• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

beerbelly

Banned
A lot of you put your entertainment systems/TVs, etc right next to large windows and doors that lead to outside...aren't you guys afraid of robbers?

Dizzan

MINI Member
CIMG4796.jpg

CIMG4793.jpg

CIMG4799.jpg

I really need new tv but holidays and mortgages are calling.

Probably upgrade at the end of 08/early 09.

Bless the mess

ConsumerSquare said:
scissorfight, you have primo taste in music! You are obviously a true man, through and through, and it is clear that you drink your coffee black and your whiskey straight.

Seriously. He's made me reconsider every choice I've made in my life. I'm like "I love Clutch and big teevees. Why am I working freelance jobs?"

New speakers arrive tomorrow. I can't friggin' wait. Finally getting rid of my 12" beasts.

Here's my setup now:

8fdpjdi.jpg

6yb777d.jpg

I'm going to post new shots of my HT once i get the RTi10's hooked up and situated.

Next on my list is the Pioneer Elite VSX94.

mr stroke

beerbelly said:
A lot of you put your entertainment systems/TVs, etc right next to large windows and doors that lead to outside...aren't you guys afraid of robbers?

2 story house and good area? and a little naive I guess

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
scissorfight- May I kindly ask what you do for a living?

Joates

Banned
scissorfight said:
made some changes to my basement setup from last year

70" sony SXRD - KDS-70XBR2, JBL northridge speakers
2157291078_000775f720_o.jpg

It's so strange, for some reason my 65" looks so small in comparison :/

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
beerbelly said:

I'd like to see anyone try and steal a 65" 150+lb tv while trying to get it out the door yet along across a 70 feet driveway.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
user friendly said:
Here's my setup now:

8fdpjdi.jpg

Where did you get the stand? I've been seeing those style of stands around, but I don't think my TV would look right on them since the stand doesn't come off (that I know of?)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For the 4280 and 77U, I use these. You can take the stand off if you like. Kinda pointless since you save a lot of room with them.

Stands-1.jpg

Kintaro said:
Where did you get the stand? I've been seeing those style of stands around, but I don't think my TV would look right on them since the stand doesn't come off (that I know of?)

I bought it from the Sony store, since I had $100 already on store credit.

It's a tech craft TRK50B My only problem with it is the cavity for all the AV cables isn't very big and it can be a pain getting them all hidden. That being said, it wasn't much of a problem and I really like the looks of it.

Kind of expensive at $429 (CDN)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
heavy liquid said:

You know, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about calling one of those Designing TV shows to come help you straight stuff out, but then I realized that if anyone came and cleaned your place, you wouldn't know where anything was.

So rock on heavy liquid, rock on.

Koojay

2159968731_6cc81c0d40_b.jpg

Got the 360 hooked up to the 19" Dell Monitor. Wii and PS3 Hooked up to the 32" SAMSUNG CRT HDTV (I'm proud of it)
2159969381_28b19b4c17_b.jpg

and last but not least the computer!

2159970069_706c7e1185_b.jpg

Kintaro said:
You know, I was going to make a sarcastic comment about calling one of those Designing TV shows to come help you straight stuff out, but then I realized that if anyone came and cleaned your place, you wouldn't know where anything was.

So rock on heavy liquid, rock on.

Videogames are about rocking, are they not? And especially Rock Band. :D

I'll color coordinate my room and spiffy every thing up when I'm done actually playing the games and ready to put everything in a mausoleum. Which is what a lot of these setups don't seem to be doing with the games.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
FunkyMunkey said:
Serious answer please!

*is ready to change to his major*

For some reason, a lot of obviously well-off people are totally mysterious about what they do for a living. This gets asked often in threads like these and I seriously don't think I've ever seen a legit answer. At the same time, I, for the life of me, can't imagine a reason why they won't simply say. The only, real possibilities I've come up with so far are...

1.) They're ashamed of what they do (or don't do in the case of people who leach off their parents or the government or lawsuits or whatever) for a living.

