• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

Picture009-1.jpg

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Drewsy said:
Blimblim, what's that big Ninja Gaiden thing to the left of your tv?
It's the asian special edition of the very first Ninja Gaiden Xbox game. Too bad the bonus stuff sucked, but at least that big box is out of the ordinary :)

LiK

Blimblim said:
It's the asian special edition of the very first Ninja Gaiden Xbox game. Too bad the bonus stuff sucked, but at least that big box is out of the ordinary :)

didja get that ayane figure that came with preorders?or was that for japanese versions only? i got the kasumi one that came with the US version.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
mr stroke said:
Christmas2007163.jpg

less games and better TV maybe?
Errr, that's a Sony HD CRT right there and it kicks the shit out of most of the TVs posted in this thread in terms of quality. Sure, it's small (probably 30"), but the picture destroys any random LCD in so many areas.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
dark10x said:
Sure, it's small (probably 30"), but the picture destroys any random LCD in so many areas.

Especially if you drop it on one. ;)

I loved my 34" Wega, but damn that fucker was heavy and the cabinet was so huge.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Kadey said:
4:) Some of them are tired of answering the same questions over and over.

I had enough of it at gamers/ign/1up. Sorry gaffers. :(

You could always copy-and-paste a standard reply. I'm just saying...routinely posting pictures of 10 or so HDTVs as well as a collection of every hardware revision ever will tend to elicit questions...

gray_fox224

Minotauro said:
You could always copy-and-paste a standard reply. I'm just saying...routinely posting pictures of 10 or so HDTVs as well as a collection of every hardware revision ever will tend to elicit questions...

Exactly.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Minotauro said:

But that isn't fun on my part. But part of it is something someone already mentioned, some people manage money better than others. Some people prioritize differently.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
urk said:
Especially if you drop it on one. ;)

I loved my 34" Wega, but damn that fucker was heavy and the cabinet was so huge.
No kidding. I think I slightly messed up my lower back while moving a 34" Sony upstairs. We had to turn it sideways and everything. Absolutely awful.

cRIPticon

My gaming "stations" have not changed much since last year (and here they are again):

Office1.jpg

Office photo 1

office2.jpg

In addition to the Athlon system, I have added a MacBook Pro 17". The Athlon gets used very rarely anymore!

office3.jpg

"The Shrine" is the same:

And on another wall in my office we have 'The Shrine'. The arcade cabinet is one that I built and plays the Williams Arcade collection as well as the HanaHo Capcom collection. Systems on display and connected to the switchbox on the small TV (except for the handhelds of course)are, from the top shelf down and left to right: NES, SNES, "off market" game system purchased while in Europe, Atari 10-in-one joystick, Sega Saturn, Dreamcast, Genesis and 32X, NeoGeo Pocket Color, WonderSwan Color, Atari Lynx, GBA with Afterburner installed, GBA SP, Game Gear, 2 Nintendo DS's, Atari Jaguar CD-ROM, 3DO FZ-10, Atari Jaguar, Pong system board, VIC-20, Colecovision. Most of the games are stored in the shelves and drawers of the unit.

I can also pipe the video to the arcade machine or my PC as well!

GBABorder.jpg

The ever popular GBA box room border!

FRoom.jpg

Family room set-up is mostly the same except that we introduced the PS3 to the mix (but not in this old picture) and relocated the XB360 to the master bedroom.

And my upgrade for this year was replacing the TV in our bedroom. So we went from this:

BRoom.jpg

to this:

newtv.jpg

65" Mitsubishi 1080p. Sweeeet!

One last addition to the compute systems in the home was the addition of a 20" iMac in the kitchen for the family.

Here's to great gaming in 2008!

LiK

Minotauro said:

i totally agree, altho when i post stuff and people request to know what i do for a living, i prefer not to answer. if people told others before then i dont see why it would be hard for them to repeat their occupations. not everyone keeps track of everyone's replies.

cRIPticon

Man, I love looking at the pics of everyone's game environments. We built a new house recently, so I don't have the theater room done yet, but here is the home theater room from my last home.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

That Mitsubishi Diamond Series cost me $6000 5+ years ago. 1080i TVs today start at $500. CRAZY!

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
cRIPticon said:
That Mitsubishi Diamond Series cost me $6000 5+ years ago. 1080i TVs today start at $500. CRAZY!

Heh, my dad bought the 4:3 version of that TV for around the same price around the same time. After dying and now refusing to power on, it's currently just taking up space--a lot of space--in our living room.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I changed my setup today - added the shelf.

DSC00073.jpg

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

It still sucks compared to most people on here, but its good enough for me.

cRIPticon

scissorfight said:
isn't that that one with the 9" CRTs? i bet the picture was amazing.

It was and it was an amazing picture for the time, but can't compare to the new Mits. DLP. Although the black level on that TV was sick, as was the cabinet. The damn thing weighed 400 pounds :)

The Jer

low quality camera phone shots incoming.

PS3 connected to the LCD monitor and PS2 connected to the CRT TV.
It works well because we can play PS2 online and LAN games on seperate displays.
Also, we pull dish chairs (or some other kind of folding chair) right up next to the displays. We don't sit across the room. ;p

4pjazk0.jpg

5y8oio4.jpg

6y31isg.jpg

And my PC is connected to this monitor:

8fjqpmx.jpg

6ui3ggm.jpg

DiddyBop

that huge sony tv is nice.the minimal borders realyl set it off. the colours are also nice,deeply colored and bright.

SIP YEK NOD said:
I lived off chef boyardee, mac and cheese, and hot dogs for 2 weeks because i spend most of my paycheck on my LCD on pay day. to some insane, but i would do it all again. :)

I really, really scrimped for a while after I bought my LCD last winter. To paraphrase my old wrestling coach, discomfort is temporary, but HDTV is 4-5 years.

dark10x said:
No kidding. I think I slightly messed up my lower back while moving a 34" Sony upstairs. We had to turn it sideways and everything. Absolutely awful.

One of the biggest problems I found with mine was getting a stand that could support the weight, plus the components, and then still be tall enough so I can view the screen without looking down at the floor. I never understood why most crt tv stands are between 16 and 22 inches in height when the set needs to be at least 30 inches off the floor to view it properly when seated.

It's too bad Sony didn't make a larger version of their 24" GDMFW900 computer monitor. I still think it's the best looking consumer display made.

Chrono

Banned
mr stroke said:
well off:lol
I guess most Gafers are poor college students? granted most of these setups are very nice
but these are "well off"
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/star_wars_home_theater.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/star_wars_home_theater_6.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/rocks_1.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/rocks_4.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/ultimate_home_theater_3.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/ultimate_home_theater_2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/34-million-in-house-cinema-1_48.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/tita.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/home_theater_interior_design-736850.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x166/MRSTROKER/DSC_9117small20copy20smaller.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Those are just gaudy and obnoxious.

The Chef

Alfarif said:
I come into this thread not to get jealous or oogle people's setups (thought there are some damn nice ones in here) but to actually get ideas that I think work for me and my fiancee. You had a great idea so I stole it!

hahaha thats awesome

robot said:
Here's a Sega New Astro City on the opposite wall. I wound up going with this model because japanese cabinets look so much cooler than American cabs, it matches the palette down there, and it has one of the best monitors out there. I swapped out the sticks and buttons with Seimitsu and Sanwa parts. I also put temporary plugs on a few buttons for a true Neo layout, and wired a Neo gamepad in case someone can't handle the magic of the sticks.

100_0801.jpg
i missed this one...awesome
8e11aiv.gif

besada

Banned
It's dark here today, I can't be arsed to open the blinds for more light, so here's the gaming set up in very dim lighting:

72fo58k.jpg

That's a backscratcher.

Here's some nearby figs (belonging to me and my wife):

71c1655.jpg

My pride and joy:

6lmembl.jpg

And my gaming cat, who watches over my gaming:

6jmng38.jpg

FordStang

I will post my setup later, but I have 2 different areas....

In my downstairs bedroom (kind of like my personal little living room), I have my Wii and 360 hooked up on a 30 inch Samsung HDTV (its a tube television though, not LCD...nice pic though)

In the main living room, I have my PS3 hooked up to a 52 inch Philips LCD TV. The only problem with this, my parents get first dibs to the room, so if they want to watch tv, I got to wait to play.

SHould I move the PS3 with the Wii60 or should I keep it out in front because of the big TV????

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Afraid mine hasn't changed much from 2007 yet. Perhaps by some miracle 2008 will see a PS3...and likely 20 replacement 360s.

15emhf.jpg

2q86ip2.jpg

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:

Another room I love. Looks comfortable and totally unique to you, props for giving it a signature touch.

My older bro has one of those TV stands, surprisingly nice for how cheap they are! I've been thinking of picking one up. Kick-ass Nintendo banner, by the way.

gray_fox224

Here's mine. Sorry about the dim light. I couldn't get the flash to work.

Vitals:
Samsung LNT 4665F calibrated
Super Famicom
Sega Genesis 3
Sega Saturn
Sega Dreamcast (1 of 3)
and etc. They're there, it's just too dark :lol

DSCN1295.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

DSCN1293.jpg

Top Bottom