• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

Heres a somewhat upgraded bedroom. Only things I did were getting a new sofa and organize the TV area.

P1020738.jpg

P1020739.jpg

Anyways Im thinking on getting a nice and good home theater for my room. Any ideas on a good one? My budget is from $100 to $250. Only thing I care for is good sound and an optical input or HDMI input.

Blim, how are you liking the Samsung M86? I'm planning on picking up the 40" version smetme soon. Is SDTV at all bearable at 52"?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Ikuu said:
Where did you get those Naruto/Bleach posters? Or did you just find the images and got them made/print them yourself?

printed them myself :)

Now for downstairs:
consoles.jpg

TV.jpg

vaio.jpg

Yep, pretty messy, need to dust it off tomorrow. And i know about the cables, believe me :p

MoeB said:
Is that the fan you use to cool down that 360?

the fan brings air from behind the shelf, circulates it through the case, and ejects it out the back at the top, it cools the 360, ps3, wii, and and that hard drive with almost 0 noise when the doors are shut. it actually keeps everything pretty cool.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Here's my joint.

2156361242_b57cab334d_o.jpg

2156361172_023cb8ca11_o.jpg

To get all comfy with.

2155566251_4fb94251b5_o.jpg

It's an older Westy. Planning to grab a 42" LCD and new TV stand later this year.

2156361026_83b36587c9_o.jpg

2155566437_1d570e2054_o.jpg

2156361516_bc9e9a23a2_o.jpg

2156361426_bec0066b5a_o.jpg

That's the living room. Haven't worked on the office beyond just grabbing some crates and a cheap stand. Office is this year's project.

2156361332_80ce278b74_o.jpg

2155567083_bcc83bef2b_o.jpg

2155567145_ae95ec3c24_o.jpg

2156361876_8f7b8559d9_o.jpg

2155567339_2d76a376c1_o.jpg

And my most prized possession. Thank you EB Games (heh) for your Saturn clearance sale!

2155566981_b8e29ba844_o.jpg

Banned
brain_stew said:
Blim, how are you liking the Samsung M86? I'm planning on picking up the 40" version smetme soon. Is SDTV at all bearable at 52"?
SDTV can look good at 50" but not on a Samsung; they're terrible for it.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Darkman M said:
Alfa your living room setup is sex looks comfy there.

Thanks! I spent all last year getting the pieces I liked after a couple of years not having money to do so. I don't think it'll ever be "done" (I'm redoing my wall hangings, so I chose to leave out that half of the room) but it feels very comfortable and stress-free. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen asleep on accident just sitting on that couch. Friends can't come over anymore because I've had to wake a couple of them up at like 3 AM just to get the hell out and go home.

Ah well, I'll post again when the office is redone later this year. It should be comfy as well.

Didn't have time to clean it up or shoot everything, but this is my setup so far. It's about 75% complete. I still need to install cork flooring, patch and repaint the walls plus a few touch ups, but other than that it's fully functional. I'll update the pics later on.

Xbox360 Premium/charge stand/2 controllers
PS3 60GB/charge stand/2 controllers/Logitech PS3 Keyboard

All electronics are running into a Pioneer Elite VSX-91TXH (PCM 7.1) (HDMI 1080i/p) and are output directly through HDMI into a calibrated Sony Trinitron 34XS955 and a THX certified 7.1 Velodyne Speaker System and controlled with a Harmony 550 remote. I even made sure the TV viewing distance and height was within the correct specs with an adjusted StudioTech HF-3 stand, a nice comfy leather couch, and a slate coffee table. I'm also using the tablet PC as a media server.

3_01_01_08_9_43_52.jpg

3_01_01_08_9_42_07.jpg

3_01_01_08_9_50_51.JPG

A few quick GT4 shots @ 1080i (sorry for the bad exposures, I'll use raw mode next time.)
3_03_01_08_1_57_17.jpg

3_03_01_08_1_57_38.JPG

tv2.jpg

same as it was yesterday (Last year)
waiting for my Integra RDA 7 amp, turntable, Velodyne digital driver series subwoofer, and new front B&W speakers. Once i get those i will extend the cabinet on the right into a rack and move the current speakers to the rear.

Pioneer 5070
Pioneer Elite 84 VSX-TSi receiver
B&W 683 L/R speakers
B&W HTM61 center channel
Paradigm Titan rear speakers
Paradigm PDR series sub
Panamax 5100EX power conditioner
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player
PS3
Wii
Xbox 360
Salamander cabinet

User2k

Hey guys first time post on the GAF. Been reading for a while though. Almost embarrassing posting my setup compared to some of yours out there. Sorry for the sketchy camera work, I rarely take pictures and its a new camera. Should have taken a picture of the Steam titles I've bought. Oh well too late now.

6jetjkh.jpg

8ezpbtu.jpg

8e8hzyu.jpg

8fo8iv7.jpg

6powaas.jpg

6lwaq9c.jpg

6skhjbr.jpg

82u6y41.jpg

Screen: Samsung 226BW
PC:
Intel Q6600
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3RMotherboard
OCZ Platinum XTC PC2-8500 2X1GB DDR2-1066
GeForce 8800GTS 640mb
Antec Nine Hundred
Razer Copperhead
Don't remember keyboard model. Sorry.
Crappy old headset to be replaced with http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Razer_HP1/RZR_Barra_HP1(1).jpg sometime this week hopefully.

TV: Westinghouse 32'. Don't remember exact model number.
Consoles & Handhelds:
Wii
PS3
PSP
DS
360 on the way once my job becomes more stable (QA sucks in the winter).

Karmacide

DSCF0245_resize.jpg

Sony 60 inch SXRD
Onkyo TX-SR605
Surround sound set up with X4 Polk R50 Speakers and Polk CSR Center
Sony 200 Watt Subwoofer
PS3
PS2

HTPC
Pentium D 805
1GB DDR2 RAM
8600GT Video Card
Gyration Wireless Keyboard and Remote

It's a perfect setup for me to watch movies and play video games.

The thing on the bottom right is the Hori Fighting Stick I play Tekken with.

The empty space on the bottom left is for the Wii when SSBB comes out.

User2k

Proc said:
Duude, I just picked that case up when I upgraded my PC a few days ago. So nice, and I'm glad I did, nice and roomy, and the fans are great.

Yeah its really sweet. The cooling is spectacular. I need to hook up a couple more blue LEDs in it though.

darkressurection said:
Here is my modest setup for 08 so far.
6td7olw.jpg

Another Eye of Judgement man. ^^.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
brain_stew said:
Now that I've got it calibrated correctly I'm very happy with it. The game mode is pretty much lag free.
Can't say anything about SDTV, never used it for anything less than 480p.

mr stroke

Finally got most of the new set up done :)
(sorry for the shitty pics)

Living room-
DSC00111.jpg

Theater room-
DSC00078.jpg

DSC00107.jpg

Gaming/other room-
DSC00100.jpg

DSC00099.jpg

Beezy

dark10x said:
Kind of a dark picture, but it works...

DSC02257.jpg

I just realized that you have the same TV stand as me. I was lucky to find it for only $100 on the same day that I bought my TV. :D

Not a good pic, but here's my setup:
HPIM1148.jpg

I also got a Wii last week. It's between my satellite receiver and HD-DVD player.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Beezy said:
I just realized that you have the same TV stand as me. I was lucky to find it for only $100 on the same day that I bought my TV. :D

Not a good pic, but here's my setup:
HPIM1148.jpg

I also got a Wii last week. It's between my satellite receiver and HD-DVD player.
Almost the same. You seem to have a slightly small version (which I didn't realize they made). That's pretty cool. I like the glass color on your stand.

NekoFever

Yay at the people showing off their Firefly love. I'm getting on that bandwagon...

8dztruq.jpg

:D

Got a Serenity visual companion around somewhere but couldn't find it.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Seeing some of these pictures where the rig is connected to the main TV makes me wince at the fact that some of you guys never leave the couch :|

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
speedpop said:
Seeing some of these pictures where the rig is connected to the main TV makes me wince at the fact that some of you guys never leave the couch :|

Did you type that while hunched over your desk with Cheeto dust on your mousepad?

bryehn

setup640.jpg

Same as last year (Well 5 months ago). Pic scaled to 640*480.

TV is an Envision 32" LCD (720p/1080i).

HD PVR Cable box.

NTSC PS3, Wii, Xbox 360. Also PSP & DS Lite

Crappy Samsung DVD changer/5.1 receiver.

Phillips component switch box.

Super 9" Desk fan to blow away hot air.

Shelving is actually two $16 IKEA TV stands.

Not pictured: PSP Slim, DS Phat, JPN Wii

To get in 2008: HDDVD add on for the 360, new receiver

LiK

Giant Robot said:
tv2.jpg

same as it was yesterday (Last year)
waiting for my Integra RDA 7 amp, turntable, Velodyne digital driver series subwoofer, and new front B&W speakers. Once i get those i will extend the cabinet on the right into a rack and move the current speakers to the rear.

Pioneer 5070
Pioneer Elite 84 VSX-TSi receiver
B&W 683 L/R speakers
B&W HTM61 center channel
Paradigm Titan rear speakers
Paradigm PDR series sub
Panamax 5100EX power conditioner
Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player
PS3
Wii
Xbox 360
Salamander cabinet

magnificent setup

Sylar

Banned
Hmmm...I was thinking, should I hook my 360 up to an old CRT that only does 1200 x 720, or should I stick with the SDTV via component?

Essentially, what would give me a better picture?

atomsk

Party Pooper
my new years resolution this year is to buy a real camera, i swear :lol

where i spend just about all my time when i'm not working or sleeping. every system in this picture is hooked up and ready to play. hooray switchboxes.
setup.jpg

my linux box, and general collection. 3 rows of games, 2 of dvd
collec.jpg

living room
livingroom.jpg

random toys
toys.jpg

Evander

"industry expert"
It's too messy to take a picture of right now, plus I'm at work, but I'll describe it.

I have my self-built PC sitting on the far right of my desk, with my pre-HDMI Premium 360 (checkered faceplate) standing vertically to its immediate left. To the left of the 360 are my two monitors; my 17 inch on the left (DVI from PC, VGA from 360), and my 14.5 inch on the right (VGA from PC). Both Monitors are salvaged from my old Gateway set-up.

Hooked up to the PC is my 5.1 logitech speaker system, and hooked up to the 360 is my 2.1 Boise system. I'm big on multitasking, so this way I can be listening to audio from both at the same time, such as playing a podcast or watching a video on my right monitor while gaming on the left. I can also surf forums or search faqs, or chat over AIM on the left monitor while gamin on the right one.

Scattered around the room amidst the pieces and ruins of my dismantled old Gateway (I need to clean up) are a slew of different games and DVDs, as well as my 360 controllers (two wireless, one with chatpad, Xplorer, XBLA joystick.) as well as the three headsets that I've wound up with (wired that came with the system, wired that came with Chatpad, and wireless.)

I have an ethernet hardline piping Fios internet in directly from upstairs (the room is in the basement) which I have going to an ethernet switch, which transfers out to both my PC and my 360, so I can be online on both simultaniously. (For the unfamiliar, the ethernet switch acts to split the connects, but also makes sure that no connects are both sending out packets at the same time, thereby preventing issues that would cause. There is no physical switch on it; everything is done internally.) We have a wireless network in the house (which I use for my Wii in the next room over, and usually used to sync my Zune, unless it is over full with podcasts, and requires manual deletion through a PC sync) but the hardline allows me faster speeds, and saves me the cost of the official 360 wireless adapter, and the hassle of re-flashing custom firmware onto a wireless router.

Pics of my Tower (Taken in a room other than its current spot. The DVD drives have since been move up to the top two bays. It is named Deep Thought, because I am unoriginal. My laptop is also named Hactar, and my Zune is Zaphod. For a brief period of time, my Treo was named Eddie, with the description "Evan's shipboard computer."):

img090fr2.jpg

img091uw4.jpg

PC specs (it was built as a budget PC, with a focus on multitasking, rather than serious gaming, but it handled the Crysis demo at about Medium settings, if that is any indication of its power. Just want to add that I knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about the technical aspects of a computer going into this project, so I say it worked out pretty well.):

Case: Coolermaster Mystique 632S

Motherboard: ECS NF650iSLIT-A (I chose it because it had two PATA connections, meaning I didn't have to buy any new drives yet. Also, I am using onboard sound.)

Video Card: ChainTech GeForce 8400 GS 256MB DDR2 PCI-E (Originally had an EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3, but it caused a lot of freezing, especially when booting up, so I switched to the 8400 GS when it was offered to me for free; college student budget, you know.)

PSU: Antec True Power Trio TP3-650

RAM: OCZ Platinum R2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800

CPU: Core 2 Duo E4400

Cooling: Cooler Master Aquagate Viva

CPU Fan: Vantec Tornado (80mm)

Fan Controller: Super Flower Fan Master

Misc: USB/Firewire PCI-Express card.

HDDs (one 40 gig named Master, and one 160 Gig named Blaster), DVD drives, floppy drive, and card reader are all canibalized from my old Gateway, but I've had my eye on Scyth's combo floppy/card reader, and then using the 3.5 bay that my current card reader is in to add some USB ports to the front of the machine (currently, my USB ports are all either on the top, or on the back.) Also in the plans for the future is to add a larger Sata HDD (500 gigs or more).

Beezy

dark10x said:
Almost the same. You seem to have a slightly small version (which I didn't realize they made). That's pretty cool. I like the glass color on your stand.

Oh ok. I was wondering how you got those speakers to fit on yours.

Skenzin

Banned
atomsk said:

where i spend just about all my time when i'm not working or sleeping. every system in this picture is hooked up and ready to play. hooray switchboxes.

living room
livingroom.jpg

How? big is your tv and where did you get the stand? That is exactly what im looking for.

Jumpman23

Skenzin said:
atomsk said:

living room
livingroom.jpg

How? big is your tv and where did you get the stand? That is exactly what im looking for.

I have the exact same stands (those are actually 3 seperate pieces). Got them at Target. They also come in a lighter shade of brown.

Old photos, but still the same set up, I just moved the table horizontal instead of vertical.

PS3 & 26" Sony Bravia (720p / 1080i)

351058857_b6d407e05f_b.jpg

My GF loves her Pac Man!

1394852500_392ada264e_b.jpg

DOMO!

424660034_4ad3e67333_b.jpg

Top Bottom