2.) They have a high public profile that would be revealed were they to give details of their employment and are afraid of being exposed in some way. This would seem to be the most likely of the options.

3.) They're sadistic show-offy pricks (or bitches depending on sex).

And, by the way, I'm not trying to be presumptuous about the people who won't answer these questions. I truly just don't understand why it needs to be such a huge fucking mystery.

I'm going to post my setup in a little while and if anyone is curious about what I do for a living (not that you will be), I'll be more than willing to divulge the information.

scissorfight said:
made some changes to my basement setup from last year

70" sony SXRD - KDS-70XBR2, JBL northridge speakers
2157291078_000775f720_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2156312019_f042b60920_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/2157107134_df058b65b7_o.jpg[IMG]

added a PS3 and a wii this year
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2284/2157179126_1f23ae8165_o.jpg[IMG]

upgraded from pioneer elite 82tsx to a denon 3808ci (it's amazing) 4 hdmi inputs - PS3, 360, HD DVR and HTPC. wii through component
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2130/2157107572_e381753ae9_o.jpg[IMG]

new HTPC/media server - core2duo e7650, 2gb ram, x1950pro, 1TB storage
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2307/2156508151_3ddb5b5b59_o.jpg[IMG]

backlights only (screen is from HTPC media server)
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2195/2156311785_926a2667e9_o.jpg[IMG]

got new reclining leather couches and sold the old ones. remote is a logitech harmony 680
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2200/2157107282_68e53b9ae7_o.jpg[/MG]

i ran power under the couch and out to both end tables for this stuff:

logitech dinovo edge 2 and charger for HTPC, PS3/USB charger, laptop charger
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2324/2159046248_72892af7be_o.jpg[IMG]

wiimote charger, 360 battery pack charger, PS3/USB charger. the 2 extra 360 pads double as HTPC pads for emulators
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/2159046130_6b7e4cfd24_o.jpg[IMG]

this is where the real gaming takes place. last thing to finish the basement is the bar that will go to the left of these tables. i've been too lazy to finish.
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/2157106804_3bf52f48f0_o.jpg[IMG]

office setup - pretty much the same as last year except for a new chair
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2360/2158844590_862dcf15f5_o.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2079/2157107460_f67e1b732b_o.jpg[IMG]

i did this watercooled pc myself about 5 years ago. i don't really bother with that shit anymore.
[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2376/2156312551_90868f93bc_o.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

God, between you and the guy with a motorcycle in his living room, you guys had the best set-up last year.

East Lake

Anyone have a link or directions on how to take good pictures of an HDTV (LCD in my case)? My sister has her Canon digital SLR with her and I'd like to take some of my setup with some high def content on the screen.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Loosely defined "gaming" setup; there's a 360, but I don't really play it a whole lot and only have four games.

6jd4sh0.jpg

6tu7nzl.jpg

Minotauro said:
For some reason, a lot of obviously well-off people are totally mysterious about what they do for a living. This gets asked often in threads like these and I seriously don't think I've ever seen a legit answer. At the same time, I, for the life of me, can't imagine a reason why they won't simply say. The only, real possibilities I've come up with so far are...

1.) They're ashamed of what they do (or don't do in the case of people who leach off their parents or the government or lawsuits or whatever) for a living.

2.) They have a high public profile that would be revealed were they to give details of their employment and are afraid of being exposed in some way. This would seem to be the most likely of the options.

And, by the way, I'm not trying to be presumptuous about the people who won't answer these questions. I truly just don't understand why it needs to be such a huge fucking mystery.

I'm going to post my setup in a little while and if anyone is curious about what I do for a living (not that you will be), I'll be more than willing to divulge the information.
wrong on all counts, i was just fucking around

i am a teleworker for an IT corp, hence the need for the basement office since i work from home. hell, i've probably already posted that info before several times.

since i WFH the previous answer wasn't too far from the truth

and if i was that well off i wouldn't have busted my ass finishing my basement myself.

NeoZylom said:
Why do you put tape on your rock band drum? They are broken?

Not broken but doing that makes then more sensitive, so you can do a drum roll. Problem is that it makes them TOO sensitive. Hitting one pad too hard sets off the one next to it.

scissorfight said:

i am a teleworker for an IT corp, hence the need for the basement office since i work from home. hell, i've probably already posted that info before several times.

since i WFH the previous answer wasn't too far from the truth

and if i was that well off i wouldn't have busted my ass finishing my basement myself.

Just good money management I'm assuming?

Minotauro

scissorfight said:

Fair enough. I truly hope my previous post didn't come off as overly harsh or combative. It just seems like a lot of people avoid answering that question in these threads and it always confounds me. Either way, my apologies towards you personally. My semi-accusatory post still stands for some of you shadow people out there though. No need to be ashamed...the world needs drugs dealers and bank robbers too. :)

And, for what it's worth, I work with your types daily and hope to one day be one myself. Sadly, my last inquiry about possibly moving to another location and continuing to work for the company was met with quite a bit of resistance. Nevermind the fact that my boss and the rest of my team live three states over. Oh, well.

Minotauro

FunkyMunkey said:
Just good money management I'm assuming?

Not to downplay his setup (which is quite magnificent really), it's quite attainable for any decently-paid programmer or sys admin.

Minotauro said:
Not to downplay his setup (which is quite magnificent really), it's quite attainable for any decently-paid programmer or sys admin.

its pretty much attainable for anybody, its all comes down to where your priorities are. some people buy stupid shit like food and stuff, some people buy hot dogs and big TVs.

mr stroke

well off:lol
I guess most Gafers are poor college students? granted most of these setups are very nice
but these are "well off"
star_wars_home_theater.jpg

star_wars_home_theater_6.jpg

rocks_1.jpg

rocks_4.jpg

ultimate_home_theater_3.jpg

ultimate_home_theater_2.jpg

34-million-in-house-cinema-1_48.jpg

tita.jpg

home_theater_interior_design-736850.jpg

DSC_9117small20copy20smaller.jpg

Giant Robot said:
buying food is not stupid is it? :(
I lived off chef boyardee, mac and cheese, and hot dogs for 2 weeks because i spend most of my paycheck on my LCD on pay day. to some insane, but i would do it all again. :)

FLUXCapacitor said:
Basically the same setup I've had for over a year now located in my bedroom.

sports-stuff-and-posters.jpg

I like, I like. Always a fan of seeing people who are generous with posters and stuff like that on their walls - makes things look a lot more comfortable, lived in, and totally unique to YOU rather than trying to attain some particular style with your room/setup. I could live with either, but I prefer keeping things fun with posters, sports memorabilia and whatnot.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
The Chef said:
I posted my setup in the old thread but I have to post again cuz this room reminds me of my own setup.

02.jpg

Actually, truth be told, after I saw your set up, I really liked the idea of standing lamps right beside the TV. I used to have the plants there and it looked nice but it also looked a little too busy, so I moved the plants behind the couch and put those lamps next to the TV instead. I come into this thread not to get jealous or oogle people's setups (thought there are some damn nice ones in here) but to actually get ideas that I think work for me and my fiancee. You had a great idea so I stole it!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Minotauro said:

4:) Some of them are tired of answering the same questions over and over.

I had enough of it at gamers/ign/1up. Sorry gaffers. :(

jan08pic4.jpg

Yar, Mitsu WD-52631 hooked up to an Onkyo HT-SR600 7.1 setup.

jan08pic5.jpg

With just the lamps, although the screen doesn't get that crazy.

jan08pic6.jpg

jan08pic7.jpg

jan08pic8.jpg

jan08pic9.jpg

jan08pic10.jpg

Secondary area on a Sony GDM-FW900 and those typical Logitech 5.1 speakers everyone else has. :lol

BasicUAE said:
got the same TV; Not good. Hopefully will be replaced...
this is the 26" right?...
It's quite old, maybe a year and a half, and I got it then for a hell lot of money. :"(

Maybe around 2500$ :"""""(

It's decent, though.

Top Bottom