• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight spotted in supported Super Smash Bros. amiibo category.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look at it this way: Why would Yacht Club distribute their own amiibo and license the technology from Nintendo if there was going to be a Smash version?

Because Amiibo can only have 1 game's saved data on there, and from what I understand the amiibo co-op campaign in SK on WiiU has it's own exclusive relics it saves to the amiibo itself so you'd have to have 2 SK amiibo anyways if you wanted both a Smash one and one for SK.

The Flash

Banned
I'm glad Smash has DLC characters because then we're still privy to meltdowns over character inclusions long after the game's release.

image.php

#Rash4Smash

I just want them to show off whatever so the tired arguments in both directions can cease. I don't want Shovel Knight in literally at all but if he's in, well, he's in. No point in freaking out over it. These constant "OH MY GOD RUMOR" things are just getting obnoxious at this point and it's mostly people just going stir crazy with the lack of news. Sick of it.

This. There are thousands of better characters for DLC. If a character from an overrated af indie shit gets in, it means Sakurai has finally lost the last screw in his head.

No offense, but I have to nominate this for worst post of the year. Opinions are subjective I know, but If friggin' Shovel Knight is overrated (Shovel Knight!), then we might as well not even play platformers. I can't think of one negative thing about SK; it's platforming bliss and retro revival done perfectly.

Also, he'd be a great addition to Smash. The shovel swing is a good mid range attack, the downward shovel bounce would be a great down air, he's pretty fleet for a heavy, but it's balanced by being more ground bound. And how about a Trouple King final smash in casual play? I'm excited to see how it plays out.

BTA

So either Nintendo's web design team sucks because

1) They've leaked two upcoming Smash DLC characters

or

2) They're tagging all the amiibo as compatible with Smash WiiU when some of them aren't

Do any of the animal crossing amiibo list smash?

I just checked; none of the Animal Crossing ones have it listed.

Other bizarre/notable things to point out

1) Toad is listed as a Smash series amiibo but his actual page does not list Smash as a game he's compatible with

2) The Animal Crossing amiibo and the Splatoon amiibo do NOT have Smash as a game they're compatible with

Nothing. He just doesn't want to voice his convictions TOO firmly. God forbid we lose our heads in this thread or anyth-

Oh, oh these other salty posts. Oh my.

Never mind.

There isn't.

What's the difference between saying "he's taking up a slot" and "there's more deserving characters"?

because slots arent a thing in the first place. sakurai's relatively small team taking the time and resources to implement an indie character from a one year old game instead of another nintendo character or another popular 3rd party rep is pretty foolish considering the rest of the DLC is supposed to be fanservice

but yeah im salty you figured me out guys lol

mutsu

Would make no sense whatsoever in Japan since Shovel Knight isn't even localized yet so hardly anyone knows him.

BTA

As far as my thoughts on Shovel Knight potentially being added go: I don't really have any affinity for him (I haven't played the game yet, and when I do it'll probably be on Vita), but I also think he's a pretty fitting addition if there's going to be an indie rep in the game (which is something that would be neat to see). I'd definitely prefer Quote (who'd work better with regards to global appeal) but with Shovel Knight being so popular so recently it'd make sense to have him instead.

I really REALLY care about Chibi-Robo, though. That's the one I care about not being a mistake here, because I'd definitely be hyped for him being in.

because slots arent a thing in the first place. sakurai's relatively small team taking the time and resources to implement an indie character from a one year old game instead of another nintendo character or another popular 3rd party rep is pretty foolish considering the rest of the DLC is supposed to be fanservice

but yeah im salty you figured me out guys lol

Yup. Shovel Knight is such an unpopular game. No way it has any fans that could've possibly asked for it.

Would make no sense whatsoever in Japan since Shovel Knight isn't even localized yet so hardly anyone knows him.

Roy and Lucas's games have never been officially released outside of Japan
Marth and Roy came from a series that never had a US release at that time

Obviously it's not the exact same situation, but just because the game isn't out in Japan yet doesn't mean the character can't be considered for Smash.

I don't see chibi robo on the smash compatability page. I do see shovel knight though

Click the amiibo it's listed under games he works with

Joeku

Gimme a Shovel Knight character/stage in Smash and it'll be the first DLC I buy for the game, Nintendo. I promise you that. Then I'll probably buy the rest cuz I'm an idiot completionist.

bon

Or this way: maybe they're just not going to make a Smash line amiibo for SK.

They aren't going to skip a character for the Smash Amiibo line. And a non-Nintendo character as smalltime as Shovel Knight isn't likely to get two Amiibo.

I think the answer to "Will Shovel Knight be in Smash?" has been staring us in the face for a while now.

What if Nintendo is involved in publishing Shovel Knight in Japan? Might also explain why they haven't officially revealed the Japanese publisher yet

Yup. Shovel Knight is such an unpopular game. No way it has any fans that could've possibly asked for it.

i never said that but nice job putting words in my mouth

its a relatively new game, do you honestly expect fan uproar for him to be that high compared to other characters?

Roo

Meh..
First DLC character I don't purchase then.
Not that I hate it or anything, it's just that I couldn't care less about it. Like.. He's literally mii customes tier of relevance lol

They aren't going to skip a character for the Smash Amiibo line. And a non-Nintendo character as smalltime as Shovel Knight isn't likely to get two Amiibo.

I think the answer to "Will Shovel Knight be in Smash?" has been staring us in the face for a while now.

Nintendo isn't actually making the Shovel KNight amiibo, it's just the technology bieng licensed to yacht club games. So I absolutely don't think that's a relevant point

EulaCapra

What's this about Chibi-Robo? I don't see his Amiibo listed as supported in Smash.

I already feel Shovel Knight is true for months, but I'm still a little peeved that he would get in of all indie characters especially only after one game and one year.

Joeku

i never said that but nice job putting words in my mouth

its a relatively new game, do you honestly expect fan uproar for him to be that high compared to other characters?

Meh..
First DLC character I don't purchase then.
Not that I hate it or anything, it's just that I couldn't care less about it. Like.. He's literally mii customes tier of relevance lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf-OJdvb4

Listen to that and tell me people wouldn't want a stage and character that has that feeling. Shovel Knight plays up the feeling of the 8-bit era better than anything else that tries to grab your memories and hold them hostage...it's more honest than that. It feels like a game mostly out of time; making me feel like I'm 6 again without preying on my nostalgia.

SK is more in the sprit of what "Smash Bros" is than most, and deserves to be in the game more than some characters that actually are.

EDIT: Not calling you two out specifically, just reinforcing why he belongs.

SHovel KNight is an indie who launched only on Nintendo and PC at the start, is super popular for an indie right now, and has sold half of his copies on Nintendo platforms. I think he's the best choice for an indie character in Smash right now, and given how much Nintendo's been stressing relationships with indie devs over the past few years, I think the idea that they'd give an indie spot in Smash to be fairly reasonable, especially if there was demand on the smash ballot

kirby_fox

Banned
I'll vote for site mistake.

I have a feeling the site was initially set in a way so that all amiibo automatically were compatible with Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom