• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu Yoshida: "Console Debut" means it may come to other consoles in the future (NNK2)

gogogow

All "console debut" means is that it's not locked down. Don't take it as anything more. It's not an announcement that it'll *ever* go to another console, simply that the possibility exists for it to (unlike say, SF5).

Yeah, I know? That's why I specifically said "potential" NX port.

jmga

How is that? The original Ni No Kuni didn't come to any platform besides PS3 and DS. It wasn't a Sony owned franchise, it could have been ported to anything. Just like this one.
Or have I missed the NNK PC/X1 release after the timed exclusivity window was up?

I think it's mostly just a case of the playstation userbase being the most receptive to JRPG's out of all the platforms available. Hence why it's launching there.
If there's enough monetary incentives to release on other platforms, they will. I just don't think it's all that likely seeing these games cater to a relatively niche audience.

Again, was the previous game 'tied to PS3'? It was originally a DS game.

You can't compare the cost of porting a game during last gen, when many japanese devs were focused on PS3 with its very peculiar architecture, with the cost of making a port today, when almost everything is made to be multiplatform.

Videogames industry changes pretty fast.

I this comes to Xbox One I would be very happy. If I needed to wait a year exra for each episode I will manage....

Also People on Twitter need to get a grip, almost as bad as the FFXIII Xbox reveal thread!

So does anyone think this or any of these other 'Console Debut' announced games might come over to Xbox ot are we only associating it with the NX?

I'm not really a fan of JRPG's, at all but I suppose it would be good for the folks that are.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You can't compare the cost of porting a game during last gen, when many japanese devs were focused on PS3 with its very peculiar architecture, with the cost of making a port today, where almost everything is made to be multiplatform.

Videogames industry changes pretty fast.

I hope you're right. NNK is glorious.

But all i'm saying is that the previous game was never exclusive to PS3 yet didn't see a single port to other systems. I have a feeling the same will happen to the sequel, unless it turns out to be a massively popular game and franchise all of a sudden.

And while obviously porting is easier with current-gen systems, it's still likely not as trivial a decision as you're implying. Ports still take a lot of time and a lot of money.

jmga

I hope you're right. NNK is glorious.

But all i'm saying is that the previous game was never exclusive to PS3 yet didn't see a single port to other systems. I have a feeling the same will happen to the sequel, unless it turns out to be a massively popular game and franchise all of a sudden.

And while obviously porting is easier with current-gen systems, it's still likely not as trivial a decision as you're implying. Ports still take a lot of time and a lot of money.

I know its not such a trivial decision. But japanese devs are making some money from PC lately, and investing more and more on PC versions, despite sells usually are a lot lower than on PS4.

Sjefen

Only on playstation - Vita/PS3/PS4
Console exclusive - coming to PC as well
Only on Playstation 4 - a true exclusive
First to PS4 - timed exclusive

coastel

That reply is amazing and I suppose thats how they have to word it, even if it may not come to another platform. Still confusing though.

Only on playstation - Vita/PS3/PS4
Console exclusive - coming to PC as well
Only on Playstation 4 - a true exclusive
First to PS4 - timed exclusive

I mean, not really. They can also come to PC.
NPb16Nil.jpg

011750.jpg

final_fantasy_x_x2_hd_remastered_raw.jpg

gtj1092

Why is NNK2 in the title when Shu specifically says he doesn't know what the contract is with this game in the tweet?

Danneee

I never understood why you'd get mad because a game gets a release on a another consone in addition to the one you prefer.

gtj1092

I'm guessing because NNK2 was one of two games with that label at PSX.

But it seems to be implying he is clarifying the confusion about the game. There is no clarification. We already knew what console debut meant. What we don't know is whether boyes misspoke.

But it seems to be implying he is clarifying the confusion about the game. There is no clarification. We already knew what console debut meant. What we don't know is whether boyes misspoke.

other than boyes and the one tweet, every other media regarding the game hasn't mentioned anything about exclusivity, so i think it's reasonable to assume that ni no kuni 2 is coming to other platform(s).

Yeah, this. There's another one, some JRPG which is also on Steam.

Yeah, there are several other vita games like Neptunia and such.
Even more from yesterday's steamdb leaks.

Wouldn't those count as console exclusives? I can understand if they didn't write it on the box to prevent confusion.

Yes, perhaps.
'Only on Playstation' is the previous term of 'Console exclusive' for Playstation consoles.

my god people are dumb. console debut is literately the clearest and most concise way to say it will appear on PS4 before xbone/wiiu/nx/etc

Hoo-doo

Banned
other than boyes and the one tweet, every other media regarding the game hasn't mentioned anything about exclusivity, so i think it's reasonable to assume that ni no kuni 2 is coming to other platform(s).

Just as likely as Ni No Kuni 1 multiplat ports were in 2013. Which didn't happen.

So yes, there's always a possibility. But it certainly isn't confirmed or even very likely. Maybe they'll get around to porting NNK1 to these other platforms first.

thenexus6

Wow that guy.. crazy response.

"Console Exclusive" - Exclusive to that particular console, may release on PC.

"Timed Console Exclusive" - Exclusive to that particular console for the time being, release on other console(s) later. May release on PC.

"Console Debut" - Releasing on that particular console first, others to come later.

Really not that hard to understand is it.

People saying As if this needed asking lolz are ignoring the fact Adam Boyes said that it was a "exclusive PS4 title", (it should also be noted that the game before NNKII was said to be "making its console debut exclusively on PS4", so we know he was at least differentiating between the two terms) but the wording behind him after the trailer said different. So yeah, there's nothing wrong with wanting clarification on the matter in such cases. Ditto if Adam made a genuine mistake. Shit happens.

Guymelef

Too much confusion from this show.

Console Exclusive implies there's a PC version.
Console Debut implies possibility of release on other platforms.

Yakuza 0 has been out in Japan since February for PlayStation 4 and PS3. The slide called it a "PS4 Console Exclusive." Sega's press release mentioned nothing about a PC version.

Gio Corsi called Nioh "exclusive to our platform." The announcement trailer for Japan at SCEJA Press Conference 2015 said "2016 - Only on PlayStation 4." The YouTube description for the new trailer released at PlayStation Experience says: "Nioh is a dark, samurai-centric, action RPG currently in development by Koei Tecmo Games exclusively for the PlayStation 4 platform." The slide said "PlayStation 4 Console Exclusive."

Both Gio Corsi and the slide called The King of Fighters XIV a "console exclusive," but the latest press release (released today) is headlined with "PlayStation 4 Exclusive The King of Fighters XIV."

The slide called Ace Combat 7 a "PS VR Exclusive." The press release indicates it's a PlayStation 4 game with support for PlayStation VR.

Adam Boyes called Ni no Kuni an "exclusive PlayStation 4 title" and the PlayStation Twitter account also called it an "exclusive" title. The slide said "PS4 Console Debut."

Anyway, whatever the case may be, these are all coming to PlayStation 4, and if you like most of these, there's a chance you enjoy Japanese video games, and there's a shit ton more coming to PlayStation 4, so be happy.

Really good sumary
You can add this to Ni No Kuni confusion "PlayStation®4専用ソフト"

They should forget those banners next time.

This days is hard to talk about something exclusive if it's not first party. As Yoshida says it means "may come" but at the same time "may not"

Eolz

It's pretty impressive how someone can read "may" and interpret that as "will".

Do you honestly think one of the big three will say " oh yeah it's definitely coming to another platform!"? Of course he will say "may" instead. But it will, Level 5 wouldn't care if it was announced as an exclusive otherwise.

Top Bottom