• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shu Yoshida: "Console Debut" means it may come to other consoles in the future (NNK2)

gtj1092

Sorry, the first tweet didn't link properly:

nnk2ecoqd.png

Added it to the OP.

Ok but he didn't answer the question and redirected saying he is not the person to ask.

On Demand

Banned
They just don't want a repeat of the Wii and Wii U. Can't blame em at all.

Can't really blame them for hoping the NX is going to be the machine of their dreams.

But man it looks exactly like the ol' Wii-U speculation threads. God, the hopes and dreams in those threads were out of control.

It happened with the WiiU. Some things never change.

You can want a platform to be successful without resulting to nonsense. Besides, i doubt NX will perform as badly as WiiU.

All this port begging from ghost NX owners, and PC owners, tells me PS4 does indeed have plenty games to play that people like. Makes you wonder about those "still has nothing i want yet" or "exclusive library is weak" post.

Undertale:
Owners: 424,289 ± 15,997

ss_9025a366676c26046b1d08e94ab1a73406aa11db.jpg

Hyperdimensional Neptunia:
Owners: 199,247 ± 10,967

ss_5c870de97ffeebc58ea69a5879324982737e1c58.jpg
Both of these games have been discounted numerous times and they all launched with a very cheap price compared to the $59.99 for Ni No Kuni 2 that I expect as its price on a potential Steam release.

Dragon Quest Heroes ($49.99)
Owners: 11,869 ± 2,677

One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 ($49.99)
Owners: 43,363 ± 5,117

Tales of Zestiria ($49.99) and launched with a pre-order offer giving away Tales of Symphones collection HD for free
Owners: 82,294 ± 7,049

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC($29.99)
Owners: 10,762 ± 2,549

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD($29.99)
Owners: 75,014 ± 6,730

It is easy to gain users on Steam if you try to offer steeper discounts and launch at a cheap price like Hyperdimension Neptunia or Undertale. But majority of these sales won't happen if you launch at a price higher than or equal to $29.99 so the number of users is meaningless.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It is easy to gain users on Steam if you try to offer steeper discounts and launch at a cheap price like Hyperdimension Neptunia or Undertale. But majority of these sales won't happen if you launch at a price higher than or equal to $29.99 so the number of users is meaningless.
Well, yes, it's a long tail digital revenue platform. That's what people come there for.

Plus, here's how these games sold at retail in NPD:

toz ~ 58k
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

jd2016 ~ 38k, Wii ~ 39%

That's Tales of Zestiria at 58K in the US (between both PS4 and PS3), and Dragon Quest Heroes at 31K in the US on PS4.

Not much of a market in the US for PS4 JRPGs either apparently.

If it wasn't for Nintendo's new thing coming next year I would say Xbox One, but as much as I would love to see a fantastic JRPG on my Xbox One, I doubt it will happen.

gtj1092

Well, yes, it's a long tail digital revenue platform. That's what people come there for.

Plus, here's how these games sold at retail in NPD:

That's Tales of Zestiria at 58K in the US (between both PS4 and PS3), and Dragon Quest Heroes at 31K in the US on PS4.

Not much of a market in the US for PS4 JRPGs either apparently.

Aren't the steam numbers WW? Not that I agree with the original post saying there isn't a market for Japanese games on PC.

I am getting a vibe that the mods are trying to feed this idea of games coming to other systems narrative. Thought it use to be banded to speculate about titles being ported.

I mean couldn't we do this with every non 1st party game?

Eolz

I am getting a vibe that the mods are trying to feed this idea of games coming to other systems narrative. Thought it use to be banded to speculate about titles being ported.

It's not a narrative or port-begging when Sony basically agrees on that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Aren't the steam numbers WW? Not that I agree with the original post saying there isn't a market for Japanese games on PC.

Context.

This thread is explicitly about "console debuts". Game announcement threads cover the platforms a game is releasing on as a topic. This isn't people marching into a gameplay video thread three months from now to discuss the platform for 50%+ of the thread posts.

When we were knocking people around for port begging, it was because it was actually impossible to have a discussion in Epic Mickey or PSP game (Valk, Metal Gear) threads, even five threads past the initial announcement.

Beyond this, well, frankly it actually happens these days when it never used to, and developers often cite fan feedback for porting their game to PC, Wii U, Vita, PS4, etc. So, as long as it's in appropriate venues, it's hard for me to see an issue.

As for your other point, yes, those are worldwide Steam numbers. Maybe these games perform significantly better in Europe, but even if you doubled or tripled them for Europe, they're not very large.

Now, if the argument is the port is too expensive to get on other platforms for a Western release, since a PS4 release is presumably being made for Japan in the first place, that's possible. However, even if we look at DarkLordMalik's list of lower initial performers on Steam, we're seeing those games coming again and again, so presumably it's not especially costly or considered to not being worthwhile. Given they're eating the localization cost for some pretty low sales on PS4 in the West as well, not to mention some of these games might have other language translations for markets like France and Germany, I don't think it's hard to see why we've seen games in general get ported around much more since a bunch of small drops add up over time.

Apathy

Shu didn't confirm this, as shown in a later tweet where he says he's not the person to ask about the actual arrangement. He was merely clarifying what the term means.

And he isn't. He's the first party guy, third party is handled by Adam and gio. Hell Adam made the "exclusive" flub that got us into this conversation, people should be asking him.

Outrun

He is not the right person to say anything??

Apparently not...

I understand how Sony and MS need to talk up their systems and look out for their own interests.

However, I feel that the industry as a whole needs to focus on clarity and stop creating new terms to throw off the consumer.

It is tiring at the moment...

prwxv3

People who only care it its exclusive can go fuck off. You still get the game grow up. And anyone that uses the fact that a game is multiplatform to attack a certain console can fuck off too.

It's not a narrative or port-begging when Sony basically agrees on that.
I think it was already written by someone in here, but it's basically like this:

Has Sony (or MS/Nintendo) helped with development, funding or publishing? If the answer is yes, it is at the very least console exclusive.

Those games can come to PC, see Street Fighter 5 for example, since Sony doesn't mind from the look of it. Another example would be Bayonetta, Nintendo funded the game, so it's as exclusive as a 1st party game, minus the PC part.

Has Sony (or MS/Nintendo) no hand in development, funding or publishing? If the answer is yes, then it's up to the publisher wether a game is (time-) exclusive or not, and this decision can change!

See: Zombi U -> Zombi PS4/XOne, or Tomb Raider.

So, in the end, with NNK 2 Level 5 and Bandai-Namco have to decide.
You want to play NNK2 for sure? Go get a PS4, as it's announced for this system, and only for this system as of now. If you're fine with platform/port-gambling, then just wait and see what happens.

Also, if "NX port begging" is a meme (which isn't really a thing imo, just offendend console warriors right now), then i want "everything on PS4 plz" to be a meme, too! Some of you need to remember the situation before the DQ XI announcement ... "For PS4 because of reasons", "On PS4 because Verendus", etc. ... it's just as annoying. :D

Disclaimer: The poster of this post is covered, because he has every current gen console! *lucky/enoughmoney*

labaronx

I don't get why you guys are so certain.
Their previous games were just as third party and never saw release on other platforms.

Exactly if the game bombs critically why would they even bother porting it anywhere else

And as far as japan a game could still be ported to ps3 too

Isn't it simple ? It'll come first to PS4 and then maybe to other platforms, because there is no exclusive deal.

And no offense, but these NX posts are kinda dumb. Great for you being a Nintendo Fanboy, but keep that shit out of here.

"Day One on my NX". Lol.

The amount of NX port begging lately is hilarious. The system doesn't even exist yet.

It happened with the WiiU. Some things never change.

You guys do realize that the first Ni no Kuni was on DS as well, right?

It's not that crazy to think the second has a good chance of coming to NX. I'm not saying it will, but acting like it's some ridiculous notion is silly.

JoseLopez

So one guy doesn't understand it or is purposing being obtuse and the whole of GAF has a problem? No the good thing about GAF, is that users that continually act like that usually don't last long here, other places are a free for all
Besides the fact it wasn't just him that's not at all what I said but let me clarify, I meant that gaf isn't free from people thinking this which is true.

I think it is pretty disgusting the way people act online\twitter. Shu takes time out of his day to answer this persons question and they respond with threats of violence. That's pretty disrespectful. There is no reason to act that way.

Exile20

It's not that crazy to think the second has a good chance of coming to NX. I'm not saying it will, but acting like it's some ridiculous notion is silly.

The Nintendo hate in this threat is really weird. I just don't get it.

Snorlocs

If it wasn't for Nintendo's new thing coming next year I would say Xbox One, but as much as I would love to see a fantastic JRPG on my Xbox One, I doubt it will happen.

Right? This coming to Xbox would be a dream come true. NX is more probable though. Sigh. Here's to hoping.

Do you feel comfortable when someone goes into thread which has a game announced for Nintendo platform and say "Day 1 on PS4" and continue act like that in every single Nintedo threads?

Do you feel comfortable when someone goes into thread which has a game announced for Nintendo platform and say "Day 1 on PS4" and continue act like that in every single Nintedo threads?
Not counting threads for 1st party games, but yes, this has happened, not so much now due to Wii U getting mostly Nintendo software only, but at the beginning of this gen? Sure. I can even provide one heck of a good example ... Bayonetta 2.

Both of these games have been discounted numerous times and they all launched with a very cheap price compared to the $59.99 for Ni No Kuni 2 that I expect as its price on a potential Steam release.

Tales of Zestiria ($49.99) and launched with a pre-order offer giving away Tales of Symphones collection HD for free

Your data on Dragon Quest Heroes is irrelevant considering it's still in the top Steam and has been only 4 days.
It's also easier to gain users on Steam with a day and date release. The truth is, what you're showing is out of the bunch, Tales of Zestiria is the best selling one, by having a day and date release.

Of all things, you're basically showing Steam is a viable platform for these titles. Ni No Kuni 2 launching at full price, day and date with PS4 would basically profit from the hype and marketing a day one release produce and would likely get a lot more users than some of these games.

Dragon Quest Heroes still is in the top and in term of revenue, for now, has produced in 3 days, nearly as much revenue as DQH PS4 release in 1 month in USA. One Piece Pirate Warriors 3, despite being a bad port of a worn out serie (because yes, OPW sales has been downward) still manage comfortable revenue. FF Type 0 HD, despite its mixed reception, still managed to sell that much at a similar price, without the FFXV demo.

As for Legend of Heroes SC, there wasn't much hope for what is a 2005 JRPG at 30 dollars to set sales on fire, with such a small IP. Although, legs are expected, the same way FC got legs too.

In any case, what you're showing is that the platform still has shown a good reception to these games.

Not counting threads for 1st party games, but yes, this has happened, not so much now due to Wii U getting mostly Nintendo software only, but at the beginning of this gen? Sure. I can even provide one heck of a good example ... Bayonetta 2.

And recently JRPG threads with PS4 announcement with NX guy too. So I hope Nintendo fans don't act like we hate Nintendo games or you guys

And he isn't. He's the first party guy, third party is handled by Adam and gio. Hell Adam made the "exclusive" flub that got us into this conversation, people should be asking him.

No third party decisions are handled by third parties. It is up to them if the games remain exclusive or do not.

Of course but the point is you have no idea what the NX even is. People are jumping to conclusions just like they did with the WiiU and we all know how that turned out. Not saying NX will have a similar fate just that its too early to be making these jumps.

Those DQH numbers ;____;

Of course but the point is you have no idea what the NX even is. People are jumping to conclusions just like they did with the WiiU and we all know how that turned out. Not saying NX will have a similar fate just that its too early to be making these jumps.

Those DQH numbers ;____;

First: DQH still is in the top as opposed to a lot of KT/SE releases. Second, it just performs the same way it did on PS4, which means not good. DQ isn't popular in west, so a DQ spin off will be even less. It all comes down to SE expectations.

On Demand

Banned

Yeah there's plenty of JRPG's with no exclusive deal that's only for PS4. Why people are using this to prove it's multiplatform i have no idea. All we know right now it's PS4 exclusive.

It seems extreme lengths are being used to get the idea around that it's not exclusive, when in fact it is. We might as well debate every JRPG that has been announced for PS4 only.

Ridiculous.

Exile20

Hate on the user then not the system. Seems people are using his comments to shit on the Wii U.

Plus it happens in most Nintendo threads especially if it is not announced on PS4. Anyway.

Shabad

Apparently not...

I understand how Sony and MS need to talk up their systems and look out for their own interests.

However, I feel that the industry as a whole needs to focus on clarity and stop creating new terms to throw off the consumer.

It is tiring at the moment...

I really don't understand what's unclear about it. Ni No Kuni 2 is coming exclusively on PS4. Sony doesn't have any right on this though, so if Level 5 eventually decide to port the game to other platforms, they will have every righr to do so.

They may decide not to either, chances are they don't even know and that would hinge on the success (or lack thereof) of other RPGs on hypothetical port platform - be it 3DS, NX, Steam, Xbox One, or iOS for that matter.

What do you want them to say instead given the situation ?

Yeah I don't get it either. Given the first game being on a Nintendo system and Level-5's relationship with Nintendo, it seems like it's plausible to me, certainly more plausible than it coming to Xbone. How many Level-5 games are on Xbox again?
Zero

Context. This thread is literally about platform discussion of NnK2. There is nothing wrong with discussing what systems the game will come out for in this thread. Now, in the reveal thread or general discussion thread, the ire is understandable, but this isn't one of those threads.

AmuroChan

There is no "may" come to other consoles it's more like it will go to other consoles.

I don't think that's true at all. The "may" part is because there's no exclusivity contract between Sony and the publisher of the game. The publisher chose to release the game exclusively on Sony's platform first. It may or may not be ported to other platforms later on. That happens with many Japanese games.

4Tran

Yeah I don't get it either. Given the first game being on a Nintendo system and Level-5's relationship with Nintendo, it seems like it's plausible to me, certainly more plausible than it coming to Xbone. How many Level-5 games are on Xbox again?
Zero
It's also possible that Ni no Kuni 2 won't release anywhere other than PS4 as well. It's not as if there was anything keeping Bandai Namco from releasing Wrath of the White Witch anywhere. And calling it a "Console Debut" doesn't change that.

Context. This thread is literally about platform discussion of NnK2. There is nothing wrong with discussing what systems the game will come out for in this thread. Now, in the reveal thread or general discussion thread, the ire is understandable, but this isn't one of those threads.

Fair enough

Top Bottom