• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight spotted in supported Super Smash Bros. amiibo category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

I hope the rumoured direct this week is true.
The rumored Direct is supposed to be Splatoon-specific. And if I recall, the rumored character that we're supposed to be getting in the near future is supposed to be a first party newcomer.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The rumored Direct is supposed to be Splatoon-specific. And if I recall, the rumored character that we're supposed to be getting in the near future is supposed to be a first party newcomer.

A splatoon specific Direct?

Why!?

Neoxon

What rumored character?
Apparently RogersBase (former NoA employee), Stealth, Shofu, & one other person know who the next DLC character is. What I gathered from the tweets was that, if they're not trolling us, is that...
  • This character is a newcomer.
  • This character is popular, but may not be the #1 character on the ballot.
  • This character would make a lot of buzz in social media.
  • This character is a first-party character.
  • This character's inclusion shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
One of our own, NotLiquid, also did a recap on the rumor.
So just to recap on what we know so far -

Roger over at Roger's Base, a person who is seemingly known to have sources within NoA, tweeted about learning some really exciting Nintendo news that he's not allowed to come out with. However, within some closer circle of his it seems like the news spread a little bit, and at least Stealth (another person who has had industry sources in the past) and Zef (a Smash scener) have seemingly found out about the news from him. It should be noted that those two are the only ones who explicitly mentioned it to be Smash news and that Roger hasn't mentioned anything about it being Smash (also pointing out that he doesn't know anything of the Smash Ballot's outcome). That said, a tweet aimed at Shofu did hint at another "Japan Time" going down. Zef also made the point that this information ain't likely to leak unless the source comes clear with it, as there was nothing recovered from the last patch to suggest that the character is hidden away like Roy/Ryu. Warchamp7 (SmashBoards admin) also seems to think Zef as a trustworthy source since he acknowledged the mills they were spinning. Either way, all signs point to this being some kind of Smash news and that it has to do with a Nintendo newcomer who is likely to cause a lot of buzz despite not necessarily being the most voted for.

"So why do we assume it's Splatoon?"

The game is evidently poised for another major update soon as the person who has been datamining the game for a while is expecting a major update to hit in mid-October, and that might have to do with Octolings being playable in the game. That said, with the Smash rumors now circulating, they seem to be convinced that this is going to result in a major Splatoon Direct that details the news and reveals them as a playable character for Smash. Again, this is speculation, but what it boils down to is basically a truckload of "where there's smoke, there's fire". With the Inklings meeting all the checkboxes that the tweets mention it seems like something bigger might be in store. GameXplain also raised the point that Nintendo don't really have much of a holiday schedule at all so it'd make a lot of sense to leverage their existing products (Smash, Splatoon) with a lot of DLC going into the holidays.

I don't know where that leaves the Shovel Knight rumor personally. I could make the assumption that if he is in he'll be slated as one of the "ballot newcomers" maybe later next year. It seems somewhat reasonable that he might still exist in some form (especially considering how passive Yacht have been in regards to talking about the ballot compared to WayForward who wouldn't shut the fuck up about it and begged people even in Kickstarter e-mails to vote for Shantae) but that if that would ever be true, it would still be ways off. I'm personally indifferent about the veracity of that rumor though.

Incidentally as I'm writing this, Smash is scheduled for another online maintenance tomorrow. Presumably something to do with that 1.1.2. Diddy patch.
All of the points mentioned, plus the rumored Splatoon Direct that's supposed to go down in the near future, seem to indicate that the character are the Inklings.

A splatoon specific Direct?

Why!?
Supposedly we're gonna get a huge Splatoon update in the near future that includes 4 new stages & playable Octolings.

Nanashrew

Banned
Stealth is a cool guy. He's tried to make a GAF account before but the site won't let him. Don't think he has plans to really try again though.

Also Neoxon, what's the "Roger Base (former NoA emploee)" thing about? That can't be right.

Neoxon

Stealth is a cool guy. He's tried to make a GAF account before but the site won't let him. Don't think he has plans to really try again though.

Also Neoxon, what's the "Roger Base (former NoA emploee)" thing about? That can't be right.
RogersBase used to work at Nintendo of America & still has some contacts within the company. That being said, if they're just yanking our chain remains to be seen. Though Roger has retweeted a number of these other Twitter accounts.

Apparently RogersBase (former NoA employee), Stealth, Shofu, & one other person know who the next DLC character is. What I gathered from the tweets was that, if they're not trolling us, is that...
  • Although one of the guys promptly deleted the tweet, the character is not Wolf, Shovel Knight, or Shantae.
All of the points mentioned, plus the rumored Splatoon Direct that's supposed to go down in the near future, seem to indicate that this character are the Inklings.

