Matt tried to take that a step further, and we came up with things like, Risky would emerge unharmed and with all the gems, or Bolo would emerge with lipstick on his face and one Heart healed. Programming couldn't handle that, though, so, ghost it is.

Some more stuff the creator said about his design on /v/

Roger C said:
My other, lava monster concept (the Proms) was redundant, since I was trying to bring back the Mudbog Monster's moveset.

The idea was a lava monster that died when you broke its stone mask. They divebombed you in a fiery prominence, thus the name, Proms.

I mostly was against the Proms after looking at everything because the attack pattern was too similar to the Mudbog Monsters.

The game was looking like it wasn't going to have any nods to Nintendo.
Plus, remember, this was 2 years ago, and I was freshly upset by Swapnote's cancellation.
Didn't know she was gonna show up in other random stuff.

Matt and I went back and forth on the name. Since she throws goo, sounds like "Icky" while still hinting that it's Nikki.

Again, hopefully an eyeball should peek out from the treasure chest.
If not...umm...
HAPPY SPEEDRUNNING

It'd be foolish of me to think she'll show up in future games, but I'd be lying if I said I don't care if they don't give the "different reactions per hero" thing a try in the future. And Ikki would be a good candidate for that, I say.

This enemy design kills so many birds with one stone, you just don't even know:
-Considering how upset /v/ was at Swapnote's cancellation, it's a gift to all the fellow Swapnoters and to the legit posters of this board,
-It's a gift to Nikki (both of appreciation for being Nintendo fans' Valentines, and maybe also a "Sorry, Not Sorry" apology for the lewds),
-I get to get my toes wet in some game design and planning, have my name on something (kinda too bad it wasn't my actual original masked lava monster in that sense...),
-I get the other cool physical Backer Rewards (which, we haven't heard a WORD about from WF), and,
-I get to support WayForward when really needed, a company that speaks to old-school platforming (albeit too much sometimes) and quirky humor. The waifus are really just a bonus.
I offered both designs.

Q:So how did they react when you first pitched her?
Roger C said:
Adoration. The Proms and their king and queen and silly backstory also got a number of laughs.

That was pretty much all. Thought it was interesting enough to post.
Poor Bolo. Denied of his kiss and healing.

Crocodile

A bit of an aside (though I feel good in assuming everybody here is a fellow Shantae fan) but Shantae will be a guest (playable!) character in Indivisible!

CUhliJxW4AIanPl.png

Source

If you want to help make this a reality, check out the IGG crowdfunding page and contribute if you can and/or spread the word :)

Zubz

Banned
A bit of an aside (though I feel good in assuming everybody here is a fellow Shantae fan) but Shantae will be a guest (playable!) character in Indivisible!

CUhliJxW4AIanPl.png

Source

If you want to help make this a reality, check out the IGG crowdfunding page and contribute if you can and/or spread the word :)

Nice! I was surprised she wasn't announced sooner, but I guess they wanted to save the big guns for closer to the end! I'd like to think that these Indie-carnations are helping, honestly. I wonder if there are any more, but that line-up was perfect even without Shantae!

Update #80 Dec 2 2015 Shantae Cameo & Hypno Baron!

Shantae Joins the Cast of Indivisible!

Last week, Skullgirls developer Lab Zero announced the inclusion of Shantae in their newest game, Indivisible! The game looks amazing, and we’re pleased as punch to have Shantae battling alongside Ajna and the rest of this truly inspired cast of heroes! Above you can see an awesome Shantae concept by Lab Zero’ Mariel Cartwright, who you might remember as the animator behind Shantae's Half-Genie Hero move set way back at the start of our campaign!

Today, the Indivisible crowd-funding campaign is only $100,000 away from reaching their goal, and there are only a few days left!

We know there are a bunch of Shantae fans over there helping out, but if you're hearing about the game for the first time, or just want to know more about Shantae’s cameo, please follow the link below and consider helping them out!

Here’s that link!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/indivisible-rpg-from-the-creators-of-skullgirls

Hypno Baron!

This month we’re continuing to work on Chapter 5, which is our haunted locale. We don’t want to give away too much, since we’re dealing mostly with content that appears in the back-half of the game. But with all of the skeletons, spiders, slime girls, and ghosts, you might guess that there’s a sinister force behind the scenes. The Hypno Baron made his debut in Shantae: Risky’s Revenge, and he was nowhere to be found in Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. But he’s back now, and is holding a sizable grudge against our hero! With his powers of hypnotism in full effect, Shantae is going to have a tough time dealing with this powerful foe!

