• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight spotted in supported Super Smash Bros. amiibo category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dug

Banned
I'm fine with Shovel Knight getting in. Seems like he could have an interesting moveset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You should put Chibi-Robo in the OP, too.
HFH6UXm.png

http://www.nintendo.com/amiibo/detail/chibi-robo-amiibo-chibi-robo-series

I highly doubt this means anything, though. Someone probably just messed up with the website.

Don't some of those games work with literally any amiibo? I know Hyrule warriors gives you random items for any amiibo

I'll vote for site mistake.

I have a feeling the site was initially set in a way so that all amiibo automatically were compatible with Smash.

But why are there no other "unrelated" amiibo in the smash compatability page? Animal crossing amiibos and toad aren't on there for example

Don't some of those games work with literally any amiibo? I know Hyrule warriors gives you random items for any amiibo

Yes, which is partially weird why SK does not list any games other then SK Wiiu/3ds as games it'll work with

But why are there no other "unrelated" amiibo in the smash compatability page? Animal crossing amiibos and toad aren't on there for example

Same reason Toad is listed as a smash series amiibo on the main amiibo page and not a super mario series amiibo, someone sucks at their job

Nanashrew

Banned
SHovel KNight is an indie who launched only on Nintendo and PC at the start, is super popular for an indie right now, and has sold half of his copies on Nintendo platforms. I think he's the best choice for an indie character in Smash right now, and given how much Nintendo's been stressing relationships with indie devs over the past few years, I think the idea that they'd give an indie spot in Smash to be fairly reasonable, especially if there was demand on the smash ballot

Wayforward has been pushing for Shantae the entire year everyday non-stop and retweeting supporters since the ballot opened. I think Shantae might even have a chance.

Tyeforce

Yes, but look at those games. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is one of them. The Chibi-Robo amiibo doesn't actually work with Smash Bros., though, so it shouldn't be listed there. This and the Shovel Knight listing are almost surely just errors and not hinting at any upcoming DLC.

Sterok

Whatever the truth is for Shovel Knight, Chibi-Robo, and I guess Toad, there is only one obvious conclusion that can be drawn from all this. Nintendo really needs to fire whatever intern is running these pages.

i never said that but nice job putting words in my mouth

its a relatively new game, do you honestly expect fan uproar for him to be that high compared to other characters?

No, because we've already seen mewtwo, ryu, Lucas and Roy added. Not saying there's not more, obviously Chibi Robo and K. Rool are fan favorites, but depending on licensing and game design (such as movesets, music, stages) this could be easier to implement. Couple that with the open suggestions they were taking which opened the inclusion of Ryu, I can definitely see how they might be eyeing Shovel Knight.

Yes, but look at those games. Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is one of them. The Chibi-Robo amiibo doesn't actually work with Smash Bros., though, so it shouldn't be listed there. This and the Shovel Knight listing are almost surely just errors and not hinting at any upcoming DLC.

Yeah, possibly.

It's also worth noting both of them are under the super mario maker page despite no costumes at the moment.

Toxi

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1kf-OJdvb4

Listen to that and tell me people wouldn't want a stage and character that has that feeling. Shovel Knight plays up the feeling of the 8-bit era better than anything else that tries to grab your memories and hold them hostage...it's more honest than that. It feels like a game mostly out of time; making me feel like I'm 6 again without preying on my nostalgia.

SK is more in the sprit of what "Smash Bros" is than most, and deserves to be in the game more than some characters that actually are.
You know what'd be great? An electric guitar version of the Polar Knight theme.

This. There are thousands of better characters for DLC. If a character from an overrated af indie shit gets in, it means Sakurai has finally lost the last screw in his head.

Pfffft hahaha. This place sometimes, good lord. I kind of hope every DLC character is from an indie game now.

Chibi Robo would be nice, though.

Tyeforce

Same reason Toad is listed as a smash series amiibo on the main amiibo page and not a super mario series amiibo, someone sucks at their job
25gYQ6J.png

Ha, I haven't noticed that before. There are quite a few errors on the amiibo website. Yeah, I wouldn't think much about it.

bon

Nintendo isn't actually making the Shovel KNight amiibo, it's just the technology bieng licensed to yacht club games. So I absolutely don't think that's a relevant point

But why would Yacht Club go to the trouble to license a Shovel Knight Amiibo if he was going to be in Smash, which would inevitably lead to a Shovel Knight Amiibo?

Kinsei

Banned
Can't say I'm happy with this if it turns out to be true and not a mistake. I love Shovel Knight and all, but there have been no first party newcomers as DLC so yet another third party character rubs me the wrong way. I guess if Chibi-Robo really is in then that makes it a bit better but two third party characters to one first party character isn't a ratio I like.

But why would Yacht Club go to the trouble to license a Shovel Knight Amiibo if he was going to be in Smash, which would inevitably lead to a Shovel Knight Amiibo?

Perhaps the decision was made later after they'd already started on their own. It's also a way to make a bit more revenue for them, since they'll be working on free dlc for quite a while with the plague knight dlc that just came out, and two more campaigns on the way

Toxi

Banned
Guys, don't get your hopes up. The people programming the web site do not know the next character in Smash Bros.

