• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu says no custom wallpapers for PS4

So you can't change the look of the front end at all?

Find it hard to believe they'd so easily throw away the theme money they got from those shitty premium themes on the store for no reason.

They must have made billions off those easily.
jk

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well that's lame. Hopefully I gets patched in later on.

Did the PS3 have customizable backgrounds at launch?

No.
iC0anHs.png

llHjIui.png

This long gen has made it easy to forget how barebones the console was at launch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
This sucks, especially as the ps3 and vita allow it. With the PS4 having built in screenshot functionality I would have thought it would have been a no beginner to allow people to use them as wallpapers. Hopefully it will be added via a patch like they did with ps3.

Edit: even cooler would be of they allowed people to completely customise the UI and share their themes.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Da fuck? So I gotta look at garish ass blue screens all the time? Come on.

All the time? Maybe you'll be playing games or something sometimes ┐(´ー`)┌

Agree it's dumb not to include it but will probably be included later / not something I really care about.

zeopower6

Just wait for the eventual system update. :/

It's not that big of a dealbreaker, is it? It was in 2.00 for the PSP too.

UNCMark

Banned
Sony, your warts are starting to show.

I hate this simply because what they've shown of the UI stinks, but I assumed I could put a custom or bought skin on it all and fix it. I assume eventually it will happen. I'm surprised they're passing up on such easy money.

Whuuuuuuuuut!? It's like a basic standard feature that a next gen console should have.

Not really a big deal but it's a nice feature to have. Could change in the future though.

Minions

This totally affects the usability of the OS!

Seriously? It will get patched in, it doesn't even matter. People just want something to bitch about. Features like standby etc. I can see people being disappointed. Changing a background is so far down the list.

TriGen

I never changed my background theme once on PS3, so I'm not bothered. It is surprising that you can't though.

I'm sure it'll be in a firmware update in the not-so-distant future.

zeopower6

Seriously, neither the PSP (ver. 2.0) or PS3 (ver. 1.9) had that feature at launch... can people stop acting like this is a big deal?

Hmmm that actually does suck.

I loved changing my themes and putting in custom backgrounds or dynamic themes.

Maybe it'll change sometime in the future

Jigolo

Well thankfully they have a product for people who want to customize their wallpaper. It's called PlayStation 3.

haha Don Mattrick 2.0.

It is pretty stupid though since the PS3 has had it basically since launch and the Vita had it since it launched. But I guess the priority right now for both MS and Sony is to get the next gen consoles out the door. Realistically both consoles should have launched early next year.

My guess is Sony is just trying to put the base firmware out there for most of the gaming stuff and all that other non important stuff like this for future updates. I'd expect an update for this in 2014 so no big deal.

I guess these are some of the pains us day 1 owners will have to go through at launch. Oh well, that said November 15 can't get here soon enough.

zroid

Banned
that sucks. will it still have paid wallpapers and themes, at least? those must be cheap revenue generators for them, would be stupid to remove the feature.

Seriously, neither the PSP (ver. 2.0) or PS3 (ver. 1.9) had that feature at launch... can people stop acting like this is a big deal?

what if it is a big deal to some people?

Top Bottom