• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2008 edition

mintylurb

gray_fox224 said:
Sure. I use a calibration made from AVS member WPWOODJR. After using many different settings, these were the best in my and the forum's opinion.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=11287410&postcount=1499

I use the standard one. Movie is dark for my taste becuase I love to have "pop."

Note, since you have the 65 series, put Color Space to "Wide." Also, I have my color at '47.' It's just a personal preference since 50 tends to make skin tones a bit unnatural.
Do you also use the standard mode when you're gaming? I've been using "game mode" for well, gaming since i heard it minimizes lags or something ;d

gray_fox224

mintylurb said:
Do you also use the standard mode when you're gaming? I've been using "game mode" for well, gaming since i heard it minimizes lags or something ;d

Yes, I use Standard all the time. I never use the game mode. It causes "black crush."

mintylurb

gray_fox224 said:
Yes, I use Standard all the time. I never use the game mode. It causes "black crush."
I see, so there's no extra lag when one uses standard mode? Then I should give that setting a try. Sankyou, gray!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright guys, I'm going to enter the running for "most ghetto" setup. I hope you enjoy!

gamingsetup001.jpg

First, you can see my setup is old as dirt. That is an old Mitsubishi television that has to be at least 17 years old. You can also count 3 VCRs, one of which (the top on on the left) is actually mounted into the entertainment center itself.

As you might also notice, the video cords are coming out of the left side of the TV. I actually only have two composite outputs on this TV and one S-Video, which is taken by the DVD player. I have to go through the system selector (on the very bottom) in order to hook up both my Wii and PS2.

You may notice I'm not taking a picture of my couch or anything. That's because I usually just pull my office chair from my computer room and set it in front of the TV to play. We'll get to the computer later.

gamingsetup002.jpg

That's not my entire game collection right there, that's just a selection of recent games. Most of the others are in another room. If you want to see my whole collection, it's here on IGN. You might notice some cords taped to the center. Those are actually cords for my EyeToy, and I've simply taped them to keep them out of the way.

gamingsetup003.jpg

And there's my Wii, next to a couple power bricks and a GC controller. All my power cords hook up to an extension cord that goes behind the entertainment center.

gamingsetup004.jpg

Here's a DDR pad, it just kinda lies on the floor there.

gamingsetup005.jpg

Here's my computer space in another room. Pretty messy. As you can see, I have my laptop mounted on this device that makes it a bit more like using a desktop. I can adjust the height and such, and then I just unhook the laptop when I'm on the go. I think I got that sound setup for about $50. You might also notice that my logitech mouse has significant wear and tear. That's my PC gamepad on the left with my headphones, and you can sorta make out my DS case there on the far right. And yes, those are in fact, socks on the floor. I'm lazy and like to take them off while at home, and that's usually where they wind up.

gamingsetup006.jpg

And there's my old mark-1 Genesis in yet another room, hooked up to a small TV via RF. Yes, that is in fact a small beanie bear next to a deal of trash bags.

Cheeto

ZealousD said:
Alright guys, I'm going to enter the running for "most ghetto" setup. I hope you enjoy!
I just bought my first house...as soon as I get my girlfriend's camera working I'll post a picture of a real "ghetto" setup.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
WhatRuOn said:
I just bought my first house...as soon as I get my girlfriend's camera working I'll post a picture of a real "ghetto" setup.

I dunno, scotch tape and a door that won't close are gonna be hard to beat!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
ZealousD said:

gamingsetup001.jpg

First, you can see my setup is old as dirt. That is an old Mitsubishi television that has to be at least 17 years old. You can also count 3 VCRs, one of which (the top on on the left) is actually mounted into the entertainment center itself.

As you might also notice, the video cords are coming out of the left side of the TV. I actually only have two composite outputs on this TV and one S-Video, which is taken by the DVD player. I have to go through the system selector (on the very bottom) in order to hook up both my Wii and PS2.

You may notice I'm not taking a picture of my couch or anything. That's because I usually just pull my office chair from my computer room and set it in front of the TV to play. We'll get to the computer later.

gamingsetup002.jpg

That's not my entire game collection right there, that's just a selection of recent games. Most of the others are in another room. If you want to see my whole collection, it's here on IGN. You might notice some cords taped to the center. Those are actually cords for my EyeToy, and I've simply taped them to keep them out of the way.

gamingsetup003.jpg

And there's my Wii, next to a couple power bricks and a GC controller. All my power cords hook up to an extension cord that goes behind the entertainment center.

gamingsetup004.jpg

Here's a DDR pad, it just kinda lies on the floor there.

gamingsetup005.jpg

Here's my computer space in another room. Pretty messy. As you can see, I have my laptop mounted on this device that makes it a bit more like using a desktop. I can adjust the height and such, and then I just unhook the laptop when I'm on the go. I think I got that sound setup for about $50. You might also notice that my logitech mouse has significant wear and tear. That's my PC gamepad on the left with my headphones, and you can sorta make out my DS case there on the far right. And yes, those are in fact, socks on the floor. I'm lazy and like to take them off while at home, and that's usually where they wind up.

gamingsetup006.jpg

And there's my old mark-1 Genesis in yet another room, hooked up to a small TV via RF. Yes, that is in fact a small beanie bear next to a deal of trash bags.

Dude, are those dirty socks... underneath your computer desk? Holy... shit... that is excellent. I mean, it's like a collection of the lil' fuggers just hanging out while you get your game on.

Cdammen

Alfarif said:
Dude, are those dirty socks... underneath your computer desk? Holy... shit... that is excellent. I mean, it's like a collection of the lil' fuggers just hanging out while you get your game on.
Dude, learn to quote. Replace the

emacs

Sharp Aquos LC-37D62U
Energy C-50 (fronts and surrounds) and C-C50 (centre)
Definitive Technology ProSub 1000
PlayStation 3 (60GB)
Onkyo TX-SR605
Oppo DV980-H
Bello PVS-4218HG

homeTheatre-20080101-480.jpg

Gravitom

ht1.jpg

ht2.jpg

ht3.jpg

Panasonic AX-100U 720 Projector
Onkyo SR-674 Receiver
Paradigm Cinema 220 LCRs
Cambridge Soundworks Newton S305 Surrounds
Buttkicker LFE Transducer (not hooked up yet)
Xbox360
Wii
PS3 (has never had a game in it, just for Blu-ray)
PC (Yes I play PC on my couch in surround sound)
Home Depot Blackout shades

As you can tell I hate seeing consoles and wires. I had to notch out my ceilling and re-plaster it to run the HDMI and speaker wire. I still have to build my screen and mount my left and right speakers to the wall. It looks damn good on the grey wall so I haven't been in a rush. I know my place is small compared to most NeoGAF but I live in NY so give me a break. Also it looks much better in person.

Doesn't that light switch bother you while viewing things?

That would drive me nuts, but you're building a screen so its all good. Nice to see another projector user here :D

Ecto311

Gravitom said:
ht1.jpg

ht2.jpg

ht3.jpg

Onkyo SR-674 Receiver
Paradigm Cinema 220 LCRs
Xbox360
Wii

As you can tell I hate seeing consoles and wires. I had to notch out my ceilling and re-plaster it to run the HDMI and speaker wire. I still have to build my screen and mount my left and right speakers to the wall. It looks damn good on the grey wall so I haven't been in a rush. I know my place is small compared to most NeoGAF but I live in NY so give me a break. Also it looks much better in person.

What kind of curtains are you using for the windows? I have an Infocus 4805 and its a bitch to get the room dark to play during the day. Maybe if I can get a curtain situation figured out that is not totally ghetto I'll post the set up.

hiryu

Gravitom said:
Onkyo SR-674 Receiver
Paradigm Cinema 220 LCRs
Xbox360
Wii

Nice setup, do you know where you got the desk holding your monitors?

JRW

Wow I actually went through every page :lol There's some great setup's here Ill post mine in a bit.

JRW

I recently bought a Pioneer Kuro 50" Plasma to use as my main movie / gaming TV:

Some pics from the Kuro:

HP_bluray.jpg

HP_bluray2.jpg

HP_bluray3.jpg

HP_bluray4.jpg

burnout360.jpg

And the CRT I was using previously, a Sony 34XBR960 HDTV, I have no plans to get rid of it tho:

mygameroomr.jpg

IMG_1915r.jpg

Crank_Bluray_1080i.jpg

JRW

radiuhm said:
That looks amazing, just breath taking, that's the kuro right?

Thats actually the CRT playing a Bluray movie. The 'super fine pitch' tube used in the XBR960 really helped with 1080i clarity vs. other CRTs.

JRW said:
Thats actually the CRT playing a Bluray movie. The 'super fine pitch' tube used in the XBR960 really helped with 1080i clarity vs. other CRTs.

I always wanted a CRT HDTV but when I finally had the money to get one the market was devoid of them :(

NekoFever

JRW said:
That's why I wish they wouldn't drop CRT HDTVs. They don't look as sexy as LCDs and plasmas (I assume that's why people don't want them) but you won't get a picture that good without spending a small fortune on a slim TV.

Ciel

Is it just me or does the PS3 have a really fucking cool interface? I feel it really adds a lot of sexy to a setup, especially for those of you with the higher end TVs.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NekoFever said:
That's why I wish they wouldn't drop CRT HDTVs. They don't look as sexy as LCDs and plasmas (I assume that's why people don't want them) but you won't get a picture that good without spending a small fortune on a slim TV.
It's a snapshot. A similar snapshot of many other TVs would result in a similar quality image.

Birbo

NekoFever said:

So I shouldn't be in such a hurry to replace my Sony 36" XBR800?

Gravitom

Ecto311 said:
What kind of curtains are you using for the windows? I have an Infocus 4805 and its a bitch to get the room dark to play during the day. Maybe if I can get a curtain situation figured out that is not totally ghetto I'll post the set up.

http://www.levolor.com/products/cellular-shades/

The Evening Star Blockouts. It sucks that I have a bay window because it drove the cost up a lot.

hiryu said:
Nice setup, do you know where you got the desk holding your monitors?

Ikea Galant

sspeedy

you all have great setups! and some of you who are 'updating'... I'd take your old sets any day :lol

So I'm new to hdtvs. I'm looking to buy one in the next 2 months, given nothing else breaks. I know nothing about them.. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I also want good customer service just in case something goes wrong. I'm looking to spend about $1200ish. Nothing huge, as I live in an apartment and the room's kinda small (around 37" would be cool). Right now I have a regular ol' tv barely 20" heh.

Anyway, kudos to all these magnificent setups.

JRW

Birbo said:
So I shouldn't be in such a hurry to replace my Sony 36" XBR800?

Although the 34XBR960 CRT has awesome picture quality going from a 34" to 50" screen made a huge difference when watching movies & playing videogames. It's worth it for the size increase alone, But being I'm so incredibly picky with picture quality I couldn't settle for anything less than the Pioneer Kuro which was expensive but has amazing picture quality and black levels...

I tried a few LCDs before realising I was wasting my time and decided to try Plasma. I first tried a popular Panasonic 1080p model but it had poor black levels compared to my CRT (same deal with the LCDs although the plasma wasnt as bad), I finally ended up with the Kuro plasma and couldnt be happier, it's capable of deep crt like black levels even in a dark room which alone makes a huge difference to overall picture quality.

Tabris

Here is my gaming setup, not pictured is my SNES or my Rockband Drums (away in the closet until friends come out as I don't personally drum)

front.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

leftconsole.jpg

rightconsole.jpg

cabinet.jpg

games1.jpg

games2.jpg

games3.jpg

Top Bottom