Supposedly we're gonna get a huge Splatoon update in the near future that includes 4 new stages & playable Octolings.

Thanks for summarizing this, I watched the gamexplain video but missed the discussion/break down on gaf. Though looking at that criteria I feel it could be quiet a few characters not just an Inkling though I totally get why that makes the most sense. Any Smash newcomer will make a big splash on social media and quiet a few first party characters "make a lot of sense".

BlackJace

I don't even care, I'd play as him. This whole whining about slots is so old, treating it as if slots are actually a real thing.

Neoxon

Thanks for summarizing this, I watched the gamexplain video but missed the discussion/break down on gaf. Though looking at that criteria I feel it could be quiet a few characters not just an Inkling though I totally get why that makes the most sense. Any Smash newcomer will make a big splash on social media and quiet a few first party characters "make a lot of sense".
Not a whole lot of characters fit all of the criteria. Maybe Dixie Kong, but she isn't as much of a foregone conclusion as the Inklings.

Not a whole lot of characters fit all of the criteria. Maybe Dixie Kong, but she isn't as much of a foregone conclusion as the Inklings.

K Rool would have been my first conclusion pre splatoon speculation part followed by Ridley. Love them or hate them those two characters draw an insane amonunt of discussion anywhere they got and make "a lot of sense" as Nintendo first party characters. Heck the social media part is kind of why my initial reaction wasn't the inklings as I feel the reaction would largely be "cool that makes sense".

To people saying "why Shovel Knight? He was in ONE game a year ago on all platforms!" That Snake ever appeared should be proof positive that Sakurai isn't a strict rules marm about third-party characters. Sure, Kojima's done some work with Nintendo on MGS (Twin Snakes), but Snake got in as a favour. If a Sony-focused character can get into a Nintendo-made game, then I think a character who launched first on Nintendo and was met with tons of praise at a time when Nintendo is really looking to court indie developers can get in, too.

"Junior." Opposed to veteran, world renowned NeoGaffer akidnamedaddy,

I dunno if it's more obnoxious that he tried to use his tag as an insult, or that he said "role" instead of "roll."

I'd say people were more okay with Snake because MGS is still a big gaming franchise.

To me, it's not an issue of "is this character super highly associated with Nintendo enough" as much as "Is this character a big name in the industry". Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu, Mega Man and even Snake all qualify for the latter. They're famous enough to warrant "invading" a Nintendo based game like this. I don't think Shovel Knight is.

Hatchtag

Banned
Part of me wonders if this is going to be like the footage leaking of the last Smash 4 newcomers, where some of ya'll sons of bitches had it beforehand it but weren't telling people. Don't think I forgot about the IRC chats SmashGAF. I know ya'll sons of bitches have held out on us before :p.

I'd say people were more okay with Snake because MGS is still a big gaming franchise.

To me, it's not an issue of "is this character super highly associated with Nintendo enough" as much as "Is this character a big name in the industry". Sonic, Pac-Man, Ryu, Mega Man and even Snake all qualify for the latter. They're famous enough to warrant "invading" a Nintendo based game like this. I don't think Shovel Knight is.

But I have to ultimately assume that the size of the franchise was only incidental. It was a nice excuse to add a character to make his friend happy. Shovel Knight is basically a mascot of sorts for Nintendo's indie gaming initiative, and his inclusion in Smash would serve as a great representative for indie games. Are we really opposed to indie games having a representative? If not, what would be a better pick? Shantae, or Commander Video, or Quote? Would those have much more significance or value in Smash than Shovel Knight?

All of the points mentioned, plus the rumored Splatoon Direct that's supposed to go down in the near future, seem to indicate that the character are the Inklings.

Nice summary, thanks.

Inkling would be a pretty great inclusion. I just hope that the 3DS doesn't limit them in terms of mechanics, that would suck ass. :v

I wonder how far the DLC will go? I can't imagine that Wolf won't be added since he's a poll topper (if they'd bring back Roy and Lucas, they'd definitely bring back Wolf IMO). I believe in Shovel Knight's addition absolutely, too. I almost have to wonder if Sakurai isn't going to pick the Inklings as the "Ballot winner." While it definitely isn't #1., I have to imagine that they ranked very highly.

Ultimately DLC gotta be

Inkling
Shovel Knight
Wolf
King K. Rool
Chibi-Robo
Isaac
Tap Girl
Professor Layton

Perfect for pragmatic me. For selfish me?

Inkling
Shovel Knight
Chibi-Robo
Tap Girl
Captain Syrup
Kumatora
Tingle
Great Tiger

Panel de Pon waould be a pretty good mobile game I think

Yup. It's very adaptable too, so Nintendo could add different skins for people to use that you can either unlock or buy. Pokémon, Yoshi, Panel de Pon, etc. (though I imagine Pokémon would be the default). It'd also be a good way to introduce people to various smaller IPs.

fhqwhgads

I'm sorry but this is really looking desperate now. Every time there's a teeny tiny little scrap of something a thread is made with "OMG SHOVEL KNIGHT TOTALLY CONFIRMED" It's getting really old now and all it does it turn into ballot wars with "Well my character is way more deserving than your character because of X Y and Z". Stop making these threads and wait until the ballot result please.

I'm sorry but this is really looking desperate now. Every time there's a teeny tiny little scrap of something a thread is made with "OMG SHOVEL KNIGHT TOTALLY CONFIRMED" It's getting really old now and all it does it turn into ballot wars with "Well my character is way more deserving than your character because of X Y and Z". Stop making these threads and wait until the ballot result please.

It would be one thing if it was "just one thing." But it's like, over and over again.

1. Shovel Knight got an amiibo
2. Shovel Knight was said by multiple(?) trustworthy sources to be DLC
3. Shovel Knight listed as an amiibo that can be trained. Could be an error, sure, but it'd be an error that serves as yet another suspicion for people that he is going to be playable.

Acerac

Banned

That's not actually what the OP says though. The most sure thing he says is that he thinks this may mean he's in which is hardly "OMG SHOVEL KNIGHT TOTALLY CONFIRMED".

At any rate I thought SK showing up on the screen was an interesting tidbit. I disagree that this board would be better served without this thread, though if you're really annoyed by it you can download the addon for your browser to block threads? That's what I do for all the community threads that get left in gaming and off topic, it's really handy.

Clearly Wonder Red is in.

Pretty sure this is conformation for K Rool don't be foolish.

NotLiquid

I was fairly excited about Shovel Knight a month or so ago but with the idea that Inklings might be the next ones coming up I'm going to be a little bit disappointed if it's not them that will be revealed next.

Smash4 has more rumors surrounding it the Hot Stove in baseball or NBA free agency...

Smash is in a complete league of it's own compared to anything when it comes to hype. There's nothing in gaming quite like it.

Now that DLC is a thing for it, the floodgates are only getting blown more wide open.

also

Banned
I'm in the camp that says SK doesn't deserve a spot; no special ties with Nintendo and no historical importance. It's just another competent 2D side scroller and no matter how good or amazing it is, that's not nearly enough to warrant a character slot in Smash.

You could grit all the roads in the US with the amount of salt SSB Shovel Knight rumours get.

We could get a much lauded indie icon that basically made the Wii U/3DS a great place for indies, who also happens to have a fantastic potential moveset.

OR

We get a fat alligator.
Yeah, you're going to have to explain how exactly it did that.
I would say that Nintendo's indie friendly policies and free Unity did that and not a single game.

Kouichi

If that Shovel Knight rumor ends up false, this would be such a hilarious coincidence haha

Perhaps I'm letting my hype get to my reasoning, but I want to say the Yatch Club tweet is trying to be tricky. Of course it's an error, he hasn't been revealed yet! Nah I think I'm going to far heh

MrBadger

I like how "there are more deserving characters" is becoming the new "slots". What are these characters? Because I mostly only ever see characters from franchises that are already very represented, characters that wouldn't really work and obscure characters from franchises that haven't had new games in ages. Oh, and cut vets, but who wants boring old clones like Wolf and Snake?
/s

Really, all a character needs to be deserving is whether or not they're a good character or whether or not they'd work well in Smash. And Shovel Knight would absolutely work.

jeffers

It would be one thing if it was "just one thing." But it's like, over and over again.

1. Shovel Knight got an amiibo
2. Shovel Knight was said by multiple(?) trustworthy sources to be DLC
3. Shovel Knight listed as an amiibo that can be trained. Could be an error, sure, but it'd be an error that serves as yet another suspicion for people that he is going to be playable.

if the amiibo were part of it, why is yacht club having to pay to make it? why would nintendo make a huge deal of the first third party amiibo when they are then going to pull it into their main game and main product line.

