• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill arcade? Tekken 6 to be shown tomorrow?

Jacobi said:
fight night

Fight Night's preceduaral animations has noticeable problems. I even punched a guy in the back of the neck and they other guy's animation reaction was quite blah.

It looks like jerky stop motion, put the two boxer super close to each otehr face to face and throw punches, it doesn't look hot at all.

and the rap music... yeah. Sugar Ray and Jake Lamotta had rap music in the 50s when they entered the ring,, yeah

WickedLaharl said:
ngbbs435450208c40d.jpg

You truly believe that?:lol

that looks like crap actually, so yeah, PS2 has surpassed that.

jett

D-Member
Dali said:
If your point is that the PS2 has met and possibly exceeded the quality of the FFVIII waltz tech demo then I agree 100%. However using emulator screen caps is definitely not helping the cause (the last link).

Eh the only thing the emulator does is output a cleaner image because of the higher res. Resize it to 640x480 in your head. :p

FFX's cut-scene models easily destroyed the FF8 demo.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the androgyne said:
wtf is with the twisted right arm on this pic?! Nice modelling!
aou_bn19.jpg
Ummm.. That is some kind of "impact" distorting the FOV.
Like heat distortion from the punch, that is an effect not a modeling issue.

Chris_C

I'm fine with the polycounts and models really, I think they could use some SSS on the skin shaders and a more sophisticated hair rendering solution though.

More than the graphics I'm disappointed that the gameplay seems to have remained unchanged. The E3 demo was ugly but it hinted at a broadening of the scope of the genre.

Dali

Chris_C said:
I'm fine with the polycounts and models really, I think they could use some SSS on the skin shaders and a more sophisticated hair rendering solution though.

More than the graphics I'm disappointed that the gameplay seems to have remained unchanged. The E3 demo was ugly but it hinted at a broadening of the scope of the genre.

SSS is possible to do realtime on PS3 (or any next-gen console)? Not trolling. Really curious.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jett said:
Yes.

I mean look at FF8 faces... they're like simpler plastic characters.... X has more realistic faces. (less realistic hairstyles though :p which is actually harder to pull off I suppose.....)

Chris_C

Dali said:
SSS is possible to do realtime on PS3 (or any next-gen console)? Not trolling. Really curious.

I don't think real SSS is possible in real-time in complex environments, but developers have been able to fake it pretty successfully since the late PS2 days. It usually seems to involve some sort of ambient lighting effect localised on the target characters.

Dali

jett said:
Eh the only thing the emulator does is output a cleaner image because of the higher res. Resize it to 640x480 in your head. :p

Wrong. You also have the ability to change the AA settings. While the screenshot may or may not have had AA turned up, the fact that the emulator allows you to do this makes any screen shot taken through it unreliable as a true example of the PS2's capabilites.

EDIT:

Chris_C said:
I don't think real SSS is possible in real-time in complex environments, but developers have been able to fake it pretty successfully since the late PS2 days. It usually seems to involve some sort of ambient lighting effect localised on the target characters.

Thanks. It takes a while to render something on my PC with GI and SSS. Granted the polys in one of my scenes is probably more than a game (maybe), but it still didn't seem possible for that to be done realtime.

Kolgar

A day has passed and looking at those T6 shots again, I'd love to hear Namco's explanation.

How can Sega's fighter, developed on the supposedly far inferior Lindbergh arcade board, look so much better than Tekken 6? HOW long has Namco had to work on this? CELL and RSX are supposedly HOW much better than anything we've seen before?

First we get the godly CGI image at E3 '05, then the next two showings are a crock of PlayStation 2.5 shit. What the hell is going on?

I play a lot of fighting games, and I always go back to Tekken. But man, we're in the so-called next generation now, and my expectations are higher. Even after all the fake footage and bullshots we've been fed, PS3 should be capable of more.

Underwhelmed. Disappointed. No amount of damage control can rationalize this. If Namco wants to turn things around, they'd better get their act together, and fast.

Kolgar said:
A day has passed and looking at those T6 shots again, I'd love to hear Namco's explanation.

How can Sega's fighter, developed on the supposedly far inferior Lindbergh arcade board, look so much better than Tekken 6? HOW long has Namco had to work on this? CELL and RSX are supposedly HOW much better than anything we've seen before?

First we get the godly CGI image at E3 '05, then the next two showings are a crock of PlayStation 2.5 shit. What the hell is going on?

I play a lot of fighting games, and I always go back to Tekken. But man, we're in the so-called next generation now, and my expectations are higher. Even after all the fake footage and bullshots we've been fed, PS3 should be capable of more.

Underwhelmed. Disappointed. No amount of damage control can rationalize this. If Namco wants to turn things around, they'd better get their act together, and fast.

Move to Japan and help them.

Well, the 720p shots do bring out a little more flaws that I didn't really see before. I still the think the final product should look quite nice considering what I know Namco is truly capable of. Judging by how empty some of the backgrounds are, this is probably still quite early.

Pimpwerx

Kolgar said:

Tekken 6 - To be released by the end of 07 for PS3 arcade chipset
*checks calendar*
*scratches head*

Kolgar said:

the only explaination that would be reasonable would be something like;

"we started developing Tekken 6 for the faster PS2-based arcade hardware, System 256, but then ported it to the new PS3-based hardware. we're purposely not taking advantage of what PS3 can do because we'd like to bring Tekken 6 to the PS2 and PSP also. with the next Tekken after this, we hope to fully realize the potential of the PS3"

you know something? I think Ridge Racers (PSP), Ridge Racer 6 (X360), Ridge Racer 7 (PS3) and Ridge Racers 2 (PSP) are all scaled up/down versions of the unreleased Ridge Racer 6 for PS2. that would explain alot, as well as Tekken 6.

maybe that theory sounds crazy - but you know something? far, far stranger things have happened in the videogame industry.

Dali

Kolgar said:

No expert, but the way I understand it the Lindbergh is a Pentium 4 with an Nvidia card that is very close to the RSX. So the main part that makes the game pretty is almost the same as the PS3's. That leaves an inferior chip to work on stuff like AI and the way the waves in the background crash. I wouldn't expect Tekken 6 to look a whole lot better than VF5 based on Lindbergh vs. PS3 alone.

Dali said:
No expert, but the way I understand it the Lindbergh is a Pentium 4 with an Nvidia card that is very close to the RSX. So the main part that makes the game pretty is almost the same as the PS3's. That leaves an inferior chip to work on stuff like AI and the way the waves in the background crash. I wouldn't expect Tekken 6 to look a whole lot better than VF5 based on Lindbergh vs. PS3 alone.

what makes more sense is, Tekken 6 started out as a PS2-based System 256 or System Super 256 game, then was moved to PS3-based hardware.

Virtua Fighter 5 probably had always been developed with Lindbergh
(Pentium 4 + GeForce 6800 + 1280 total RAM) in mind.

Dali

TheIkariWarrior said:
what makes more sense is, Tekken 6 started out as a PS2-based System 256 or System Super 256 game, then was moved to PS3-based hardware.

Yeah your probably right. Looking at all the old games whose target platform was one gen older than the system it ended up being released on (Ico, Shenmue, Rez, Onimusha to name a few), I think it is possible this was developed with the PS2 in mind, to start with. Those games made the jump quite gracefully.

Kolgar

MassiveAttack said:
Move to Japan and help them.

Great idea! Thanks for the contribution!

Or how about Namco just come to grips with the next-gen -- now CURRENT-GEN consoles -- and deliver something that looks good for a change? That's their job, not mine.

This is NAMCO we're talking about. A perennial leader in graphics and gameplay. We expect more from them. I suppose you're going to deny they seem to be struggling? They're FCKing up, period.

edit: OK, I'm done. Looking back over this thread, there's been sufficient outcry already; I'm definitely not alone in my disappointment. Over and out.

Midas

Sony really ought to help the developers, learn them all the "new" technology they've never used after years of PS2 developing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kolgar said:
Great idea! Thanks for the contribution!

Or how about Namco just come to grips with the next-gen -- now CURRENT-GEN consoles -- and deliver something that looks good for a change? That's their job, not mine.

This is NAMCO we're talking about. A perennial leader in graphics and gameplay. We expect more from them. I suppose you're going to deny they seem to be struggling? They're FCKing up, period.

edit: OK, I'm done. Looking back over this thread, there's been sufficient outcry already; I'm definitely not alone in my disappointment. Over and out.

Namco is really blowing this gen. They've been struggling since we first heard of Frame City Killer and they just don't really seem to get the next-gen paradigm...their games look like hi-res, fancy PS2 games instead of really next-gen things. I mean Gears of War probably has as few polygons in some areas as Tekken 6's backgrounds do, but GoW is a shader beast.

Andrew2

Banned
Mojovonio said:
i'm a little late, but damn does Tekken 6 look a lot better than last year.

That Tekken footage shown last year wasn't Tekken 6 at all, but Tekken 5:DR test footage. I'm assuming Namco was using it in place in place of the real Tekken 6...

XSamu

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Namco is really blowing this gen. They've been struggling since we first heard of Frame City Killer and they just don't really seem to get the next-gen paradigm...their games look like hi-res, fancy PS2 games instead of really next-gen things. I mean Gears of War probably has as few polygons in some areas as Tekken 6's backgrounds do, but GoW is a shader beast.
Don't you give Tekken 6 so much credit please. Anyway, yeah, it only comes out at the end of the year. So there's hope. I mean, no one is condemning Halo 3 because of the Alpha screens either

Shinobi

Kolgar said:

On point.

TheIkariWarrior said:

Lindbergh wasn't even state of the art when it was unveiled two years ago.

And WTF is all this talk about Tekken 6 originally being a PS2 project? Does anyone really believe that shit? It isn't like PS3's arrival was some big ****ing secret. Christ, the damn thing was scheduled to launch a year ago.

I guess Sonic the Hedgehog was originally a Gamecube project. And based on what DoomBringer said, Motorstorm was originally a N64 project. :lol That's a rather conveniant way of letting developers off the hook.

Mar

So I was away for 4 days on an interstate trip.

I return to... Silent Hill Arcade.

I honestly can't think of any worse news I've ever heard in my gaming history.

That's it Konami. Milk that series into oblivion. That's the way. Nothing matters as long as you get that money in your pockets right?

llTll

Banned
Martoo said:
So I was away for 4 days on an interstate trip.

That's it Konami. Milk that series into oblivion. That's the way. Nothing matters as long as you get that money in your pockets right?

for them? yeah ofcourse. thats why they are here anyway. to get money

Dali

Shinobi said:
Lindbergh wasn't even state of the art when it was unveiled two years ago.

And WTF is all this talk about Tekken 6 originally being a PS2 project? Does anyone really believe that shit? It isn't like PS3's arrival was some big ****ing secret. Christ, the damn thing was scheduled to launch a year ago.

I guess Sonic the Hedgehog was originally a Gamecube project. And based on what DoomBringer said, Motorstorm was originally a N64 project. :lol That's a rather conveniant way of letting developers off the hook.

I suppose when all those other titles (Ico, Onimusha, Shenmue, etc) began development on the Saturn or PSX, the developers had no idea DC and PS2 were right around the corner? I think it is possible that Tekken 6 was originally a PS2 project, and for you to rule that out as a possibility is foolish.

BocoDragon

What is it about Silent Hill arcade that just drives the fans nuts? Is it just that your logic travels down the same path that RE: Survivor cut in your brain? Gun game = Cash in garbage 100%?

BocoDragon said:
What is it about Silent Hill arcade that just drives the fans nuts? Is it just that your logic travels down the same path that RE: Survivor cut in your brain? Gun game = Cash in garbage 100%?

RE is about shock scares and gore. For a series like that, a rail shooter works.

Silent Hill is about unsettling atmosphere and isolation. It's a horrible fit for an on-rails arcade shooter.

BocoDragon

Night_Trekker said:
RE is about shock scares and gore. For a series like that, a rail shooter works.

Silent Hill is about unsettling atmosphere and isolation. It's a horrible fit for an on-rails arcade shooter.
But it's always jumping into White Noise mode, blasting loud music and sending you into rooms full of freaks.

I totally understand what you mean, SH games have traditionally been about slow scares. But could Silent Hill translate into a "freak funhouse" scenario, with lots of intense gunplay scenarios? I think it could.

Again, it's only bad if it's a bad game. You could do a SH lightgun game well. I hate it when people develop "taboos" that limit creativity.

Miburou

If the Silent Hill arcade game means more funding for further proper SH games, than I'm all for it.

As for Tekken 6, Tekken 4 didn't look so hot in pictures back in 2001, but it turned out ok in the end (not as sharp as VF4, though). I haven't really cared that much for Tekken since part 3 came out almost 10 years ago (God damn do I feel old).

Miburou said:
If the Silent Hill arcade game means more funding for further proper SH games, than I'm all for it.

As for Tekken 6, Tekken 4 didn't look so hot in pictures back in 2001, but it turned out ok in the end (not as sharp as VF4, though). I haven't really cared that much for Tekken since part 3 came out almost 10 years ago (God damn do I feel old).
no, i'm the same way. I remember plugging quarters in Tekken 3 like a god damn monkey because the gameplay was just f*cking awesome. The other versions of Tekken (aside from TTT) have just been "meh" to me.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BocoDragon said:
But it's always jumping into White Noise mode, blasting loud music and sending you into rooms full of freaks.

I totally understand what you mean, SH games have traditionally been about slow scares. But could Silent Hill translate into a "freak funhouse" scenario, with lots of intense gunplay scenarios? I think it could.

Again, it's only bad if it's a bad game. You could do a SH lightgun game well. I hate it when people develop "taboos" that limit creativity.

I dunno, I think they could've just dropped the Silent Hill part of the title altogether (along with the references). I don't think the IP is that strong anymore, as to garner a lot of interest. Especially not at arcades.
In any case though, without using 'Silent Hill' in its title fans wouldn't be upset and people would take it for what it is rather than what it should/shouldn't be.

As a big Silent Hill-fan myself, it doesn't bother me that much...I've actually been hoping for a more sophisticated, developed action-aspect in future SH games, because the battle systems in SH games have always been crap. But then again, SH has never been about running into a room, guns blazing, action. So I think a gun game like this isn't very hopeful in that regard, but I hope they have more deep and complex action in the next 'real' SH, while still retaining the classic feel and atmosphere. Because it's very possible to do, in different ways.

BocoDragon said:

What a bunch of horseshit. You talk about creativity, but if you had any experience with the SH series (which it seems clear you haven't from your posts) you'd know the very idea of this ****ing arcade game subtracts the very thing this series does best: creative subtlety. Maybe they could have made a cool, trippy arcade experience with SH- something unconventional (much like the original was in the console world), but they opted to make a rain-shooter for a quick money grab.

So what if it's "fun"? So is throwing oranges at monkeys. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I have yet to meet a SH fan that plays it for "lots of intense gunplay scenarios"- that is about as far from what Toyama, Imamura, and Sato intended for the series as you can get. Even with SH3 and 4 (which brought the 'action' up a notch higher than 1 and 2), it's never been about running, gunning, cursing, and big thumbs up as you wipe blood off your muscled jaw. It's about normal human beings in horrible, depression, disorienting circumstances. In ALL of the SH games, even when you have a gun, your aim intentionally sucks because you aren't some ex-cop or marine.

Is the arcade going to utilize that? Probably not, because your typical arcade goers don't give a rats ass about those kinds of details. They just want to pop .25 cents to $1 in and blast away mindlessly.

The way you defend the concept of a 'SH Arcade' rain-gun shooter shows me you've either never understood or appreciated the nuances and subtlety that the series has become known for, Boco. As you can see, those of us that have been following this series and become fans of it are pretty aware that this is nothing more than KCEJ cashing in on a series that was intended to be the 'anti-Resident Evil'.

I think the problem fans have with SH arcade is not that it won't be fun or good, it's that it's not SH.
If you will look at the game as a part of Silent Hill family, you can be angry, but when you look at it as a cool arcade game then hell, it might be awesome. I'd rather shoot crazy zombie nurses than bandits.

Tain

TheJollyCorner said:
You've never played Silent Hill, you're an idiot for not hating the idea of this game, you're a mouth-breather, and you'll never understand the subtleties of this magnificent work of art.
Christ, what an attitude.

Shapingo

Ynos Yrros said:
I think the problem fans have with SH arcade is not that it won't be fun or good, it's that it's not SH.
If you will look at the game as a part of Silent Hill family, you can be angry, but when you look at it as a cool arcade game then hell, it might be awesome. I'd rather shoot crazy zombie nurses than bandits.

Why does anyone even care (SH fans), most of them will never play the game anyway. It is like saying the horrible Resident evil light gun games ruined Resident evil 4 (and the series) because they weren't traditional.

I agree with you that it will probably be a fun light gun game and people should just take it as that.

Joe Molotov

BocoDragon said:

I think it's combination of it sounds like a crappy idea, and it also looks like crap.

Ynos Yrros said:

But what's the point?

The Silent Hill series has prided itself in being totally apart from other horror titles, in that it scares you with what you don't see. What might be around the next corner or behind that door. An arcade on-rails light gun shooter is literally the destruction of the concepts that the console titles have worked so hard to build. Just look at Origins for the PSP. Everyone had a hard time warming up to it because of its nature (i.e. - playing it in a well-lit public place with outside noise). Even now most people are still generally skeptical of how it will turn out.

To further detach itself from the intimate, emotional nature of the series, Silent Hill: The Arcade locks the player(s) in a public setting with tons of outside interference, characters cut out of a House of the Dead movie, lack of exploration, bland visuals, and the typical non-narrative that comes standard with arcade shooters.

What good could possibly come out of this game? I just pray it's not canonical.

BocoDragon

TheJollyCorner said:
What a bunch of horseshit. You talk about creativity, but if you had any experience with the SH series (which it seems clear you haven't from your posts) you'd know the very idea of this ****ing arcade game subtracts the very thing this series does best: creative subtlety. Maybe they could have made a cool, trippy arcade experience with SH- something unconventional (much like the original was in the console world), but they opted to make a rain-shooter for a quick money grab.

So what if it's "fun"? So is throwing oranges at monkeys. Doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I have yet to meet a SH fan that plays it for "lots of intense gunplay scenarios"- that is about as far from what Toyama, Imamura, and Sato intended for the series as you can get. Even with SH3 and 4 (which brought the 'action' up a notch higher than 1 and 2), it's never been about running, gunning, cursing, and big thumbs up as you wipe blood off your muscled jaw. It's about normal human beings in horrible, depression, disorienting circumstances. In ALL of the SH games, even when you have a gun, your aim intentionally sucks because you aren't some ex-cop or marine.

Is the arcade going to utilize that? Probably not, because your typical arcade goers don't give a rats ass about those kinds of details. They just want to pop .25 cents to $1 in and blast away mindlessly.

The way you defend the concept of a 'SH Arcade' rain-gun shooter shows me you've either never understood or appreciated the nuances and subtlety that the series has become known for, Boco. As you can see, those of us that have been following this series and become fans of it are pretty aware that this is nothing more than KCEJ cashing in on a series that was intended to be the 'anti-Resident Evil'.

All a bunch of assumptions that aren't even true. I played Silent Hill 1 back in 99. I bought all the games as they came out. I'm a fan.

You say that I must not appreciate the artistic aspects of the series in order to defend the arcade game? This is quite a claim, that because I do not buy into some fannish taboo I do not understand the series.

I just I do not care about limiting development to a narrow definition of what Silent Hill has been up until this point. I am not a Silent Hill fundamentalist. If you can take that framework and turn it into something new and interesting: I say go ahead and try.

Again, it's only bad if the game is bad. It could be terrible, but it wouldn't fail because of the concept.

This looks like something I can play with my girlfriend after a movie. It's a funhouse ride. Terminator The Ride, or some shit. The only reason I defend the concept again and again is because no one in this thread seems to be cool-headed about the concept. It's being slammed.... for what? more fanboy taboos. I just don't understand why we love to limit ourselves to what we already know.

Now Tekken 6? That does look like shit. :lol

Joe Molotov said:
I think it's combination of it sounds like a crappy idea, and it also looks like crap.

i guess that is two strikes :lol

BocoDragon said:
I see... as an ass-backward conservative thinker, I couldn't possibly hope to trick you with further pleas for creative stagnation and limitation, could I? :lol

If you don't understand why loyal SH fans feel personally insulted by this, nobody can explain it to you.

disappeared said:
But what's the point?

The Silent Hill series has prided itself in being totally apart from other horror titles, in that it scares you with what you don't see. What might be around the next corner or behind that door. An arcade on-rails light gun shooter is literally the destruction of the concepts that the console titles have worked so hard to build. Just look at Origins for the PSP. Everyone had a hard time warming up to it because of its nature (i.e. - playing it in a well-lit public place with outside noise). Even now most people are still generally skeptical of how it will turn out.

To further detach itself from the intimate, emotional nature of the series, Silent Hill: The Arcade locks the player(s) in a public setting with tons of outside interference, characters cut out of a House of the Dead movie, lack of exploration, bland visuals, and the typical non-narrative that comes standard with arcade shooters.

What good could possibly come out of this game? I just pray it's not canonical.
Like I said, you look at it as a Silent Hill game. I look at it as just another arcade shooter, that appeals to me more than HotD, because it has zombie nurses and pyramid head. After I'll have a total blast with this game, laughing with my buddies, getting it all out, I will come back home, to play SH5 in total darkness and silence.

2 different experiences, one doesn't ruin the other.

Top Bottom