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

Finally, here is a first look at the Tinker Factory – a punishing gauntlet of volcanic-themed challenges which will bring Shantae Mode to its conclusion, and just might bring a few players to their knees. If you can’t take the heat, get out of the volcano! At this point in the game, completionists will want to fill out their player arsenal, new players might find help by buying out the store’s inventory, and hard core players will put their hot-dogging mettle on full display by taking the challenge head-on!

We’re not done making the game (there is still a ways to go!), but this Final Chapter will mark the end of the concept art and character design phase! It's been a long road, but we're almost finished with this massive part of of the game development process! Go Team!!
See you next update!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1432082

Update #81

Feb 6 2016 Happy 2016, Backers!
The Last Backer Enemy is in Captivity… the Galaxy is at Peace.

This is it! The final Backer Enemy to appear in Half-Genie Hero! Say hello to Tuki, the sneaky, snakey seller of magical secrets by Backer Matt B! Matt B worked with our Matt B on several designs, and eventually landed on this devious shop keeper rather than a traditional combat enemy. Tuki will appear at various points throughout the game to offer the player new dances in exchange for old ones. What could go wrong? Traditional enemy? - No. Interesting choice? Abso-slither-lutely!"

The Road to Pre-Alpha

So you ask yourself, when is this crazy game going to be done, anyway? I backed this when I was a child, now I’m a full grown adult with chest hair! As with most game development, we carve the game into sections and work on them one by one. Our goal right now is to get the game to Pre-Alpha status. Pre-Alpha means that a person could experience the entire game from beginning to end, with a few temp objects here and there.

Today our Quality Assurance Team did a full play-through, debugging occasionally to bypass the incomplete portions of Chapter 5 and 6 (the Final Chapter), and a few rough spots that need extra love, namely boss battles. We expect that it will take a couple of months to finish those chapters, and declare the game a Pre-Alpha. From there we will adjust and fine tune the storyline and quest -- all that “meta” stuff -- to reach Alpha. Then we’ll bug fix and polish our way to Beta, and finally 1st Party Submission. We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, but it’s going to take a big push to reach the end!

Did You Buy a New Console?

If you recently traded in that PS3 for a PS4, or got a Wii U or Xbox One over the holidays, we’d encourage you to update your Backer Rewards to reflect this! Since Backer Kit is now closed, you can do this by contacting our Support Team at support@wayforward.com. They'll be happy to help you switch your “platform of choice” to that shiny, new console.

Risky’s Revenge for Wii U
Breaking news today for Shantae fans! Shantae: Risky’s Revenge Director’s Cut is moving into submissions at Nintendo of America and Nintendo of Europe. Now Wii U owners will be able to play the most popular Shantae game on the planet, with all of those fancy bonus features like the new Warp System, improved balancing, HD illustrations, and the infamous Magic Mode Costume!

Even Breaking-er News!
The team handling the ports of Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse to PS4 and Xbox One are in the final stretch, and expect the game to reach North America and Europe sometime in March. We don’t have an exact release date yet, so just smear some Elmer’s glue all over late March and maybe early April, and cover it in purple hair so you don’t forget. 2016 is going to be a great year for Shantae fans! Tons to do, back to work! Thanks for reading and see you next time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also. From another thread
Shantae Co-Creator Matt Bozon Discusses the Series’ Future
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1149675

Psxphile

This is it! The final Backer Enemy to appear in Half-Genie Hero! Say hello to Tuki, the sneaky, snakey seller of magical secrets by Backer Matt B! Matt B worked with our Matt B on several designs, and eventually landed on this devious shop keeper rather than a traditional combat enemy. Tuki will appear at various points throughout the game to offer the player new dances in exchange for old ones. What could go wrong? Traditional enemy? - No. Interesting choice? Abso-slither-lutely!"

That's an interesting mechanic. Will Shantae be limited to the amount of dances she can "carry" at any one time, forcing you to trade away for different ones at various points as the need arises (with the option to trade back when needed)? Or do you literally collect lesser dances (say, like souls/glyphs in the Castlevania DS games) and can later exchange them in Tuki's dance shop for new ones?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yes, just read the email.

The team handling the ports of Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse to PS4 and Xbox One are in the final stretch, and expect the game to reach North America and Europe sometime in March.
Excellent! Glad a port has been confirmed, which I think was expected but unannounced.

Psxphile

Update #82

The gist:
- going full crunch, got peeps helping out all over the world
- by general estimates, cert should be ready and submitted by July
- confirmed for 9 total transformations (5 Animal, 3 Mythological, 1 Tinkerbat for Tinkerbackers)
- Spider form can fire venom and ceiling crawl ala GBC Shantae, can also shoot webs to climb

3p14F5S.gif

New Screenshots:
4rokBml.png

qX6f6D2.png

PSA!
Because of the low turnout from backers for a PS3/360 version, WayForward is strongly considering delaying those ports in order to speed things along for the other platforms but would like to hear from the community. Full details in the link. Let them know what you think!

Update #82

PSA!
Because of the low turnout from backers for a PS3/360 version, WayForward is strongly considering delaying those ports in order to speed things along for the other platforms but would like to hear from the community. Full details in the link. Let them know what you think!
Does people even buy games on PS360 besides COD and LEGO? I say they should delay those and focus on platforms that will sell. I want this game asap.

Guess i was beaten to it.
Might as well post the entire update just for completion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1541649
Update #82 Apr 8 2016
Transformation Update!
Y3LPAP5.png

Progress Status!

Good day loyal backers! It’s been a while since our last update. The reason is WORK! It’s been a madhouse over here as we move ahead at a feverish pace towards our Pre-Alpha goal. We’ve enlisted help from several of our go-to partners from all over the globe to help get the job done. Half-Genie Hero is in production 24 hours a day - literally ‘round the clock! It’s awesome and exhausting at the same time.

You might be asking, “is this normal?” Yes! This is often what the end of a major development effort looks like, and we’re no strangers to it. The major risks have been conquered, the fun is firmly in place, and all that remains is to bring each piece of the game to its final version, which takes nothing less than a TON of muscle.

Where that puts us today: We should be content complete in about 2 months, with another month of testing after that. Also expect 3 weeks in there for translations and ratings too, which can only happen once we’re done making content. These things can overlap, but it doesn’t always work out that way which is why we can’t give a firm release date (yet). Our best guess is that we’ll be submitting to 1st parties (Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and Valve) in July. We know that it’s been difficult to wait for so long, but ask that you endure with us to the end!

Mythological Transformations!

And now, more details about the game! Half-Genie Hero will feature 5 main “Animal Transformations”, and 3 additional “Mythological Forms”, bringing the grand total up to 8 (Okay, 9 if you backed the Tinkerbat Form Reward Tier, which will be delivered via download code). The first of these mythological forms is the Spider Form! As a spider, Shantae can crawl on ceilings and shoot venom. And unlike the classic Game Boy version, she can also fire webs and climb them. Here are some of her animations for you to enjoy! As for the other transformations, we’d like to keep a few surprises for later. We want you to have something left to discover in the final game and not spoil everything in these updates!

mnoitR5.gif

Idle Animation!!
RNdiv2m.gif

Walk Animation!!
rUEFWT5.gif

Ceiling Crawl Animation!!
aaVqi9H.gif

Crouched Idle Animation!!

Screen Shots!
Our “scary themed” areas are coming along beautifully, as you can see here. And, we’ve got some additional samples of the destruction Risky Boots is delivering on to the kindly people of Scuttle Town. Shantae’s not going to stand for this! We’re currently working on the final area of the game, and the Final Boss. As you’d expect it is EPIC, and nope... it’s not going to appear in a future update (sorry!). Again, our goal is to keep updates as spoiler-free as possible!
PS3 and 360 versions

Backer Surveys are in, and only a handful of backers have selected the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. We’re strongly considering postponing the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of the game. This would remove two sizable obstacles to launch, which already includes submitting PS4, XB1, Wii U, Steam for Windows PC, and Vita to multiple regions. It’s a ton of work, and if we can put off the 360 and PS3 versions, it will help.

Now, we can’t tell how many Backers would be negatively affected by this, as most of the accounts with 360/PS3 preference have been inactive since the campaign ended. But we know that at least a few of you have updated recently and selected 360/PS3. If you are one of these people, and switching to another platform isn’t an option for you, please contact us at support@wayforward.com. This is an ever-changing industry, and our development spans a transitional time for the home console market.

Thanks! See you next update!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder which system had the highest amount of backers between the Wii U/ PS4/ Xbone
It's either PS4 or Wii-U , Would be interesting to know

mreddie

3a81b90cf72163fc05a3062bcbc3fbbe_original.png

40fe5729dcdd2f4a1d68c3b41fa79104_original.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1567914

An Update of Major Proportions!

Hey Backers – We’ve got big, big, BIG surprises for you today! Let’s kick things off with a bang!

Check out our new cool promo art! Up until now, we’ve been using the in-game sprites to represent our cover art, or “key art”. But - just like in Pirate’s Curse, the way our sprites look in the game aren’t exactly how they appear close up. At last year’s Tokyo Game Show, Matt began working with Inti Creates and KOU (the same illustrator from Pirate’s Curse) to come up with a distinct visual style for Half-Genie Hero’s key art, and now it’s ready for you to check out!

This style will be used in close up images like talking portraits, digital cover art, or in advertisements. The new look is designed to be flashy and eye catching, and we hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do! This new “anchor image” will replace the artwork that’s been previously associated with the game, starting with this year’s E3 promotions.

VOTING TIME! A Rival Genie!

It’s time for another vote! Remember that “Fire and Forget” Stretch Goal you all funded into existence? In that storyline, Shantae gets REPLACED as Scuttle Town’s Guardian Genie. To make matter’s worse, her replacement is snotty, stuck up, and none too easy to get along with. So – what’s this new genie going to look like? You can see all three of Matt’s rough sketches above, along with the cleaned up in-game sprite designs below. Which one strikes your fancy? Vote by clicking the link right here, and make your selections by May 13th, 11:59pm PDT. Let’s get voting!

Retail Deals in the Works!

We’ve received a ton of requests for physical versions of Shantae. Thing is, WayForward is a game developer and a digital publisher – but not an authorized retail publisher. In order to make physical copies of our games for stores, or distribute games in certain countries, console manufacturers require us to work with an authorized publishing partner. You’ve seen us do this before; Square Enix published LIT for WiiWare in Japan, Capcom distributed the original Shantae cartridge in the US, and more recently Intergrow released the boxed version of Pirate’s Curse in Japan for Nintendo 3DS.

Due to the success of Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter campaign - and the positive support from fans and press - we’ve been able to enter into discussions with top tier publishers to do the same for Half-Genie Hero. We’re extremely excited about this, but we also recognize that this might raise some questions from our Backers. So, here’s what you need to know!

WayForward is the game’s primary publisher, same as always. You’ll still receive your download codes from WayForward, along with all of the Backer Exclusive content.
The game’s content will not be impacted by this. Partners will be given a license to distribute the finished game as-is.
Any extra work required for these ports will be covered by the distribution partners, not taken from your pledges.
Please understand that WayForward is not the distributor of the physical versions, so we can't offer backers any boxed copies.
Look forward to more information as E3 draws near! It’s going to be big!

Oh God, we don't need another Mighty No. 9 situation on what's supposed to be a bear-complete game. Please don't wait to release this game digitally waiting on the retail game to release.

In the previous update they said they're hoping to submit the game to the big 3 in July so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Quite a nice update. Of course it comes just when I'm gone.

Weird, your embedded images aren't loading for me..
You really need to use imgur or something. Can't link well from the kickstarter page

Let me try to do the update with images
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update #83 May 7 2016
Promo Art, Voting, & Retail Partners!!

An Update of Major Proportions!

Hey Backers – We’ve got big, big, BIG surprises for you today! Let’s kick things off with a bang!

Check out our new cool promo art! Up until now, we’ve been using the in-game sprites to represent our cover art, or “key art”. But - just like in Pirate’s Curse, the way our sprites look in the game aren’t exactly how they appear close up. At last year’s Tokyo Game Show, Matt began working with Inti Creates and KOU (the same illustrator from Pirate’s Curse) to come up with a distinct visual style for Half-Genie Hero’s key art, and now it’s ready for you to check out!

This style will be used in close up images like talking portraits, digital cover art, or in advertisements. The new look is designed to be flashy and eye catching, and we hope you'll enjoy it as much as we do! This new “anchor image” will replace the artwork that’s been previously associated with the game, starting with this year’s E3 promotions.

VOTING TIME! A Rival Genie!

It’s time for another vote! Remember that “Fire and Forget” Stretch Goal you all funded into existence? In that storyline, Shantae gets REPLACED as Scuttle Town’s Guardian Genie. To make matter’s worse, her replacement is snotty, stuck up, and none too easy to get along with. So – what’s this new genie going to look like? You can see all three of Matt’s rough sketches above, along with the cleaned up in-game sprite designs below. Which one strikes your fancy? Vote by clicking the link right here, and make your selections by May 13th, 11:59pm PDT. Let’s get voting!

Retail Deals in the Works!

We’ve received a ton of requests for physical versions of Shantae. Thing is, WayForward is a game developer and a digital publisher – but not an authorized retail publisher. In order to make physical copies of our games for stores, or distribute games in certain countries, console manufacturers require us to work with an authorized publishing partner. You’ve seen us do this before; Square Enix published LIT for WiiWare in Japan, Capcom distributed the original Shantae cartridge in the US, and more recently Intergrow released the boxed version of Pirate’s Curse in Japan for Nintendo 3DS.

Due to the success of Half-Genie Hero's Kickstarter campaign - and the positive support from fans and press - we’ve been able to enter into discussions with top tier publishers to do the same for Half-Genie Hero. We’re extremely excited about this, but we also recognize that this might raise some questions from our Backers. So, here’s what you need to know!

- WayForward is the game’s primary publisher, same as always. You’ll still receive your download codes from WayForward, along with all of the Backer Exclusive content.
- The game’s content will not be impacted by this. Partners will be given a license to distribute the finished game as-is.
- Any extra work required for these ports will be covered by the distribution partners, not taken from your pledges.
- Please understand that WayForward is not the distributor of the physical versions, so we can't offer backers any boxed copies.

Look forward to more information as E3 draws near! It’s going to be big!
See you next update!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1567914

TheOGB

Banned
I voted for 2

But what we really need is the hair flowers from 1, the poofy pants from 2, the straps from 3 but in black, and the shoes from 3.

Cheerilee

Poofy shorts seem like a good idea for anything that isn't the tall boots. The tall boots belong with the short pants (unless you're deliberately messing with the skin exposure levels).

Hmm, #2's top is too busy (maybe change the straps from black to green and/or yellow to minimize them), but I think the straps work on #3. The shoes on #3 are also better than #2.

#1 has the short pants and tall boots, which work in the absence of poofy shorts. And it has the hair ties, which are nice, especially with the lighter weight of the short pants and minimal top (like the larger boots, the hair ties sort of add "balance weight" to an otherwise-minimal outfit).

#2 has poofy shorts, but I can't say I like the shoes or the top.

#3 seems like the best all-around choice, even if her shorts are nothing to write home about.

I'd say #3 > #1 > #2, even though the poofy shorts on #2 are a pretty strong point.

Haven't voted yet myself. Will soon.

I wish I could get #1's hair in #2's outfit

I'd go with 3 but with the footwear from 1.

ELKtcrC.jpg

I do like the floral hair ties and wish 2 had 'em too.
eIxIC5U.jpg

Hm, well I guess it's fine if you think the legs need to be covered up.

mixed versions of the three.
Would have been interesting if you could have voted for different parts of her outfit like the vote for Rottytops 's outfit

Psxphile

Update

poiAHgi.png

After a week long debate the ballots have been tabulated and the results are in! Our winner is here in all her snotty glory! Next she's off to the animators and programmers to be brought to life in game. Thank you to the 1,370 backers who participated in our 4th vote! See you next update!

The power of poofy shorts.

Psxphile

Update #85 - Shantae GO!

soLx4EY.gif

New update. They talk about taking on a new hire (Temmie from indie darling Undertale will be assisting on animation as they wrap up), supply a target release date for all platforms and territories (September 27th, 2016!) and a F.A.Q. regarding the physical release:

Xseed brings Physical Copies to the US!

Our friends at Xseed will be publishing Half-Genie Hero at US retail stores! Dubbed the “Risky Beats” edition, this version will come packaged with music from the game. It’s coming to Wii U, PS4, and Vita (pre-orders are live now, so tell your friends!). WayForward is still the primary publisher, so you’ll get Backer Rewards from us as previously planned, and Backer Exclusives are still just as exclusive as ever. In case you have questions, we’ve assembled the following FAQ for you. With this physical release now, Half-Genie Hero can reach even more players than before!

Boxed Copies - Questions and Answers:

Since E3, we’ve received a barrage of letters from folks interested in Xseed’s physical versions. We’ve replied one-one-one via social media and support, but here are answers to the most popular questions as a quick reference:

Q: Can I change my platform preference to a physical copy?

A: We can’t offer that option, because WayForward will not have the ability to distribute physical copies. However, we expect that Backer DLC will be compatible regardless of whether you bought a physical copy or downloaded the game (Example: If you have PS4 digital with Backer DLC, the PS4 disc version would have the same features unlocked). We don’t want Backers locked away from the content they’ve backed.

Q: Will the Physical Game's Soundtrack be the same as the soundtrack backers will be receiving?

A: No. Although many of the songs will be the same, the Backer CD includes backer-exclusive bonus music. Both discs are expected to look somewhat different as well.

Q: Will there be a separate music CD you can purchase for SHGH?

A: Presently there are no plans for a separate music CD.

Q: Will there be physical EU copies? Is it only in the US? Does this effect the EU release date for digital copies?

A: We have not announced a publisher for EU yet! This does not affect the target release date for EU digital. We hope to release all versions at the same time if at all possible.

Q: Is Game Stop the only place you will be able to pre-order the game? Can they be pre-ordered at EB Games in Canada? Can they be pre-ordered on Amazon?

A: No, this is not exclusive to GameStop, and you can find the pre-order on Amazon. More pre-orders should appear at various retailers during the following months.

Q:Will there be an Xbox One physical release?

A: Currently we do not have any announcements regarding Xbox One retail.

Q: Will there be another Early Access Build for backers before the game is released in September?

A: We aren't planning another update for Early Access, as we're busy preparing the final version.

Q: Will there be a Steam pre-order option?

A: Possibly. We are looking into this.

If you have a question that’s not answered here, please check out our Shantae Half Genie Hero FAQ and Support page.

CazTGG

According to Amazon, the physical release of Shantae: Half-Genie Hero has been delayed a few weeks, to October 18th. No word on if the digital version is also delayed but it's a bit of a surprise since the game is less than a month away as of this week.

Psxphile

NEW UPDATE Confirms the delays as well as canning the 360/PS3 ports

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1669641

I'm okay with this. I'll be too busy in September w/ Cold Steel II and Dragon Quest VII, so the delay works out great for me. Unfortunate about nixing last generation ports, but if true about how most backers opted for current generation hardware then maybe it's best not to expend any more resources getting the game going on older hardware.

Wonko_C

vadernoooo.gif
I nEeD my Shantae fix. I guess I'll play through Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse again. I clocked like 60 hours between both so what's one more playthrough? *eyetwitch*

NEW UPDATE Confirms the delays as well as canning the 360/PS3 ports

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/1669641

guess i'll post the whole update
---------------------------------------------------------

Update #86 Sep 1 2016 MEGA UPDATE!

Hellooooo Backers!

We hope you all had a relaxing summer and are ready to get down to business -- we’ve got a game to launch! There’s a TON of detail in today’s update – don’t blink or you’ll miss it!

Update on Release Date

First things first – we are going to have to adjust our Target Release Date, moving it back from our 9/27 Target Release date by about 6 weeks, give or take. We know this will disappoint some of you, but we feel that it’s necessary to take that extra time for bug fixing and adding additional polish. We know you want the final product to be excellent and so do we! Thanks for your patience and support as we approach the finish line!

The Game is Content Complete!

And here’s the GOOD NEWS! We’re VERY pleased to announce that Half-Genie Hero is now CONTENT COMPLETE!! In other words, the game’s development phase is over. From now through the end, our focus is entirely on fixing BUGS. The steps from this point are all by-the-book:

We continue for several weeks of intense testing on all platforms
Once verified by our internal Quality Assurance team, it’s off to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft (the 1st Party Publishers).
The 1st Party Publishers will test the game for compliance. In most cases, this is done for each territory.
When we get a green light from all 1st Party Publishers, we can build the digital storefronts and, in the case of retail versions, send the game to manufacturing.
Finally, we can select a Release Date that works for all groups involved. At that time our “Target Release Date” will be updated again, and will become the actual Release Date.

Thankfully WayForward has shipped well over 200 games. We’ve been through this process a ton of times, and are intimately familiar with the pitfalls. But pitfalls do exist. A persistent crash bug, an unexpected firmware update, rejection at any level from 1st Parties, or long waits due to the pre-holiday season... ANY combination of these things would be enough to cause a delay. If that happens, we’ll turn around a quick fix, test, resubmit, and will update Backers immediately so you know exactly where things stand. Remember that any release date you see or hear is still just a “target date”, or estimated release date, until we clear 1st Party Submissions, and lock down our launch day. It’s going to be a busy month!

Translations!

You didn’t forget that this is a world-wide launch, right? So, we need a bunch of languages! The game’s script has now been translated from English into French, Italian, German, Spanish, and Japanese! As you can probably imagine, not every joke and reference benefits from a direct translation, so we’ve been working with our Localization partners to keep the storyline and offbeat humor intact. We’ll do one more pass at languages as we sort out any text-related bugs, and discover any need to add extra hints or punch up a line of dialogue here or there.

Ratings Boards!

Yup, this update just keeps on coming. This week Half Genie Hero is packing its bags for a trip to the RATINGS BOARDS. And not just ESRB here in North America -- but every ratings board IN THE WORLD!! Well, or at least to the territories we’re shipping to. This is no small task. Every costume and pose, any implied danger, tongue-in-cheek jokes, explosions, monster-bashing, scary imagery, oofs, grunts, screams, hair whipping, belly dancing... ANYTHING that could affect the game’s final rating needs to be called out, documented, and captured in video. Ratings vary significantly from one territory to the next, so a Teen rating in one place might be a Cartoon Mischief rating in another. So don’t be too surprised if the final ratings don’t match exactly. The actual content is all the same!

Farewell to Xbox 360 and PS3

Some months back we asked you to please confirm your platform of choice, and there was a mass migration from the previous generation of consoles to Xbox One and PS4. Because we’re down to 1% of backers who still prefer Xbox 360 or PS3, we’ve made the difficult decision to cancel these versions of the game. We feel that the months it would take for the team to release these versions would be better spent on the game’s DLC, which serves the majority of Backers in the best possible way. We’ve been working through the remaining list of Backers who have no other means of enjoying the game, and are working with them one-on-one to make sure they’re taken care of in light of their very long wait for this product. If you fall into that category and have not heard from us yet, please contact us. Our goal is to make sure you can play the game, and that you are completely satisfied.

DLC Plan!

On the subject of Downloadable Content, what’s included in the “Launch Game” anyway? Answers for you! The first release of the game is what we call “Shantae Mode”. You’ll be able to play the full game, beginning to end as you would with any previous Shantae release. The base game includes all of the Bonus Chapters which were funded as Stretch Goals, nestled right into the main storyline.

After that we’ll have DLC a-plenty, arriving as quickly as we can finish it. Every DLC character has been in development for several months, and all of them are currently playable in varying stages of completion. This includes Risky Boots, Sky, Bolo, Rottytops, and also Ninja Shantae, Officer Shantae, and Beach Shantae. All “Paid DLC” will be free to Backers, naturally.

Backer Exclusive DLC like Blue Shantae, Classic Risky colors, Drifter Sword, and the Tier-Specific Tinkerbat Transformation are all currently being worked on as well. Once the game has launched, we’ll start having regular updates to detail these game-changing new characters and play styles!

WHEW!

We’re gearing up for Shantae’s first world-wide multi-console launch, and we couldn’t be more excited! Please bear with us as we wrestle this beast to the ground and try to get all of these dates and platforms to line up! It’s going to be crazy, but we’re glad to have Backers like you cheering us on! See you next update!!

CazTGG

Ah. So this is that desire to flip all the tables in the world that NMS and FFXV people felt/are in the process of feeling.

Honestly, this is pretty tame in comparison to what happened to either game since, at the very least, backers did get a demo with which to play a version of the game that, while not wholly representative of the finished product, shows a lot of promise, so a minor delay of 6 weeks or so is more than worth it to polish up the game more.

That and literally every Shantae game has seen a delay from its initial intended launch date. At this point, it would be more weird if they released it in September without any issue.

Wonko_C

I have my $20 saved for S1/2GH, but with Dodonpachi Resurrection coming early September I probably won't resist.

Oh well what's a day without eating or two.

Looks like Half-Genie Hero is hitting in December if the latest delay on Amazon is any bit accurate:
Yeah I just got that email too. Oh well, still looking forward to this! I love Shantae so I can be patient.

Also, it looks like we got confirmation (sort of) that the Kickstarter rewards will be shipping out on or near the release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom