• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

btf1980

Davidion said:
Very nice set of gear. How do you like the 650 vs. 701? I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the former at month's end.

I prefer the 650's. The 701's are awesome, but they are a bit "airy". The 650's sound more robust and full. They sound good with anything. The K701 sounds a bit thin with bass heavy music, but phenomenal with female vocals. The 650's are better "everyday" headphones. Tubes are a must with the 701's to get the most out of them. I learned after using just about every solid state head amp without satisfaction.

Davidion

btf1980 said:
I prefer the 650's. The 701's are awesome, but they are a bit "airy". The 650's sound more robust and full. They sound good with anything. The K701 sounds a bit thin with bass heavy music, but phenomenal with female vocals. The 650's are better "everyday" headphones. Tubes are a must with the 701's to get the most out of them. I learned after using just about every solid state head amp without satisfaction.

Precisely what I'm looking for. Got a pair of HD595s and A900's and am not planning to go tube at all. Thanks for the recommendations sir.

swoon

btf1980 said:

the 701s are really really dependent on amps. i got the first when i had a little dot II and thought the same as you did about them. as i progressed through amps (currently on a upgraded wooaudio 2) the sound fills out - the bass is controlled and musical and it feels well rounded than the 650s, something i wouldn't have thought I'd say when i first bought them.

Windu said:
I got a new computer yesterday so I thought I might update my stuff:

34ni92a.jpg

^My old computer had a celeron proccesor with 1.5 GB or Ram and a Geforce 5550 video card. I love this upgrade. :D

I downloaded a demo of Crysis and I was able to run it at medium settings. Awesome game, probably going to buy it. Another funny thing, my old computer ran WoW with every thing at min. Now I have everything maxxed out! :D

Nice, I have the same computer, but I got it when they first came out so mine has a coupel of 8800GTs and a 2.4GHz Quad Core CPU. Still, mine only scored a 5 on the little Windows test thing... I am about to upgrade to 4GBs of RAM, wonder if that will make a difference (since RAM is supposedly what's holding the score back), but I'm sure your video card probably has quite a bit to do with it too. I'll never buy an SLI/Crossfire set up again because it's not worth it.

btf1980 said:
My set-up before the upgrades begin...

Pioneer Kuro Plasma 5010FD
Bowers & Wilkins CM7 - Fronts
Bowers & Wilkins CM1 - Rears
Bowers & Wilkins CMC - Center
Rel T2 - Sub
Rotel RMB-1075 Power Amplifier
Marantz SR-7002 - (As preamp only - until my Marantz AV8003 arrives)
Marantz DV-7001 - (SACD, DVD-A, DTS discs mainly)
Denon 2500BTCI - (blu-ray player)
Oppo HM-31 (3x1 HDMI Switch)
Toshiba HD-A35 - (hd dvd player)
Richard Gray RGPC 400 Pro
Aloia 11.0 CDP - Italian CD Player & DAC
AKG K701
Sennheiser HD650
Little Dot MK3 - Tube Amplifier
Pro-Ject Phonobox - Phono Preamp
Pro-Ject Speedbox
Project Debut III Turntable (Red)
Apple TV 160GB
Playstation 3 60GB
Xbox 360 (Halo 3 Edition)

choice gear. How do you like your REL's?

btf1980

swoon said:
the 701s are really really dependent on amps. i got the first when i had a little dot II and thought the same as you did about them. as i progressed through amps (currently on a upgraded wooaudio 2) the sound fills out - the bass is controlled and musical and it feels well rounded than the 650s, something i wouldn't have thought I'd say when i first bought them.

Haven't heard any Woo Audio amps, but they are highly regarded on head-fi.

btf1980

Giant Robot said:
choice gear. How do you like your REL's?

I think Rels are some of the best subs bar none on the market. I previously had a B&W PV1 sub which was fine, but the REL is simply better all around. Clean, clear, deep bass. It's also very musical...works quite well with stereo and multichannel.

InfectedZero said:

Thinking plasmas are bad for gaming is old hat, they dont burn in as much as they used to and have a way higher refreshrate than lcds anyway so you never have ghosting. a couple people posted Kuro (one of the best plasma lines out there) and the pq coming out of that tv is godly compared to low end lcd like vizio.

joelseph

Zoe said:

I love the entire look of the room.

I live in a garden apartment with white walls and the same color hardwood floors and black leather couches! That wallpaper looks so dope in this setup, I yearn for it.

Crappy pics. I know.

no1nameyp8.jpg

nonamepg9.jpg

no2namevc4.jpg

34439eg.jpg

Centurion 5 case
Gigabyte P35-DS3L Mobo
E8400 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA 8800GT Superclocked
4GB G Skill 800Mhz RAM (3.6GB under Vista 32-bit)
OCZ GameXStream 600W PSU
Western Digital 320GB 7200rpm HDD
Seagate Barracuda 120GB 7200rpm HDD
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink

19" 16:10 Westinghouse L1916HW 1680*1050
19" 5:4 Hanns-G JC199D 1280*1024
Logitech G5 Mouse
Logitech Internet 350 Keyboard
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers

Alright I thought i would finally throw up my gaming setup here on GAF.

This isthe gaming setup I have in my actual room. Kinda messy, yes I know I should take better care of my orange box.

Top Half

DSC00003.jpg

Bottom Half

DSC00002.jpg

A pic of my setup + computer

DSC00001.jpg

And this is my living room where I do the majority of my game playing.

DSC00004.jpg

purg3

slept with Malkin
Damn, what the hell happened to your 360? :lol

Also @buffi-love the look of your room, wallpaper is awesome.

purg3 said:
Damn, what the hell happened to your 360? :lol

Also @buffi-love the look of your room, wallpaper is awesome.

The disc needs help spinning upon startup and I got sick up taking everything off and putting it back together so..... yea :D

Danielsan

BakedPigeon said:
The disc needs help spinning upon startup and I got sick up taking everything off and putting it back together so..... yea :D
So every time you want to play a game you need to give the disc a good whirl? :lol

Danielsan said:
So every time you want to play a game you need to give the disc a good whirl? :lol

Yep. Ill be damned if I'm forking over $80.00 to MS to fix their shity hitachi drives. I just need to get a drive of ebay or something. Oh well for now it works just fine by manually spinning it on startup.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
BakedPigeon said:
Yep. Ill be damned if I'm forking over $80.00 to MS to fix their shity hitachi drives. I just need to get a drive of ebay or something. Oh well for now it works just fine by manually spinning it on startup.

Next-gen gaming confirmed. So real, you gotta spin the bitch up to get it started!

But, honestly, you should've just posted that one picture. That would've won the thread in all sorts of ways. I salute you fine sir.

Davidion

BakedPigeon said:

Holy shit, that's the most ghetto fabulous gaming-related thing I've ever heard of. Pat yourself on the back for that one, seriously.

Cronen

Like I said in the Pick-Up Post Topic, I'm moving house next week so hopefully that'll be a good time to take a picture of my new 'student' gaming setup.

Brandson

My new gaming setup:

2818677847_b0b2af367b_o.jpg

I'm waiting on going multichannel until I get a larger space. Been playing a lot of Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds on this lately. :D

allreal

Brandson said:
My new gaming setup:

I'm waiting on going multichannel until I get a larger space. Been playing a lot of Hot Shots Golf Out of Bounds on this lately. :D

*claps* amazing. i like your coffetable/ottoman. so nice. gorgeous setup. one day i will have one just as nice.

Yama

I'd say this is 30-35% of my collection, with the rest being in storage upstate. Living in Manhattan NYC I don't have much room, so I had to leave everything pre-PSX in addition to countless other gaming related things. (I want my Master System 3D Glasses! :lol) Since I don't have a ton of space, I thoughtfuly organized things and tried to make it feel as roomy, yet as accessible as possible.

My room:

Room1.jpg

Desk:

Room8.jpg

My "favorites" shelf, where I keep the games I play most or recently. Including the current generation consoles, Blu-Ray's and my J-Horror films.

Room2.jpg

Single disc PlayStation titles go here:

Room5.jpg

Across from my bed...

Room3.jpg

A rediculously huge 46" Bravia XBR-3 in my face ^.^

Room4.jpg

(360, PS3, Wii, Biohazard Claire Dreamcast, HD Camera, HD Box hooked up with extreme wire hiding.

Before we exit my room, my buddies:

Room7.jpg

Here is my godsend, an additional walk-in closet a few steps down the hall:

Left shelf:

Room10.jpg

Right shelf:

Room11.jpg

Left corner:

Room12.jpg

Room13.jpg

Right Corner:

Room14.jpg

Thanks for looking, I seriously appreciate it!

Want to round up my Biohazard collection soon and take some updated pictures. Perhaps in a month or so. Til' then...

Room15.jpg

Brandson said:
My new gaming setup:

That looks like the same TV I have. 47LC7DF?

Niks

Brandson said:
My new gaming setup:

Nice setup!!

How about sharing the specs?
-receiver
-speakers
-tv
-etc

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Urban Scholar said:
Not a bad setup PXG. I see tissues....near your PC...hmmm
I thought of that too :lol

-PXG-

Urban Scholar said:
Not a bad setup PXG. I see tissues....near your PC...hmmm

God damnit. I was going to say, "NO! Its not what you think. Not fapping tissues". But this is GAF and I'm a Junior, so anything I say is pretty much is meaningless amongst you guys. :lol

But seriously, I always forget where my tissues are, when ever my nose starts bleeding or I start sneezing, I never know where the hell they are.

-PXG- said:
God damnit. I was going to say, "NO! Its not what you think. Not fapping tissues". But this is GAF and I'm a Junior, so anything I say is pretty much is meaningless amongst you guys. :lol

But seriously, I always forget where my tissues are, when ever my nose starts bleeding or I start sneezing, I never know where the hell they are.

Nah no worries, posts like that are the best to be honest. Sometimes we forget what we have on our pics. Don't sell yourself short because of junior status either.

-PXG- said:

Too bad. You would have gotten more cred if you admitted they were for fapping.

AKAperly

Neo Member
mr stroke said:
amazing collection there. Turbo Duo in the box!! sick :)

and that must be 5-6k$ in NEOGEO carts?

thanks; yeah its a good chunk of change. i'm pretty pumped about the duo box. if you ever look on ebay, its very difficult to find one with that black sleeve on the right hand side of the box ["$250 worth of free games"] i think most people lost those or tossed them. some of my larger boxes like my neo geo AES are in storage. I only have so much room in the apartment.

Brandson

Niks said:
Nice setup!!

How about sharing the specs?
-receiver
-speakers
-tv
-etc

tv: LG 42LC7D (unfortunately only 720p - will be upgrading this next year)
speakers: Paradigm Signature S6 v.2
sub: JL Audio Fathom F112
preamp: Emotiva RSP-1
amplifier: D-Sonic Magnum 1000S (500 watts per channel)
cd player/dac: Cambridge Audio Azur 840C (connected to my ps3 and pc with a Trends UD-10.1)
power: Monster HTS2600MKII
over-the-air hdtv tuner: Samsung DTB-H260F with Radio Shack 15-1880 antenna
consoles: PS3 60GB and Wii

Sometime next year I'll add matching centre and rear speakers, if I can figure out how to fit them all in here. My apartment isn't that big yet.

My coffee table/ottoman actually doubles as storage for some of my games and movies. Here are some more pics (grills off the speakers this time):

2825760603_2a2d0c4579.jpg

2826599350_0db22a62f7.jpg

2826598936_002023ed29.jpg

2826598782_a5bfd6e5fc.jpg

2826598580_8ea768cc7c.jpg

2818678173_bb18b90fc0.jpg

2819524958_af0bf9352b.jpg

inner-G

Banned
gregor7777 said:
How far back can you sit and comfortably game on the PC?
mmm, dunno really.

I don't do PC games, I use it mainly to play videos and browse, but the PS3 is quickly replacing it.

The screen is only a 26", so I imagine you could sit a few feet back. I can read text in browsers and stuff from about 8-10ft.

My slightly updated setup. Got some hand-me-down Kenwood front left and front right speakers from my pops. I love how it looks with my lights in the background.

sept08setup04.JPG

sept08setup03.JPG

sept08setup01.JPG

sept08setup05.JPG

sept08setup06.JPG

SUPREME1

Banned
Brandson said:
tv: LG 42LC7D (unfortunately only 720p - will be upgrading this next year)
speakers: Paradigm Signature S6 v.2
sub: JL Audio Fathom F112
preamp: Emotiva RSP-1
amplifier: D-Sonic Magnum 1000S (500 watts per channel)
cd player/dac: Cambridge Audio Azur 840C (connected to my ps3 and pc with a Trends UD-10.1)
power: Monster HTS2600MKII
over-the-air hdtv tuner: Samsung DTB-H260F with Radio Shack 15-1880 antenna
consoles: PS3 60GB and Wii

Sometime next year I'll add matching centre and rear speakers, if I can figure out how to fit them all in here. My apartment isn't that big yet.

My coffee table/ottoman actually doubles as storage for some of my games and movies. Here are some more pics (grills off the speakers this time):

2825760603_2a2d0c4579.jpg

2826599350_0db22a62f7.jpg

2826598936_002023ed29.jpg

2826598782_a5bfd6e5fc.jpg

2826598580_8ea768cc7c.jpg

2818678173_bb18b90fc0.jpg

2819524958_af0bf9352b.jpg

This is the only reason I come to this thread, in hopes of finding a new set-up such as yours.

Bravo, great job.

A-
Minus 1 point for no 360. Seriously now, you can obviously afford one. Put your Sony-love, M$-hate aside and get one. It'd complete an already awesome set-up.

Your post has quenched my thirst for now, but I'll have to wait another month or two for another awesome post.

Bitter-sweet indeed.

Top Bottom