I like how "there are more deserving characters" is becoming the new "slots". What are these characters? Because I mostly only ever see characters from franchises that are already very represented, characters that wouldn't really work and obscure characters from franchises that haven't had new games in ages. Oh, and cut vets, but who wants boring old clones like Wolf and Snake?
/s

Really, all a character needs to be deserving is whether or not they're a good character or whether or not they'd work well in Smash. And Shovel Knight would absolutely work.

Yup. The excuses to categorize deserving and undeserving is rather tiresome.

1. "What would [x] even do?"
2. "It's NINTENDO All-Stars, no third-parties allowed"
3. "A character that got cut won't be brought back, there's no way"
4. "[x] stole [y]'s slot!"
5. "Who?"
6. "Not popular enough"
7. "[x] hasn't been in a recent game"
8. "Sakurai wouldn't put Wolf before K. Rool"
9. "R.O.B.???? LAMO fake."
10. "Mr. Game & Watch?? No way"
11. "Ganondorf can't be a clone of Captain Falcon"
12. "Up until now means Ness is cut"
13. "One character per third-party"
14. "Dark Pit is stupid they wouldn't add him"
15. "No real connection with Nintendo"

The last one is of course referring to one of the latest strings of arguments re: entitlement to a slot. Ryu may have hit his stride on Nintendo, but Capcom hasn't given Nintendo a non-port Street Fighter since the SNES. Snake may have had MGS Twin Snakes, and some people may have controlled him for the first time on NES, but he's a hugely Sony-focused character. From the NES to the Wii, Nintendo has gotten all of two MGS games. Meanwhile, Shovel Knight launched on the Wii U and 3DS, most people who own Shovel Knight own it on the Wii U or 3DS, and Shovel Knight has an amiibo (unless I'm mistaken, Shovel Knight is the only third-party character to have an amiibo but not be playable in Smash Bros.). That seems about in-line with what Snake brings to the table in terms of Nintendo history, so "relevance to Nintendo" is trash-tier argument here. :v

if the amiibo were part of it, why is yacht club having to pay to make it? why would nintendo make a huge deal of the first third party amiibo when they are then going to pull it into their main game and main product line.

It's not uncommon for amiibo to have a Smash version and a non-Smash version. Further, how do we know that Nintendo didn't assist in funding it?

Illucio

Banned
The same mistakes are listed and found in other Amiibo's like Dr. Mario listed in Splatoon or Chibi Robo for Brawl.
Means nothing.

jholmes

But Snake already has an amiibo,

snake-ef7054c2a2638ffe2071bce43846ac5c5de7700514b1947bb3be8cbd5653da7f.png

I miss Metal Gear's Snake in Smash.

Wait, they put a Final Fantasy character in the Animal Crossing amiibo cards?

jeffers

Yup. The excuses to categorize deserving and undeserving is rather tiresome.

1. "What would [x] even do?"
2. "It's NINTENDO All-Stars, no third-parties allowed"
3. "A character that got cut won't be brought back, there's no way"
4. "[x] stole [y]'s slot!"
5. "Who?"
6. "Not popular enough"
7. "[x] hasn't been in a recent game"
8. "Sakurai wouldn't put Wolf before K. Rool"
9. "R.O.B.???? LAMO fake."
10. "Mr. Game & Watch?? No way"
11. "Ganondorf can't be a clone of Captain Falcon"
12. "Up until now means Ness is cut"
13. "One character per third-party"
14. "Dark Pit is stupid they wouldn't add him"
15. "No real connection with Nintendo"

The last one is of course referring to one of the latest strings of arguments re: entitlement to a slot. Ryu may have hit his stride on Nintendo, but Capcom hasn't given Nintendo a non-port Street Fighter since the SNES. Snake may have had MGS Twin Snakes, and some people may have controlled him for the first time on NES, but he's a hugely Sony-focused character. From the NES to the Wii, Nintendo has gotten all of two MGS games. Meanwhile, Shovel Knight launched on the Wii U and 3DS, most people who own Shovel Knight own it on the Wii U or 3DS, and Shovel Knight has an amiibo (unless I'm mistaken, Shovel Knight is the only third-party character to have an amiibo but not be playable in Smash Bros.). That seems about in-line with what Snake brings to the table in terms of Nintendo history, so "relevance to Nintendo" is trash-tier argument here. :v

It's not uncommon for amiibo to have a Smash version and a non-Smash version. Further, how do we know that Nintendo didn't assist in funding it?
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...w-the-shovel-knight-amiibo-came-to-exist.aspx
"Though the Amiibo is licensed by Nintendo, the figure is produced and sold by Yacht Club Games, differentiating it as the inaugural third-party Amiibo in addition to being the first Amiibo for an independent game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom