• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

Johnny

Temporary current gen setup, very boring.

20aqt91.png

Stuff that looks like ass on an LCD, the XBOX is modded to play everything from the 2600 to the N64 so that I can leave that stuff in the closet. Still need a bigger TV though, preferably a Sony or Panasonic in the 20" range, though I haven't been able to find one as of yet.

kcjpl5.png

PSP, DS and Saturn not pictured.

I'm in the process of remodelling right now so consider these the "before" pictures.

pirahna1

I live in a basement atm, so most of my systems and paraphernalia are in storage. Soon as I move in December I can finally get them all out! Till then:

My TV area:
100_9186.jpg

100_9187.jpg

DC/PS1 games:
100_9193.jpg
100_9194.jpg
100_9195.jpg

Game wall:
100_9190.jpg

PS2/Xbox/GC games:
100_9199.jpg
100_9200.jpg
100_9201.jpg

PC/Music production facility!:
100_9203.jpg

Tapiozona

Banned
Nothing much changed from last year in the gaming area. New addition this year is the office/pc area and my gaming headphone setup... Everything you see was created on my own from bare white walls.

Computer room/office....

And the headphones which are Denon D2000. I made the wooden cups myself out of zebrawood on a lathe. The stock ones were grey plastic. ALso recabled them with upgraded cable. With the right headphone amplifier these sound AMAZING. I enjoy gaming with them on as much as I do using the home theater.

dk_

Tapiozona said:
Nothing much changed from last year in the gaming area. New addition this year is the office/pc area and my gaming headphone setup... Everything you see was created on my own from bare white walls.
One of the best (if not the best) I've seen here. Very nice!

sspeedy

Tapiozona said:

<3 your setup. Love the deep rich colours. Though the furniture isn't my style, it still looks magnificent. I want a house too :(

Tapiozona said:

(pics)
nice work! always great to see another DIY home theater project.

The Chef

Tapiozona said:
Computer room/office....

Incredible.

This room reminds me of that on office in Resident Evil. Its right before you walk out to the garden...next to the door where the handle breaks. Oh! Its the room thats across the hall from the room with all the paintings and buttons underneath and the crows and stuff.

Does anyone have any clue wtf im talking about?

The Chef said:
Incredible.

This room reminds me of that on office in Resident Evil. Its right before you walk out to the garden...next to the door where the handle breaks. Oh! Its the room thats across the hall from the room with all the paintings and buttons underneath and the crows and stuff.

Yes. Feels like there should be a gold hexagonal medallion and a box of handgun rounds on the desk over there.

zbarron

qou24l.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture.

New Speakers. Two Polk Monitor 60s and the Polk RM10 pack to make 7 speakers. Plus two subwoofers between me and my brother to get my 7.2 sound system. I'm just not sure if I should take back the RM10 pack and go with 4 Monitor 30s and a CS1. What do you think?

Tapiozona said:

What the hell do you do for a living and how can i assume your identity?

Pachinko

Well, it's been a long time in coming but I changed around the GAF named "ghetto basement" and now have 7.1 sound and more room.

n796275036_4243070_9161.jpg

My tv, systems on a couple tables. Wii is being repaired.... for the 3rd time.

n796275036_4243068_8545.jpg

A panned out shot, so yeah, this is why it's been dubbed ghetto basement, I have all this stuff in an unfinished basement that has no walls, there is plastic over the insulation that's it. I was thinking of getting some wallscrolls/posters down there to liven the place up a bit. I'd also still like to buy a second sub eventually as my reciever supports 2 at once.

n796275036_4243069_8848.jpg

Panned out view of crap collection. 45 or so blurays , 5 ps3 games 15 xbox 360 games, a shit ton of animu on dvd and 50 or so dvds, 10 or so tv season boxsets, 5 wii games, a couple gamecube games. "The kramer" on the wall and my uncles' deer killing weaponry beside it.

n796275036_4243067_8206.jpg

The spider that came out after I finished rearranging my basement. It was the size of a quarter, a bit on the large side for where I live.

Jaroof

Pachinko said:
n796275036_4243067_8206.jpg

The spider that came out after I finished rearranging my basement. It was the size of a quarter, a bit on the large side for where I live.

Best part of any gaming setup here. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

Halvie said:
how do you like the rockets?
Best speakers I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Of course I did move up from a shitty HTIB that was intended for computers in 2001 so... that's not quite a fair comparison. Still awesome though. Those are only 450s, I'll be moving them to the back once my 850s get here in November. I can't imagine how awesome those will be.

Anyway, that pic I posted is my temp setup as I stated. Here's my WIP setup:

IMG_1270.jpg

Not in the pic but last weekend I finally got around to installing the outlets for the speaker wire. That's what two holes with the wires are. That's the speaker wire running through the ceiling.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Here's my college apartment. The PS3 stuff is mine, the Wii stuff is one of my roommate's. Speakers are mine. TV split three ways between all of us.

Pretty good stuff for college. <3 summer jobs.

My room:
computer.jpg

Living room:
livingroom.jpg

livingroom2.jpg

My only camera is my cell phone unfortunately... :(

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
So, when you guys have a falling out and everyone wants to live with someone else... who gets the TV?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
_dementia said:
Now that thumb toe is just absurd
hahaha

My other toes are just curled so my big toe looks huge. It really isn't that disproportional.

@Alfarif: We've pretty much decided who will be getting the TV, so we just have to figure out how we are going to do the money. We'll probably go by the market value at the end of this year for that.

shpankey

not an idiot
The Chef said:
Incredible.

somehow when i see that picture, i imagine Sherlock Holmes setting back there smoking a pipe and reading a book. ;)

BBS G35

BobsRevenge said:
hahaha

My other toes are just curled so my big toe looks huge. It really isn't that disproportional.

@Alfarif: We've pretty much decided who will be getting the TV, so we just have to figure out how we are going to do the money. We'll probably go by the market value at the end of this year for that.

Big toe looks like it has a bunion too, my sister just had surgery for that a couple months ago. Does it ever get uncomfortable when wearing shoes?

sspeedy

Outcast2004 said:
What the hell do you do for a living and how can i assume your identity?
:lol I'm with you on that one... if you know you have an impressive room, you may as well also list your annual salary and occupation. I'm not even kidding :O

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
sspeedy said:
:lol I'm with you on that one... if you know you have an impressive room, you may as well also list your annual salary and occupation. I'm not even kidding :O

I agree with this post.

Tapiozona

Banned
Thanks for the good words everyone. Im proud of those two rooms and its good to hear praise.

Hah. I'm actually a middle manager at a large company. I'm not rich by any means. Good old American middle class. Apparently I'm just handy and seem to have a good eye for design (I try not to flaunt that to avoid all the gay jokes, etc).

Honestly the theater cost me about 4K total. That includes the electronics (minus the speakers), seating, lighting, drywall, etc.

The office cost me about 500 including all the furniture. I found the desk on craigslist (it was pink when i got it. I just spent a few weekends sanding it down and refinishing it) for 75 bucks. The bookshelves and curtains are from ikea, the rug was free from a friend who went to Afghanistan, pictures were from craigslist and the chairs were on super clearance at a high end furniture store (250 for both). The chairrail/baseboards/crown molding are actually the cheap white fiberboard, with a staining/glaze techinique to make it look authentic.

Trick with all of it is to do all the work yourself. None of it is really hard thanks to google. Just have to start it....then you're forced to finsh.

My apologies for the long post. Was having a bit of fun with the camera and couldn't resist.

15quelu.jpg

Ahhh! Daddy's tv unit...my home away from home.

zimxpg.jpg

Note how the open design allows me to both help to organize his games and to turn on the power on the Xbox when I need to play a little Viva Pinata

309uiiq.jpg

Hello? What's this new business you're working on Dad?

2lcyc1j.jpg

Hey this is even better! I can reach all my games even easier now. And the Xbox and PS3 are right at finger pushing level!

1dy5gy.jpg

I wanna be just like Jade when I grow up

1z3nqzn.jpg

Wait...WTH is this crap! It...it closes?

2chunw7.jpg

babyvadernooooooooooo.jpg

My advice to new parents. Get something that closes for your electronics :).

BBS G35

TheFightingFish said:
My apologies for the long post. Was having a bit of fun with the camera and couldn't resist.

1z3nqzn.jpg

Wait...WTH is this crap! It...it closes?

2chunw7.jpg

babyvadernooooooooooo.jpg

My advice to new parents. Get something that closes for your electronics :).

I can't say it looks better with the new cabinet, hate the doors

BBS G35 said:
I can't say it looks better with the new cabinet, hate the doors

I'm iffy on the doors as well, but it was a change to make not going crazy with kids in the house as opposed to a change to be really snazzy looking. The old open unit was also much nicer for getting things in and out but it was just becoming too much of a hassle.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
TheFightingFish said:
I'm iffy on the doors as well, but it was a change to make not going crazy with kids in the house as opposed to a change to be really snazzy looking. The old open unit was also much nicer for getting things in and out but it was just becoming too much of a hassle.

But with the doors open you block your speakers? What's going on there?

Althane

Tapiozona said:
Thanks for the good words everyone. Im proud of those two rooms and its good to hear praise.

Hah. I'm actually a middle manager at a large company. I'm not rich by any means. Good old American middle class. Apparently I'm just handy and seem to have a good eye for design (I try not to flaunt that to avoid all the gay jokes, etc).

Honestly the theater cost me about 4K total. That includes the electronics (minus the speakers), seating, lighting, drywall, etc.

The office cost me about 500 including all the furniture. I found the desk on craigslist (it was pink when i got it. I just spent a few weekends sanding it down and refinishing it) for 75 bucks. The bookshelves and curtains are from ikea, the rug was free from a friend who went to Afghanistan, pictures were from craigslist and the chairs were on super clearance at a high end furniture store (250 for both). The chairrail/baseboards/crown molding are actually the cheap white fiberboard, with a staining/glaze techinique to make it look authentic.

Trick with all of it is to do all the work yourself. None of it is really hard thanks to google. Just have to start it....then you're forced to finsh.

*notes to start building small things to get the skills necessary to do... THAT*

Because I mean, dude.... wow. That is probably the most amazing home theater/gaming area I've seen. o.o;;

Truelize said:
But with the doors open you block your speakers? What's going on there?

Speaker placement still needs to be finalized (you'll notice that the surround rears are currently parked on top of the left and right fronts). For now it's mostly just my wife and I watching from directly in front of the TV so we just open the doors to approximate 90 degree angles and we still have a clear view of the TV and speakers.

zbarron

Small Update. I traded in The RM10 pack and got a Polk CS1 and 2 more Monitor 60s. Also I got a Y-splitting cable so I can have both sub woofers hooked up.

hvntl4.jpg

I still need two more monitor 60's to get complete 7.2. Right now I'm using my brothers Sonys for the rears.

Top Bottom