Nanashrew

Banned
I want to see the shovel drop pogo implemented in some bizarre fashion.

And digging up treasure.

Down B digs up treasure which also acts like a projectile. Forward B is a variation of that but acts like Mario's cape and knocks projectiles back in a lob.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Nothing against Shovel Knight, but I just don't get him for Smash.

He's from one game that came out just over a year ago. And it came out on everything!
You can get Shovel Knight for FireTV. The shit is FireTV!?

How is he a character with "Nintendo" history?

Sora for Smash Bros.

almost got me, until I saw the spoiler. good one

Hylian7

ugh I hope not

its not even a "he's taking up a slot" thing theres just more deserving characters
That sounds like a "he's taking up a slot thing"
Nothing against Shovel Knight, but I just don't get him for Smash.

He's from one game that came out just over a year ago. And it came out on everything!
You can get Shovel Knight for FireTV. The shit is FireTV!?

How is he a character with "Nintendo" history?
How is Pac Man a character with "Nintendo" history? Pac Man didn't really get his fame from Nintendo consoles. Is there some invisible "years of existence" requirement?

These reactions are so similar to Wii Fit Trainer being announced.
This. There are thousands of better characters for DLC. If a character from an overrated af indie shit gets in, it means Sakurai has finally lost the last screw in his head.
Overrated? Lol? I mean many people here on GAF don't like Wii Fit, does that mean WFT shouldn't have been in?

You could say the same for tons of characters in the game. Honestly Sakurai has explained before that characters aren't necessarily based on "slots". There wasn't some whiteboard at Sora or Namco that had Dark Pit and Ridley on it while saying " WELL WE GOTTA ERASE ONE OF THEM! " and Sakurai chose to keep Dark Pit.

L Thammy

Guys, don't get your hopes up. The people programming the web site do not know the next character in Smash Bros.

Remember, Sakurai's a known perfectionist control freak. There's a good chance that he updated the Amiibo page himself.

Zyrox

I don't think Shovel Knight has any chance to get in.

1) He's an Indie character, with one multiplatform game (that sold 700k copies) under his belt. I'm pretty sure from a business standpoint they'd want characters with larger exposure, esp. among Nintendo fans.

2) He has no presence in Japan

3) All the 3rd party reps so far are massive VG icons with a huge history. Shovel Knight doesn't fit here.

4) Why would Yacht Club games go through the hoops of getting an Amiibo made for him if all Smash Brothers characters are getting an Amiibo anyway?

I think this is a site mistake.

kirby_fox

Banned

They were coded correctly so they didn't appear on the page. You can have workarounds.

They likely have more than one person doing website updates and likely having it happen at the same time. So what happens is you get person A updating version 1, and person B updating version 1 at the same time. Person 1 fixes the code on one page they were given so everything is correct as it should be. Person B fixes code somewhere else and then uploads over Person 1's new code. Now a lot of what Person 1 did is gone, and the site gets broken.

Without proper communication this is easy to do.

@MUWANdo

Banned
How is Pac Man a character with "Nintendo" history? Pac Man didn't really get his fame from Nintendo consoles. Is there some invisible "years of existence" requirement?

There are quite a few Nintendo-exclusive Pac-Man games even now, including one designed by Miyamoto.

Toxi

Banned
People arguing about importance are missing the point.

Fans want Shovel Knight because he's awesome and his game is awesome. That's basically it. And it's good enough reason as any.
mario-kart-arcade-gp.jpg

Celegus

Can't help it you don't like good games. Seriously though, even if it's not your style of game, there is precious little even wrong with Shovel Knight. No clue how someone could even call it a bad game.

SoulUnison

Banned
almost got me, until I saw the spoiler. good one

Nearly half the Kingdom Hearts series has been on Nintendo handhelds.
Chain of Memories was the series first "real" sequel, and it was on the GBA.
Because of the "have to keep up" nature of the storyline, every Nintendo installment has been an "important" entry.

Pac-Man is just a straight up "Gaming" icon. He *does* have Nintendo history, but his own recognition puts him up there with Mario, anyway.
Having him on the roster just boosts Smash's pedigree of being a who's who of the best of gaming history.

These reactions are so similar to Wii Fit Trainer being announced.

I loved the idea of Wii Fit Trainer. It was about as close to a "Wii" mascot as you could get without the obvious choice of the Miis - and we got three different flavors of those, as a bonus!
Plus the calming, vaguely malicious nature of her/his characterization never fails to make me laugh.

Forkball

Like many have said, it's probably an error. Although since there are now like a billion amiibos, many which do not have a Smash character, perhaps a future update will utilize these non-Smash amiibos in different ways. Maybe it unlocks some costumes, or a bunch of custom moves, or trophies.

I didn't vote for him, but I'd love to play as SK. He'd have a cool move-set and did get his start on Nintendo platforms. I'm actually a bit surprised Nintendo didn't tie up that game's exclusivity right off the bat. Game was dope.

Platy

I rather have Commander Video or Shantae representing indies ... but SHovel Knight is like the next best thing.

His game is awesome and is basicaly a NES love letter.

....so any news from Tamaki ? xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom