• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight spotted in supported Super Smash Bros. amiibo category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea if this thread has been made yet, but the Shovel Knight amiibo is apparently supported by Super Smash Bros 3DS/Wii U, and appears in the Supported amiibo category.

Here's the link: http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/games/detail/HPp-wrUaZHOKvK_GzCJ9eDkIom6x_TEA

And here's the image of Shovel Knight as a supported amiibo for fighting and customization:

65fe850d51.png

I'm guessing he's a playable character, and that this was mistakenly updated by someone working on the site. I can't imagine why else he'd be in this category. However, it could be a mistake, as his amiibo page states he isn't supported by Smash.

Lock thread if old.

EDIT: Yacht Club Games, developer of Shovel Knight confirms that it's an error: https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/653046154020556801

Would still be dumb if he got two amiibo since Nintendo wants to make one for every Smash character and the SK figure isn't a Smash line amiibo.
I imagine it's a mistake, but it looks likely that he'll be in unfortunately

Crayolan

Shit.

Well that seems pretty conclusive, can't imagine how else it'd end up there. Not that it's 100% but now it's looking pretty likely.

SoulUnison

Banned
Nothing against Shovel Knight, but I just don't get him for Smash.

He's from one game that came out just over a year ago. And it came out on everything!
You can get Shovel Knight for FireTV. The shit is FireTV!?

How is he a character with "Nintendo" history?

Sora for Smash Bros.

Codeblue

I'd be more inclined to believe that the web team screwed up rather than them knowing what's in the pipeline for Smash.

Escalario

Banned
ugh I hope not

its not even a "he's taking up a slot" thing theres just more deserving characters

This. There are thousands of better characters for DLC. If a character from an overrated af indie shit gets in, it means Sakurai has finally lost the last screw in his head.

Goodstyle

He's from one game that came out just over a year ago. And it came out on everything!

This so much. I really don't want this character in this game.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale is supposed to be the game that accepts flavour of the week type characters in their roster, but Smash? Come on.

Sora for Smash Bros.

Having history with Nintendo isn't particularly relevant. Look at Snake.

Shovel Knight = Shovel Knight Series
Falco - Mewtwo = Super Smash Bros. Series
Mega Yarn Yoshi = Yoshi's Woolly World Series

Nothing to see here.

Sora for Smash Bros.

You can get Pac-Man on plenty of terrible platforms, that really doesn't change anything.

He's a character coming from the indie scene, whose crowdfunding campaign was entirely focused on Nintendo platforms. Not to mention the fact he's an homage to the entire NES generation. Plus his popularity is unquestionable.

What's the difference between saying "he's taking up a slot" and "there's more deserving characters"?

Nothing. He just doesn't want to voice his convictions TOO firmly. God forbid we lose our heads in this thread or anyth-

Oh, oh these other salty posts. Oh my.

Never mind.

Zalman

I wish the Internet would stop rambling about every little rumor about this. Mistakes on the amiibo website are common. DuckTales Remastered was on there at one point too.

What I still don't get is if he's a playable characters was is he getting an Amiibo separate from the Smash series?

It seems odd Shovel Knight of all characters would get two Amiibos.

Zalman

What I still don't get is if he's a playable characters was is he getting an Amiibo separate from the Smash series?

It seems odd Shovel Knight of all characters would get two Amiibos.
Look at it this way: Why would Yacht Club distribute their own amiibo and license the technology from Nintendo if there was going to be a Smash version?

SoulUnison

Banned
Having history with Nintendo isn't particularly relevant. Look at Snake.

You mean how Metal Gear kind of started on the NES/Famicom (and MSX) and there had just fairly recently (in Brawl's time) been a high profile remake of Metal Gear Solid, generally considered to be a gaming classic, on Nintendo's hardware, in The Twin Snakes?

Metal Gear was there at what most people think of as Nintendo's beginning, and they'd just joined hands again on a pretty major project after about 15 years.

Also Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel, the "original" sequel to Metal Gear Solid - totally Nintendo exclusive. ... On the Game Boy Color.

But ok.
Snakes and Nintendo have no history.

I'm glad Smash has DLC characters because then we're still privy to meltdowns over character inclusions long after the game's release.

Also Shantae may've been a better 'indie' rep (though Way Forward's constant begging was getting a bit awkward), but Shovel Knight is still an excellent game and I think he'd be a weird but cool addition. It's like people already forgot about Roy in Melee or Snake in Brawl when it comes to bizarre inclusions you'd usually think were well outside the realm of Smash Bros.

Gonna assume it's a mistake as clicking the actual SK amiibo does not mention it being compatible with Smash... then again it also doesn't mention him being compatible in games like Hyrule Warriors where any amiibo work. Can see this going either way

Though Chibi Robo NOT being on this page while SK might lean a bit more to SK being in Smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom