• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shit just got real - FBI raiding college campuses arresting multiple coaches

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can understand saying "I figure penn state wasn't unique and hoped they'd caught more of the abusers that are likely out there," but damn this was some unfortunate phrasing.
Yes, it was very poor. I was in a rush and didn't really think of it.

Faddy

Banned
I just want to see the fall of Calipari and hear all the "World Wide" Wes rumors were true. Is that too much to ask?

That is a Nike shop so unless the investigation expands it seems unlikely for Calipari to be involved

edit:
Apparently some Nike guy has been arrested as well

Just for clarity, there seems to be two corruptions coming to head at once:

Financial Advisor and Agent steering, i.e. the assistant coaches, recruiters, etc., heavily recommended and steered players towards certain Financial Advisors or Agents in exchange for a kickback

and

Bribing players and their families to go to certain schools branded and sponsored by Adidas (or Nike, UA, it seems), with the expectation that they sign with that company once they go pro.

Pretty bonkers.

I mean, there was a bidding war between Nike and Adidas over a player, so depends on how deep they go down the rabbit hole.

We will see. I doubt Alabama's basketball program would be involved.

Here's the charts in the press conference

DKqZBsFWkAIJlAT

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Jim Dunaway‏
@jimdunaway
U.S. Attorney Briefing on Asst. Coaches: "violated NCAA rules and betrayed trust of their players, they committed serious financial crime""

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
While i could give two pretty cherry fucks less about college godamn ball with the world the way it is right now...

It's gonna be pretty funny to watch this whole thing fuck up some assholes lives. Get on tv and yell at your players and tell your alumni that stayin on the straight and narrow and working hard and remember to thank god when you win that shiny trophy oh yah and also Fuck you, Pay me.

Hope this turns every one of em inside out.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is *just* basketball too. Can guarantee there are football and hockey programs sweating bullets right now.

Different deals. Not saying CFB isn't shady hint it is.

Football is different though. You don't (can't) play year round. There isn't anything like AAU. Aparel means less.

It's not the same.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Fucking Lousville. Pitino should have been banned from coaching after the prostitution recruiting scandal. And Louisville's program should have been crushed.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Holy shit, we'll be feeling the ramifications of this for a while

Did you just say that apparel companies don't care about college football

Companies care about programs, but it's less about individuals. Football not really analogous to basketball in that regard.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
At what point do you just take away the entire basketball program from Louisville?

BajiBoxer

Banned
Don't mean nearly as much as sneakers do.
Yeah, good point. I see what Andodalf and you mean now. Football corruption is probably less centralized than this. Usually boosters, alumni, coaches, and individual agents acting more independantly.

Have you not watched college football? Oregon? Maryland? The many many alternate uniforms? Sponsership logos on every uniform?

There's tons of money in that, but you don't have speculation about whether a 17-year-old football player is going to be a Nike / Jordan / Adidas athlete, at least not with as much regularity or as much of a spotlight being put on it. Apparel companies care about signing football players, but they really, really care about signing basketball players.

At what point do you just take away the entire basketball program from Louisville?
Speaking as a Louisivillian with a vested interest in U of L's success, I'm not saying we wouldn't deserve it. But it does worry me that it will enable Governor Bevin to further attacking the University, one of the few powerful countervailing institutions in the state. Also it enrages me to think we might get a worse punishment than Penn State. Goddamn these corrupt coaches.

Damaniel

Banned
Just for clarity, there seems to be two corruptions coming to head at once:

Financial Advisor and Agent steering, i.e. the assistant coaches, recruiters, etc., heavily recommended and steered players towards certain Financial Advisors or Agents in exchange for a kickback

and

Bribing players and their families to go to certain schools branded and sponsored by Adidas (or Nike, UA, it seems), with the expectation that they sign with that company once they go pro.

Pretty bonkers.

Thanks for the breakdown! I'm a bit stupid, so I was stuck trying to figure out how it all fit together. Knowing that there's two separate types of corruption going on here makes it a whole lot easier to understand.

Draxal

Speaking as a Louisivillian with a vested interest in U of L's success, I'm not saying we wouldn't deserve it. But it does worry me that it will enable Governor Bevin to further attacking the University, one of the few powerful countervailing institutions in the state. Also it enrages me to think we might get a worse punishment than Penn State. Goddamn these corrupt coaches.

Yeah, Bevin seems to be a complete scumbag, I hope you guys fight him off there.

Holy shit, we'll be feeling the ramifications of this for a while

Did you just say that apparel companies don't care about college football

Apparel companies care about college football, but much less than basketball, even in the pros. This is why the biggest apparel deals in the NFL was Odell Beckham's 5yr/$25m Nike deal from this year, while Lebron James has a rumored $1billion deal with Nike, and Jordan's deal with Nike is rumored at $100m/year. Of course, Lebron and Jordan are the two biggest names in the sport, while Beckham is one of many names in the NFL, but even for the biggest name in football like Tom Brady, his under armor deal doesn't even register results in Google in dollar amounts.

Like, football is still big money... But basketball apparel with shoes is just much, much greater. For apparel, it's a much more marketed sport, and people associate individual players with brands far more. Nobody really knows what shoes, jersey, pads, helmet, etc., Antonio Brown wears, but everybody knows what shoes the major stars in the NBA wear, and they associate those people with those brands. This transcends into college too and go back decades, as everybody knew how the Fab Five dressed, what shoes they wore, how they wore their clothes, and they provoked a major change in athletic fashion... as 18 and 19 year olds.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
College basketball and the AAU infrastructure specifically has been the most corrupt of college sports for a very long time.

College Football has problems, but that is much less codified and comes down to big money donors often making one-off side deals with recruits families and not the college programs directly getting involved in brokering deals or having these sorts of formal systems in place.

The closest college football came (outside of the SMU days) was Chip Kelly and Oregon paying handlers as "recruiting analysts" 10s of thousands of dollars to grab top flight athletes from Texas. In that case, my guess is Nike was probably floating those checks.

Most college football cheating are rich alums trying to "help the team" or agents trying to steer individual athletes (Reggie Bush) and much less this kind of systemic issue. I'm honestly not surprised this is going down.

Patino survived having sex with a waitress in a restaurant and a prostitution recruiting scandal. He'll probably survive this.

Top Bottom